July 30, 2014 | 1564 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by MorganNeedsMakeup

I've been using the Clarisonic Mia for around 2 months now.

If I could say one thing to people who are on the fence about buying this product -- DONT WAIT.

I tossed the idea of buying this around for years, it wasn't until I noticed the texture of my skin looking extremely old. People were always telling me I looked older than I was, being 19 and everyone saying I looked mid-20's was a little alarming. I've struggled with acne for a large portion of my life. Its left me with scars and less than glowy skin. I still get acne. Not like I used to, but I still get it.

My overall quality of skin has improved tremendously, my skin feels cleaner than ever. All I can do is shame myself for waiting.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by spottedswan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

In the fight to clear up my hyperpigmentation, I followed the advice of a few bloggers who raved about this machine. Their main claim being that good exfoliation removed dead skin cells, reduced breakouts and left their skin glowing. I expected the product to really change my life, and questioned the effectiveness of my past cleansing – "have I not been cleansing my skin thoroughly all this time?!"

First four days with Clarisonic Mia: I tried the machine with my favorite cleansers. On their own, without the machine, I love them (one is a black soap, the other is a gel by Philosophy). My face felt very "clean" and any trace of makeup or dirt was gone.

Day Four: I woke up with 5 pimples, divided among my forehead, cheeks, upper lip, and chin. So really, my whole face had broken out. A few of the pimples were cystic, which is unusual for my skin. I stopped using the Clarisonic device immediately and researched purging. I didnt want to introduce ANY additional product to my skin, so I could pin point exactly what happened. I spot treated the pimples with aspirin paste and they cleared up in about 5 days. I thought this was the purging that some reviews mentioned.

A Week Later: Ready for something magical to happen, I started introducing the Clarisonic into my routine again, but this time only using it 3 times a week. After the second use, I broke out AGAIN. This time it was 3 large pimples. I wasn't purging, I was having a bad reaction to the abrasive technique and breaking out. I put the product away for good and called to return it.

Three Weeks Later: My skin has not fully recovered and I'm stuck with more spots to fade. I've returned to using a facecloth, gentle products, and exfoliating with liquid exfoliators. Luckily some of my favorite beauty girls - Caroline Hirons and Ruth Crilly have success with these techniques.

It's heartbreaking that this machine didn't live up to my high hopes. Returning the device through Clarisonic.com was very simple and painless. The customer service rep was easy to talk to and fair – I felt no guilt and I may even try another Clarisonic product.

Please note that I used the machine only at night and followed the instructions about pressure and time spent. I also cleansed the brush head thoroughly and didn't introduce any new product to my routine at the time.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by franneh

Prior to buying myself the highly-praised Clarisonic Mia, I did some extensive research. I'm talking YouTube video reviews by various beauty gurus, essay-long testimonials from Sephora, MakeupAlley and Amazon.com, and product comparisons with other cleansing devices such as the Olay Pro X and the Face Complexion Brush from Sephora.

The hype is real, guys.

I bit the bullet and bought one for myself. It happened when I was walking by a boutique beauty shop on Robson in Vancouver, called Eternal Skin Care. The whole store was having 20% off, including the Clarisonic line! After taxes, my purchase came out to $106 CAD. I have been using this godsend of a cleansing device in conjunction Cetaphil for about 2 weeks now (once daily) and I have noticed an extremely vast improvement in my skin. I have normal to dry skin (i.e. experiencing dryness / flakiness especially in the wintertime), and some redness & acne scars. I would say in a weeks time, I noticed my skin complexion began to even out, my acne scars slowly diminished, and overall, created a smooth canvas for me to apply moisturizer or makeup.

When people claimed that this product was 'life-changing', I thought it was a little over the top. After trying it for myself, I can 100% attest to that statement. 10/10. Amazing device.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by lotusflower111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the mia 2 from Macy's. Guess I should have read the reviews first. In the beginning it was good to feel so soft skin and get the extra clean sensation. After a week I started seeing that the lines under my eyes were more visible. I am 37, but look much younger (thank God!) and this wasn't a good result, obviously. Then, the area around my mouth got totally dry, started flaking, looked like I had dry caramel all over that part. I had to shave it to get rid of that. Then, I notice that it does dry out my skin even though I haven't used it a couple of times. Also, it does make my face look swollen. I swear that I was thinking that my nose and chin looked puffed. I googled it and there are other girls who found the same. And the brush gives me the idea of something that isn't clean or won't stay clean for long. It keeps having little bubbles and there is no proper way to keep it neat. Anyways, I gave it a try but thank God I bought it from Macy's and kept the receipt and the box because tomorrow the Mia 2 goes back. Just get it if you have really oily skin and don't use it everyday like they say.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by loobyloo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The Clarisonic Mia is no joke. I have the type of skin that requires daily light exfoliation, if it doesn't get it, it gets angry and spotty. When I first bought it, I used it twice daily which was too much for my face. My dermatologist did warn me that I would experience an initial breakout using the Mia and she was right. However, using it only at night, with the acne brush head has helped keep my skin clear and creates the perfect canvas for my nightly skin treatments.

I only wish the Mia had the beeping timer (to remind you to move to a new area) variable speeds, and hard case that the Mia 2 comes with, but I can honestly say it does the job of getting my skin clean, and has eliminated the need for scrubs or chemical exfoliants in my routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by noharmdone

Let me just begin by saying I was extrememly skeptical about this product!
I have always suffered from pimples. When I was younger, I had servere acne across my whole face, after trying everything else, I went on the pill which did clear it up, but not fully. I would still get regular pimples and deep sore acne that wouldnt leave for weeks. I also had little bumps on my skin which I could never get rid of. My skin is oily/combo but extrememly sensitive.
I put off purchasing this product because everyone talked about the 'purging stage' which I was afraid of but eventually caved & bought one after spending my days reading reviews.
This product is AMAZING. The first 2-3 days I did suffer purging. After that, my skin completely cleared up! It is so smooth and fresh looking, my makeup just glides on! My little bumps have all gone & I dont wake up with a new pimple every morning anymore!
Downside - I didnt use it for 2 days as I was away from home & I woke up with pimples again.. but they cleared straight up the day after I got home and thoroughly cleansed my face again with it! I use the original Mia with delicate brush head + Philosophy Purity cleanser/Neutrogena deep clean foaming cleanser. HIGHLY RECOMMEND CLARISONIC TO ANYONE WANTING NICER, CLEANER, HEALTHIER LOOKING SKIN!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Aylapc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

It is my third week using the Mia. I have suffered from moderate acne for the last 10 years and the first two weeks were heaven! Soft, smooth skin and not a single breakout. But now going on the third week, my skin has completely fallen apart. It's flaky and dry on too of a ton of breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by Moonjellie14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Finally decided to take the plunge to purchase a Mia 2 and have been using it for a week. So far I have not experienced the "purge" like what many other reviewers have written about but strangely, I did notice an increase in oiliness which is starting to recede gradually. The sides of my nose and area below my lower lip has been congested for so long that I've come to take it as "inevitable" and "normal". But guess what? My Mia 2 has taken them all out and I didn't even have to squeeze them out after cleansing! The deeper congestion in my cheeks that I didn't even know i had came up easily after cleansing and a gentle squeeze cleared the pore thoroughly.

I was afraid of overexfoliating and was using the sensitive brush head only once in the evening after I've cleansed my make up. Though my skin felt a little raw at the end of the 1-minute cleansing, there was never redness on my face. In fact, my complexion after cleansing looks beautifully even and smooth. But I decided to try it twice a day from day 4 onwards and use it with an even lighter hand (I was kinda pressing it a little into my skin) and I have never been more impressed with my skin's cleanliness and decongestion! Perhaps with the lighter pressure I use now against my skin, my skin no longer feels raw too. One of my best investments ever and I'm looking forward to trying the deep pore brush now :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by keetandkeiko

I've had bad acne for several years and I just could never get it to go away. I've tried creams, pills, antibiotics, everything - and my acne never got drastically better. I received the clarisonic a few months ago, and it has drastically changed and improved my skin for the better! I rarely get whiteheads, I get a few cystic bumps every now and then, and my black heads are 75% gone. This is the absolute best tool I have ever used for my skin. I use it at night after I have taken off all my makeup. It feels so soft smooth, and clean. Definitely worth the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by kmabel07

The Mia 2 has greatly improved my skin texture, but took about a week to get the right frequency of use for me. I noticed extreme dryness when used twice a day, and instead moved to once every other day and have seen big improvements. It is a bit overpriced for what it is.