October 30, 2014 | 1797 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by TheItsyBitsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this as a sample in a beauty subscription and ignored it for months. I recently got into doing contouring and I am so glad I have this now! I use it literally every day for an ultra fast simple low-makeup look.
The texture is super fine so it multitasks well as a highlighter and eyeshadow. The pale honey colour blends beautifully when applied with a light hand and is extremely flattering when applied heavy. It wears very well over the course of the day and despite my oily lids it not seem to creep into my crease like a lot of other shimmery powders.
Would buy again and am impressed enough that I am now looking into their other products.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LorettaBellxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Beautiful highlight!!! I use it as a eye shadow!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Lforde46

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received an itty-bitty sample of this in my Birchbox and it's enough to last a lifetime. Shimmery but not glittery and very finely milled so it's easy to apply small amounts and then build. In the winter I would only use this on special occasions in a "c" configuration around my eye socket. I pat a tiny amount on top of my cheekbones to my temple and above my brow with the RT Setting Brush then pat below my brow with my smallest eye shadow brush. It is SUPER shimmery, so I can't emphasize enough that a small amount is plenty. If you start painting this stuff on you'll be disappointed and will think it won't work for you. If you don't see it enough on first application you can always go back over it a second time.

I found this MUCH easier to apply than Nars The Multiple in Copacabana. I made a real mess with that stuff and had to cover it up and start over.

The color looked silvery-white to me. Other reviewers stated it was too yellow or gold toned and I can see that in the photo, but in real life I didn't see that at all. In the summer I would switch to Betty-Lou Bronzer instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Gorgeous highlighter. Shimmery without that draggy glitter look. A complimentary colour for nearly all skin tones (works just as well on my friends with pale, peach undertones as it does on my medium beige yellow undertoned skin). The consistency is very smooth as it pretty finely milled like thebalms eyeshadows, and the product is very buildable. This highlighter is my "thin lizzy". Not in the sense that it would work as a foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, morphine drip, dishwasher and whatever else thin lizzy claimed. But, it is my most multi-use makeup product. It lifts your cheeks, works beautifully under the brows, or as an all over eyeshadow, and even as a pretty blush above bronzer. Layering on top of my darker eyeshadows gives them a beautiful sheen as well. I personally wouldn't use this as a nose or Cupid's bow highlighter as it's too shimmery, but anywhere from your cheekbones and above it can do no wrong. The packaging is really cute, if you're into that gauche vintage benefit type (I am) and the price is actually very reasonable (I never say this about anything). Especially considering it should last you a year or more (I don't do light makeup ever, so trust me). In this digital selfie age I feel I should also point out that it photographs beautifully. Highly recommended.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by VMV

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Gorgeous product! Only need a little amount. I have been using this as an eyeshadow as well. Only thing I don't like is that mine is very hard to open.. It's not expensive, there is a lot of product in the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

Bought on Amazon. Came broken of course as all the soft powder products are prone to breakage. Used a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to repair it. It is lovely and makes this old face look lovely. I'm not very good at contouring, but by highlighting, you are 'contouring' a little. The highlighted area pulls forward, and the others areas look recessed because of the highlighting. I would definitely buy again although this is a lot of product. I suspect it will last a long time. Hope they continue to make this for a very long time. I may get a backup just in case;-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:55:00 AM More reviews by Shierine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

+ Shimmery without being glittery
+ Very pigmented
+ Buttery smooth
+ Large amount of product
+ Quality packaging

+/- Bam in your face

- May be too obvious to use for a no makeup makeup look
- Without a light hand it will be an overkill

This is an amazing highlighter. It is something you want to use for an evening look. It makes you literally glow without the chunks of glitter on your face. It is the most shimmery compared to my Bobbi Brown and Anna Sui highlighter. The packaging is sturdy and the picture on it is as humorous as theBalm always is.

Unfortunately, as pigmented as it is, you cannot lie of not wearing makeup when you have this on your face, no human can glow as bright as this is and without a light hand or blending, this will be an overkill. I do recommend using sparse bristled/tapered brush compared to dense and flat toped brush. Putting this all over your face will make you blindingly bright during the day (no, this is not good).

Still, this is something that is gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to wear.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by zella_angel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG highlighter. The only one I've ever found that gives a lovely sheen instead of glittering. Even if you buy at full price is a great value because the compact will last you over a year. But I find that amazon and haute always offer it at decent prices. if you just want to try it I suggest buying theBalms Balm jovi palette. They named it different but the highlighter in that palette is Mary-Lou. (and its a great palette)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by IcyNocturne

I have been eyeing this for possibly a year now and I finally got it. My only regret: Why didn't I get this sooner? The absolutely most brilliant highlighter to grace the face of the earth. I have tried many highlighters, including aurora gleam highlighter from illamasqua, high beam, watts up, the Dior Rose Diamond, and the Nars copacabana liquid highlighter. Nothing manages to make my skin look as illuminated and glowing as this. It is intensely pigmented so you have to use a light hand if you want it to be natural. I like to highlight my cheekbones and the high points of my face then blend and spread it downwards all over my face to give me this beautiful glow. I have also tried using this as an eyeshadow and it doesn't crease without primer on me (which is unheard of) so in that criteria, it actually works better than my Favorite Maybelline color tattoos, urban decay, stila, and wet n wild eyeshadows! Amazing stuff. You won't regret getting it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by makeupmehappy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I use it almost daily. The only time I don't use it is if I'm not wearing any makeup at all. I mainly use it as eyeshadow. As a wash from lash to brow, then whichever UD 24/7 pencil catches my eye that day plus lots of black mascara. This combination consistently yields compliments. I also do sometimes use it to highlight cheekbones, collarbone etc and it's fantastic for that too. Seriously, you cannot go wrong by having this in your arsenal. It's fantastic. You get a ton of product for the price and it just looks so darn good.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No