NARS Sheer Matte

3.1

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Triethylhexanoin, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Silica, Talc, Dimethicone, PEG-5 Glyceryl Stearate, Isostearic Acid, Bentonite, Stearic Acid, Behenic Acid, Batyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, 1-Methyhydantoin-2-imide, Behenyl Alcohol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Potassium Hydroxide, Cellulose Gum, Ethylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Serralysin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Trisodium EDTA, Glucosyl Hesperidin, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 1/8/2014 12:10:00 AM

Ladies with dry skin: you want to avoid buying this! As a moisturizer, I use Chanel Repair Line Day cream and before applying this foundation, I have to make sure to apply Mac's moisturizer (don't remember the name) to make sure I don't look like cracked sand the day after.

I love the matte finish, I love the color but it dries my skin to hell!! And I'm pretty sure it did cause a little breakout...

Not really worth it: for that price, as a high end product, it shouldn't hurt your skin like it does.

on 1/5/2014 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I absolutely love(d) this foundation. I have no issue with the consistency, it does not seem too thick or thin, applied easily. I also don't mind that it doesn't have a pump, maybe I'm old school but I had no problems with the bottle. I never get the comments about pumpless cosmetics being unhygenic, I wash my hands before I apply my makeup, so how would that be unhygenic? Anyway, it has good coverage, although I sheer it out with moisturizer because it is more of a medium coverage on me rather than sheer. The Mont Blanc shade is almost spot on for my fair, cool complexion although it could be a bit pinker. It has good staying power and stays matte for several hours considering my skin is very oily. Sadly, it does not get along with my mild rosacea and breaks me out in small pimples. I tested it for a week to be sure it was the foundation, and alas, it was. So, returning it to Nordstrom, dang it!

on 1/5/2014 10:30:00 AM

After considering either the NARS sheer glow or sheer matte foundation I decided to go with the sheer matte because of my combination skin. I get oily on the t-zone and chin, and thought this foundation would be perfect for me.

I have fair skin, and the lady at Sephora helped me pick out the shade Mont Blanc which has a pink undertone. This shade is perfect for my skin, and makes it look so natural. The foundation has a good coverage, I have a few spots around my chin and it covers them perfectly. I apply this foundation with my Real techniques expert face brush - I highly recommend this brush! It gives me a flawless finish. Before getting this brush I used my hands, and I did not get the same finish as I have had after using the RT brush.
The packaging is not that practical if you don't have the pump - it is hard to get the right amount and unhygienic. Still NARS has managed to make this foundation look classy and high-end, which it is.

This foundation does take after it's name - it makes your my face completely matte.
If I don't apply bronzer, blush and highlighter after then my face would look unhealthy!
After I set the foundation with my Rimmel Stay matte powder it lasts all day, so I am very pleased with this foundation. I recommend this to people with combination skin like me, but I am not sure if this foundation suits those with very oily skin. I have read other reviews where people have had breakouts after using the foundation, but this has never happened to me!

Will repurchase!

on 12/15/2013 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The store I bought this from doesn't sell the pump. It's too hard to get out of the bottle. I like that it is sheer, and the color Syracuse was the one I bought. Unfortunately I got itchy from it. I have oily AND sensitive skin, so it's hard for me to find an oil control foundation that doesn't itch my face. I hoped this would be the one, but no.

I'm a big fan of Nars products its one of the few brands that match my really pale skin, I bought this in siberia (the lightest shade) and at first it seemed really great, it has a matte finish and a light/medium coverage but it is buildable. I wanted something less heavy than Estee Lauder's double wear because as much as I loved it it caused me to break out badly and you needed a chisel to get it off.

The main upside is the colour as it really matches perfectly but the product does seem to gather in my pores after a couple of hours and eventually slides off my face which is odd for a matte foundation. Even when my skin isn't particularly dry it clings to patches around my nose which is very obvious being such a light colour.

I think this foundation would suit someone with skin less prone to breakouts. The packaging is useless without a pump. I am still wearing it a couple of times a week under a primer which helps a little but I wont be buying it again, its not worth the money.

on 12/8/2013 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

First i'd like to say i only rated the packaging a 5 because i bought the pump. without the pump it would be terrible. I really love this foundation. i dont use it anymore because i bought the wrong color but if i had it would be great. the only downside to this is that it rubs off. i could just wipe my hand on my face and my finger would be covered in it. this is great for oily skin

on 10/11/2013 11:02:00 PM

I only got a sample bottle, which had a spatula for application. It glided smoothly on my skin, with nothing else underneath. I set it with my Ben Nye Banana powder. I didn't give it much expectation for good outcome, and I couldn't believe how great it turned out! My usually slick face by 4 hours didn't make me pull out a blotting paper! Awesome. I also got the perfect shade for me. Buildable coverage light to medium. I didn't experience the balling up of the product as some commenters experienced. The only down side is the price. I want to wear it for not-so-occassion occasions, like once or twice a week and perfect for the no makeup makeup look. It does seem worth saving up for.

on 10/11/2013 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Like most makeup alley addicts, I'm in search of my HG foundation. I have never written a review but given how badly my skin has reacted to this, I needed to share my experience. Having used the product for 5 wks, heres my feedback

Pros:
good colour

Cons:
Caused me to continually breakout...even in areas whereby I have not broken out before.
Concealer needed
Not matt -This should not be called matt makeup. Powder is required after a couple of hours.

I would not recommend this

on 9/29/2013 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this foundation when i heard Joyce Beneli uses the sheer glow on kim kardashian. (i'm oily so i dont think i could get away with the glow version)..So i'm usually an NW 20 in mac foundations, and the lady at sephora matched me for the shade gobi. Let me just say that this color is AWFUL. I'm pretty sure thats the second lightest shade. Anyway, i heard such great things about this product but it was such a let down. I felt like i was putting a cheap tinted moisturizer on.. THUMBS DOWN ON THIS ONE :(

on 9/21/2013 6:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had the pump version of this fir my application hour, hood and hygienic. I used this on a couple of models for a fashion gig and it applied beautifully with a normal flat foundation brush followed by a latex sponge to blend it all seamlessly. At first I wasn't too confident with this product but judging throughout the day and into the night, it did actually last (using a nars micro powder in translucent with the exception of a shiny forehead in five hours). These models had clear skin with the occasional redness on cheeks which vanished completely after applying foundation. Only a few had pimples. I would say that it did look good on skin that were dry but one model whom I did not apply this product to, had blotchy patches so maybe it's not for those with extremely dry skin. I haven't try extremely acne yet but I'll grab a sample and try it out on a friend to see if it'll work. Price is steep, selling at $68 a bottle from Mecca in Australia - definitely light to medium, buildable.