July 29, 2014 | 2156 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by paladique

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my first gel liner ever, and I think I'll be using gel liners a lot more if they are like this! It is so convenient that it comes with a brush and a tutorial on the back of the box. This is pretty waterproof and it seems to stay on all day! It also seems as if a little goes a long way with this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 10:25:00 AM More reviews by cupsoupable

I decided to make the switch from liquid to gel eyeliners on a recent trip to Sephora in San Francisco and picked up this which came in a set of black, bronze and olive green plus a double ended brush.

I was really happy with the brush quality. It was easy to use and I loved the double end because I can do thinner lines with the thinner end and do more dramatic winged eyes or blending with the wider end.
Lasting power for all colours was excellent and exceeded any liquid liner I've tried so far. I have quite oily lids and have used this with and without my TooFaced Shadow Insurance primer, and find it lasts in both cases quite well. After few hours I notice they start to look a bit shadowy/creasy if I don't use the primer. I've worn these on occasions where I've been crying ALOT and they didn't budge. I nap with these on regularly too (as a sleep deprived uni student) and my cat eye always looks perfect. My mascara on the other hand is a different story...
Colour payoff is also great and exactly what you would hope for. I use the bronze so much as I think it complements my green eyes really nicely. I found them a little steep, but I use them almost 4 times a week and they've lasted a long time so far. I've also heard some reviews about the liners caking up and drying out. I haven't had that problem so far at all. I do find the application can feel a bit gritty/unsatisfactory if the brush isnt really clean. I find sometimes bits of product dry on the brush so I make sure I clean the brushes with makeup remover before I apply.

Overall great product! Its exactly what I want from an eyeliner and so far I've only gone back to my liquid liner pen on mornings when I'm super rushed and have to do makeup in the car and taking a brush and pot of eyeliner is too much.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by KimberlyDoll10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently bought quite a few high priced items (or at least higher than what I am used to) and have not been overly impressed with them. This is one of those items (along with MAC Fluidlines). For the price I paid for this eyeliner, I would expect the application and pigmentation to be much better. Drugstore gel eyeliners have better pigmentation than these eyeliners and I do not like to apply layers of eyeliner. When I try to apply this, it also balls up and does not apply smoothly. Its such a pain in the butt and takes me forever to apply it, especially to my waterline, and I am not that patient in the morning! The only good thing I can say about it is it does have decent staying power on the upper lashline; it faded after 6 hours but it didnt flake or anything.

I do not know about how quickly it will dry up, but it already has a pretty dry consistency so I imagine it'd dry out fast. I do not think it'll matter too much to me because I doubt I will be reaching for this....shame I cannot return it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Meg14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this liner. I tried the maybelline gel liner in black and it started to get gray after a while and was a mess. I tried this in the plum shade and i really liked it but not the color so I got it in black, the formula was less thick, harder to work with, and the brush wasn't as stiff. I like this but I wish they would go back to the old formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2011 4:58:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am not a gel eyeliner fan to begin with, but I will say, Tarte's waterproof gel liner lives up to its claim of staying put. I was able to line, including inner rim, and it didn't budge until I used a biphase eye makeup remover. (Clinique.) Having said that, this color, Shimmering Black Night, is black with some glitter, and the glitter is kind of piecey. I think that is weird and a bad idea. I can see metallic shimmer in a liner, but glitter pieces unless thick and heavy for theatrical effect are dumb, in my book. I would use the non-glitter colors of this liner. It is not easy to get this on because as you brush it over the lid, the very characteristic that makes it stay put makes it stay put if you put it in the wrong place. It does brush out with a smudger to some degree, but I found it harder to line with this. Still, if you have oily lids or sweat or are outside, this liner will stay put.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by nadiasaurus

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

k so THIS IS WATERPROOF, at least for me. i wore a thick winged line on my upper lash line to swim in my pool. i literally put my head underwater a bunch of times and this did not smudge,smear or anything. the pigmentation was faded a bit--it wasnt as black as it started--but the shape was still there,i had no raccoon eyes! this is definitely my go-to liner for the summer on the east coast!!easy application,truly waterproof,creamy and pigmented :]

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by chrissie99

I had a nasty reaction to a product with parabens so I decided to switch to paraben free products. The rep at sephora recommend this eye liner. I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The black is highly pigmented and it came with the brush. The product easy to apply and lasts all day. A little goes a long way and the jar will last a long time. Well worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pigmented, sets as well as some of the better cream/ gel liners I've used and goes on smoothly. All around a good gel liner. I love the brush it came with. Personally it's been a dream to apply the liner using it. I can do the cat eye/ wings with ease. I'm happy with this purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this, I really did. The black was super pigmented, the dry time was pretty average to other gel liners of its ilk.

But I really have a problem with brands claiming that something is "waterproof" and clearly never field testing prior to its release to ensure that the product is what it claims. Did anyone at the company actually check to see how this liner holds up UNDER WATER?

I put a good amount on my hand, let it dry and spritzed my hand with water. This definately was not waterproof and in fact, started to crack and peel off my hand easily. When compared to other gel liners (Stila, Napoleon Perdis, Smashbox, etc), when I did the water test with those, even after spritzing my hand heavily with water and rubbing at it, those would not budge. So the Tarte ones for sure fall short in the performance aspect.

And trust me when I say, I have field tested a LOT of so-called waterproof eye products when I was preparing for an underwater photoshoot I was working on. And there is no way I would ever buy these to use as they would probably disinegrate and flake off the minute water hits it.

And yes, I do realize that the average person is not going to be wearing makeup under water, but there ARE a lot of women who DO wear some eye makeup while on vacation, while at the pool, at the gym or just someone like me that NEEDS waterproof eye products because I have to put in eye drops 4 times a day because of dry eye. And since it disinegrated so much with just a little water spritzed onto it, forget wearing this on the waterline.

Totally disappointing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2011 4:20:00 PM More reviews by smn93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this! I have it in Black and it's super pigmented. I like the fact that I don't have to keep going over the line I've applied. It also wears really well on my waterline; it's the longest lasting eyeliner I've ever used. That being said, it's actually quite easy to remove with makeup remover. As far as using it as a shadow, it's hard to apply all over your lid smoothly if you use your fingers. However, if you use a cream shadow brush, it goes on super creamy and nice.