November 26, 2014 | 1732 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

"For broad-spectrum SPF 50 touch-ups," I asked myself, "How bad can this be?" The answer: so bad it's unusable. This stuff comes in an adorable orange compact that contains a rubber, hot pink application sponge. The darkest color offered is called "Natural Beige". There are no testers of this in drugstores, and you can't see the product in the package. Natural Beige seemed like it could work for nose & pore touch-ups, and that powdered SPF is something I need so badly...

Natural Beige is almost eggshell white - cream colored maybe? In comparison with the shades on MAC's website, it looks like an NW15. I'm an NC35. In the Winter.

I'm used to a lack of available shades in drugstore makeup, but that's not what I dislike most about this product. The texture is very, very hard. It doesn't spread well on my face, and after one use it got a dark coating on the top of the powder that makes it even hard to get any powder on the brush. If I were to use it again, I'd have to scrape the nasty coating off the top. I thought this may be translucent enough to get by (for the SPF) but it makes my face hilariously pale.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by KitoX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a big fan of foundations w/high SPF, but I just couldn't find a shade that complimented my MAC NC42/CG Translucent Honey skin tone. It didn't cause any breakouts to my acne-prone skin, & it did a pretty good job of controlling oil. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if they came out w/a good match, but for now it only comes in 4 colors.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

I bought this in a bonus pack along with the tinted moisturizer last summer. While I love the TM, I really don't care for this product. I find that it has a tendency to pull a little orange on me, although the color looks perfect in the pan. I have the translucent medium shade which I got with the light to natural TM. In all fairness, that TM is a little dark and I usually will mix it with a touch of regular spf to tone it down. But looking at previous reviews, it looks like this particular shade pulls orange on a lot of people. I'll stick with my MAC Studio Fix or Lancome powder foundations. For the regular price of this, I'm not saving a whole lot anyway. I get far enough SPF protection from the TM where this isn't necessary.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2011 12:15:00 AM More reviews by la18la

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i purchased this powder in translucent medium for my oily, uneven-toned skin

i love it! it's the only thing that has controlled my oil slick. i wear it in two ways:

1. i use a fluffy brush to apply it over my foundation and it does cover without making me lose the dimension in my face. after a while, my t-zone becomes a bit shiny, but i blot it with rice paper, and it never comes back!! i used to have to reapply powder all the time and even blotting papers would not work. this is amazing.

2. i use it with the sponge over a light moisturizer. this gives me a lot more coverage, but i don't like it as much as when i use it lightly.

pros:

-doesn't break out my acne prone skin!! (even when i slept in it.

-high spf

- buildable coverage

-controls oil!!!!! the ONLY thing that has ever kept away the shine (with the help of one blotting paper)

cons:

-i don't like putting it on with the sponge that much. you can tell i have makeup on.

the compact is fine. i understand some might not like the colors, but it's cute enough.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2011 10:11:00 PM More reviews by angelinuh

I use this whenever I need a little extra coverage. It works great on giving me an even skin tone and a matte finish. I love that it has a SPF 50 in it. The makeup pad is very sturdy and easy to wash. I use translucent medium and it makes me look fresh faced and alive. I am NOT heavy handed with this product, so it doesn't feel chalky or look cakey. If you build it up though I could see it where it could get to that point - probably is best for people like me who have naturally dark eye lids and an oily t-zone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2011 9:46:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

Since I can't stand sticky sunscreens, this was an impulse buy when it was first launched. I was so excited to find a powder sunscreen at my local drugstore! This goes on quite sheerly with a foundation brush but a sponge gives better coverage. The sponge that comes with the compact is awful. I purchased the Translucent Medium as the lightest color looked way too pale on my skin. This one does turn a little orangey on me when applied. As long as I also swipe a little over my chest and neck (which need sun protection anyway) I don't look too bad. I did recently buy the Translucent Light in order to see if this one will be a better match. Great product, will try other colors and will repurchase if another color works for me. UPDATE: I tried the palest color and this works really well with my skin. Very happy with this product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by xxhna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great everyday powder for the warmer months. I got lucky and scored this at Target for under $5. The packaging is bright and colorful. It's cute but tacky. It does come with a sponge though [hot pink btw] which is helpful. I don't use the sponge it comes with, I prefer using a puff or a portable kabuki. I find that it goes on much smoother and natural looking.

I feel this is a good alternative to the Shiseido sun powder, which I also own [but is bloody expensive].

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2011 10:32:00 PM More reviews by shimmergirl1123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this product and bought it for $15 which is pretty expensive for a drugstore powder. But I did it anyway, and I bought the shade translucent medium.

I wasn't really sure what color to get since they all looked pretty much the same but the one I chose is pretty close to my NW30 skin (a little light).

I was hoping that this would be a medium to full coverage powder that I could wear with just a little concealer and be set. But, turns out it is a setting powder with very little coverage.

Also, I have oily skin and this product did absolutely nothing for it. As a setting powder, there are much better products out there to do that job.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by greenfaerie38

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've only had this product for a day, but I had to share my awesome experience with this product (but will update with any changes of course). I bought this product yesterday morning just before heading out to go dune hiking. This is seriously hard work. It's sweaty, hot, and when the sun comes out it's brutally bright. And another fun part of the day? Swimming in Lake Michigan, in some of the best waves I have ever seen. An awesome day, but hard to look pretty with a broken out face. So I wasn't expecting too much from this product, but I figured it wouldn't take up as much space in my bag as my usual facial sunscreen.

Bottom line? This stuff works. The lightest shade blended with my pale olive-ish skin (it's a weird shade to match) and it stayed on through heat, sun, and a long swim. At the end of the day, my face looked good and there was no sunburn. And weirdly enough, some of my acne actually seems a little diminished, but that could just be wishful thinking.

The problems? The shade range is laughably limited, like most Physician's Formula products. It is also a tad bit drying, and my skin is rather oily, so it might not work for dry skinned ladies.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by pnaranjos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive, very acne-prone skin which makes it hard to find a happy medium between no sun damage from sun exposure and no break-outs from sunscreens/sunblocks.
I thought this would do the trick since it is powder....wrong.
I used it for two days and broke out in two ways: itchy allergic reaction/irritation (which took two days to clear) AND clogged pores (more like four weeks). Yuck!

Plus, the package, although cute, comes with a super rough sponge. I actually used a brush one day and a soft foundation sponge the other- there was no way I was going to scrape my delicate face with that sponge/loofah provided.
Lastly, I bought the lightest shade yet it made my face orange within 20 min of application and it has a pronounced sunblock smell.
Horrible product.

PS-I am happy it was such a failure for me because it prompted a coworker to recommend Colorscience which has been great for my super intolerant skin.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No