Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

on 6/5/2011 2:34:00 PM

I HATE that they changed the packing on these. WHY?! The 4 large pans were very convenient, plus the lid shade and crease shade gets used the most, now it's tiny! If you are gonna change packaging, at least improve the texture of the shadow with it! No. Just a random idea suddenly poped up in their head and they changed the packaging..I personally like this quad over all, it contains a matte beige white, a shimmery neutral gray taupe (that doesn't have the rosy undertone like Satin Taupe), a shimmery neutral brown (like Mulch) and a matte dark taupey gray brown. I agree it is slightly chalky and chunky, the white hightlight colour is very chalky infact, and the lid colour, although pigmented and shimmery, is slightly chunky. The quad has that hard and dry texture. Someone below said they are comparable to Urban Decay, I find they are way off, I won't compare this to UD at all, but these are comparable to MAC eyeshadows, only more chunkier and chalkier. These are very cheap however, so I don't think we should compare these to any highend eyeshadows. My quad was on sale for 5 bucks, usually they are about $8.99CAD here. Overall, I like these colour a lot, but I wish the texture was creamier like their Chai Latte quad.

on 6/3/2011 3:36:00 AM

This is my favorite drugstore quad ever. It is so flattering and versatile. I can use this to create a daytime neutral look, a sophisticated and polished look for work, or a sulty smokey eye for a night out. When I go travelling, these are the only eye shadows I bring because they can do it all! I even use the dark matte brown to lightly define my brows! I love the shimmery taupe color for an all over lid color. The matte bone color is perfect as a highlight. I LOVE THIS QUAD!!

on 5/29/2011 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

since this product is not available in NZ where i reside, i had my bf's parents picking up some for me when they were in the states. i got the quad in the new package which i must say im not a big fan of as the best colors are in smaller pans!! the shadows are not crazily pigmented and i need to use a primer to get them to show. unlike some of the prior reviewers, i only use it when i go out and stuff because i can create some pretty intense looks with it and my everyday look is extremely minimal (because im lazy). i think i might have to order off allcosmeticswholesale for some of them old packages.

on 5/9/2011 10:12:00 PM

I'm really surprised at how great the reviews for this are! I bought it about 4 or 5 months ago and I've only used it twice. The browbone/base shade is a chalky white; it doesn't even feel or look smooth in the pan. On my browbone it barely shows up and I'm a PPP. Same story with the lid color, except that it's taupe. These two shadows are not smooth or buttery in the least. Very 'rough' feeling for lack of a better word. I do like the crease shade, but I simply have better quality shadows in a similar shade. I do like the outer corner color a fair bit, but I find it hard to blend. Overall, it just did not work for me. Bummer :(

on 5/6/2011 3:02:00 AM

i bought this as a pharmacy because they were clearing out their maybeline stock so it cost me about $7 i think. I also picked up the charcoal smokes while i was at it. I had recently bought the emerald smokes one and was quite impressed so i seeing this half price in Australia i was like i got to get it seeing as its getting so many good reviews!

i like this alot. Out of the three i have, this is the best in how all the colors work toegther. My favourite would be the lid shade. OMG! its the most gorgeous taupe with undertones of like a gold shimmer, but this isnt overly shimmery. I usually use the brow, lid and crease color (not the intense dark brown) for a really nice slightly more dressy day look. I like how you can use the colors and turn a day look into a night look. Its very versatile.

The quality of the eyeshadow is very good for drugstore. It just as pigemented as my Urban Decay, but a little harder to blend. That doesnt fuss me too much because it was $7! its small and compact and is great for travel. I will admit maybelline really should get with the times and make the packaging alot more sleek and presentable. But other than that what a great product! buy it!

on 4/22/2011 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this quad for creating a simple, everyday eye look. My two favorite shadows are the lid and outer corner colors. Unfortunately, those are the two smallest shadows in the palette. I really wish they'd kept the old packaging, where all four shadows were equally sized. Now the two biggest shadows are the base and liner. I don't mind about the liner, because it is a color I could use in a lot of looks, but I really don't like the base color. It's not pigmented at all--it doesn't even show up. If I actually wanted a highlight with this look, I'd have to go grab another shadow. So, for the three other shadows, this is amazing, but that terrible, over-sized base shadow that I'll never use kind of ruins it. Minus 1 lippie for that and the fact that the lid color could be a bit more pigmented.

on 4/17/2011 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this quad last week and finally got around to using it today. I am a Mac NC45 and hmmmmm... I don't really like it YET. I didn't find the taupe color showed up well on me. The crease color and liner color did work well. The highlight color was not the best. I will not give up on this product because of the great reviews. I have to get a new UDPP and try this product again over primer to make the lid color really pop. Still think it's great.

on 4/13/2011 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is my most loved/used drugstore eyeshadow quad. I have had this for years, when I first started wearing makeup, and have hit pan on the lid/crease colours already!! For daytime, I usually just wore the brow bone colour all over my lid and then the lid colour on my crease as it was more school appropriate, and other times, I would wear all four colours. I used the outer corner shade the least as I only used it to line my eyes and not as a crease colour since I felt it was too 'intense', but since it was a matte shade, I used it to also fill in sparse areas for my brows and it did a pretty good job since I have black hair. (black is usually too harsh, and this dark chocolate brown was the best option). The brow bone shade is quite sheer. A big difference to the other three shades which are all quite highly pigmented. Not alot of fallout from this quad compared to the others from this line, and a primer is a must to keep these shadows in place and to prevent creasing. Blending is very easy too. Not much effort required to get these shadows to work. Buying another quad as it's very travel friendly and very versatile. Can go from day-to-night in just one quad. Perfect.

on 3/17/2011 11:59:00 PM

A nice quad for a no brainer brown smokey eye. Pretty good quality, except for the highlight shade which i guess is ok for blending colours out but doesn't show up at all. The lid colour is my favourite, very pretty.

on 3/10/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this was just ok. I wanted to like it more than I did. the color payoff is decent, especially over primer, but I really only liked two of the colors. The white color and the taupe shade weren't really that great for me, and had the least payoff. However, I do love the matte dark brown color and the coppery color. I didn't have any problems with staying power, but I do use them over TFSI, so I don't know about not using them without it. I don't think I would buy these again, just b/c I'm pretty sure I can find other colors to replace the ones I like.