LUSH Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

3.6

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris), Rosemary and Tea Tree Infusion (Rosmarinus officinalis, Melaleuca alternifolia), Organic Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis), Sea Water, Grape Juice (Vitis vinifera), Lavender Oil (Lavandula augustifolia), Witch Hazel Extract (Hamamelis virginiana), *Limonene, Perfume, Methylparaben. *Occurs naturally in essential oils

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have super oily skin (blot every 2 hours kinda deal) and I was recommended this by a friend to use as a primer under MUFE mat velvet. When I realized it was supposed to be a spot treatment, I decided to give it a try and I was shocked to discover that O M G this shit WORKS.

***AS SPOT TREATMENT FOR LIGHT ACNE***

Since Benzoyl Peroxide is too drying and bad for your skin in the long run and Salicylic acid doesn't do anything for me, I had pretty much given up on finding a worthy spot treatment. (I've also tried pure tea tree oil -- didn't notice any effect.) With Grease Lightning, I got a very generous sample portion, and tried it on the pimples on half my face and THEY DISAPPEARED OVERNIGHT. The ones on the other half of my face I put my usual "Fudicin cream" and only some of them faded. Obvi I ran out to LUSH and bought the full-size the next day!!

After a couple weeks:

- I find this works on: newly forming pimples, red patches prior to newly forming pimples, and small pimples

- does not work on: large pimples (though I don't get many anymore, some fudicin cream zaps the ones I do get in a couple days and was truly a life-saver once), whiteheads

***AS PRIMER FOR OILY SKIN***

I tried this as a primer under MUFE mat velvet (40). I put it on, let it sink for five minutes, then applied MUFE with a stipple. I did this at around 7pm, and went out dancing... until 7am. It stayed on. During mirror checks in-between, I did not look greasy until around 5 or so? Even so, when I blotted then, I only needed one piece (as opposed to 3!).

However! I tried this at the same time as trying MUFE mat velvet for the first time so I cannot say which product did most work but in conjunction, they were faaaaantastic for oil-control, BUT I did get a few small red pimples (which faded over-night) from MUFE despite having grease lightning as a primer.

P.S. It also smells amazing.

P.P.S. Why is it called a cleanser??

Edit: I noticed that people are complaining about its pump dispenser being wasteful. Just pump it into a sample container and voila! Perfect size to bring anywhere and no more waste.

on 4/21/2013 4:09:00 PM

I truly like this product. Is it a miracle worker? No. However it does wonders on those cystic acne spots or those pimples that just haven't fully come to the surface yet. It will keep your zit from fully forming and help the irritation and redness disappear. It does help shorten the life of a full blown breakout but don't expect it to make your whitehead disappear overnight.

This is on the pricey size but you only need a tiny bit.

on 4/21/2013 12:31:00 AM

Holy grail. I have dry , sensitive , acne prone skin and this works amazingly.

on 4/18/2013 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Ive been using this product for months, I bought this product about a year ago and felt as though it never done anything, but thought to give it another go.
This product is now a god sent to me!!!! Now I found out how it works best. To get the best out of grease lightning EXFOLIATE your skin first this way the product can get deep into the skin and deep into the effected area. I have been having a lot less breakouts when I use this product after exfoliating and combined with exfoliating it is making my acne go away. It prevents spots from forming if used very day. Love this product!!!!

on 4/17/2013 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I've been looking for the perfect spot treatment for ages now, and have tried quite a few. I've had LUSH's grease lightning for a few months now, and my verdict after using it during that time is that is okay but not great.

I get the odd breakout here and there from either stress or hormones, so I like to put a spot treatment on as soon as I take my makeup off and again before I go to sleep.

I found grease lightning to be okay at drying spots up, but it would be inconsistent. Also the pump dispenser is HORRIBLE and did not work at all in dispensing product evenly - so I would have to unscrew the lid each time which is pretty unhygenic.

Grease lightning is also on the expensive side for what you get, like all of LUSH's products (I paid AUD$14), and I think I would be better off using tea tree oil instead as a natural spot treatment/antiseptic.

My HG spot treatment at the moment would be the maragrite zinc cream which I get off iherb (I have also done a review on this) which I now reach for instead of grease lightning.

on 4/14/2013 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

It didn't really do much for my spots. As soon as I got a spot I would apply this and leave it on overnight but it would just make the spot dry rather than making it smaller or disappear considering how much the SA was raving about it I expected better results. The packaging looked okay but the pump would start squeaking and make it difficult to get any product out of the bottle or even too much out of the bottle. I love Lush products but this was a huge disappointment. :(

on 4/14/2013 5:55:00 AM

Dont use the pump as you get way more product than needed. Just twist the lid off, has lasted me forver doing this. I dont get any crazy bad acne but for the odd pimple this does calm it down a little bit, or atleast the peace of mind that your putting something on it to make it go away haha. good product for the odd pimple, not so much for acne

on 4/8/2013 3:56:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I could wax poetic about Grease Lightening, but I'll try to keep this short and sweet. It's phenomenal. It's the only thing that can keep this combo-but-buckets-of-oil Florida girl's skin at bay during summertime. I like to use it post-cleanse and throughout the day to suck up some of the oil on my face and keep it clean. It leaves my skin nice and smooth. I don't know how great the product works as a spot treatment, but I do know that it works absolute wonders in preventing break outs. Too much product can definitely leave a film, so be sure to apply evenly. While some have reported that it's too harsh, I've found it to agree nicely with my sensitive skin, but would recommend others do a test patch first!

This has done wonders on my face. It helps reduce redness and break outs seem to go away and fade out faster. Also helps with oil control on my t Zone. It doesn't really smell like anything , and goes on clear. The pump on the bottle kinda sucks tho. It gets clogged a lot and you have to dig fried product out. But a little bottle has lasted me four months and I still have half a bottle less

on 4/3/2013 4:24:00 PM

WOW- Is all I have to say. I had heard some great thing about this product, so I decided to give it a try. I use "Herbaslism" as my face wash, sprits "breath of fresh air" as my toner, "Imperialis" as my moisturizer and "grease lightening" as my spot treatment. My skin has never looked better. I absolutely love this product and it genuinely helps get rid of acne. I put some of this stuff on my pimple- go to bed with it on and wake up and the pimple is noticeably smaller. I will definitely keep repurchasing.

Popular Treatments (Face)