L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.7

on 11/15/2010 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, this is a very interesting product. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this product. I ran out of my EL lash primer and because I'm strapped for cash right now I figured this primer would be a good alternative. Why don't they come out with a drugstore primer only? I have seen many double wanded mascaras at the drug store but no primer alone. Anywho, I tried the product not really expecting much but was blown away with how well this works. Both the primer and the mascara work well and they make my lashes look long and full of volume. The primer is very white and you have to use a light hand to only apply a small amount, but the mascara does a great job of covering it up. The most intriguing thing for me about this mascara is the way it comes off. The packaging says you can just use water tor rinse it off, but being the skeptic that I am, I figured that was a lie. It truly comes off with just water!!! This formula is unlike anything I've ever seen for a mascara. It's not like an inky substance that runs when mixed with water. It's almost like a rubber or some sort of silica product. Very cool, just glides right off. The claims on the back of the package were going on about the mascara acting like "tubes" that make the lashes look longer, etc. I kept thinking "tubes, what?". Try this mascara and see for yourself. It doesn't run or smudge. It's amazing. Will definitely repurchase. The only small complaint I have is about the size of the brushes. I feel like they are little stubs. I wish they were longer or something. It takes some getting used to. The actual head of the brush is fine. It's nice and full on the mascara side and long and exact for the primer side.

Edit: I still like this product, the only thing I don't like is the primer. It's a bit too heavy. It weighs down my lashes. So now I just use the mascara side by itself or I pair it with my Clinique lash primer. I probably wouldn't repurchase because while it is convienient to only use water to take off this macara, I find that it takes a while to make sure it's all off. I'll try the other version with the serum.

on 11/15/2010 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I used Maybelline Great Lash for years, until it started irritating my eyes. I tried a bunch of different mascaras and lash tints, but they all irritated my eyes (I wear contacts). I finally tried the Tubes, thinking that maybe they wouldn't flake off into an irritating powder the way other mascaras do. It's true--the Tubes look good, stay on, and don't irritate my eyes. When you want to wash them off, they really do slide off your lashes as big ol' tubes. It's kind of funny, actually. And you don't get raccoon eyes with these, but if you accidentally rub your eyes, you might clump the tubes up.
I've been using this brand of mascara for over a year--I'll stick with it.

on 11/10/2010 3:54:00 PM

I had high hopes for this stuff considering it was $11 and some change at Walmart, which is pretty expensive for a drugstore mascara. As soon as I got home I tried it out and was NOT impressed at all. Minimal length, no volume whatsoever, and one coat looked spidery. I was so so so disappointed! The only great thing was washing it off, the tubes are awesome and they come off clean with just water. I only wore it twice after that, then I threw it in the trash!

on 11/10/2010 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This has become my holy grail of mascaras for one reason - absolutely no smudging and raccoon eyes! I have seen that many reviews ding this mascara for this very reason, the fact that is come off in the clumps like that, but this is the very reason I love it! It is a mid-priced drugstore brand, and a great find for lasting power and length.
One of the main reasons I have always hated washing the make-up off my face at night is the difficulty of getting all the inky black-ness off around the eyes without being too harsh and rubbing my eyes too much (for fear of wrinkles!) and no other mascara I have ever used has compared.
Prior to trying this mascara, I was a constant mascara-switcher never buying the same one twice in a row trying to find the right one. This changed once I discovered that this NEVER smudges, rather coming off as a mass of spidery black tubes, but CLEAN spidery black tubes, mind you. It comes off very cleanly. This makes all the difference when it comes to my bad habit of dreading the before-bed washing. I wash my face as I imagine most women do normally, and then at the end of the process these are able to be pulled off with my fingernails without pulling my lashes out. Trust me, this sounds crazy but it is way easier than the rubbing and having a mess of black around your eyes!
The mascara formula itself is quite lengthening, somewhat thickening, and a little crunchy (if you know what I mean), but what it lacks in softness it makes up for is ease of removal.
I use it interchangingly with and without the white base, without much visible difference, and with the same removal results. The only difference is you get a little more thickness with the white base, but I can get the same result with a few coats of the black mascara anyway, so I rarely use the white base.
If you are looking for a clean, non-smudging mascara that lengthens and cleans up easily, this is the product for you!

on 10/7/2010 11:38:00 AM

I actually really like this mascara. I have the non-waterproof version, and I find it to be smudge-free, flake-free (basically, at the end of a 12hr day i have no black shadow underneath my eyes). The formula really help to lengthen and define my lashes. Also it is really easy to remove, I don't need to use makeup remover, just wash it off with warm water and a good facial cleanser. I think this is definitely a good buy. The only complaint that I have is I find the brush to be a bit big for my eyes (I consider myself to have fairly small eyes), but I guess it's really not the product's fault....
I think I will buy it again (although I do think compare to other drugstore mascara, L'Oreal products are on the pricey side), but I will also try other products occasionally....

on 9/19/2010 10:48:00 AM

Not a very good mascara. It doesnt really do much of anything for me. Not to mention when I tried to wash it off I thought my eyelashes were falling out. Turns out it was just the tubes *phew* Yeah I didnt like this one.

on 9/19/2010 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This mascara is ok I guess. It does provide nice length. It is a pain to remove. It does not separate well and has no volume. I will not repurchase this one.

on 9/6/2010 9:15:00 PM

The only reason to use this mascara is because you can't find anything else that doesn't smudge and you mainly want longer lashes. Aside from that, there are a lot of con's: tends to glue lashes together for spidery effect; does not thicken at all; kills the curl; the two-step application with the primer is a hassle; and the fat brushes smear product on my lids. So I've switched over to some mascara found at a Japanese grocery store in SF Japantown (Dramatic Parfums' Dramatic Volume & Curl Mascara), which also doesn't smudge or flake, but gives a little bit more volume in one coat and dries super fast.

on 9/1/2010 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Gah! I really wanted to like the "tubing" effect this product claims to give- and nice volumizing. For me, it's just awkward putting the mascara on over the white bit because I get an uneven, clumping mess with white still showing. Big thumbs down. I have long lashes, and they aren't thin, and I really wanted to have a feathery, thick effect and all I get is eye lashes clumped together and that's not the kind of volume I look for. lol Ironically, the only thing I would give this 5 lippies for is removal. I just wet my lashes with warm water and the "tubes" kinds fall off and the residue easily washes off. I would not purchase again, nor recommend this product to anybody.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I Began using this product a couple months ago after seeing all the ads for it on TV and wanting to give it a shot. I was very pleased with the length this mascara gave me. I have dark medium to long lashes and I thought this complimented them nicely. Although I did notice it clumped my lashes together sometimes if i applied more than 2 coats, I would still recommend this product to a friend.