December 22, 2014 | 1658 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this product so badly, but it did not work for me personally.
I tried the original formula. On their website, it says for best results to use a finishing powder. They are not kidding. Use one with this foundation.
This truly is the CREAMIEST mineral foundation.
BUT, I have oily skin and this just made it more oily. I had to blot all the time, although I will say the makeup stayed put even with the constant blotting.
And so then I broke out. Not awful, but I did start getting small whiteheads that I was not getting before I started using this.
All in all, this did not work for my skin, but I can definately see how it would work for others. The coverage is nice, creamy, and natural looking. I think this would be great for those with normal to dry skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by contrariwhys

(Sampled the original formula.) Sadly this broke me out. It also creases a bit around the eyes as a previous reviewer pointed out. I will possibly try the Lucy Minerals light formula to see if I get better results. The thing that separates this from other mineral makeup in my opinion is it's water resistant qualities which allows for it to last longer in humid conditions. For now though, I will stick to Everyday Minerals (matte base and jojoba base) as it doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my first mineral makeup purchase ever because I was always afraid of venturing into mineral powders because of all the irritating and pore clogging ingredients like bare minerals. So I did my research and came to the conclusion that the formulation Lucy 'light' in the shade cream cream would be my best match (NC 15/20) The Lucy light formula is perfect for very sensitive and reactive skin types which is myself. My skin is very acne prone and will break out from anything I use on it, so my skincare routine is very simple. Anyways the light formula is perfect for me because it has very few great ingredients:
Ingredients ~ zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides
The coverage is medium-full depending how many layers you do. The trick to applying this is stippling it in very thin layers as to prevent it from getting cakey.
It has a semi-matte finish, however after a few hours my skin feels very oily,so I have to blot frequently throughout the day with this on, but i love it so much I don't really mind.
I would recommend this to anyone and everyone!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by liladriana07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always use foundation because I was never sure how well mineral foundation would work on me. I have oily, acne-prone skin but I was hearing so much about this, so I wanted to give this a try. After doing some research, I came to conclusion cream would be the best match. This gives great coverage in one application. I couldnt believe it. Good color match, great pigmentation. But here are the drawbacks. It cakes up after 30 minutes, it doesnt last long. If I can find a good primer or setting spray, I would throw away all my liquid foundation and keep this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by mrclark2

I was really excited to use this product after reading the reviews, but it just isn't for me. It doesn't really blend well, it settles into the SMALLEST lines, cakes, and makes me break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by marissaz6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Before I found this makeup I thought Colorstay was the only answer for full coverage, but it takes me forever to apply correctly and I missed using a mineral makeup. I had used Everyday Minerals in Medium a few years ago, but my skin had become more dry and it no longer worked as well. I think Lucy colors are generally darker than EM; I got samples of medium, light medium, and bisque. The bisque was surprisingly the best match, although it's a bit yellow. I mix water and jojoba oil and wait until it dries, then I tap the foundation on with the Lucy flat top buffer brush. I've found that I don't really need the finishing powder. On my first order, the bisque I received was off color compared to the sample but after a quick e-mail they had no problem shipping me a new one. Great makeup at a good price and wonderful customer service.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am NC15, acne prone, redness, very dry in the winter and very oily in the summer and between I am normal. This stuff is amazing. This stuff is very pigmented, natural looking and buildable. If I am applying this all over, I use a flat top kabuki brush like the one by Everyday Minerals. If I am applying it in areas of redness and not all over my face, I use my ELF small tapered brush for areas like around my nose,chin or cheeks. I start out with one thin layer and then I go back and add more to areas that need more coverage. You really only need a little bit, so I see this lasting a very long time. This has a creamy texture, so I don't see this working for me on very hot days unless I use a matte finishing powder. On days I am super dry I just apply another layer of moisture on top of my sunscreen. Also, this is great for setting my under eye concealer. This lasted all day for me, however, I am a nursing student and I am not running around all day. So I am not sure how long it lasts with excessive sweating. I am the shade Pale Olive or mixing 3/4 white and 1/4 cream. I have been using this foundation since August 3x a week and it doesn't even look like i put a dent in it
EDIT 1/8/2013: I STILL LOVE THIS STUFF. I also like using it as a spot concealer for pimples and under my eyes. It covers so well
EDIT 3/6/2013: I still love this! Right now I have redness issues and it conceals it really well!
EDIT 9/8/2013: I just finished a "try it" size (not using it exclusively) and I still love it! I no longer have redness issues but it really evens out my dry skin without clinging to dry patches! I have already bought a full size
EDIT 4/30/2014: I Still love this product and I still agree with my above review. However, after I stopped using it when I ran out of it, I found it was the culpit of my breakouts :( The ingredient in it was the magnesium. If this does not irritate your skin I highly suggest this product 100%. I am not changing any of the ratings because of my skin's sensitivity because I still think it is an amazing product.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by The13ig13adWolf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me start by saying I've lurked on these product review boards for years and have received such great information, thank you for that. I'm gonna try to be as thorough and detailed about this product as possible so bear with me if it gets long. I'll give some background on products I've tried and coloring towards the end.

I'm so excited about this product (I've only tried the OCS) and even more excited that after trying different application methods over the past few days, I had my "ah ha" moment today and managed to achieve a flawless, medium coverage, natural looking, non-cakey finish. I wash my face with Daniel Kern and apply moisturizer with a drop of the Ambrosia Multi Task oil (this product is amazing and smells fantastic). After that absorbs I apply primer (Avon Magix face perfecter on my t-zone, holds make-up and reduces visibility of pores). I then sift a small amount of the OCS in a little plastic container and use a MAC concealer brush (can't see the number, it's one of the older ones) to dab some powder on the areas that need more coverage (break-outs, brown spots or redness). I then gently put the top of my MAC 187 flat-top brush into the powder and VERY LIGHTLY stipple (not dabbing or buffing but barely hitting the surface of my skin) the powder on my face in a quick downward motion. I can't stress enough how you barely have to touch the skin with this. I have buffed it and stippled it a little harder than necessary and that causes a cakey, unnatural finish. After letting it sit for a few minutes I reapply another very light layer in a light downward sweeping motion to blend everything. I follow that with MAC blushcreme (lightly applied with fingers to the apples of my cheeks), MAC sheer pressed powder with a Kabuki brush (all over to blend out the blush and set the foundation) and Model in a Bottle finishing spray after my eyes are done. This routine gave me a flawless finish. I live in a hot/humid climate and work long hours both inside/outside, sometimes in the elements, so I am always experimenting with products that are water resistant and long lasting. This lasts all day without fading and does not take long at all to apply.

I have only been using this for a few days but if my skin is going to react badly to something it does within the first 24-48 hrs (sensitive combo skin with oily t-zone). I am also using a drop of the Ambrosia Multi Task oil in the evening with a little water and after one night of use I could see a visible difference in my skin (very smooth looking and feeling, less redness on problem areas, my skin loves it). I am still experimenting with the finishing powder and plan on purchasing the Lucy Minerals Flat Top Buffer and Blush brushes although the MAC ones I'm using work just fine. I also plan on experimenting with their other products (great range of colors including lots of neutrals).

Bisque is an absolute perfect match for me but Light Medium seems to be pretty close as well (I have dark brown hair, very dark brown eyes, light/med neutral skin with cool undertones) I think Shell Beige will be good when I'm a little tanner. I use NC25 in MAC.

The customer service at Lucy Minerals is second to none. They are so pleasant, ship quickly (ordered, shipped, received within 3 days), include wonderful freebies (your choice) with your purchase and will customize foundation as others have mentioned. They really do work hard to please the consumer and genuinely care about producing great products with great ingredients.

Now the list of products I've tried for reference purposes and if I can remember how they reacted on my skin: Hourglass (flawless finish but slipped on me and didn't last very long), Cinema Secrets, Diorskin (colors and finish not good), Gerda Spillmann Bio Fond (great for my skin but felt heavy and oxidized), Estee Lauder DW (covered well but heavy and stiff feeling), Estee Lauder DW Light (too light, I like med-heavy buildable coverage), Clinique Superfit, Clinique Workout, Nars Firming, MUFE, Tarte Recreate, Shisedo (colors and finish not good), MAC Pro Longwear, Guerlaine Parure Extreme (loved this, flawless finish, long lasting but made me break out), Teint Idole Ultra 14hr (was my HG before they discontinued it and I found Lucy Minerals), Teint Idole Ultra 24hr (heavy, oxidized, made me break out), various drug store brands including Almay and Neutrogena...there may be more that I can't recall. I had temperamental skin growing up and was always very self conscious about it (hence the laundry list of products).

Lucy Minerals is my absolute new HG and I'm so excited that I tried it based on the reviews here. If my skin continues to react to it the way that it has thus far, there will be no need to experiment with any other products.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by lguerringue

Recently bought a sample after reading the great reviews! I use this over my lioele bb cream and then put a bronzer on top. This makes my skin look great! It definitely looks better as the day goes on. I have some redness from acne spots and probably wouldn't be comfortable just wearing this alone in the winter, this would be a great summer foundation.

My shade in MUFE is NC 15 and I chose light. I think I picked the perfect color not sure how some of these girls are saying they are around my skin tone and are getting the olive colors. I apply this with an elf flat top and it works great with a really dense brush.

Only concerns I have are I feel like when I use this I am oiler at the end of the day, but then again my bb cream is dewy and I haven't tried lucy's by itself. Also it magnifies my pores, have no idea why. I have never been concerned/had problems with my pores so that isn't really a big deal.

I will repurchase for the full size, can't wait for summer to come back!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by na2x

I really wanted to love this foundation with so many raving reviews, however this broke me out and clogged my pores terribly! After using the sample and found my shade (NC 25 - Creamy Bisque), I went ahead and bought 3 full sizes with the sale they had going on. I noticed every time I used this foundation, by the end of the day I would have tiny bumps and whiteheads that would pop up. But I kept using it for about a month and had to finally stop when my whole face had tiny bumps everywhere. I've bought the original and OCC and it had no difference in oil control either. This foundation actually made me oilier by the 2 hr mark and I had to keep blotting with blotting paper (I'm combo skinned). I went back to my EDM foundation and the break out lessened (but I still think I can't use mmu bc this breaks me out a little too). Still on the hunt for a foundation for my acne prone skin! *SIGH* This foundation has such a creamy texture and very good coverage, that it's a shame it didn't work for me. My face looked flawless upon first putting it on but after a few hrs and the long term was a disaster for me. I bought the flat top kabuki brush also which i recommend.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No