November 26, 2014 | 1859 users online

Powders - Clinique - Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2010 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Kashinka

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product works very well for me. It is meant to be a concealer, so people who have been using it for other purposes (a reviewer below thought it was a foundation) have naturally been disappointed. I use it for redness around the base of my nose and sides of my mouth, and I apply it after cleansing and before foundation. The right brush is important, so throw out the dreadful brush that comes with it (it's useless not only for this product but for anything else). I use Bare Escentuals' concealer brush, which is much bigger than most such brushes and not as stiff. It's perfect for this product. For the reddest patches, I press the brush into the plastic top to get the powder to adhere, then press it in the same way onto my skin. For less acute redness I brush it on carefully. I have tried other redness concealers over the years (most were green rather than yellow), and none helped because the medium they used to convey the concealing color--like the sticky substance Estee Lauder once had, or the liquid that Eucerin still sells--added unwonted texture to the face and needed a cover-up of its own. Clinique's finely milled powder is perfect. The product is unnecessarily expensive, but you do get a lot. I've used mine for nearly a year and the jar still looks full.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by tmab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this stuff. I have a lot of redness all around my mouth and nose and this truly helps to even it out. I apply my foundation (i'm so red that foundation does not cover it) then set it with a regular powder avoiding the red areas. Then I take a small amount of this powder and lightly dust it over the problem spots.
Now, I don't believe that this is a breakthrough product. I can't tell a difference between this and any other yellow powder but it works for me. It does not make the redness disappear is just masks it. At the time that I bought it I could not find a cheap yellow powder anywhere so I ended up paying $32 for this but that's ok because there is A LOT of product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by purplenylon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My redness did decreased but I still needed foundation. The yellow color of the powder made my fair skin slightly yellow so I used a powder foundation to hide the yellow. The packaging says'helps skin "keep its cool." ' I felt no cooling effect from the powder. By the end the day the redness in my cheeks was peaking out.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2010 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Elizabby

Wouldn't buy this stuff again. It looks very yellow in the jar, but seems to go on OK. I have a lot of hormonal flush to my skin since my last pregnancy - the lady at the counter asked me if I just stepped out of the shower! This covered it up OK, but about the same as any other foundation - AND I still have to use a foundation over it to get the right colour.

The brush is horrible and tickles and scratches, but even with a better brush it can be hard to control the depth - too much and you look like you are dying of jaundice. Using the right amount works OK for me - at another makeup counter they couldn't tell I was wearing it, but overall I'd rather just get a slightly heavier coverage foundation and not bother with the extra step. I'm a NW20, but I don't wear makeup every day and the last thing I want to do is fuss with layers of this and that on top of each other.

Bottom line: too expensive when any concealer/corrective would do the same. I don't believe the claims that this makes your skin any different in the long term.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This does what now? It is a yellow powder that does nothing, really. I tried many methods of using this from applying it between different products and using different application methods. It disappears into my skin and does not diminish my mild redness on cheeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by ktcolt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Ok, this works. If you use in combination with another green primer to reduce the redness in your skin. This by itself is not all that great, but as a setting powder or together with primer, its great. It diluted the look of red in my skin which in my late 30's makes me happy!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Chrissys16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Where has Clinique Redness Solutions Mineral Powder BEEN all my life? I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff! I have rosacea across my nose and cheeks. I usually start out with the GREEN-tinted Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Primer and then use this to set the primer. If I'm having a "bad skin day", I'll use a light dusting of Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in Fairly Light over my primer and THEN set it with the yellow Clinique powder (using the same BE Swirl-Tap-Buff technique - I'm wondering if the reviewers that thought it was "cakey" perhaps weren't tapping the excess off the brush first before applying?).

Either way, it is EXTREMELY finely-milled; my ruddy skin looks absolutely flawless, like porcelain* and I am constantly complimented on it. I used to use T. LeClerc's loose powder in Banane, which I thought was OK, but it doesn't hold a *candle* to Clinique's yellow mineral powder in terms of texture. I really, really wish Clinique would come out with a pressed version as well & I hope to God they never discontinue this. On a scale of 1 to 5 lippies, I'd give it a 45 if I could!

*a tall order, since I'm 34 & spent my first 20 years frying myself in the sun.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by zarvette

I'm surprised at the low reviews. This product is great! I use it alone as a touch up in my T-zone and to camouflage blemishes. I haven't had any problems with it looking scary yellow or caked on. it's really fine.

As with any makeup base or concealer, once you flatten out the canvas you need to add contour. (i.e. warmth, blush)

I think the size is great for the price. Its actually much more than i expected it to be. Bare Minerals is way more expensive for tiny little jars, and that stuff cakes on and looks chaulky!! I only use the warmth. (just FYI the Mineral Veil is just cornstarch! I made my own shades mixing some warmth with plain ol' cornstarch!)

I bought this for $27.60. It is definitely worth it. I have oily skin, but i'm wondering if some of the users blotted excess oil before applying or just expected this powder to sop it up? it's not a talc, so it's not going to be oil absorbing.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Energize

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This powder has a nice texture, very fine, so it does not look like a heavy makeup. A limited range of colours (none really for the very, very pale with yellow undertones - more pink) but the colours they do have are good skintones.

However, this powder made my face very red, itchy, and brought it up in a rash round the eyes and on the cheeks after just a couple of days. I let it all go down and tried again on three separate occasions with the same effect.

It has bismuth oxychloride (very irritating for a lot of people), and grapefruit peel extract. I have nevery had a reaction to a powder before.

I took off a point for poor colour range, and two points for containing bismuth oxychloride as that is a well known irritant.

Shame, because it did look nice the first day I used it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by erinfashionista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Sounds like a great idea, I just wish it worked. This looks cakey on my face, and looks totally unnatural. At the end of the day I'd look in the mirror and my makeup looked like it was almost completely gone. It doesn't set makeup properly, which I would assume it's at least partially for, not just for redness. My least favorite of all the Clinique powders, by far. Not recommended.