July 31, 2014 | 2195 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:55:00 AM More reviews by Shierine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

+ Shimmery without being glittery
+ Very pigmented
+ Buttery smooth
+ Large amount of product
+ Quality packaging

+/- Bam in your face

- May be too obvious to use for a no makeup makeup look
- Without a light hand it will be an overkill

This is an amazing highlighter. It is something you want to use for an evening look. It makes you literally glow without the chunks of glitter on your face. It is the most shimmery compared to my Bobbi Brown and Anna Sui highlighter. The packaging is sturdy and the picture on it is as humorous as theBalm always is.

Unfortunately, as pigmented as it is, you cannot lie of not wearing makeup when you have this on your face, no human can glow as bright as this is and without a light hand or blending, this will be an overkill. I do recommend using sparse bristled/tapered brush compared to dense and flat toped brush. Putting this all over your face will make you blindingly bright during the day (no, this is not good).

Still, this is something that is gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to wear.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by zella_angel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG highlighter. The only one I've ever found that gives a lovely sheen instead of glittering. Even if you buy at full price is a great value because the compact will last you over a year. But I find that amazon and haute always offer it at decent prices. if you just want to try it I suggest buying theBalms Balm jovi palette. They named it different but the highlighter in that palette is Mary-Lou. (and its a great palette)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by IcyNocturne

I have been eyeing this for possibly a year now and I finally got it. My only regret: Why didn't I get this sooner? The absolutely most brilliant highlighter to grace the face of the earth. I have tried many highlighters, including aurora gleam highlighter from illamasqua, high beam, watts up, the Dior Rose Diamond, and the Nars copacabana liquid highlighter. Nothing manages to make my skin look as illuminated and glowing as this. It is intensely pigmented so you have to use a light hand if you want it to be natural. I like to highlight my cheekbones and the high points of my face then blend and spread it downwards all over my face to give me this beautiful glow. I have also tried using this as an eyeshadow and it doesn't crease without primer on me (which is unheard of) so in that criteria, it actually works better than my Favorite Maybelline color tattoos, urban decay, stila, and wet n wild eyeshadows! Amazing stuff. You won't regret getting it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by makeupmehappy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I use it almost daily. The only time I don't use it is if I'm not wearing any makeup at all. I mainly use it as eyeshadow. As a wash from lash to brow, then whichever UD 24/7 pencil catches my eye that day plus lots of black mascara. This combination consistently yields compliments. I also do sometimes use it to highlight cheekbones, collarbone etc and it's fantastic for that too. Seriously, you cannot go wrong by having this in your arsenal. It's fantastic. You get a ton of product for the price and it just looks so darn good.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I bought this online without testing based on the rave reviews. When I received it, I immediately swatched it on my wrist and was disappointed that it had glitter in it. I decided to give it a chance anyway, and I am so glad I did. This is an absolutely phenomenal highlighter. The glitter does not show up when blended into your face, you're instead left with a heavenly glow. I am glad that I didn't test it before I bought it, because the glitter would have turned me off completely.

You get an overwhelming amount of product, so it is an amazing value for such a high quality highlighter.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by kmk3s

I'm loving this! It's my first time with a highlighter, but it goes on easily, & stays on all day. A little goes a long way, so I don't imagine that I'll be repurchasing this for oh, 5 years. I wasn't sure how much I'd be using it, but so far I've been using it everyday, it really just brightens my face up! I'm quite fair, but I think this is a nice neutral color that would work on many different skin tones.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lovely champagne-gold highlighter that may actually be universally flattering. I used it on my mom for her wedding (her complexion is much more olive-toned) and it looked absolutely brilliant both in person and in the pictures. This highlighter is ALMOST as vibrant as a liquid highlighter, with the added convenience of being much easier to brush on. If you apply it with your fingers and then just use a brush to blend it out a little, it's just as vibrant as a liquid. I do this when I want more "oomf," at night or for pictures, but during the day I sweep it on with my E.L.F. Studio angled brush. I often use this as an eyeshadow too, from lash to brow bone, with just some eyeliner and mascara on days when I don't want to spend much time on makeup. It makes me look perfectly polished. This also perfectly compliments almost any eye shadow (except maybe silver and grey). You know how sometimes the highlight shade in your palette just doesn't quite have enough light-reflecting power? Sweep Mary Lou-Manizer lightly on top of the highlighter shade and it just enhances the shadow and makes a subtle but remarkable difference. I'm really glad I found this highlighter and with the generous amount you get I'm sure it will last me a long time even though I use it almost daily.

I have two complaints with this product, neither of which as deal-breakers for me: 1) The staying power is not quite that of a liquid highlighter that's been set with powder. Like many powders, it can rub off throughout the day especially if you touch your face. But it's not the worst staying power either and it should last just fine if you don't touch your face too much, it's not too hot, or you're not doing strenuous exercise. 2) It breaks really easily. I have had to put this product back together with rubbing alcohol twice now, and it didn't even fall very far either time. The same qualities that make it soft and blendable also make it very fragile. It just makes me think that if it HAS to be that breakable, it should be in a sturdier, more shock-absorbent case. TheBalm should fix that. Until then, DON'T DROP IT. Thankfully I have not lost any quality in the product by adding alcohol, and I would repair this highlighter again and again to keep it around.

I consider this HG now. P.s.- Check out eBay and Amazon when shopping for this, I found it cheap (and yes it is authentic!).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

I debated about this purchase for a while. I have oily skin naturally, so I've always shyed away from highlighters because I felt like I didn't need any help in looking "shiny". This one looked terrifyingly frosty in the pan, but I was drawn to the fact that it was a light gold color, which I thought matched my very warm (NC25) skin.

After a few days of brushing this highlighter on my nose, temple and cheekbones with a skunk brush, I like but don't love the effect this highlighter gives. It doesn't look "oily", per se, but it still looks like a soft wash of shimmer on my face. (That may or may not be a good thing, depending on what sort of effect you want and if you're going to be photographed.) I like brushing this highlighter on top of my cheekbones after applying blush to give a soft, diffuse shine to my cheeks, but I've noticed that this effect disappears rapidly throughout the day. This highlighter doesn't seem to have great staying power on my oily skin.

On the bright side, the color looks gold in the pan but more neutral on the skin, so I think this highlighter would suit a variety of skin tones. Like everyone else already said, you get a TON of product for about $25, so if you wanted a highlighter that you'll never run out of, this is a great choice. In the end, I felt like this was one of those misc. product I don't actually "need" as part of my makeup regime.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 3:40:00 AM More reviews by NightAng3l

Yes this is a LOT of product, I don't think I will ever run out! Nice highlighter, event though the reviews say its fine milled I expected it to be even more that what it is. Don't get me wrong, I use this product every day for highlighting the inner corners of my eyes, browbone (lightly) and high points of my face (lightly). As many others have said, a little goes a long way or you may end up looking silly. The only place I use this product full strength is on the eyes (inner corner or shadow). I would not buy this again because A) there is a ton of product and will take ages to run out B) I like to find new and different products ..especially if I had been using the one particular product without repurchase for a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Carolion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Best highlighter I've ever used- easily outperformed MAC Mineralize Skinfinish, Benefit HIghbeam, Touche Eclat, and yes EVEN Guerlain meteorites. Very fine shimmer, no glitter, will not fall down all over your face or make you look like a robot. It's very rich, tons of shimmer and you need to have a light hand and blend well or it can look a bit silly. Will last for ages! I got a sample of this in my Birchbox a while back, and I'm going to buy a full-size so that I can have the trial size for travel. The full-size is so huge I am nervous to travel with it in case it breaks.