November 23, 2014 | 913 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Jimduhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Packaging:
The packaging is just okay for me. I personally don't like jar moisturizers because I just like how much more hygienic pump moisturizers are. Also it's so easy to get product on the lid so that's something you have to be careful about.

Price:
The price is average for a philosophy product. It's not too expensive but I don't think it's cheap either.

Texture:
It's in between creamy and liquidy for me, but I think it leans more over to the liquidy side.

Smell:
I can't really describe the smell. It's not bad to me. It's not exactly pleasant either. It's just bearable.

Pros:
-Hydrates well

Cons:
-Can leave skin feeling oily sometimes
-Not the cheapest moisturizer in the world

Impressions/Comments:
I like to use this moisturizer after I wash my face when my skin is feeling dry and tight. However, whenever I wear makeup I always have to add more moisturizer (Clinique's Moisturizing Gel) on top of this one. It's okay, I mean it leaves your skin feeling refreshed, but for those that are big on the scent of a product then you might want to test this out somewhere before purchasing it because I know that its smell is very hit or miss. I honestly didn't notice anything different from my skin after using it, but it does moisturize my face so I'll give it that. I'm saying that I wouldn't buy this product again simply because I want to try other moisturizers out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by tbabi

So everyone raves about how great Philosophy products are and I do like Purity Made Simple Cleanser but this mosturizer wasn't good.

Usually my skin doesn't like change. I do not break out in acne but I do get red hive like bumps when my skin doesn't agree with a product. I was nervous to try a new moisturizer but surprisingly it didn't irritate my skin which is awesome. But... I feel that it is not mosturizing at all especially since I have dry skin. I also think that this product has a really bad scent that lingers. I understand that Purity Made Simple smells like this too but it doesn't linder like the moisturizer does. I also don't mind the scent in purity made simple as long as it works and this mosturizer just doesn't work well enough for the price and size.

I say don't bother with this moisturizer..

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Elmasalihovic

I have had some major skin issues the past year. My skin is sensitive, sometimes it happens to be dry and sometime too oily its acne prone as well. I have spent so much money on higher end products with promised results, but they were just not working for me. I decided to try hope in a jar and everyone advised me against it, everyone told me it would not do much for my skin and I was still willing to try. I tried it and loved it! It moisturizes my skin without making it oily or dry. My skin feels great. Would recommend to anyone!!! Great product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by MaigeAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

No. I have no clue what Philosophy is putting in their products but it definitely shouldn't be there. I gave this stuff an OK review a few weeks ago but am rescinding. Some users wrote about a burning feeling - I haven't experienced this, but I have chemical burns above my eye brows and cheeks. I have a few hive-like circles on my forehead and broken capillaries on my cheeks and nose that I did not have before using this product.

I must mention that I have normal skin, not sensitive and this stuff is ruining it! Do not recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4
Price: 2-3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a light olive-skinned asian, in my mid-late 20s. I have combination/oily, acne-prone skin.

I tried this cream out a few years ago and hated it - I finished it, and swore I'd never try it again. At the time, I felt like it was too heavy for my skin, and I had a "burning" sensation when I used it.

Fast forward to now: I tried it out again at the urging of one of my best friends who swears by this stuff. I bought the 0.5oz jar to try just in case I didn't like it, but honestly, I LOVE this stuff now! It could be that I was using this product wrong before, but this is how I use it now:

- after I wash my face, I leave my face wet (or if I've dried it, I spray it with some water), and then I apply a finger-tip amount to my face and massage onto my wet face. I find this thins out the product to allow to more even application and it absorbs into my skin quickly without a trace of heaviness, stickiness, or film. I don't need a lot of moisture, so this method works for me. If you have drier skin, you can probably do this without wetting your face.

After using this product I have found that my face has a fabulous rosy glow, my skin texture is smoother, my pores are smaller, and my oiliness is better. This product does not advertise any of these things (except glowing skin) but I am pleasantly surprised by the effects of this moisturizer.

As others have mentioned, the texture is like whipped cream. It does not feel heavy and is 99.9% oil-free. It smells of lavender, so if you don't like that kind of smell you might not like this, but personally I quite enjoy it.

I used to wake up to very oily skin when I used other moisturizers at night - I don't have that problem with this. I don't have to worry about breakouts with this moisturizer either (and I usually ALWAYS apply benzoyl peroxide - I have managed to skip this step entirely since using this).

I find the price of this moisturizer ridiculous though - $20/0.5 oz or $52/2 oz?? Thankfully, at the Costco near me, it's $17/2 oz! I'm totally stocking up.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about trying this, or you tried it before and didn't like it, give it another try using the method I mentioned - you might rediscover a favourite!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Nickelpickle

Hope in a Jar has smoothed out some tiny bumps that have been on my forehead for over a year. I've tried several other high end products, with no success. This isn't cheap, but won't break the bank either. The smell is sort of weird, but it goes on smooth and never feels greasy to me. I use it twice a day, at least an hour before makeup or the gym.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 10:14:00 AM More reviews by misscherstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had to get use to the smell at first, and it felt kinda heavy and really creamy compared to Mary Kay what I was using, but after this sets the smell goes away and the cream feels light. I love this stuff for the time being!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 5:25:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

First let me state that this product was one of my first from Philosophy and I used it for quite some time. I was a total Philosophy girl for years and then quit seeing any results so I changed to Ole Henrickson for awhile and now use a vast combination of products (including both) rather than sticking solely to a single line.

I regress, the Hope in a Jar is a heavy emulsion for seriously dry skin and was my go-to in the fall and winter when my skin tended to dry out from cooler temperatures, wind and of course running the heater in my home. The jar product was always a little too heavy for my facial skin type so I used the lighter, oil-free product in the tube, never could use the type with SPF as my skin is seriously sensitive to sunscreen and reacts violently if in contact with certain ingredients.

I quit using when I just wasn't getting the same results that I used to and realized it wasn't the products that changed but rather my skin changed as I aged so my needs were different. I recommend this product to anyone that suffers from dry or combination skin with flakiness on their cheeks, this stuff really does soothe and calm patchy dryness and keeps the areas moistened for smooth foundation application. I can't honestly say that it will keep the areas moistened for all day smoothness but it does make a big difference. I still use the heavier product from the jar on my neck and décolleté as I think this moistens like no other and keeps the area youthful with no signs of aging.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by SassyCappy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Did Hope In A Jar make my skin look amazing? Yes. Did it give me an awful reaction? Yes! My face itched so badly that it felt like it was on fire. I started using HIAJ when my mother began using another Philosophy face product and gave me her jar to finish. I opened up the jar to be hit right in the nostrils with ammonia. It was awful! Because I'm not familiar with Philosophy products, I didn't think anything of it and neither did my mother. After using it for about two days, I immediately saw an improvement in my skin. I began a ritual of putting it on when I dried off after the shower at night, and right before putting my makeup on in the morning. However, by the fourth day, spots on my face began to itch very badly. Because it didn't itch all over my face, I thought maybe I had gotten bit...multiple times. I honestly didn't want to even think for one second that I was allergic to HIAJ because my skin had never looked or felt better - in just less than a week! But it was on that fifth day that I realized I may in fact have an allergy to something in this moisturizer. After work every night, I take a kickboxing class, where I sweat all over my body profusely, especially my face. Mid class, my face felt like I was being attacked by red ants. It itched, it burned, I thought I was going to pass out, that's how bad it was. I was so desperate to relieve the itchy, burning sensation that I took some of the cleaner used for the boxing bags and patted my face with it. I then did an experiment. I threw out that jar of HIAJ (the one that smelled of ammonia) stopped using it altogether for a couple of days, while the itchiness went away (it took about 2-3 days). Then I opened a brand new jar and used it. At first I was fine, and I thought that maybe it was in fact the old jar, that maybe it had expired or something. But then mid-day of having the moisturizer from the new jar on my face, the same thing happened, including lingering itching 2-3 days later. So now I'm convinced that there is some ingredient in HIAJ that I'm allergic to, and it breaks my heart! Overall, the product is great - a little on the expensive side - but great; I really liked the consistency, I loved the way it made my skin look and feel, and Philosophy really makes great products. I'm officially on the hunt for a moisturizer that will give my skin the results that Hope In A Jar gave to it.

Not a fan of the price, but it DOES last for a pretty long time, so glass half full.

*UPDATE (6 months later) - from 2 lippies to 4!*

Because of my itchy fiasco a few months back, I use HIAJ every now and then; I limit it to twice or three times a week, and a day or so in between uses. I can't seem to stay away from this stuff, and using it after my honey with lemon mask, my skin glows and has never looked better. I wish I could remember my makeup routine during the days of the itch because I'm convinced it was something else counteracting against HIAJ.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by dragongirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this and the HIAJ Night Cream from Philosophy when I bought the Razor Sharp Shavng Gel (which is an awesome product that I absolutely love,btw!)
However, I had the opposite experience with this little sample packet.
It seems like so many people have this on their wish list, so I was happy to finally experience what all the fuss is about. I set my usual treatment aside and went to work slathering a generous amount on my poor unsuspecting skin. Right away, even though it was nowhere near my eyes, they started to burn like crazy. I don't know if there is some ingredient in the product that caused this or if it was just the god awful smell. I finally had to grab a towel to rub it off my skin after trying several minutes to get it to absorb. I couldn't stand my eyes burning anymore, and I'm half tempted to just wash my face completely and start over. I'm glad this was just a sample size as it was completely not what I was expecting. I definitely won't be purchasing this.

*update* My skin started to itch, so I went ahead and washed this stuff off completely. This is what I get for cheating on my MyChelle Pumpkin Renewal Cream....never again!!