December 21, 2014 | 868 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

In my ongoing search to replace my HG pressed powder foundation (EM), I have tried many many options and thought I had succeeded w/ Avon Smooth Minerals until about 1/2 thru, the product got hard = couldn't get any more out w/out digging!

ME: MAC = NC15; EM = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude. I'm in my mid 40s, slightly drier cheeks, slightly oiler t-zone, not super sensitive to breakouts, redness/slight rosacea on cheeks, nose, chin, several melasma spots.

This stuff does a decent job as far as pigment if applied w/ a flat top brush (I use either my EM or SK), but if I want to completely cover my melasma and redness, I have to go over those areas w/ my damp Beauty Blender sponge. I do not apply under my eyes as a liquid concealer or foundation works better there. Also, I find it goes on easier and more even if applied over a primer (I use monistat.)

Bisque is a nice match for me. I have since purchased the full size and I do like it, just wish I didn't have to do a 2 step process - I still miss my 1 step EM...:( I always set my MU no matter what I"m wearing but I did go 2 days w/out setting and I recall this foundation lasting about 8 hours w/ a need to blot my nose/chin 1x at 4 hours. W/ the UD = lasts from 6 am until 10:30 pm.

I put I would re-purchase, but not sure due to expense and the fact I have to apply in a 2 step process....I may continue to research/experiment....

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 1:44:00 AM More reviews by NudeBlush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great mineral foundation. Love the fact that's it's pressed powder. No more getting loose mineral dust on my clothes. It has medium coverage. Lasts throughout the day and easy to apply. I buff it in with a flat top brush. Will I buy again? Maybe if it weren't so pricey.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 2:24:00 AM More reviews by osomao

This product is simply THE BOMB– but man does it cost a pretty penny. It comes in lots of shades, enough to match any skin tone- notably one with yellow undertones like mine, which seems to be a struggle more often than not. Otherwise, this powder is very natural looking yet still buildable, and gives just the right amount of radiance (I despise when powders completely cut your natural "glow"). And perhaps best of all, it doesn't break me out! Highly recommended... just expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by phdivette

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried several mineral powders and most make me look ashy...not many are good for African American skin. But this one I have fallen in love with, especially since it has sunscreen and makes my skin feel healthy. I wear the Butternut, which looked like it would be too light on me, but it does darken a bit after mixing with your skin and oils. Must wear moisturizer under and wait until your moisturizer has absorbed. It feels very light on the skin, unlike other powders or liquids/creams. I like that the compact, which feels luxurious since it is medal, is refillable. I don't mind paying more since it works. I am sensitive but have had no problems with breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this pressed mineral powder foundation for years, long before I joined MUA and never thought to review it! I adore it. It's fast, easy and doesn't look cakey or fakey on my skin. I apply it over primer and/or moisturizer with a fat powder brush and it evens my skin tone and looks natural even in bright sunlight. I use liquid or creme foundation for "dress" but this perfect for every day when you're on the run. The SPF 20 in it is non-irritating and effective, too. I am very fair with blue undertones and use the color Satin. The color selection is vast and the product lasts a long, long time. Definitely recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Is this a love it or hate it product, or what? Really not good for my sensitive, oily skin, which broke out in tiny white blistery pimples within a day or two -- after the huge ordeal of finding the right shade. Major pore clogging, and I'm almost 60! I suspect it's the algae and/or pomegranate extracts. Yet it seems to work for many.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by bebikayz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have such problem skin--its very dry and acne prone. I never thought a powder foundation would for me due to my skin being incredibly dry but somehow it works. It actually has decent coverage as well which again surprised me. Sometimes I will use a tiny bit of concealer over blemishes but overall it covers imperfections. Never again will I go back to my chemical filled liquid foundations from sephora! I have been searching way too long for line and I can't believe I discounted mineral foundations for so long.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2012 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Jaclyn86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Was recommended this by a friend who swore it was her HG powder! I carry this around for on the go touch ups, and find it a really soft and finely milled product. Doesn't irritate my skin and is very blendable. Gorgeous compact! Will definitely be checking out more from this range! Perfect setting powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by shelsbells

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the most amazing makeup on the market! It has made the inflammation in my acne go down and people have been telling me that my skin looks really healthy. I am using the d2o hydration spray with it and would recommend that as well!! without the spray the powder doesn't look or sit on my skin very well

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by gioja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After having read the many good reviews here on MUA I decided to try it because I’m still on the quest for the perfect powder foundation, especially for the summer when I’m too lazy to put too much make up on. All in all I like this powder. In few words:

Pros:
• Natural ingredients, not nasty chemicals (but be aware of algae if you are sensitive!)
• Very natural look and buildable coverage (light to medium)
• Long lasting
• Easy and fast application
• Huge colour range esp. in the medium dark depth

Cons:
• Very expensive especially considering that with daily use it lasts 4-6 months
• Poor availability/distribution: You can only buy it online or at spas or skin doctors and they usually don’t have the full colour range available.
• It oxidizes and darkens after a while. The colour you see in the pan is not what you will have after application, especially after the powder melts with your skin oils.
• The coverage is good if you have normal or dry skin but combination or oily skins will need some additional help.
• The main active sunscreen consists of titanium dioxide which doesn’t offer a broad spectrum protection against UVA like zinc oxide would.

My main problem with this is to find the right shade to match my skin tone. I know that JI has an exceptional service that provides you with many samples but if you live outside of the USA the service is not available. So I browsed on the web and I finally decided to go for Natural, as it was one of the few cool shades in the light-medium depth. When it arrived I was almost disappointed because it looked very fair and slightly too yellow toned for me.

The second problem is that it oxidized because, even if right after the application it looked very fair and had amazing coverage, after some hours, when it melted with my skin oils, it darkened in a medium beige tone and became more transparent so that some skin imperfections were visible, so I reapplied it again and it was much better but still darker than I originally wanted it to be. Nevertheless I could use it in summer over my slightly tanned skin.
End of summer I bought it in Ivory, which is a very light rosé with a slightly beige undertone and for this reason I would put it in the cool range family rather than the neutral. This it is too pale for me when applied on its own an makes me look sick and ghostly and has an unflattering shine.
I finally bought it in Light Beige which seems to be slightly lighter than Natural but it is a very pinkish beige and for this reason it darkens my complexion a lot and looks blotchy. I will try it again when I am tanned.

I guess that the perfect shade for me would be a lighter version of Natural but it isn’t there. I could try Warm Silk or Bisque but I’m afraid that they are too yellow and after having spend so much money without having found the right one I’m a little weary now and I want to give up or just keep wearing Natural and try to brighten it with a bit of Ivory on the top.

What I really like of this foundation is the very easy application. A few swirls with a brush wherever you are and you have a flawless face, at least for the next few hours. I use the Sephora brush #43 because I already had it and I think that it is a rip off to pay the exorbitant sum also for the Handy Brush you are supposed to use with.

If you find the perfect colour, it looks natural, no cakey effect at all, and it can last long, especially with a primer. For this reason sometimes I uses it also as finish powder over a liquid or creamy foundation, when I use some, and for this purpose or for touch ups I use a smaller or fluffier brush.
I’m not really fond of the case as it is to heavy, which is an important issue if you have to carry it in your purse.
All in all is a good powder make up if you find the right colour but if not it can be very very annoying.