Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant

3.3

on 1/15/2013 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

If there's one thing you need to know upfront, it's this: if you are stinky, this deodorant alone will not cut it for you. But, that doesn't mean that you can't use it and be stink free...

Here's the backstory: I have been anti-antiperspirant free for a year now and have tried quite a few natural deodorants. At first it was mostly a huge fail because these just don't have anything to prevent the bacterial build up that causes the odor. It wasn't until I used a certain (very expensive) natural deodorant that I got the results I was looking for. The secret in that deodorant was aluminum-free sodium bicarbonate. THAT is what made all of the difference.

Fast forward to today, I can successfully use any natural deodorant by lightly dusting it in Bob's Red Mill aluminum-free baking soda before applying it. It is a no-fail solution for me. So, I highly recommend trying it next time you venture into deodorant land.

That being said, I can review this deodorant for all of it's great qualities... It smells great. Warm, soft, non-obnoxious powdery vanilla. That usually isn't my scent of choice but this is nice...imagine being a little baby cuddled up on your mommy...it's like that.

It's very moisturizing, doesn't leave white spots & rinses clean. For me, those are a big deal. I used an entire travel-sized tube of this and will buy more in the future. If you want to try this deodorant but have had problems with natural deodorants in the past, I encourage you to try my trick. It's likely you'll never go back to antiperspirants again.

Let me say first that I've never felt so strongly about a product as much as I felt over this deodorant to write a review (aside from the ghd, which I love to death! The polar opposite of how I feel about this deodorant.)
It started with a video review or two of individuals proclaiming their love for this deodorant, I was so taken by their enthusiasm that I had to check it out for myself! So off I went to sephora, taking my time to choose which scent would be perfect for me and settled with vanilla grapefruit, it was love at first whiff! I was so enamored with this deodorant that after the first week I bought a second one to put in my purse. That should've gave a pause and reconsider this deodorant. To begin with I never thought I was sweaty nor stinky enough to merit the use of an antiperspirant and I was going through a phase wherein I wanted to change my whole skin care gradually into a more "natural" one, that's how I decided to start with the lavanilla deodorant.
After two days of getting my deodorant, I was in love with it though it didn't really keep me dry. I noticed that my underarms where damp after a couple of hours, though that didn't bother me much as long as I didn't stink. I figure I'd get a 2nd one to keep in my purse to reapply when I was at work... I should've realized that with the price point that it was at, I shouldn't be repurchasing a second one just so I could reapply it as the day went on. Then as the week progressed, I started to notice that my underarms specifically the area that I applied it on started to become red though it wasn't burning nor was there any itching. I figured my body was just getting used to this product... But boy after two weeks, it was still there redder than ever! The last straw came from a comment that my husband made (he likes to cuddle beside me when where sitting on the couch). He said w, "honey, your armpits smell sour...". Omg, never in my life had somebody say that and together with the rash I decide it was time to get my $36+tax from sephora.
As much as I want to keep all my skin regimen as natural as possible, I think I'll stick to my dove deodorant. For less than $5 dollars, I'm sweat and smell free all day.

on 11/3/2012 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I did not have a very good experience with this deodorant. I really liked the smell and found that it applied nicely to my skin. However, the benefits stopped there (at least they did for me). This product did NOTHING for me. I'm not a smelly person at all, however, I found that I certainly did not smell "fresh" halfway through the day while wearing this. I used it for a week consistently because I thought that perhaps I needed time to get used to the product, but I had no luck with that strategy either. I really wanted to like this product because I like the idea of a natural product, however the fact of the matter is that this does not work the same as 'regular' deodorant, so if that's what you're looking for, save your money and buy something from the drugstore!

on 10/11/2012 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a great natural deodorant. I have the lavender vanilla scent. I usually wear it over top of a liquid-roll-on crystal deo (which never does the job alone) but on a slow day I can just wear this and it gets the job done just fine. Believe me, my boyfriend would/does make it known if I ever stink. Lol. The packaging is awesome, it's pretty and the dome-shape works well for application, and I love that the cap twists on and off as opposed to just a lift-off cap like most deodorants have.. No chance of the product coming open in your bag. The smell is nice, inoffensive and fades after a couple hours but still prevents stink. My only 2 cons for this is the price (holy jeez, though you can get it cheaper on ebay sometimes), and this occasionally gives me a weird stingy feeling?? Not sure why as it's natural and ironically, I never had a problem with irritation with chemical-laden aluminum based antiperspirants... But it's not anything unbearable and is only a temporary sensation, so it's not a big deal for me. Overall I would recommend this product.

on 9/18/2012 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I used four of these, the stopped. I really wanted to like them because of the smell.
First, they are not really effective in hot summer days, dont last long. Second, the pure vanilla (i think this is what its called) gave me a rash.
They smell nice but cant beat my fav deodorat Degree in lasting and protective power, not worth the price

on 9/8/2012 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have been eyeing this for a long time, hesitant to shell out the crazy money for deodorant, for goodness' sake. But I finally did, and I don't regret it. If you can accept that no "natural" deodorant, without antiperspirant ingredients, can keep you as fresh and dry as drugstore brands, then this is about the best I have found. I have tried perhaps ten natural deodorants over the years, and this one has the fewest cons. (The driest I have been is with Kiss My Face liquid rock roll-on, because it has the crystal rock minerals in it, but it makes my pits red so I must be allergic.) So Lavanila is the new winner. The best part is that it looks and feels like traditional antiperspirant, a powdery, slightly creamy solid. Not a gel or sticky liquid like many. It keeps me as non-stinky as I can reasonably expect (but I am not stinky by nature, so I'm not the best judge). It does not keep me as dry as I would like to be, but it does create enough of a film that I feel sticky but not actually wet when it gets hot and sweaty. The packaging is heavy and attractive, but geez, it better be for $18. The vanilla lavendar scent is subtle and elegant, almost unisex.

on 8/30/2012 4:51:00 PM

I wanted to love this so much! Got the mini in Lavender Vanilla, and decided to use it on a day at home where I wasn't going anywhere or doing much. I applied it generously and it smells REALLY pretty. The two stars are for how beautiful this smells. It sort of tugs as it goes on, so its not as smooth going on as drugstore deodorants. I also like that the cap screws on and off, plus the package design is attractive as well as functional.
There's a very mild stinging/burning sensation for a minute or so after applying, but its not too bad and I didn't deduct any stars for it.
I went in figuring I wouldn't be dry with this since its a deodorant, but I'm staying much dryer than I would without deodorant and about as dry as I stay with drugstore deodorant. Very nice.
The problem is that while BO/smell is never really a problem for me (dampness is more of an issue for me), this stuff makes me smell SO bad within 3 hours or so. Like, rank BO as if I had gone 2 days without any deodorant or showering.

on 7/30/2012 2:27:00 PM

I really wanted to like this. I purchased the Vanilla Coconut scent at Sephora. The cashier advised me that when first using the product I would think it doesn't work. She said to use it for a few weeks to allow my body time to expel the residue of chemical deodorants. It's been 3 weeks and I find I need to apply it a few times a day. I work in a cool office environment and by early afternoon I can smell myself. I'll be going back to non-natural deodorant.

on 7/7/2012 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was using the grapefruit vanilla scent. It smelled nice but didn't last that long. I had to bring it with me in my purse so I could reapply it once or twice throughout the day. Plus it was messy and got on my clothes so not good for sleeveless or black clothes. Not to mention it's pretty expensive, and though it doesn't contain aluminum, it's not a totally "clean" product. It worked better than other natural deodorants I tried, but I'm still looking for something better.

on 6/25/2012 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Been using the Lavender Vanilla scent. I have a love hate relationship with this stuff. Alone with a couple swipes per arm it doesn't work very well and I'm a bit funky in an hour with no strenuous activity. If I back this up by first applying some tea tree oil to my underarms then it lasts for 6 or so hours. If I back this up with tea tree oil and apply the deodorant to my underarms almost as if I'm applying frosting to a cake? Then, yes, it works well. lol! Seriously though I need to really swipe this puppy onto my skin to get it to work. I know that there is tea tree in this deodorant but it's not sufficient. I've read often that applying essential oils directly to the skin isn't a good thing to do but I've not found a better alternative. So I might buy again and might not. Looking at the ingredients I see that cornstarch is listed and that's a bit concerning. Earlier this year I scoured the net looking for DIY deodorant recipes and learned that though cornstarch is great for spreadability it's not good for odor control. Cornstarch is made from corn and it contains sugars. The germies on our skin like to eat sugars and that causes odor and the cornstarch sugars contributes to extra funk so the use of cornstarch is contributing to the problem so many people are having. I can say positively though that the scent of this deodorant is great! Very clean and a bit herbal IMO. I think that men could wear this one also if they dare.