August 27, 2014 | 914 users online

Crème - Illuminare - Extra Coverage Foundation/ Concealer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2005 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Serena94

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is indeed a very high quality, oil-free foundation made of minerals, with broad spectrum sunscreen protection that is great for sensitive skin. It does not clog the pores, as far as I can tell, and is very easy to apply with your fingers. It also comes in a very hygienic squeeze tube. ("Extra coverage" works terrifically well as a concealer.) My one huge gripe - and the reason I will probably not buy it again - is its limited shade range. Most Illuminare users buy Florentine Fair, which is probably the shade that suits most people. However, that shade is very ashy on people with yellow-based skin. It looks kind of passable on me (I am Asian) but makes me look almost one shade lighter than I usually am. The other shades are way too light or too dark. Florentine Fair is fine for me during the evening, but I think I might look a bit ashen in the sunlight. I wrote an e-mail to Illuminare asking them to use Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier as a color guide for their next series of shades, if they should ever manufacture them. All in all, I think Illuminare foundations are good for Caucasian women with fair/cool skin, but so-so for women of color with warm tones.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2005 9:46:00 PM More reviews by edms190

Have been on a quest to find the perfect foundation. Tried cinema secrets, RCMA, Ben Nye, Cle dePeau,Nobre,and more.Keep coming back to illuminare extra coverage and So far this is my best foundation so far. update: Tried several more foundations.I don't know why because this is Holy grail. My search is over. I really love this stuff. I use Merle Norman foudation powder to set and I get a flawless look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2005 1:38:00 PM More reviews by wildchipmunk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff rocks. I only need it for concealer. When mixed with my Oil of Olay Regenerist Eye Cream, it: a) stays on all day b) has an SPF c) and covers ANYTHING. And I have the worst bluish green undereye circles thanks to heredity and allergies.

When I get the occasional unwelcome, almost-midlife zit, this covers it WITHOUT A TRACE. It's magical. Plus, I think the zinc oxide in the formula dries up the zit because everytime I use it, I wash my face off at night and the next day the darned thing is gone.

THANK YOU ILLUMINARE! Another great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2005 6:20:00 PM More reviews by leidon

I found my HG foundation - Woooohoooo! If you want medium to heavy coverage, with a luminous, dewey finish, then this is definitely the foundation for you. Although you can build it up to heavy coverage, it doesn't look at all heavy. You only need less than a pea sized amt to do your entire face. It is a perfect shade match for me. No tweaking req'd, which is a first. It is definitely more warm/yellow based. I wear the darkest shade in Tuscan Toast (mac c5/6 nc42, GA LSF #8, Chanel Vitalumiere Beige #5, Becca Bamboo). My skin is warm w/gold/orange undertones. I mix this with 1/4 of Becca's SSP in gold & it is PERFECTION. Top it off w/SB luminizing mist & it's an unbelievable look!
UPDATE: You MUST have heavily moisturized skin (I use emu oil) in order to spread the foundation b/c it's pretty thick. Also, make sure you only use a pea size or less, otherwise you'll get a very unappealing masked look. Now that my skin has cleared, it's probably heavier than I need, but if you do have issues w/dark scars,etc. this provides great camoflauge w/o looking cakey.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2005 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Emma13

I have given this a provisional "yes" though I'm still a little bit on the fence about it! What I love about this that, unlike JI pure pressed base, this mineral makeup does not have shine (or glow, or whatever). I also really like the fact that a little goes such a long way. In fact, if I apply this carefully and sparingly only where needed, it will make my skin look even withouth looking "made up". So thumbs up for that! My problem is finding the right shade - as ever... Portofino Porcelain is a little too ghostly on me, while Florentine Fair is too dark. I've mixed them together from the tester packs and I get a pretty good match, but it still isn't quite yellow enough for my skin. I'm actually really surprised that someone would think these colours are too yellow - I would definitely put them into the "neutral" category! (then again maybe the darker shades are more yellow).

Because I'll have to buy two, I haven't quite made up my mind yet and I'm still using up my testers as well as testers for Fantastic Finish. But I would definitely recommend these for those who like a "less (chemicals) is more" approach to makeup and don't have very yellow skin tone. (by comparison, Giorgio Armani, Becca and Bobbi Brown have shades with enough yellow for me.)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2004 2:53:00 AM More reviews by temperlyne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have very pale, sensitive and acneprone skin and thought this would be a great foundation option as it was supposed to cover blemishes and protect me from uv rays. Alas... This foundation looks horrible when used on blemish patches and also makes my pores seem even more vissible. I can only use it around my eyes to protect the skin there from the sun and it makes a good eyeshadow base. This stuff is only for those with smooth skin but the color is great for very pale skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2004 9:55:00 PM More reviews by krrilo

Too dark, thick and I have trouble with the tube being goopy.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2004 1:32:00 PM More reviews by eeeee

I have been using this for a long while for my undereye area and although it's gives great coverage, doesn't accentuate any dryness, and lasts..... they have a very limited color selection so I won't be purchasing again. I could go a shade darker with this. Also, I did like the fact that it came in a tube but the top of the tube (the dispensing part) broke off shortly after I purchased it and I've wasted quite an amount of product as it's completely open. I'd be afraid of the same thing happening again if I repurchased. But the sole reason I'm switching concealors is because of the color selection.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2004 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I give EC high marks for its smooth consistency, incredible blendability, and unbelievable lasting power. I prep with jojoba oil and dab, dab, dab, and pat, pat, pat. Absolute blessing for my dry skin, which surprised me because of its dense texture. The satiny finish, the sheer glow, the coverage!!! The dryness, the redness, the blotchiness, the sun damage, the pores, the dark circles, gone, gone gone!!! Highly recommend, I purchased multiple travel kits (EC,Fantastic finish and blush) for $5 each and gave away to friends. I'm notoriously difficult to please when it comes to base foundation, but this comes close to perfection. Even with its limited color choices, I find the colors very forgiving. Moisturize and use sparingly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2003 4:11:00 PM More reviews by susancarol

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OK I have found it after 25 years and a gazillion dollars. I have found the foundation that suits my blemished and sun-damaged, normal-sorta oily t-zone skin. I found about this on MUA and was thrilled they offered trial sizes on their website (why don't more do this??) My ideal foundation, covers all- looks natural and offers a reliable SPF I love it.