Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream to Powder Foundation

3.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Ingredients: Isononyl Isononanoate,HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer,Silica,Isodecyl Neopentanoate,Polyethylene,Dimethicone,Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone,Hexyl Laurate,Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate,Dimethicone Crosspolymer,Tocopheryl Acetate,Retinyl Palmitate,Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate,Ethylhexyl Palmitate,Tribehenin,Sodium Hyaluronate,Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate,Pearl Powder,Silica Dimethyl Silylate,Butylene Glycol,Phenoxyethanol. All Shades May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides).

I am on my third (and possibly last) compact of this product. Each compact has lasted a good 2-3 months, which is totally acceptable. I switched to this product from a cheaper one because I wanted better quality and cruelty-free. My skin is fair - I use the color Illusion. This gives great coverage and has been very useful - I use more as a concealer on blemishes, but overall this product makes my pores look HUGE (and they're quite normal, not really noticeable without makeup), which is why, along with the hefty price tag, I am looking for a new foundation. Application with the included brush is very easy, but this product also wears away by the end of the day. I also go through phases of very dry skin (although I have found a moisturizer that helps immensely) and when my skin was super dry, this foundation highlighted the dryness/flakiness. Overall, this foundation may be perfect for those with perfect skin, microscopic pores, and a fat wallet, but I think I'm done. I wanted to love this (as I love some other UD products) but it hasn't really turned out that way.

on 5/27/2010 12:40:00 AM

I first tried the Urban Decay tinted moisturizer but returned it for something for more coverage, The guy working at the counter recommended I try this product for fuller coverage. My skin tone is fair with a pink undertone so I bought Haze. I was excited to try this product because my friend has it and says it's "amazing". . . . .It's OKAY. My skin tends to be a little bit dry on my cheeks and oily on my forehead. This product tends to accentuate the drier spots on my face even though I use a moisturizer..which is no bueno.. I really did not like the brush that came in the compact, it left brush marks/streaks all over my face! So I just apply it with a sponge. I could see this product working better on somebody with more oily skin. Overall, this product is alright, I personally don't think its worth spending 34 $ on, and I probably won't buy this again.

on 5/24/2010 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Combo, ultra-sensitive, very acne-prone skin. NC15-20/pale olive, Almay Buff, Revlon CS Buff, Lancome Teint Idole Buff 2 (W), MUFE HD 117

I want to love this and yet, I just can't. Illusion matches perfectly but the effect is totally ruined because my pores look enormous, it won't smooth out and it accentuates my drier spots even after I've applied a heavy moisturizer. And no matter what I try, this stuff will not stick to my nose.
From a few feet away my skin appears almost flawless (except my nose) but closer than about 3 feet and this foundation is very, very obvious.

The packaging is cute but doesn't stand up to much. The SA at Ulta dropped the first one on the counter, less than a foot fall and still in the box and the compact busted. I grabbed a different one and it hasn't been dropped but the top lid is wiggling side to side.

on 5/2/2010 7:55:00 AM

I really wanted to love this product. I love Urban Decay and I was looking for something with a little more coverage than my normal tinted moisturiser. When I got home and tried it, I was a bit disappointed. I felt like the foundations sat weirdly on my face, but this could just be me being super critical. My boyfriend swears he doesnt see it (but lets face it he is probably being nice) I used the pore perfection primer before using the foundation and I have also used it without. Both times the foundation settled into my pores, seeming more concentrated in my pores than anywhere else. I'm sure it isnt the pore primer though, because I have used it with my normal tinted moisturiser and never had that problem. The other thing about this foundation is that it kinda highlighted some dry skin I wasnt aware of.

In the store, I was told that this product could be used alone as a concealer and also you can build up the coverage from light to full. Both statements are untrue!

Pretty pretty packaging but I wont be buying this again!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I love this foundation. My 14 year old daughter loves this foundation also. She attended the Urban Decay training with me and she is hooked. First of all for those of you that are reaching the pan on the 3rd use....you are using WAY TOO MUCH. You need to use the UD blush brush! You tap the top of the compact 2 to 3 times and BUFF it in REALLY GOOD on half of your face, then 2 to 3 more taps and you do the other side of your face, THATS IT! You can add concealer if you need it. It can last for months! My daughter has been using her compact for over 4 months, no lie! The technology behind this foundation is highly advanced so it is not used like other creme to powders. Using your fingers to apply is most likely too much. It never looks cakey on me or my daughter. I use the razor sharp powder on top but i find that i do not really need a powder , it's a habit ! HA HA!

on 4/7/2010 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Product wise, this is decent. The brush it comes with works pretty well for streaking the product onto your face and then you can rub it in with your fingers. It takes a while to set, but once it does it looks pretty natural and has moderate to full coverage. It also has cute packaging, and it has all vegan ingredients (so I guess you can eat it if you get bored). HOWEVER, it is so expensive! I am willing to spend 36 bucks on good foundation, no problem. Provided the product actually lasts a few months at least. There is SO little amount of product in there, that if you use it everyday (like I do) you will be out in likely less than a month. I used it like three times and already felt like I was about to hit the pan. Completely ridiculously expensive. Also, even with a good primer, it doesn't really last all day, and it doesnt cover the dark spots on my face as well as a liquid foundation would. Ultimately I can't recommend this. I'd probably buy this is I was super rich, but since I'm not, it's kind of hard to justify spending 40 bucks every few weeks for foundation.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I actually really like this foundation, I went into house of fraser looking at the urban decay section, and brought this more out of curiousity.
I brought it with the new finishing powder that is out (razor sharp or something like that)
Now i am very fussy, i can not stand foundation that 1. Makes your face look red 2. looks like you have loads on 3. Well this i can not stress about more but i hate it when you put foundation on in your bathroom or something, then walk outside and the foundation makes your face look like its not even real, i like natural looking foundation that covers up well and does actually look like my skin tone... this does exactly it!! Ive tried them all revlon colorstay to elizabeth Arden, and this aswell as the jane iredale one are my favourite foundations!!
buy this you will not be disppointed xx

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Urban Decay's Surreal Skin Cream to Powder Foundation is an excellent choice if 1. You don't like the full coverage of liquid foundation 2. You want more coverage than mineral or powder foundation. If you want something inbetween like I did, go with this. It is much easier and quicker to put on than liquid foundation and you have the ability to do quick touchups throughout the day. For the most part, I really enjoy the product. It provides just enough coverage and leaves my face with a dewey/healthy look. The only thing I do not like about this particular cream foundation is that it looks better once it has set into your face, which means you have to wait for a bit until it sets. I do not recommend this to girls with combination/oily skin. Other than that, great product.

on 4/3/2010 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

The packaging very cute has these little animals all over it. I can't help but to keep it. The texture is very soft and creamy does come to a powder finish. I use my fingers to dab it on my blemishes and voila it does cover it to my surprising but does wear off. The color does match my asian skin tone very well. I will use it when I am less acne prone. Summer is not the time because I am more oily.

on 4/2/2010 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

okay, my ratings may seem a bit odd and inconsistent, but let me explain.

the product itself is pretty decent. i was exchanging another item (the nars compact powder foundation) and this one was recommended to me by a sales associate after hearing that i wanted a portable foundation with moderate coverage. the shade 'trance' matched up pretty well with my nc40/42-ish skin, so i went ahead and bought it.

i used it a once with the mac 189 foundation brush, and it went fine. the coverage was buildable and the product really did do a good job of evening out my skin tone. i set it with a VERY light dusting of MAC msf natural and some MUFE mist and fix. it lasted pretty well, and didn't have any adverse effects on my skin.

that said, i rated it expensive, with poor packaging quality, and said i would not purchase again due to it's size. i have no problem paying for good foundation, and paying quite a bit, but this is RIDICULOUS. i have hit the silver pan after three uses. i don't think i used excessive amounts any of the three times, and only once did a do a very light touch up job. i use similar cream products, MAC studiotech and mineralize cream foundations, and have never hit pan so fast. there is WAY too little product to justify charging $36 and purely because of that, i dropped it's rating. it's a shame, too, because i do like the product, but i feel like i'd be replacing it way too often if this was my everyday product. to get the flawless coverage this delivers, however, too much product needs to be used, and at the end of the day, it's just not worth repeating to me. also, before someone tells me i don't know how to use it correctly, the second two times i used it, i used the brush it came with and buffed lightly, using the product sparingly, and still ended up using way more than i thought i would, with a slightly less perfect effect.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review: Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream to Powder Foundation by Ms. A to Z Beauty

Top Rated Urban Decay Products