July 22, 2014 | 1411 users online

Polishes - Essie - Tart Deco

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by TeresaAnn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this because the color looks wonderful with my fair skin. I have a few Essie colors and they are okay.... Streaky? Yes. But the colors are lovely and Tart Deco was no exception. I had to apply 3 coats (I try to make them as thin as possible to avoid chips) but even waiting 15 minutes between each coat, it pulled and was sticky on the brush. I suppose next time I am tempted by an Essie polish, I should just keep my $8 in my wallet and save money, time, and frustration.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by nkar23

grossssssssss color on me. looks like i dipped my finger in a highlighter. very cheap looking. and the formula is runny and takes forever to dry. dont recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2012 8:32:00 AM More reviews by Relaxamour

I was really surprised to read all these negative reviews...
I usually stick with OPI - cause it has cute looking bottles, good quality nail polish and an easy to apply brush. Sometimes I make a switch to Essie because their variety of colors is just somewhat more outspoken sometimes, and definitely this season.

This color is just b-e-a-u-tiful, absolutely amazing. And this is the best Essie nail polish I have ever bought by a mile, kid u not. I still don't like their packaging (the white top,...) - but the texture of the nail polish is somewhat thicker than the previous I've bought (not thin like water like water like they usually come and you really need to pack the layers on there to get some even color), but most importantly the brush is different now and makes it way better to apply. Essie nail polishes usually have such tiny little brushes it's quite difficult to apply without it looking like a 5 year old just had some fun coloring your hands and fingernails. Especially when you have somewhat longer nails. But because they sometimes do have colors that OPI doesn't have I just tried my best with whatever the brush could do for me.
But I was really very happily surprised to see that they finally got their brush problem figured out (and their texture problem too, but - the brush was definitely the most annoying thing for me).
In the store I was so struck by all of the somewhat more lighter pretty colors for this summer that I picked up several bottles at once. And I hope the other ones comes with the same brush (and texture) - cause right now I'm in Essie heaven :)
The color is indeed somewhat darker on the nails than it is in the bottle - but really just a little bit. And I did apply 2 coats... but it looks stunning either way. Definitely worth buying it, and I would recommend it to everybody. There's not a skin color out there that can't work this pretty color!
And I apply a top coat all the time, every time - simply for protection. Doesn't hurt the color at all.

And for the majority of people here Essie comes for a good 8$ (USA) - here (Europe) Essie comes for more than twice that price (17$). And it's really money well spend on this one. Promise!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by reallyrita

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Here goes yet another review. I bought this polish off of a promo display. It is the tart deco color #584. In the bottle it is a gorgeous soft melon orange. On my toes it is nearly a neon orange with no softness to it at all. It actually looks pretty good on my tanned feet. I have light olive skin. However, this was a streaky thick nightmare with the same old skinny Essie brush. Just not worth the headache. I applied a clear bottom coat (OPI) and one miserable color coat. I have to say it was pretty darn opaque with just that one coat but it was so thick and gloppy that I dared not add a second coat. I let it dry thoroughly which took quite a while and then I applied an OPI topcoat. Next day I had a few minor tip chips that I had to fix and then I added yet another clear top coat. The streakiness has evened out considerably. I was planning on just taking it all off. For all the work and coats, I will try and get the remainder of the week out of this. Don't be tempted by this color in the bottle. It is not the color you will end up with on your nails. Unless you are very experienced or a pro, you might just want to leave this one on the store shelf.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2012 11:00:00 PM More reviews by FiestyFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you're looking for a nice pastel peach/coral nail polish, this is not the one for you. However, if you're looking for a cantaloupe shade (as another reviewer described), then Tart Deco is spot on. It really does dry a shade or two darker than the color in the bottle, although I've had no issues with it changing color after applying a topcoat. I'm finding that I like Tart Deco much better than when I bought it a couple of years ago. It's still not my favorite color, but it's something fun and different for me because I don't really wear oranges. I had no issues with the formula, which is odd since everyone else seems to think it's thick. Two coats was perfection on me! It was definitely a much better Essie formula than some I own. I would not repurchase Tart Deco, simply because it's not one I wear often and not my favorite shade.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 12:55:00 AM More reviews by nubletta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This polish is a good reminder of why I dislike Essie's nail polish formula. But as usual, the beautiful colors and easy availability reel me into buying another color. I also had a coupon for $2 off, so I ended up paying $5.79 instead of the common $8 price tag.

Tart Deco is a peachy orange color. It's a lot brighter on the nails than it is in the bottle. The formula is pretty horrifying. It's thick and streaky, similar to Mint Candy Apple's formula. It took 3 coats to get an even color on my nails. It's appropriate for spring as it is a bit pastel. Such a shame that the formula sucks as it is a pretty color. But it's more work than what it's worth.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2012 10:52:00 AM More reviews by lovinvanilla

I've been on the hunt for a lighter milky coral with a creamy finish and Tart Deco was close to what I was looking for. It comes out about two shades darker on my nails than the colour in the bottle, but it is still very pretty. It looks almost neon but in a bright pastelly way. Even on my pale skin this is a flattering pop of colour and a great shade for spring. A Crewed Interest, on the other hand, made my skin look a bit dead and washed out

I'm not quite sure yet if I would buy it again, as the formula is a bit on the thick side and not the easiet to apply. Two coats gave full opacity, though it was almost impossible to apply this thinly. The colour is very nice and cheerful though!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/30/2012 1:00:00 PM More reviews by spinthedeck

Oh how I wanted to love Tart Deco (TD) - it's a super pretty coral-orange-peach color, absolutely perfect for Spring/Summer. It looks lighter in the bottle, yes, but although it applies more orange than I expected, it somehow flattered my super pale skin, especially in the sun/natural light. The formula, however, is just terrible - a streaky hot mess, by far the worst Essie I've ever owned. I just couldn't get TD to apply evenly, it needed 3 coats to be fully opaque & then it just looked goopy/messy. I plan on exchanging this for another shade.

Side Note: I've read on blogs/reviews that TD tends to change color once a top coat is applied so I wanted to test this theory w/the 3 top coats I own: Revlon Extra Life No Chip Top Coat, Beauty Secrets Top Coat (blue bottle from Sally Beauty) & Seche Vite. I saw NO color change at all with any of the top coats, good news if you happen to find a bottle of TD that applies decently & works w/your skintone!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 4:16:00 AM More reviews by Discod

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Colour not like in the bottle. This is a bright neon pastel coral and is very difficult to apply without looking like a 5 year old child did it. It streaks. Without a doubt the most horrible nail polish I have ever bought. I like Essie, but not this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 1:11:00 AM More reviews by CrystalNicole017

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

In the bottle this color looks like it's a light peach. The color is actually a very bright coral it's orangey with a very slight pink look. It's not a pastel color it seems slightly like a neon polish but doesn't dry quite as matte. In comparison it looks a lot like Essie's "Haute as hello" but they are both different when applied. Haute as hello is a light coral color that is neon. Tart deco is a bright creamsicle orange color. I swatched it before buying it so I knew it wasn't a light peach like it seemed. I really love it I think it's a fun color the only downsides for me was it applied very streaky and you kind of had to apply it thickly due to the formula it chipped after only two days.