July 24, 2014 | 1360 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by gioja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After having read the many good reviews here on MUA I decided to try it because Im still on the quest for the perfect powder foundation, especially for the summer when Im too lazy to put too much make up on. All in all I like this powder. In few words:

Pros:
Natural ingredients, not nasty chemicals (but be aware of algae if you are sensitive!)
Very natural look and buildable coverage (light to medium)
Long lasting
Easy and fast application
Huge colour range esp. in the medium dark depth

Cons:
Very expensive especially considering that with daily use it lasts 4-6 months
Poor availability/distribution: You can only buy it online or at spas or skin doctors and they usually dont have the full colour range available.
It oxidizes and darkens after a while. The colour you see in the pan is not what you will have after application, especially after the powder melts with your skin oils.
The coverage is good if you have normal or dry skin but combination or oily skins will need some additional help.
The main active sunscreen consists of titanium dioxide which doesnt offer a broad spectrum protection against UVA like zinc oxide would.

My main problem with this is to find the right shade to match my skin tone. I know that JI has an exceptional service that provides you with many samples but if you live outside of the USA the service is not available. So I browsed on the web and I finally decided to go for Natural, as it was one of the few cool shades in the light-medium depth. When it arrived I was almost disappointed because it looked very fair and slightly too yellow toned for me.

The second problem is that it oxidized because, even if right after the application it looked very fair and had amazing coverage, after some hours, when it melted with my skin oils, it darkened in a medium beige tone and became more transparent so that some skin imperfections were visible, so I reapplied it again and it was much better but still darker than I originally wanted it to be. Nevertheless I could use it in summer over my slightly tanned skin.
End of summer I bought it in Ivory, which is a very light ros with a slightly beige undertone and for this reason I would put it in the cool range family rather than the neutral. This it is too pale for me when applied on its own an makes me look sick and ghostly and has an unflattering shine.
I finally bought it in Light Beige which seems to be slightly lighter than Natural but it is a very pinkish beige and for this reason it darkens my complexion a lot and looks blotchy. I will try it again when I am tanned.

I guess that the perfect shade for me would be a lighter version of Natural but it isnt there. I could try Warm Silk or Bisque but Im afraid that they are too yellow and after having spend so much money without having found the right one Im a little weary now and I want to give up or just keep wearing Natural and try to brighten it with a bit of Ivory on the top.

What I really like of this foundation is the very easy application. A few swirls with a brush wherever you are and you have a flawless face, at least for the next few hours. I use the Sephora brush #43 because I already had it and I think that it is a rip off to pay the exorbitant sum also for the Handy Brush you are supposed to use with.

If you find the perfect colour, it looks natural, no cakey effect at all, and it can last long, especially with a primer. For this reason sometimes I uses it also as finish powder over a liquid or creamy foundation, when I use some, and for this purpose or for touch ups I use a smaller or fluffier brush.
Im not really fond of the case as it is to heavy, which is an important issue if you have to carry it in your purse.
All in all is a good powder make up if you find the right colour but if not it can be very very annoying.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by nesquik1993

it's nice and matte, and the cover is buildable. it's not so heavy

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have to agree with GypsyRose - this product may not be as kind to mature skin. So those over 50 or 60 should definitely use a good moisterizer underneath to achieve a flawless look. This product works for every day now that I'm retired, but I would not purchase after using the samples I received directly from JI. I think this would be a good product for younger, less mature skin.

Note: You can call JI directly and request sample colors of the pure pressed base. I experimented with a couple of shades at my local spa and did not want to shell out the bucks without testing since there was a no return policy from the spa retailer.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by miribeau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

NO! No, no and no. If you have oily skin or live in a hot climate or happen to be an active sort of person, this makeup will cake horribly. I've never met anyone who was able to use this product without a mattifying cream or lotion primer AND naturally dry or dryish combination skin to put it on. Don't waste your money like I did. They won't tell you this down at the Planet Beauty, but, if you have oily skin, you must use as few products as possible (so your skin can breathe) and your foundation should be a light, very light, thin lotion or liquid, oil free and marketed (and reviewed) as being good for acne prone skin and oily skin. A powder will just end up absorbing the oil and cracking. Oil and powder do not mix.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by GypsyRose23

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love this product. I've been using it for years in the Bisque shade (fair skin). It was recommend by my derm because I was having sensitive skin issues for a time during my 20's - 30's. I've always used it over a moisturizer (after allowing time for absorption of course) with only dark circle corrector underneath.

On younger skin (dry/combo skin that is), it gives a matte porcelain finish that lasts a long time without frequent touchups. I also like that it has an SPF 20 factor that is provided naturally by the high content of titanium dioxide. I don't spend much time in the sun, so I've always felt this was protection enough for me.

Sadly, as my skin has aged, I notice the powdery consistency isn't as kind to my complexion as it used to be. As every woman over 40 knows, powder and fine lines don't mix well. Even though this product doesn't crease in the fine lines, at 50 yo, the powder does draw attention to them, especially around my eyes when I brush it over the dark circle corrector.

Because I love this product so much, and because I would highly recommend it to younger women, I'm now experimenting with ways to continue to use it without putting it around my eyes and my mouth. So far, I've had some luck with using a tinted foundation primer (Clinque City Block SPF 25). It holds my dark circle corrector in place without having to dust with the foundation. It also provides similar sunscreen protection with natural ingredients, which is important to me. If I only use the JI sparingly, I can still achieve a mostly matte porcelain finish, though it's more complicated now than it was 20 years ago.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2012 4:34:00 AM More reviews by Magapurna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was talked into buying it at a Spa but I think I was advised the wrong shade (light beige - too dark for me!). It was very expensive but has lasted a long time. It didn't really work on top of a moisturizer alone (I was all shiny within 60-90 minutes!) but a moisturizer + OC8 combo did the trick. It lasted for a good few hours.
The coverage is quite good and it's easy to build up.
I like the fact you can buy the refill only - the "gold" case is rather posh and altogether too much for a make-up item (very heavy as well!)! It is very expensive - I'm now planning to try EL Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Make-Up...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Marsaries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for a while now, in alternance with the Missha BB cream. After my Everyday Minerals fiasco, I was so happy to finally find Jane Iredale pressed powder.

It is light, packed with antioxidants, and gives me the perfect coverage - I was matched to Radiant which is just the perfect tone. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing make up as opposed to regular foundation or even the BB cream at times. My skin is in very good condition and I only have a few blemishes and a bit of redness to hide and this is perfect for it. I do have to touch up mid afternoon but I have oily skin so I have to put up with retouching no matter what I put on my face.

Worth the price and I will certainly repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Techers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This did not work at all for me. First it was difficult to get a color match. When I found the right shade, I discovered that this product did NOTHING for me. It looked unnatural and did not offer any coverage. I have used drug store products that work much much better---looking more natural, offering more coverage and a lot less $$$$ The only positive thing I can say is that this did not seem to break me out (although I only used it a few times---so I'm not sure)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by richellealexis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this powder for years, and while I have since switched to a different product, I still believe that Jane offers one of the best pressed powders on the market. Although it is outrageously expensive ($56 CAD), it still has incredible skin care benefits to it. As a skincare expert (and being trained in Jane Iredale products), I strongly stand by the fact that Jane is essentially 'skincare makeup'.

I see most users that didn't like it only tried it once. One thing that many Jane Iredale retailers forget to mention is that over time, your skin will get BETTER after using this product. Not going to lie, when I started using Jane I didn't like it either. I thought I was breaking out too much and my skin wasn't happy, however after a few weeks my skin was 100% flawless. I always remember my trainer telling me that this poweder essentially 'de-craps' your skin. Don't forget - things will always become worse before they get better. This pressed powder is meant for those who have normal-oily skin types, and if you find that you are more on the dry side, I would definitely give the loose powder a try (which is meant for dry-sensitive skin types). Best thing to do is to speak to an esthetician who has been trained on Jane Iredale products and knows how to apply it.

Should you choose to buy this product, it is a MUST that you purchase the Handi brush with it. Might seem like you're breaking the bank but I promise it is worth every penny. It is a little fluffy brush with a flat surface allowing you to apply the makeup evenly all over your face, and it will last you a lifetime.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by LuxeLuver374

I have been using this in Bisque as my daily foundation for three years now and it is a vital part of my makeup routine. I apply it over moisturizer and set it using Jane Iredale's Hydration Spray, but I've also worn it without the spray and it looks just as good. I visit a dermatologist for acne issues and it was she who recommended this product. Used with concealer, it effectively reduces the redness of my breakouts and gives my skin that 'airbrushed' look. My T-zone is oily, but I've also dealt with massive dry, flaky patches on my chin. This powder does not accentuate the dry patches, as I first feared it would; rather, it smooths them out enough so they're not so painfully obvious. Coverage is certainly buildable but it is still very pigmented. One compact of this lasts me for 7 or 8 months, with daily use. The price, while spendy, doesn't bother me because I like to use higher-quality products for the sensitive skin on my face.