L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This product has been around for quite awhile, but I'm not sure why.
When I picked this up about a month ago, I really had high hopes. Unfortunately, it falls far short of my expectations. I gave this product two lippies because of the packaging. It comes wrapped in a little black box and a nice glass jar with a black lid. Sitting on the counter in my bathroom, it almost looks high end.

At least, until I opened the jar....
I've tried several different ways of applying this, and I haven't really found a good one. The best one I've found so far is a foundation brush, but I've found that the primer is streaky and the texture is really gummy. I've had the same problem when applying it with my fingers. It seemed that no matter how much I tried to blend it into my skin, it was just a gummy, gluey mess. Plus, it was really hard to wash off of my hands. When I applied my foundation over it, the foundation became streaky as well and was nearly impossible to smooth out.
In desperation, I even tried applying this with my beauty blender and ended up having to wash it several times just to get all of the gunk off of it. For $13, I'm sure there are far better primers available. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Pur Minerals primer I also have in my stash, which applies smoothly and beautifully. I intend to use this up but I will definitely not repurchase. This is definitely a miss for me.

on 2/3/2014 1:43:00 PM

I've never really been one to use primers. I tried a liquid primer once in the past and didn't like it so when I saw the ads for this I decided to give it a shot. It goes on the skin with a nice matte finish and really helped reduce the appearance of the enlarged pores I have on my cheeks and forehead. It didn't help with the fine lines around my eyes and mouth though. I found after a couple of hours it just built up in them and made them stand out even more. My main problem with it was that I found it was a horrible base for my mineral powder foundation. I tried letting it sit on my skin for a little while before applying my foundation the second time I tried it but it didn't make a difference. It made my foundation streaky and uneven. I also am not a fan of the packaging. A squeeze tube would be much more sanitary and would probably reduce the price quite a bit! Will not be repurchasing.

on 2/3/2014 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Skin type: moderate acne (6-10+ active spots), oily all over, dry around certain acne spots, uneven skin tone due to acne scars (not deep, just miscolored surface level spots), fair skin with yellow undertones. Basically, my skin is every girls worst nightmare.

Okay, I love and hate things about this product. My skin type is obviously very complex, but, even if you have my skin type, this still could have hope for you yet! I have tried this primer over moisturizer (completely dried before putting on primer) and with just my cleansed skin. When paired with my moisturizer underneath, it was horrifying. Every zit that I had all of a sudden started peeling in those little flakes that you literally cannot get off without using tweezers and ripping half of your face off (gross, I know, deal with it). Without the moisturizer underneath, it still gave me a lot of these flakes, just not AS bad.

Despite that, the texture and the way this made my face feel though was completely incredible. It was smooth, soft, and my pores were not gone, but definitely less noticable. Now the real question - did this help the longevity of my make-up? Answer: yes, but only by an hour, maybe two. But for someone with oily skin, that is still a great improvement. It looked and felt great, but even with my foundation on over this primer, the way it peeled at my skin (though it didn't hurt at all) made it too difficult to try to correct and fix every day.

I would stay give this product a try at least because there are a lot of positives to it - it just didn't work well with my active acne spots.

on 1/9/2014 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

LOVE THIS PRIMER! It is very thick and it fills up all your pores and makes your skin look smooth and matte. This product makes my skin look so nice that sometimes, I use it without any foundation. You do need to let it set or it can make your skin look a little oily but if you wait a little, it does the job! It's pretty expensive but I guess it's worth it till I find something better. I wish the tub was bigger for the price and I wish it wasn't a tub that you stick your fingers in but aside from the cons, it's a great product and I will definitely buy again!

on 1/7/2014 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
-mattifies skin without drying it
-reduces the appearance of pores
-can be used as a base under liquid foundation
-no odor or color

cons:
- increases acne on the skin (more pimple, blackheads)
-packaging of the product is not hygienic because you have to put your fingers in the jar
-very expensive for a pharmacy beauty product !

Over all, it's not a bad product, but it seems to bring my skin more acne problems, and it is very expensive. I won't rebuy. The Lise Watier Base-Miracle works better for me

on 1/7/2014 4:13:00 AM

I bought this due to the good reviews but I was severely disappointed in it. This was the first primer I ever used and I was really excited to see how it would work. I found that the thickness of the formula made it difficult to spread the product along my skin- it did not glide as I had read in other reviews. It did not make my skin look nicer or more even or more natural. It definitely didn't make my makeup stay on longer, I'm fact, I noticed it shifting sooner in the day. The only good think it did was make my skin feel slightly smoother and make the pores on my nose smaller, hence the two stars. I hate to leave a bad review, but this product really disappointed me.

on 12/15/2013 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I love this product when I put it on it makes my skin feel smooth, though it does crease under the eye!

on 12/11/2013 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using this product for about a year now. It does an excellent job of minimising the look of my large pores and mattifying my skin without drying it out. It doesn't add colour (or give my skin a dull, grey look) so it's perfect to put under another product or use on its own for a natural look.

The effect lasts for a few hours, but will then give an oily look, so best to combine with a good blotting product throughout the day.

on 12/2/2013 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have to say that I absolutely love this primer. I recently bought the Smashbox primer and I hated it! I returned it the following day and instead went and bought another tub of this primer. It is very, very thick and definitely fills your pores. I probably wouldn't recommend this to those with dry skin because I have combination skin and it definitely seems to make my dry patches stand out more. I have very large pores on my nose and along my cheeks and this primer fills them in beautifully and makes my skin look very velvety smooth and perfect. You do need to let it set for a minute though to really sink in, otherwise it kind of slides off when you apply your makeup. I love this primer and for the price I will probably be using it for a very long time.

on 11/29/2013 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Pointless. All primer is made up of is silicone I don't even have super oily skin but I feel like this just makes a tacky barrier that makes my makeup slide right off my skin. If your looking for something to give you a smooth even complection this is not it. Did not make my foundation last longer nor 'glide on' to my skin. Do not waste your time.