April 16, 2014 | 975 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by girrl65

I have the other two BoS, not including AiWL. I really like this, but I did notice there are two shadows in this one that are in the BoS 1 (Smog and Last Call). Also, I swatched all the shadows from each BoS by color family and, honestly, if you have the other two you are not missing out. I can find dupes or near dupes for 80% of the shadows in the BoS 3 in the other two. I am wondering if I will even bother buying the BoS 4, if they decide to make one.

That said, this is a wonderful palette on its own. The colors are really pretty and you can do a wide range of looks. and of course, the quality if wonderful.

If you don't have any of the other BoS, you need this. NEED IT! However, if you have the others, I don't think this is a necessity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2010 5:39:00 PM More reviews by imeldita22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

Too cute to pass on this ! The shades are very fun and vibrant, and is very easy to blend. I wish that Urban Decay keeps making BOS more often with limited colors. It's such a good value and comes in awesome packaging ! Also, it stays on well with UDPP. Will definitely repurchase when they come up with more BOS.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Katjya

You know, i like it so much . The colors are absolutely beautifull and packaging is so magic and amazing but i like most naked palette. U know, when you went to school or job , you need nice brown and beige colors, so naked is most useful . The colors of book of shadow are nice to, but to colorful for a day i think.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2010 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Hollytron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This, to me, is the only BOS that is worth a dam(n). Volume II has the highest reviews but I already own all of the colors that are permanent and there are only two that appeal to me otherwise (like hell I would pay that much for two colors). This NY palette has an array of really, truly beautiful colors that are not gaudy or overly bright. It still has it's brights but they are mostly wearable and very chic.

The colors "Money" and "Loaded" are especially beautiful variations of greens that I have yet to see elsewhere. Loaded is actually reminiscent of their color "Lounge" but not as super-warm as "Lounge" is.

"Suspect" is another one of my favorites and it is great for a shimmery neutral and can be paired with some of the fantastic colors from UD's Naked Palette, or simply with some of their singles like "Twice Baked," "Toasted," "Underground," and more. Snatch is another in this family.

I am *so* happy to see "Rockstar" as an eyeshadow and the color is wonderful! This is a great color for a smoky purple, and blended with "Psychedelic Sister" can give some real drama and color (perfect for a night on the town)! Pairs beautifully with the "Rockstar" 24/7 Liner! "Bordello" and "Rockstar" are great together for a more subtle but still colorful purple smoke. Pair "Psychedelic Sister" with "Fishnet" single (deluxe e/s) for the HBIC look found on UD's website under, "Steal Our Looks." Very fun and beautiful look!

I never owned "Maui Wowie" before and *love* this color! So glad I have it! Great highlight or all over wash. "Uzi" is a wonderful color to play with for experimental looks or as a shimmering highlighter for eyes.

"Kush," "Radium," and "Haight" are fantastic brights that can be paired with darker colors or just in small amounts with neutrals (think Naked Palette!) for a pop of color. Wonderful!

Finally, "Last Call," "Perversion," and "Smog" are colors I have ("Smog" can be found in the Naked Palette), and they are all amazing colors. ("Last Call" was one of my first UD eyeshadow colors that I paired frequently with "Toasted.") The only color in this palette that I am wary of is "Mightnight Cowboy Rides Again." I have the single for "Midnight Cowboy" and I like it, but I always tap and blow just gentle on the brush to get rid of excess glitter *if* I even use the color (which is a gorgeous color but tricky to dodge all of that glitter). "Midnight Cowboy Rides Again" looks extra glittery... I may dip into it before a shower and see how it wears, but I don't exactly have high hopes.

Hope you found this helpful! This is truly the most gorgeous (and cute themed) of UD's BOS! Grab this while you can! I was never tempted for a single BOS until this beauty came into being. :)
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2010 9:32:00 PM More reviews by LameAssCatLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

This was my 1st major UD purchase and it was SO worth the $54.

The only thing that could make this better is if it had 2 Psychadelic Sister's in it!

If you can still find it, GET IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2010 12:36:00 PM More reviews by Xandria20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I will be adding to the chorus of great praise for this palette.

If you enjoy wearing colors OR even if you are a smokey eye kinda girl, this is an excellent palette to add to your collection. For those who have previous UD palettes there may be a repeat offender in Midnight Cowboy Rides Again.

There are about 4 glittery shades that have fallout. I dont touch these during the day and doubt in the end they will get much use. but the other 12 shades are awesome...I love them dearly and have used them all. In fact, to ensure I get my true money's worth, I have consistently been using *only* this palette since I bought it early November. I can create work appropriate looks (government accountant here), sultry date looks, fun night out looks, ect. It is surprisingly versatile. I do have AA skin so perhaps this is a factor in its wearability for me. I can see how having fair skin may limit your work looks depending on your environment and personality. I love color and I have a flair for the dramatic when appropriate. This suits my needs very well.

the packaging is over the top 'fun' but I can understand how it seems wasteful. Truthfully, I havent opened the top display since shortly after I purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by amyers2

I received this kit as an early Christmas present and I love it. Generally I wear more neutral colors but this is perfect for nights out or for anyone who likes to inject some color in their eye makeup.

As always the eyeshadows are very pigmented so the color payoff is great. Slight drawback - some of the eyeshadows are glittery (midnight cowboy / maui wowie). However, with such a wide assortment of colors, there's something for everyone.

It's also great that this kit includes two eyeliners. I like that it came with the standard black and then the fun purple (ransom). Plus - the amazing primer potion.

I know some reviewers don't like the packaging (i think the word used was tacky?) but I think it's cute and fun.

In my opinion - worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2010 9:07:00 PM More reviews by storybookheroine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Well this is not the color palette I would normally purchase for myself but being new to UD I wanted to see what it was about (plus I had a gift card so I felt like trying something different). The shadows are pretty nice texture wise but this palette is so not me. I'm not deducting for that, that's a personal call. I prefer neutrals and I do like the Alice palette and the Black Palette (I have the BOS2 and that looks promising). BOS3 I think is good for the people that like lots of color and especially if you like purples and pinks. It has some nice blues and greens and a few neutrals. Perversion is a nice edition to help smokey eyes along. I think this is excellent for more dramatic looks and the colors really shine at night time. I can't say I'm achieving looks that work for me with it but again it's more about my personal taste and I fine the sheen that most shades have to look too shiny on me, sometimes a tad frosty, and I was surprised by the amount of glitter bombs that went off on my face and I'm not anti glitter, just the massive fallout. I'm sure there are tricks around this and I did notice the darker shades apply nicer and will prettier colors if you wet them. For me this is a fun bit for the old collection but I'm more a Naked palette person. I do think this really is great for people that love to go out and party, it's just not really for me though I did notice quite a few shadows look darker in the pan then when applied so keep in mind that there are a few highlighting choices, they just all seem to have a fair amount of glitter.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2010 3:22:00 AM More reviews by cadabeijos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This palette has so many great colors for some amazing combos. I've used it a few times and am already anticipating creating a few other looks with it. UD shadows are always velvety smooth and extremely pigmented, and this one doesn't disappoint. A bit pricey at almost $60, but when you calculate how many shadows you're getting, it ends up actually being very bang for your buck. I've gotten a few compliments on my eye makeup after creating some looks from this palette, so I guess it's good! Nice and pigmented just the way I like it!(:

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 6:38:00 AM More reviews by voodoo_cat07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Part of the draw of this palette comes from the beautifully cute packaging - The New York skyline popup is nearly too cute to resist. That being said, the shadows are also of a good variety - you can find shades ranging from vibrant blue to orange. So far, I have yet to try all shades, but the glitter fall out especially from Uzi and Midnight Cowboy seem to be quite bad, even with Urban Decay Primer as a base. In addition, Loaded and Money, looks pretty in the palette, but is a bit too OTT to apply for day. I have yet to try the Naked palette, but this palette though versatile, seems more suitable for night use.