April 20, 2014 | 1624 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by bettyellen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought the new Xpressive that comes with a shaver trimmer also.... Bed Bath + Beyond's coupon took 20% off the 99$ price tag, and I figured it's handy to havve an electric razor now and again. Between the whole kit, I can stop buying razors totally!
Well I love it love it love it. I am not supposed to wax because of spider/ varicose veins- and I never got used to the shock of waxing, anyway... even though I loved the results.
Well, my first time, was a bit of a shock, but really only a minute later I was used to it- It's not so bad at all! I moved up to the closer full pain attachment with no trouble at all. So smooth !!! it feels like a waxing- with 1/10 the pain!! Now I did try my armpits a bit and that hurt something bad!!- but I know I will love the look and feeling of being clean there as I have a heavy ugly shadow all the time. so i'm going to try some more, and work up to it.
i am so looking forward to a vacation next month where I can leave the razor behind for a whole week. Would totally repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by sohysterical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have the Braun 5376. I wanted a cheaper one (this was $99 CAN, but everythings super expensive in canada) but when I went to London Drugs #1 (there are two in my city. One is downtown and terrifying to get to, one is out of town and super easy to get to) they were sold out, so I bought this one. Of course, I go to Scary London Drugs,. and they have the cheaper one in stock but by this point I was late and didn't feel like exchanging it. ANYWAYS.

Love it. This is a slimmer, more compact model, which I love. I'm a pretty small person, and seeing as I primarily use this for bikini-region grooming, this works perfectly. It comes with a bunch of interchangable heads, but I've only ever used the "Efficiency Cap" because I don't have the patience to go over everything 4 or 5 times. You also get a brush for cleaning, shaver/trimmer attachment and a nice little carry bag.

This was purchased as an alternative to waxing, and I can tell you (at least for the bikini area) it is much less painful. Whereas waxing is real pain, this feels more.. prickly, I guess would be the word. It;s more bothersome than painful. I also find it's much nicer on my skin, I'm considerably less red after epilating than I am post-wax.

The only downside is that you do need to run over everything twice, and there still are little strays left behind, but waxing is no different. It's also very, very loud.
But, all in all, I'm pleased with my purchase. Yay!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 6:11:00 PM More reviews by melbloom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Braun 5270 is another item I never would have purchased without the help of MUA- and it is by far the BEST. It's one of those "How did I ever live without this?" products. Does it hurt? Yep- in the beginning, it hurt like hell. But does it work? Yep- I haven't shaved my legs in almost 2 weeks and there are only a few stray hairs the epilator missed that are growing out. My legs feel much smoother than they ever did when I was shaving them. I have only had 1 ingrown hair so far (I've been epilating for 2 months). I think the fact that I use a pouf and moisturizing body wash on my legs every time I shower has helped prevent ingrowns. And after the first 2 times I used it, epilating didn't hurt anywhere near as much as it did in the beginning. Honestly, now I actually look forward to doing it as crazy as that sounds :) When I used to shave my legs, they felt stubbly only a few hours after shaving. Also, since my legs are so pale they always seemed to look 5 o'clock shadow-ish: not a look I was trying to cultivate. Now my legs are smooth for almost 2 weeks at a time, and there is not even a hint of any dark hair underneath the skin. And I really love the fact that I don't have to shave my legs every day anymore- it's great to be saving time and water! I am so looking forward to going on vacation and not having to shave my legs every morning before heading out to the beach. That said, here are a few tips that might help someone in using the Braun 5270:
- read the directions that come with it and follow them as closely as possible for maximum effectiveness
- skip using the attachment for newbies (the one with the little spiky rollers) and go straight for the flat attachment: it works much better
- make sure to keep your legs exfoliated and moisturized following epilating
- don't let fear of the pain keep you from trying this product- the pain is temporary, lessens with time and is nowhere near as severe as cutting yourself shaving.
To sum up, I am absolutely thrilled with my Braun and I would recommend it to everyone!!! In fact, I HAVE recommended it to everyone I know- they are probably all sick of feeling my legs at this point lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2008 7:45:00 PM More reviews by PrissyMcNut

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Due to comments on this page I purchased the cheapest Braun Epilator on Drugstore.com. I have trouble with hair removal methods generally. Waxing is expensive and I hate the in-between prickly stages. Plus, it seems to make me break out because of ingrown hairs and my generally reactive skin. Shaving causes me to break out, and no matter how closely I shave, I have some kind of five o'clock shadow on my legs afterward. Nair and similar products are just vile smelling and feel particularly unhealthy. And the smell lingers hours afterward. Oh, and my hair is dark and coarse and bleaching it looks...grotesque. I get electrolysis on my upper lip and bikini area, and fantasize about being able to afford laser hair removal. Last year I went to my dermatologist and asked her what I could do in terms of topical stuff and she said that the only way to make my skin stop breaking out was to invest in laser. Can't afford it. I have had some success in curbing breakouts in the bikini area by using neosporin on it afterward.
Soooo. I bought the epilator, and I've only used it twice, but I've been really happy with the results so far. The first time I used it I was kind of shocked by the pain, but noted that my skin was about as smooth as after a waxing session. Also, the chicken-skin effect (so sexy) only lasted a few hours, in comparison to the reaction I normally have with waxing, which is alot longer. A couple days usually, Also, for whatever reason, my legs did not break out in bumps. I just used the thing again (it's been about a week) and noted that pain was really minimal. It took a long time to go over my legs, and I had to go really slowly to cover all areas. Some hairs seem to be too short to capture, so my legs aren't totally smooth. I guess I don't agree with the postings saying that hair can't be too short with this thing, or with the model I bought. I don't know if I'd get even better results with one of the more expensive models. At this point, I'm in a wait and see stage with this thing, but if I am able to use it without any breakouts for the next while, I'll be really satisfied, because it seems to be working a little better than waxing, (less irritation, similar results) and because, it's really really cheap (full wax=$70.00 epilator=$45.00). If things continue to work out, I'll probably buy a more expensive model, because from what I've read here there is a marked difference between basic and upgraded models. This seems like it could be a really viable method of hair removal for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 8:11:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Personally I had too many regrown hairs and follicle infections, just like waxing, so it made my legs a disgusting mess.
However, if you can tolerate waxing then I think the epilator will be far cheaper and more convenient than waxing but with the same results, so may be worth a try...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 12:56:00 AM More reviews by indiangirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have used this product for well over 12+ yrs now. Yes it hurts like hell in the begining and it needs getting used to. But the results were so fantastic that I pushed myself to use it. The more you use it the better it feels. Don't let the hair grow out a lot. Even though I was smooth I used to use it every week so I would not allow the hair to grow back much and that helped ease the pain a lot. I used this machine over my entire body. I was quite hairy and I had been waxing since I was 13. I hate shaving and I have shaved just once in my life and would never do it again. My body hair esp on my arms and legs was very black, very shiny,very thick like a carpet and each hair was at least 1" long. I had way more hair than my brother!

Within 5 yrs of using this machine I lost about 50% of my body hair permanently and in these 10-12 yrs I would say I had lost about 65% of my body hair. 2 yrs ago I decided to go in for a full body laser hair removal when I went to India, where I go every year since my family lives there. I choose to do all my laser treatments in India because they are used to dealing with darker skin and all the lasers they use are more suited to darker skin. Since lasers work based on colour it is really important to find someone who is used to working with tan+ colour otherwise you can risk being burnt or worse. After just my 2nd treatment I have zero hair regrowth on my face and my entire torso. The regrowth in my underarms is next to nothing. I still have a few more treatments to go and since I only get lasered once a year I still use this machine in between the treatments mostly on my arms and legs but I am almost completely hair free permanently now with the combo of the two. It is my old faithful and is still going strong. Most of my friends bought this and some of them returned it but many of them love it. I wish I had had this thing when I was 13 instead of waxing! It really changed my life! I had so much body hair I used to dream about being hair free and to me it was a dream come true.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 12:25:00 AM More reviews by cloudy888

Painful the first few times everywhere used. Now I am so used to it that it's second nature. It's so much better than any other method, great results, slow hair regrowth and my thicker hair got finer over time and therefore I did not even need to epilate as often. Beware though, the longer the hair, the more the pain so even though I don't feel the pain now if I epilate regularly (1 - 2times a week depending on how well I want it done) if I let my hair grow long, then it hurts a little.
Don't use it on the face! Not a good idea at all. Go slow when you start! If you are getting hairs cut off rather than being pulled out, you are doing something wrong. I love mine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2008 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like my epilator! I have really sensitive skin on my legs and shaving breaks them out, leaving me with horrible, horrible razor burn. The only way I could avoid this razor burn was to shave once, maybe twice a week, only. However, I have super thick, super dark, course hair. Oh, did I mention I have really pale skin? I am so pale that even after I shave, I have a five o'clock shadow on my legs. Anyways, shaving has always been a nightmare for me. I either had a five o'clock shadow, stubble, or horrible razor burn.

Fortunately, I found the reviews for the braun epilator here, so I thought maybe, just maybe, this device would be my lifesaver. I bought the pink epilator at Ulta for fifty bucks and I ended up loving it. It's a great little machine. Far from perfect, but I love it.

We'll start with the pain. I've never waxed before and I don't consider myself to have a high pain tolerance. However, I didn't find the epilator to be that bad. It hurt the first few times I used it but after that I was fine. I've used it everywhere...legs, bikini area, underarms, forearms, belly, pretty much anywhere I have hair. It doesn't hurt my legs at all nor does it my underarms. My bikini area did sting a bit, but nothing bad. The only places I felt real pain were those with long, fine hair like on my arms. The epilator feels better on stubble than on fine hairs.

As for how well the epilator works, it works fine when it actually pulls the hair out of the root. My skin is left smooth and it takes a while (anywhere from three days to two weeks depending on what part of the body. My legs took a week or so to grow out, my underarms a few days) and I'm left with no irritation. My skin was irritated after epilating the first few times although the red bumps were gone within a few hours with the help of some aloe or regular lotion. It takes a whike to get all the hairs. The machine misses a lot of them so you have to go over and over again.The only problem is that the epilator only pulls out between 50 to 75% of the hairs that it actually touches depending on what area and how quickly you move the device (hint: GO SLOWLY!) The rest of the hairs are cut in half, just like they would if they were shaven, so they become stubble like in a few days. That means you have to epilate again or shave. Also, the hairs that were cut in half also have a tendency to grow in as ingrown hairs. That's super annoying. The key for me was to epilate as slowly as possible to minamize the cut in half hairs and then shave them. Then in a few days, epilate them again. I did this for a few weeks and eventually, most of my leg hair was pulled cleanly out by the machine. Once the hair has been pulled out by the root, it grows in soft, lighter (which is kinda amazing for me since I have dark hair) and isn't stubbly at all.

I still shave maybe once or twice a week to be super smooth and help exfoliate. I epilate once a week (takes about fifteen-twenty minutes) to get any regrowth.

As for areas other than my legs, I found that this works great on underarms. I never shave them anymore (it's easy to get all the hair there, unlike your legs, so you don't need to shave any spots you might have missed) and my underarms don't have dark shadow anymore.

As for my bikini area, I found epilating it just wasn't worth it. I use the epilator to go around the edges and get anything on the bikini line but for everything else, it's easier to just shave. It's hard to epilate because the hair growth is in so many directions and it's a bit painful.

I also use this on my tummy hair (I know I'm a very gross, hairy person) and on my forearms occasionaly. Neither of those areas need much maintenance.

Overall, this epilator is great! I'm still shaving and I'm not saving any time but my legs look so much better! No red bumps, no razor burn, no five o'clock shadow anymore. You can't beat that. I do have the occasional ingrown hair (there was a phase right after I started epilating that I had tons of these, but they've kinga gone away) but overall it's worth it. If you have more fine hair than I do, you might have even better results than I did since my hair is crazy thick and annoying. But I totally recommend this product, esp. if you have troubles like mine with my legs! I'm giving in a four because of the ingrown hair problems and the fact that it doesn't get all the hairs. But really, despite those things, I love my epilator!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2008 10:58:00 AM More reviews by IncaColaCutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really should start this review with a LOUD SHRIEK. This is a torture device. If you don't mind painful hair removal, you'll get better results with waxing. At least with waxing the pain isn't prolonged!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by boqueron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

General description of product:
This is a review for the Braun silk epil 5270, purchased at Target. The kit contains instruction, epilator, two epilator heads, a little carrying case, a brush thing to clean it with, and an attachment meant to clip hair if it is over the recommended length of 5mm. The directions note to ensure your legs are free of lotion and that hair is around 2-5mm in length before using this.
Out of the box:
I read the instructions (sort of) and had a look at the epilator. Upon seeing the epilating head I was completely panicked, thinking it looked like something out of a horror film. DH had a look too and promptly christened it the tweezers of terror. It does not look like tweezers, more like small scary razor sharp things. I was not excited to try it out. I read the instructions again to stall for time, and finally just turned it on. It has a little light on it, which is really helpful for those of us with really light hair. I held it at a 90 degree angle to my skin as recommended in the instructions, and approached my leg with it, backing out at the last minute. I went to the fridge, poured and quickly drank a large glass of wine, and before I could chicken out, quickly shoved it on my leg, afraid loss of limb or at least blood, was about to occur. The package does mention that children and invalids should not use this, but it doesn't say not to use it while drinking alcohol :) Well, as someone who tried the Epilady that came out in the late 80s or maybe early 90s, I was surprised to find this quick first pass relatively painless. I literally shrieked using one of the first Epilady contraptions in junior high, and decided that I would rather be as hairy as Tom Selleck than to ever try that again. This was different.
What it did: As someone who occasionally relies on wearing jeans as a viable alternative to leg shaving in the winter, I was shocked at how easy and relatively painless the entire experience was. I epilated one leg in only a few minutes and found my leg to be so smooth that I then wanted to remove the hair off pretty much everything. DH and dear cat ran for cover, either from the loud noise of the epilator or from my apparent desire to epilate everything in sight, I can't really say for certain.
Overall impression: My legs are still smooth after 8 days. I have been very careful to exfoliate to ensure that no ingrowns occur, and so far, so good! I will say that my legs are not super hairy anyway, I generally shave every three days and have fine, course, reddish blonde hair. Not sure if that matters or not! I am extremely happy with the epilator and would definitely repurchase! Now if only I can find a solution to the ONE grey eyebrow hair I seem to have sprouted...... continued >>

35 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No