April 20, 2014 | 1640 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Hydrating Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by aliceayres

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using CeraVe's hydrating cleanser for two years now. After trying different cleansers (see my reviews) for years, I have just stuck with this one. My skin has been changing. It goes from break-out city to smooth to dry to oily... it depends sometimes on weather, diet... it's pretty insane. I got tired of messing with my routine and opted to treat my skin as dry and sensitive by default so I was referred to this wash.

It doesn't lather. It's much like the Cetaphil cleanser, but I have better luck with this for some reason. No offensive smell. Ceramides and hyraulonic acid. It doesn't take all of my makeup off if I have a heavier face of make-up on, but it doesn't dry my skin out if I use it twice. My routine: Bioderma Sensibio/Crealine Micellar Water and cotton rounds to remove makeup. Apply CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser to face. Use Clarisonic Mia. Rinse. If I am out of my Bioderma micellar water, I just do the same process using the CeraVe cleanser. It works but I feel like the micellar water is better at removing makeup.

Happy skin! No breakouts. No dry skin. Just wish the bottle looked cuter. Also, when you get to the bottom of the bottle it gets annoying trying to get cleanser out but I'll deal.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by glanda

I like this product so much right now. It doesn't break me out, dry me out. I cannot find any bad things about it. I definitely will repurchase it. However, this product is always out of stock....Yeah, I just want to add one more thing... I have finished one bottle already, took me about 3 month for only morning use...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:05:00 PM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have dry, sensitive skin that can get over-cleansed even with "gentle" cleansers. This is a great morning cleanser for removing my night time moisturizer. It does NOT take off makeup, so I never use it in the evening if I've had makeup on all day.

While it has some great ingredients in it, I'm not sure whether they actually make much of an impact since it's just a cleanser that you rinse off. But my skin never ever reacts to it, it provides extra moisturization, and the bottle is larger than most so I don't have to rebuy often. The price is comparable to most other drugstore cleansers because of the size of the bottle (twice the price, but twice the amount too).

For now, I'm happy with it and I am sticking with this as my gentle basic morning moisturizer. I use foaming cleansers at night to remove makeup, and this is perfect to alternate with those since they dry me out if I use them day and night.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

This feels very similar to Cetaphil. However, while it did not dry me out, I feel like it did not cleanse even as well as Cetaphil did... kind of a disappointment. I only used it a few times before I gave it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Beachsugar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have rosacea with dryness but have oily skin. Great combo right! Anyhow, I was using Avene but things never really settled down. Finally I just gave up and cleaned with only water which made things even worse. Nose started breaking out in whiteheads. Went to the derm and she gave me some metrolotion saying the white heads have something to do with the rosacea but it never worked. Made me peel like crazy.
I bought this after reading the ingredients and some reviews. It has really helped. I do not wear make up daily and I've not figured out the right usage. As in days when I don't wear m/u to use or not to use. Though the more I use this the better my skin looks.
It has no smell. Is creamy and I do find that it removes m/u but I use a wash cloth first then I wash twice. I do not wear heavy m/u. Just powder products nothing liquid except mascara.

I'm very pleased with this find. Thinking of trying their moisturizing lotion but for now I will stick with La Roche-Posay Rosaliac AR Intense.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Crstna36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just bought this but haven't tried it yet so I will update and change lippies if I need to. I'm posting first without trying because after reading only one page of reviews in my age range I felt the need to say something of importance:
This is a FACIAL CLEANSER. Not a MAKEUP REMOVER! I get frustrated at people who complain about a product, thus bringing down ratings, when they are not using the product for its intended purpose. If you wear makeup use a makeup REMOVER first as its intended purpose is to remove makeup. Then use a facial cleanser to, yes! cleanse your face. Maybe some people want to do just one step and that's fine. Find a product that's purpose is a makeup remover and facial cleanser in one. However, those with sensitive or dry skin may find such a product too harsh. Try a cleansing oil, makeup remover cloths, balm, or cream that's sole purpose is to remove makeup, THEN use this Hydrating Cleanser to clean your makeup free skin. I bet at least 50% of people who gave a bad review will be much happier with this product.

The reason I purchased this particular cleanser is to use after my Alpha-Beta, Glycolic, or TCA peels. All of my other cleansers are the foamy kind and are too harsh on tender post-peel skin. I'm hoping this does the trick as I'm doing a second round (one per week) tonight. After 4 rounds I'm going to do my yearly TCA peel. The reason for the weekly peel is to prep my skin for the BIG PEEL, TCA.

I promise to update next week after using this cleanser for several days and give my opinion of the product itself. No more preaching, I promise!

09/24/13 ***!UPDATE!***
So, I have finished my series of 4 Alpha/Beta peels (15% Salicylic Acid & 50% Glycolic Acid, all pH 1) and am letting my skin rest and rejuvenate before doing a Jessner's + 20% TCA Peel. I have to say that the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is absolutely perfect for post-peel cleansing. I do use DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to remove my Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion PA+++ SPF 60 because that stuff is waterPROOF and needs an oil to remove it. I don't wear makeup post-peel so I just rinse off the DHC instead of using a cloth like I normally would. I follow up with the CeraVe and it's fantastic. It does not dry out my skin and does do a good job of cleansing. I have even rotated it into my cleansers to use if my face feels particularly dry, stressed, or if I've over done a facial. So I'm keeping my lippies and recommendations the same. (Side note: the reason I list the actual name of what product I'm using is in case someone wants to try it. I've read other reviews where someone raves about a product but doesn't mention the name of something I might like to try. So I hope that helps.)

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by amyc016

I LOVE LOVE LOVED this...felt very cleansing and didnt even have to moisturize after. I have dry/sensitive skin and get pimples every once in awhile. After about a month of using this my forehead completely broke out. I don't usually have pimples on my forehead so i went back to my old Phisoderm facewash and it took a couple weeks but it went back to normal. I really liked this except for that :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm late to the Cerave love fest. I have used the PM moisturizer and repurchased it once, liking the effective moisture from a light lotion. I tried this cleanser and I am impressed. My skin is holding on to moisture better than ever before and I'm wondering if perhaps I had a problem with my skin barrier being disrupted. All I can say is that my very dry skin is now not as dry overall and even if I skip a day or two. I don't expect this to take off all my makeup, so I do that before I cleanse if I use this at night. This product is magical to me, I suspect it's the ceramides in it that help with that protective barrier.. I'm noticing that my makeup is not evaporating on my face like it would when my skin is so dry. I am thinking about trying the cream as well at this point.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Laurad01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My bad rating is based solely on the fact that this stuff does not remove makeup at all. I don't have acne or sensitive skin, or any problems at all that would necessitate using this product... Just tried it for the heck of it, and hated it. I don't like having to wash my face repeatedly to get makeup off at the end of the day. Would not purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Paintedlily62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This didn't work well for my skin (perioral dermatitis, combination). It left my skin a bit dry and irritated on first use.