October 21, 2014 | 990 users online

Sunscreen - Cetaphil - UVA/UVB Defense Facial Moisturizer SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by toffeenut

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I must preface this review by stating that I did not use this products for weeks and weeks. This will not be a thorough review of the pros and cons of using this moisturizer. Why? I only used this lotion once, this morning, and it almost made me take the Lord's name in vain. OMG!!! I am NC 45, AA and this had the worst white casting that turned gray on me. WTF?! It's for all skin types?! What about all skin tones?! I don't think so. Fifteen minutes later, it is still trying to absorb into my combo/dry skin. I had to run to the computer to tell darker women of color, "Don't waste your money!" Luckily for me, this was a free item when I bought a jumbo sized combo of Cetaphil cleanser for my toddler son, so it will join last night's leftovers in the trash can. (With the exception of the cleanser for my 2 year old, all of the Cetaphil products I have tried have been disappointments. I don't believe the hype.)
Update: 6/11/10. Okay, after the initial reaction to the suckiness of this product, I can give a little more insight into it. The gray cast was present all day, even under my MAC MSFN. It was extremely greasy on, and though it kept my skin moisturized, I looked like a grease ball on a not-too-hot day. AND, worst of all, these little white bumps popped up on my face by the end of the day. They were on my cheeks and forehead mostly. This is one of the worst beauty products that I have tried in a long time. SMH

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by blueelm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a very moisturizing sunscreen because I recently decided to use Retin-A and I've had some dryness from that. This does moisturize but feels like a coat of wax on my skin.

After wearing I felt like washing my face and couldn't stand myself! So waxy and uncomfortable. Then at midday I noticed some blemishes coming up on my cheeks. I don't know if it was the sunscreen that caused that or if they were lurking underneath already. I do blame the sunscreen for the enlarged pores that appeared on my cheeks by that time though. It looked like my skin was suffocating.

I had switched to this after I developed a mild allergic rash from another moisturizer thinking I could kill two birds with one stone.

I don't think I will buy this again, but instead will stick with anthelios and just find a good mild cream to use otherwise. I'll just use this up on my chest and shoulders. But I'd be careful because it is irritating to Retin-A skin. I've never been so sensitive before!

It also may cause some breakouts.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2010 7:34:00 PM More reviews by megs12582

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i bought this because i recently moved to denver and since we are closer to the sun here then when i was in CALI, i decided i wanted to find a high SPF for my daily moisturizer, so i decided to check this out, ( i love all thier other products- and they do wonders)
I BROKE OUT! In 1 day, HORRIBLY. I only used it that one day.. and that was the only thing i had changed in my routine. So there was no way i was going to put that stuff back on my face again.. lol No one could pay me! I guess i'll just keep looking :).. HUMF.... oh well

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2010 3:15:00 AM More reviews by redstone1365

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I was very disappointed with this product. I have combo skin and Im not usually allergic to skin care products.My dermatologist recommended this as I was looking for a sunblock with high spf. Im presently using a 25 SPF daytime moisturizer and im very very pleased with it (Anew Retroactive old formula).Been using it for years.My skin glows with this product. But due to the intense summer heat lately (I live in Asia) and my being out in the field most of the time, I decided I wanted higher SPF. I tried Cetaphil SPF 50 Defense Facial Moisturizer. I already bought it when I read the reviews but I still took the risk. Big mistake. I still used my moisturizer then Cetaphil under my foundation. My! My skin looked blotchy and uneven. I was outdoors for one hour and I could see bumps on my cheeks (never had pimple on the cheeks,only on my chin). I was dying to go home to wash off the product.

As soon as I got home I washed it off (three hours after). I saw reddish bumps on my cheek (3-4 bumps). I really really regret trying this product. I applied fluocinolone cream (for skin irritations) and I hope this will help remove the bumps.

Be careful with this product. Wish I didnt try it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by mooneyes89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Did I get a bad one or what? It seems sooo thin to me, not thick at all! Which I prefer thick! Although it does not absorb, but after I put my makeup on you cant see it. Plus it lightens your face and makes you look more flaweless. BUT it also stung my face when I put it on! HOW is it recommended by derm when it burns??? plus it has paraffins wich creep me out!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Prorance

Wow! What a disappointment. I had very high hopes for this product, and when I saw an ad about it I couldn't wait to go and buy it.

But, when I started to use it (about 2 days ago), it's quite thick and doesn't absorb into my skin. It's supposed to be non-greasy, but I look like a frying pan, and not to mention as soon as I covered my face with this, I looked very pale. It's supposed to be a light-weight moisturizer, but it feels pretty heavy to me.

I'm not very happy with this product considering I paid $18 for 50ml of this, when I could have just bought any other regular sunscreen for that amount of money, or half. After applying this and waiting 10 minutes, I had to go wash my face and apply the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. I will be returning this product, and would not recommend or buy it again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by noname101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was looking for an honest, good sunscreen.

While this may be affordable and high spf, It does not wear very well under makeup (for me ) and is a bit greasy!

My aveeno is much better for under makeup

I will keep this for serious sun exposure and use it on my shoulders. Maybe around my eyes. Other than that, I seriously recommend that you keep on looking if you need a good spf to wear under your makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by joyousjoy88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I find myself coming back to this product for several reason. I have dry skin and this has been able to keep my skin moist through out the day, and it has a very high spf which I find is great. It does take a while to set in, but I found that if you put a very little amount it spreads well, so a little goes a long way and wont take so long to sink it. I dont apply it thickly, and i use a smashbox primer over top and its great! I have sensative skin and it doesnt irritate it. I dont really have break out problems and this never made me break out. I use it all year round, 5 lippies.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by motto011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The good thing about this product is that even though the package is pretty small, a little goes a long way. I bought this for the spf about a month ago and have been using it daily. The price really isn't that bad (around $14 CDN at walmart), but I don't think I'll be buying this again. First off, it doesn't absorb well. I have combination dry skin, and after about 15 minutes I can see dry patches all around my face. It also makes my skin look uber oily/shiny. Its decent, but I think I'll have better luck with another moisturizer.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by jcl925

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm sure this would be great as a regular sunscreen for other body parts but I will not be using this with my regular morning skincare routine. I applied this 15 minutes before putting on my make up hoping the moisturizer would absorb but it didn't. I ended up looking super greasy and using blotting papers all day to sop up the shine. I've never been so disappointed in a moisturizer before. I love that it's SPF 50 and was hoping this could be my HG daily facial moisturizer but I can't look like an oil slick everyday.