October 21, 2014 | 1818 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by juneh84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for two weeks. I had decided to stop spending money on expensive facials, and the clogs (which had been kept at bay by regular extractions) reappeared all across my forehead and between my eyebrows. I was also losing the battle against hormonal (cystic) acne which had broken out all over my chin. I bought this after reading the reviews here and have been using it morning and night ever since.

This product definitely brings about purging - the breakouts got a lot worse before my skin got better. My forehead is much less bumpy now, and the product is starting to work on the cysts on my chin. I will continue to use this as it does unclog my pores - it seems to push the blackheads and whiteheads onto the surface of the skin where I can pick them off quite easily using gentle pressure, and it also seems to make the cysts come to a head, which makes it possible for me to lance and drain them.

That said, this product really does dry out my skin. I apply 12 or so small dots all over my face, over moisturiser (Jurlique calendula cream mixed with Clarins lotus treatment oil), and despite that I will feel a stinging sensation if I haven't applied the moisturiser generously enough. This also made my skin flakey, though I've managed to bring that under control by increasing the amount of oil in my moisturiser.

From the description on the packaging, it seems that the Duo is the most intensive treatment, followed by the A.I., which is for spot treatment, then the K, which supposedly prevents relapses. I hope to switch to the K once my skin clears up, but will still keep a tube of the Duo handy in case of breakouts.

5 stars for price because it is much, much cheaper than what I would have to pay for a facial. 5 stars for packaging because it comes in a squeeze tube with a small nozzle, which is not only hygienic but makes it very easy to control how much product is dispensed and where. 4 stars for overall rating because of how it dries out my skin, and because I would have liked it to work a lot faster than it has.

N.B.: I live in Singapore and we get the Made In France version which does not contain benzoyl peroxide.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by sophiedecay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG product for me hands down. I had a mild acne problem on my forehead/chin and some bumps(oil gland ducts i think) on my cheek few months back. I have tried everything to clear it and after watching modelrecommend's video.. I decided to try my luck.
It applies smoothly and feels like nothing on skin but within the few days i notice the bumps and pimple starts to clear out. I admit i breakout more during the initial use but my skin clears out. It does not sting my face like other acne cream.
It works as a primer and also a acne product so thats a bonus!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by happyathome

This has never made my face sting, feel dried out, nor break out even more. I have used a moisturizer previous to this containing niacinamide, and I ended up with a spot at least once a week. The formulation is like a creamy gel, with little fragrance. If there were a scent to detect it could be described as a medicinal citrus. It absorbs into the skin at an incredible speed, so I recommend rapid application. Normally in these colder months I require intense moisturizing on my cheeks every day, but suffice to say, I have not with Effeclar Duo, it moisturizes well enough.
This was my first purchase by LaRoche Posay and I considered it a tester to see if I should make the switch. I was faithful to NeoStrata for nearly ten years, and still am to just my prescription mixed with their toner. My hormones changed and I began looking into french pharmacie products and have not looked back. This, compared to the Effeclar K, is the heavier duty of the two, for those wondering. I had one to three spots at a time, then a week of clarity in between before another breakout. My skin type is not very oily, but oily/combo, and I would recommend starting with this over the K for those looking to rid themselves of any spots. Effeclar Duo has spurred me on to buy a cleanser and eye cream, both of which I can absolutely rave about.
My skin is almost out of its reparative state, and I have this moisturizer to thank for that. Once beyond, I look forward to maintaining clear and healthy skin once again. My only regret is not making the purchase sooner than the eight months I stuck with my old brand.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by CoCoChanel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't use this, this really irritated my skin and I only dabbed it on my blemishes, itched and stung like crazy, had to wash it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Sandraabde

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's cleared my skin for over 8 months now. I definitely recommend it for anyone with normal to oily skin, it does wonders! i only apply it on my t zone once a week, then daily on affected areas if needed (such as a break out). wanna buy again, but it's pricey.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Angelistic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a wonderful product for 3 years, and it is a great light exfoliate product. However, if you have mild-medium acne, this is not going to clear your acne right away. However, over the years it no longer works on me, and hence, I am looking into an alternative product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by princessmichelle

I have been using this product for 1 year now. I have been shifting products before I found this miracle product. I have been using it day and night and I use Effaclar Mat after I apply it. Plus La Roche Posay Uvidea tinted cream as my last step in the morning. Because of Effaclar dou my pores are incredibly smaller and I dont have occasional breakout which has been constantly popping out before and during my monthly period. I highly recommend this

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by letseat

I totally agree with plumsandmaroons review. I broke out initially everywhere on my face (purging?) and then my skin settle down as my pores became more enlarged.

I used to use this everyday to get rid of my blocked pores, however since it's helped me with my problem areas I only use it every so often on the areas where I need it. If you are looking for something to gently get rid of your acne this is your saviour. It's not something that works immediately but rather after a couple of weeks so you've got to be patient to see the results.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Musetta1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am using the formulation without benzoyl peroxide. I have very sensitive skin, which loves to clog up- I get a lot of tiny pore blockages and blackheads, but I rarely get pimples.

I apply Effaclar Duo after my moisturiser at night, as otherwise my poor skin gets too irritated, and that may decrease the effectiveness a bit.

However, it's doing what I want- I have less clogged pores, and a better texture overall, and of course, moisturiser actually works better when your skin is exfoliated. So, all in all, this is a good product to try if you have congested skin and want a more refined texture. My skin also seems to be a lot less oily, since I started using this.

I wish they wouldn't put fragrance in it, however. I like to chose what I smell like...

Edited: this did not seem to do much in the end, and I just got oily again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 5:23:00 AM More reviews by cortana09

Having dealt with acne for most of my life, I have tried most pharmacy products, not to mention antibiotics and prescription creams. I'd consider my acne moderate, and I can't actually remember the last time i was completely clear. I think i was pretty impatient so lack of product consistency may have been a factor in none of these ever doing the long term trick of clearing my skin.

I've been using Efflaclar and the gel cleanser together for about a 2 months now (a record for me!) and I've very impressed with the results. Although I'm not completely clear yet, I'm miles better than I was when I started and I'm pretty confident I'll get there soon.

I have the EU version which doesnt contain benzoyl peroxide. I'm allergic to that ingredient and I hear the US version has it, which might be where alot of the negative reviews here on MUA are coming from - due to the redness, itchiness, etc that benzoyl peroxide does to you.

That said, when i first started it felt a bit tingly/itchy on application. This is normal and your skin gets used to it. So dont worry if this happens to you, its just the product working it magic. Also LRP is formulated for sensitive skin and after all the things I do to my skin trying to get it clear, the gentle formula is a godsend!

The best thing about this is that it really give a GREAT matte look. Even applying overnight and waking up the next morning, my skin is still matte. And about after a couple hours after application, it completely smoothes out the skin and reduces redness.
Its great to wear makeup on too, that said, don't wear makeup over Effaclar duo overnight... I found i got clogged pores after doing that. I think it was too much heavy product on my face for it to handle!

All in all, its a decent price and will last awhile. I would recommend at least trying it and using it consistently!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No