October 2, 2014 | 1306 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by phdivette

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried several mineral powders and most make me look ashy...not many are good for African American skin. But this one I have fallen in love with, especially since it has sunscreen and makes my skin feel healthy. I wear the Butternut, which looked like it would be too light on me, but it does darken a bit after mixing with your skin and oils. Must wear moisturizer under and wait until your moisturizer has absorbed. It feels very light on the skin, unlike other powders or liquids/creams. I like that the compact, which feels luxurious since it is medal, is refillable. I don't mind paying more since it works. I am sensitive but have had no problems with breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this pressed mineral powder foundation for years, long before I joined MUA and never thought to review it! I adore it. It's fast, easy and doesn't look cakey or fakey on my skin. I apply it over primer and/or moisturizer with a fat powder brush and it evens my skin tone and looks natural even in bright sunlight. I use liquid or creme foundation for "dress" but this perfect for every day when you're on the run. The SPF 20 in it is non-irritating and effective, too. I am very fair with blue undertones and use the color Satin. The color selection is vast and the product lasts a long, long time. Definitely recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Is this a love it or hate it product, or what? Really not good for my sensitive, oily skin, which broke out in tiny white blistery pimples within a day or two -- after the huge ordeal of finding the right shade. Major pore clogging, and I'm almost 60! I suspect it's the algae and/or pomegranate extracts. Yet it seems to work for many.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by bebikayz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have such problem skin--its very dry and acne prone. I never thought a powder foundation would for me due to my skin being incredibly dry but somehow it works. It actually has decent coverage as well which again surprised me. Sometimes I will use a tiny bit of concealer over blemishes but overall it covers imperfections. Never again will I go back to my chemical filled liquid foundations from sephora! I have been searching way too long for line and I can't believe I discounted mineral foundations for so long.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2012 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Jaclyn86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Was recommended this by a friend who swore it was her HG powder! I carry this around for on the go touch ups, and find it a really soft and finely milled product. Doesn't irritate my skin and is very blendable. Gorgeous compact! Will definitely be checking out more from this range! Perfect setting powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by shelsbells

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the most amazing makeup on the market! It has made the inflammation in my acne go down and people have been telling me that my skin looks really healthy. I am using the d2o hydration spray with it and would recommend that as well!! without the spray the powder doesn't look or sit on my skin very well

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by gioja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After having read the many good reviews here on MUA I decided to try it because Im still on the quest for the perfect powder foundation, especially for the summer when Im too lazy to put too much make up on. All in all I like this powder. In few words:

Pros:
Natural ingredients, not nasty chemicals (but be aware of algae if you are sensitive!)
Very natural look and buildable coverage (light to medium)
Long lasting
Easy and fast application
Huge colour range esp. in the medium dark depth

Cons:
Very expensive especially considering that with daily use it lasts 4-6 months
Poor availability/distribution: You can only buy it online or at spas or skin doctors and they usually dont have the full colour range available.
It oxidizes and darkens after a while. The colour you see in the pan is not what you will have after application, especially after the powder melts with your skin oils.
The coverage is good if you have normal or dry skin but combination or oily skins will need some additional help.
The main active sunscreen consists of titanium dioxide which doesnt offer a broad spectrum protection against UVA like zinc oxide would.

My main problem with this is to find the right shade to match my skin tone. I know that JI has an exceptional service that provides you with many samples but if you live outside of the USA the service is not available. So I browsed on the web and I finally decided to go for Natural, as it was one of the few cool shades in the light-medium depth. When it arrived I was almost disappointed because it looked very fair and slightly too yellow toned for me.

The second problem is that it oxidized because, even if right after the application it looked very fair and had amazing coverage, after some hours, when it melted with my skin oils, it darkened in a medium beige tone and became more transparent so that some skin imperfections were visible, so I reapplied it again and it was much better but still darker than I originally wanted it to be. Nevertheless I could use it in summer over my slightly tanned skin.
End of summer I bought it in Ivory, which is a very light ros with a slightly beige undertone and for this reason I would put it in the cool range family rather than the neutral. This it is too pale for me when applied on its own an makes me look sick and ghostly and has an unflattering shine.
I finally bought it in Light Beige which seems to be slightly lighter than Natural but it is a very pinkish beige and for this reason it darkens my complexion a lot and looks blotchy. I will try it again when I am tanned.

I guess that the perfect shade for me would be a lighter version of Natural but it isnt there. I could try Warm Silk or Bisque but Im afraid that they are too yellow and after having spend so much money without having found the right one Im a little weary now and I want to give up or just keep wearing Natural and try to brighten it with a bit of Ivory on the top.

What I really like of this foundation is the very easy application. A few swirls with a brush wherever you are and you have a flawless face, at least for the next few hours. I use the Sephora brush #43 because I already had it and I think that it is a rip off to pay the exorbitant sum also for the Handy Brush you are supposed to use with.

If you find the perfect colour, it looks natural, no cakey effect at all, and it can last long, especially with a primer. For this reason sometimes I uses it also as finish powder over a liquid or creamy foundation, when I use some, and for this purpose or for touch ups I use a smaller or fluffier brush.
Im not really fond of the case as it is to heavy, which is an important issue if you have to carry it in your purse.
All in all is a good powder make up if you find the right colour but if not it can be very very annoying.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by nesquik1993

it's nice and matte, and the cover is buildable. it's not so heavy

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have to agree with GypsyRose - this product may not be as kind to mature skin. So those over 50 or 60 should definitely use a good moisterizer underneath to achieve a flawless look. This product works for every day now that I'm retired, but I would not purchase after using the samples I received directly from JI. I think this would be a good product for younger, less mature skin.

Note: You can call JI directly and request sample colors of the pure pressed base. I experimented with a couple of shades at my local spa and did not want to shell out the bucks without testing since there was a no return policy from the spa retailer.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by miribeau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

NO! No, no and no. If you have oily skin or live in a hot climate or happen to be an active sort of person, this makeup will cake horribly. I've never met anyone who was able to use this product without a mattifying cream or lotion primer AND naturally dry or dryish combination skin to put it on. Don't waste your money like I did. They won't tell you this down at the Planet Beauty, but, if you have oily skin, you must use as few products as possible (so your skin can breathe) and your foundation should be a light, very light, thin lotion or liquid, oil free and marketed (and reviewed) as being good for acne prone skin and oily skin. A powder will just end up absorbing the oil and cracking. Oil and powder do not mix.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No