October 25, 2014 | 1705 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 12:44:00 AM More reviews by thubbard

I got this liner with the Shining Stars Collection at ULTA. I am a newbie to pot eyeliners, but I have been wanting to experiment with one, and the gift set was perfect since I had been wanting to try the lip and cheek stain that came with it. With the set, this liner was an amazing deal, and I would probably buy it on it's own again too (I gave it a 4 in the price area because on it's own it is a bit expensive, but definitely worth it). I mainly wanted it for tight lining because regular liners always seem to smudge under my eyes (giving a lovely raccoon look) and I read that this has great staying power. I haven't yet experimented with using this for a cat eye look, but with a steady hand and some practice, I think it will be great for that too.

I use this with the Eco Tools angled eyeliner brush for only 3.99 (it didn't come with the brush since I got it in the set, which was kind of a bummer). It works pretty well, but I will need to invest in a smudge brush for the look I want to achieve. Once this stuff dries, it doesn't move unless you use makeup remover on it, so smudge quickly before it dries! I have been using the back of my hand to put product on and coat the brush so I don't dip back in the pot (and instead of using the lid to prevent if from drying out) and I had a hell of a time getting it off my hand after it had dried. Overall, I really like this product because it really stays throughout the day and has a nice matte finish--as opposed to liquid liners that dry kind of shiny. Tarte also uses natural ingredients, which is always selling point for me.

Also, this says it can be used as an eye shadow, but I haven't tried that out yet just because I don't normally wear a lot of dark shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by diesel3

Wow, I was so glad to find my new HG black gel liner in a gift set with a mini Tarte cheek stain, mascara and lip gloss. I have combination skin with apparently well hydrated lids because liner always fades on me quickly. I've tried essentially every other gel liner, and in terms of staying power I've found from best to worst: MAC Fluidline, Stila Smudgepot, Bobbi Brown (barely lasted till lunch), and then the drugstore stuff. I wanted to try out the new YSL gel liner but it looks like the reviews' consensus is that it just takes too long to dry. I have dark eyes and hair, so I enjoy a good black, and this did not disappoint. Whereas with the MAC Blacktrack Fluidline I'd have to reapply in the afternoon to keep the intensity of the black (their felt tip liner is good for this!), the Tarte black gel liner stayed all day and kept its super black intensity right until I washed it off. A first! I'm so impressed with this product, and I look forward to seeing if it can last as long as the MAC stuff can - I use it every day but I can literally wipe off the first layer once a month or so and there is perfect product underneath. I hope this doesn't dry out on me as fast as some other reviewers have claimed.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by cinderfallen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the liner in Bronze and though it doesn't work for me as a liner because it disappears with my skin tone (medium-tone Asian)--it's absolutely gorgeous as a shadow! Fabulous color and blends really well. Try it!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2011 9:14:00 PM More reviews by lotsofcolors

At first I loved this eyeliner (I got it in brown) but I was only able to use it for a few weeks before it dried out and became completely unusable. I would have returned it, but I had become attached to the brush that came with it. I have used pot eyeliners from mac, bobbi brown and stilla and never had a problem with any of these drying out. I would not recommend this product to anyone, but it gets one star for the brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2011 9:48:00 AM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a brown liner to use when black is just too harsh, and I ended up choosing this in Bronze. It's a great colour for me, and it's perfect for day or evening.
I currently have MAC Blacktrack, but when I wear it on just my upper lid it ALWAYS transfers to my lower one. I don't have this problem at ALL with Tarte. It goes on and stays on with no flaking, transfer or smudging. I would like to purchase it in black as well, but I hate having to buy the brush... it is terrible and a waste of money.
The only thing is, it doesn't work at all on my waterline. It came off almost right away. For that reason I will keep Blacktrack around, because when I dip a liner pencil into Blacktrack and draw it on my waterline it lasts very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by lindi828

I like gel liners but I have never found one that I could use on the upper inner eyelid. Well, this works! I can really put a nice line right in the lashes in the upper rim and it doesn't stray or smudge and it really lasts all day! My favorite of all time. I also have oily eyelids, I use a primer first and this still stays on wonderfully!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by paladique

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my first gel liner ever, and I think I'll be using gel liners a lot more if they are like this! It is so convenient that it comes with a brush and a tutorial on the back of the box. This is pretty waterproof and it seems to stay on all day! It also seems as if a little goes a long way with this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 10:25:00 AM More reviews by cupsoupable

I decided to make the switch from liquid to gel eyeliners on a recent trip to Sephora in San Francisco and picked up this which came in a set of black, bronze and olive green plus a double ended brush.

I was really happy with the brush quality. It was easy to use and I loved the double end because I can do thinner lines with the thinner end and do more dramatic winged eyes or blending with the wider end.
Lasting power for all colours was excellent and exceeded any liquid liner I've tried so far. I have quite oily lids and have used this with and without my TooFaced Shadow Insurance primer, and find it lasts in both cases quite well. After few hours I notice they start to look a bit shadowy/creasy if I don't use the primer. I've worn these on occasions where I've been crying ALOT and they didn't budge. I nap with these on regularly too (as a sleep deprived uni student) and my cat eye always looks perfect. My mascara on the other hand is a different story...
Colour payoff is also great and exactly what you would hope for. I use the bronze so much as I think it complements my green eyes really nicely. I found them a little steep, but I use them almost 4 times a week and they've lasted a long time so far. I've also heard some reviews about the liners caking up and drying out. I haven't had that problem so far at all. I do find the application can feel a bit gritty/unsatisfactory if the brush isnt really clean. I find sometimes bits of product dry on the brush so I make sure I clean the brushes with makeup remover before I apply.

Overall great product! Its exactly what I want from an eyeliner and so far I've only gone back to my liquid liner pen on mornings when I'm super rushed and have to do makeup in the car and taking a brush and pot of eyeliner is too much.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by KimberlyDoll10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently bought quite a few high priced items (or at least higher than what I am used to) and have not been overly impressed with them. This is one of those items (along with MAC Fluidlines). For the price I paid for this eyeliner, I would expect the application and pigmentation to be much better. Drugstore gel eyeliners have better pigmentation than these eyeliners and I do not like to apply layers of eyeliner. When I try to apply this, it also balls up and does not apply smoothly. Its such a pain in the butt and takes me forever to apply it, especially to my waterline, and I am not that patient in the morning! The only good thing I can say about it is it does have decent staying power on the upper lashline; it faded after 6 hours but it didnt flake or anything.

I do not know about how quickly it will dry up, but it already has a pretty dry consistency so I imagine it'd dry out fast. I do not think it'll matter too much to me because I doubt I will be reaching for this....shame I cannot return it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Meg14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this liner. I tried the maybelline gel liner in black and it started to get gray after a while and was a mess. I tried this in the plum shade and i really liked it but not the color so I got it in black, the formula was less thick, harder to work with, and the brush wasn't as stiff. I like this but I wish they would go back to the old formula.