E.L.F. Studio Lip Stain

Price: $

on 1/25/2011 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

To echo previous reviewers, this is not a lip stain. The colours themselves are really nice and the only good thing going for this product, outside of the packaging. I have purchased four shades: Mysterious, a great neutral shade; Lucky Lady, a neutral, pink-peach shade; Fashionista, a bright pink; Red Carpet, a great red shade that is unfortunately a bit too much for my fair skintone.The "stain" is more akin to a weird, goopy glaze. Once dried, the transparent gloss can be applied and this is where the product fails. First, it can be difficult to extract enough gloss from the tube (I sometimes use an e.l.f. Super Glossy Lip Shine instead). Second, the clear gloss re-liquefies the colour, making it easy to rub off--sorta kinda contrary to what a lip stain does. The packaging itself is good; one of the few e.l.f. Studio products that actually looks sleek and there is a surprising amount of product for your three bucks.I'm a little harsh on this product, probably because I had high hopes and was excited when the lip stain was introduced. I've had a couple of opportunities to buy other shades and have opted not to repurchase. If you don't really care about the lack of "stain", this can be a good product due to the available shades. I'm quite fond of Mysterious, though I only wear it occasionally. continued >>

Pro's- I love the colors that are offered and it was VERY cheap, picked a few of the lip stains up at my local Dollar tree. =] The colors aren't laced with glitter and gloss like so many other adolescent brands. They are just THAT..COLORS. I picked up the 'First Date' pink,'Mysterious' and some other red colors.

Cons: I like the stain but it makes my lips feel/look dry. I don't like having to use the gloss that comes with it but I have to. Also it doesn't last too long. But hey it was only a buck!!!

on 1/23/2011 6:58:00 PM

I think this was a an ok product. But it reminds me of "old lady" lipstick because it was to red and I didn't like the texture. Also it always ended up on my teeth.

on 1/20/2011 4:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Waste of money even at one dollar. The color was fine, but it didn't stay on at all once the gloss topcoat hit it. I had it on my teeth and in my mouth instantly. I don't even have that trouble with normal cheap lipstick. This was worthless and truly nothing like a stain. Too bad: other ELF products have worked out well for me.

on 1/1/2011 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Even if this isn't a "true" lip stain- I really liked it. The colors look better as the day goes on and it does last for a long time. However, the application is a little clumsy and the gloss works more like a lip-stain remover then polisher. Still, you really can't beat long lasting color for that price.

on 12/29/2010 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I didn't care for this product.. Not so much because it's a bad product.. But because it's not what it says it is.. At least not for me and not the kind I got. I bought "Birthday Suit". It's a very pink, pink. I do like the color.. but that's about it. It's not what I'd call a lip stain.. It's more like a long lasting lip color. Like Cover Girl Everstay or whatever it's called. Also, if you put the gloss over the color, it comes right off. So, the best way I'd use this product is to use both products separately. On its own, the color works fairly well. The gloss by itself is a nice gloss.. But together.. Just a mess. I will not buy it in the future

on 12/21/2010 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have the lipstain in first date, and although it may seem scary (the fact that it's neon pink) it really isn't. It adds a nice pink flush to my lips. Love! <3 Although, this really isn't a lipstain... but it's not drying either so I guess I really don't mind. And the clear lipgloss it comes with seems oily (Ew..) but no need to use that. I'll be re-purchasing a couple of these in the future.

on 12/21/2010 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can see the reasons for the mixed reviews on this product. I actually didn't have any intention of buying this. I was just taking advantage of the sale and free shipping at the time, so it was pretty much a "filler" item. :]

If you can get past the fact that this isn't really a stain, you may be able to like this. It reminds me of the 2 step, long-lasting lipglosses that CoverGirl, Revlon, and Maybelline make. This one, however, is definitely not as longlasting as the other ones I mentioned. So, it won't last after a cup of coffee or a meal. It's also sheer but buildable in color, and it leaves a matte finish on its own. I haven't noticed the "gross" effect of this stain, but I think it's important to exfoliate and moisturize lightly before you add this stain. I did notice an icky smell, but it wasn't anything too distracting. The clear gloss is just okay, but somehow the applicator doesn't get enough of it, so I have to kinda "dig" it out. O.o

I really do LOVE the colors that I got though. Heartbreaker is a corally pink that brightens up my face, Mysterious is a beigey-nude with slight pink tones, and Lucky Lady is a mauvey-pink that I wear when I want to wear something other than light lips (I'm NC30ish for reference). I'm kind of undecided if I'd repurchase. If I did though, I would probably buy it to try out other colors.

on 12/21/2010 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got mine in birthday suit (or some name like that) and while I do like the color, the actual stain leaves much to be desired. It feels really dry to me. The stain applicator only works because a bunch of product accumulates at the top. The gloss . . . I really don't know anything about the gloss because I got too frustrated trying to put it on. The applicator is so stiff and picks up hardly any product at all. I have to dip it into the gloss like six times just to cover my lips, it's ridiculous. I gave up and decided to use an Essence gloss instead, which worked much better and at least added some sparkle.

on 12/11/2010 1:14:00 PM

Complete waste of money! I got heartbreaker which looks peachy but is actually a very nude pink; probably a useless shade on all but the most PPP. It's staying power was about 10 minutes--not worth the time and trouble to apply.

Recommended for Medium Skin