September 23, 2014 | 894 users online

Mascara - Cover Girl - Professional Super Thick Lash Mascara [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2013 5:41:00 AM More reviews by diana444

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have paid more than what it costs to ship this item but I thought it would be worth due to the good reviews. The pros: Its is smudge proof and since I got it very black it shows! I have sensitive eyes and I am a contact lens user and it does not irritate my eyes even better brands have given me that dry eyes feeling. It can also be removed easily.

Cons: It does not give you volume! It clumps! It makes your eyelashes get stuck together and yes they look thick obviously but the volume is not there.

Overall I like it because it darkens my blond lashes that are long but I don't like it because it doesn't give you volume. I will try another cover girl mascara next perhaps lash blash but not this. I would not buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2013 11:55:00 PM More reviews by laurenwho

I had high hopes for this mascara just because the reviews on this seemed promising. Honestly, I really dislike this mascara. This mascara clumped my eyelashes way too much and i don't like taking an extra 10 minutes just to separate the clumps. The volume of this mascara was close to nonexistent. Now I know why this mascara was only 5 dollars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

bought this off MUA reviews and i am not disappointed! would never have thought to buy this, its old fashioned packaging doesn't stand out amongst all the newer, brighter gimmicky mascaras these days. this was placed all the way at the bottom of the shelf so i could barely see it. this mascara is great! thickens my sparse asian lashes, is very black & barely any raccoon eyes (i have MAJOR oily eyes). this still cant beat my all time favorite maybellines full & soft but its a great one to have in your makeup arsenal. good stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by TishLiu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

==== Apr 14, 2013 UPDATE ====

Holy crap, this is STEROIDS for my lashes!! It lays on thick, and gives me an instant thick black Barbie-doll falsie effect. It's absolutely crazy. I'd estimate it gives me 6x the volume and 1.5x the length of my natural lashes!!

It takes a bit of getting used to because the first time you goop it on you're thinking, crap I just clumped all my lashes together. After brushing and separating them out a few times with the same brush, doing both eyes and getting the holistic effect, you realize... hey, that's the point! It just plumped everything up.

I think the main reason I wasn't getting good results at first (see old review) was because I had been curling my lashes differently a month ago, after reading some article that said to look in the mirror with your nose pointing upwards so that your eyelids give more coverage and prevent your eyes from drying out. Well, turns out that gives you a much shorter, shallower curl. --> Now you know why it's important to only change one variable at a time when experimenting... I went back to my normal curling and damn that curl stays high!

C O M P A R I S O N to other Mascaras:

* Currently I use this Super Thick Lash on my "pretty days" and Lash Blast Clump Crusher on my "natural days", as CC does not volumize nearly as much as Super Thick Lash. CC also seems to be more difficult to remove. I may just switch to using Super Thick Lash all the time once my CC runs out.

* Eyes to Kill by Giorgio Armani Ė I thought that was going to be my HG, and it's still an excellent mascara, but it has a strong chemical odour, costs 5x as much, and has comparable thickening and staying power to Super Thick Lash.

* Others I've tried (Lumene Blueberry Curl, Maybelline Full n Soft, L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes) are just straight up inferior to the Cover Girl mascaras I mentioned above.

==== OLD REVIEW from Mar 14, 2013 ====

Summary: Decent mascara that looks pretty and doesn't smear, but weighs down the curl some and does not add as much volume or length as my HG.

I put it on after curling with my Japonesque Go curler and Shiseido Nourishing base underneath, which is my typical routine and most mascaras on top of this base keep my lashes really curly. Despite this, Super Thick flattened out the curl halfway. It added a little bit of volume (but less than Armani Eyes to Kill) did not add any length at all! My lashes looked blacker but kinda stubby as the product has a dry consistency and clumps a bit. The nice thing is Super Thick Lash definitely lasts all day without smudging.

However, Armani Eyes to Kill is still my HG and this is inferior. No regrets since I got it for $3 on a drugstore.com sale, I'll keep the tube around for emergencies (e.g. if I lose or run out of Eyes to Kill).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 9:43:00 AM More reviews by alisonst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really really like this mascara. It gives decent volume and length, nothing mind blowing but definitely enough to make your lashes stand out. It has many other qualities that I love though, like it doesnít flake at all and it comes off suuuper easily. These are two things I always look at in mascara because I donít have time to be checking my mascara all day and I hated the nightly battle to scrub the mascara off of my face. This stuff stays on when you want it and then comes off easily when you donít. I would definitely recommend if you want a natural look, or you can even layer it for a more dramatic look (layers well, Iíve tried it). Itís a good price too, always an added bonus. Would repurchase 

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by amysweeps82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Okay, so I am BAFFLED that this product only costs $4.99. Insanity. This mascara is awesome. It does as advertised & gives massive volume, although it doesn't do much for lengthening. I now layer this over CG Clump Crusher & my sparse, stubby, dark blonde lashes transform into full, long, dark ones. Amazing mascara! Brands I've tried, just to name a few...... Lancome, Dior, MAC, Smashbox, Too Faced, Lorac, Urban Decay, Bare Escentuals, NYX, Loreal, Maybelline, Almay, Physicians Formula, Rimmel... and many more. I have tried a minimum of two different types by all of these manufacturers, and in some cases ALL that they have made. I consider myself a true mascara connoiseur & I'm telling you... this, combined with the CG clump crusher is IT. Give them a shot! Combined cost... $13. That's a hell of a lot better than the $30 a tube for DiorShow, which won't even come close to giving you this look!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by kjc5248

I usually go for waterproof mascara, and i had been using maybelline falsies and revlon 3d volume forever until i bought this. its the best stuff! makes lashes look just like falsies and the best part is that you can layer this forever and it wont clump. i put so many layers of mascara on and this is the only mascara that can actually withstand that and still look smooth. its great for anyone who wants volume and length. i am so scared they will discontinue this mascara!! i want to try all in one and remarkable from covergirl now as well because i loved this one so much.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mascaras from Dior, Lancome, Avon, Maybelline, Rimmel, Max Factor, L'Oreal, Clinique, you name it, I probably have it.

None of them compare to this. None. I have used so many different mascaras that I am confident when I say that my review comes from plenty of experience. In fact I think makeup was my mom's and my hobby at one point and we used to buy stuff for each other all the time so I have been experimenting with brands for years and years.

While the industry now focuses on loudly-colored brushes and innovative shapes and flashy tubes, they normally don't give a rip about FORMULA and that is the only relevant part of a mascara, not the new fangled silicone brush, or the fancy new shape of the packaging, etc.

I spent over $30 on a tube of Waterproof Diorshow about 8 weeks ago and it is basically raccoon eyes in a tube. Disappointment doesn't even begin to cover it. If I hadn't lost the receipt it would be going back to the store.

Around the same time bought into the two-for-one coupon for some Maybelline Volum Express Mega Plush mascara (a lot of my mascaras were aging so I needed to get to replacing them) because it said it would stay put. It takes 15 minutes and six coats to even make it look like I am wearing any mascara. Won't build on itself even a little bit and it certainly doesn't stay put. Pretty brush though!

No...Cover Girl Professional mascaras, in their nondescript blue, purple, and red tubes, often overlooked, not only make lashes LONG, but the formula builds on itself *beautifully,* giving the best effect outside of falsies I have ever found. Thick, long, plushy lashes take only a couple of careful swipes. That and it is silky as all-get-out so you can forget about clumps. Even an old tube of this won't clump. Ever. I seriously have like seven various tubes of Cover Girl Professional in various formulas and they are ALL superstars, no clumping and long, thick, silky results. Tres awesome!!

Stays put longer than any of the others too. Every mascara flakes off to some degree...this flakes far less.

Throw old tubes away and replace frequently for the best looks; I bought a new tube of this recently and I am about to go through my entire makeup box and just toss every other mascara I own, expensive or not. They're just a rip off when I keep returning to this time and time again. Every time I try something else, it's a disappointment compared to this Cover Girl.

HG mascara, no doubt. It would be HORRIBLE if these were ever discontinued as I truly cannot get by without them.

EDIT: I realized with some dismay that my morning watery eyes are not because I sleep with my cat. These mascaras have been the cause for as long as I have been using them and even the brand new tubes have some sort of additive that cause my eyes to water badly in the morning. So I can't continue using these anymore and have switched to ELF.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by spikester

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of those mascaras that tend to be overlooked with all the flashy, gimmicky ones out there now. However, this is the best drugstore mascara I have ever encountered. It adds volume, length, holds a curl and lasts all day. I hope they never discontinue this. It works better than any high end mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 9:34:00 PM More reviews by IwantwhatIneverhadbefore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally, a drug store mascara that does what it says it will do! Very pleased in volume, length and it stays put without any flaking or running. Will purchase again.