MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 12/12/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

SELECTED SHADE: NC37
APPLICATION METHOD: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- satin finish
- easy to blend
- medium to full build-able coverage
- lightweight
- packaging

CONS

- settles into fine lines & pores
- clings slightly onto dry spots
- can look heavy/cakey
- becomes blotchy throughout the day
- poor staying power

COMMENTS: This is a satin finish, medium to full coverage foundation. Don't expect this to control oil or stay on well because it's a more emollient formula, but surprisingly still clings to dry spots. It's lightweight, but always looks heavy regardless of my application method. It just doesn't look smooth. It looks blotchy throughout the day and settles into fine lines and pores pretty quickly. It just doesn't make the skin look pretty. Also, keep in mind that the oils and pigment can separate. Make sure to shake the tube well prior to using.

Will not repurchase.

on 12/7/2014 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm really gutted I don't like this foundation as I really wanted to, I love mac foundations having used prolongwear and studio fix before although I was getting fed up with the "full coverage" and "made up" look I wanted something with more of a satin or dewy finish and I found this, as it sates it has a satin finish but with medium / buildable coverage which sounds awesome but honestly this just doesn't work, as it's gel based it sets very fast so you have to work quickly. If you only want to use a small amount for a lighter coverage it's difficult as it sets and is so hard to blend out. I have really easy skin to work with I can pretty much use anything without any oiliness or dry patches but after an hour or two of wear my t zone is glowing I found myself having to powder constantly. It sets into fine lines terribly underneath the eyes making the skin look dry and cakey (ew) and on the forehead making me look old and I'm only 23!!! I didn't even notice I had lines on my forehead until this foundation highlighted them for me lol! Some people really love this though so maybe it's just not what I wanted as I said before I wanted to come away from the cakey full coverage appearance and with this I feel like you have to use a lot of product for it to blend.

On a positive I really like the smell of this it doesn't seem to have that paint scent like studio fix does, and the packaging is really good as it's a squeeze tube you will get most of the product out of it. But for me that's as far as the positives go! :(

i am so obsessed with this foundation! i bought it with high expectations because of my fellow youtubers recommendations and i am blown away. it has a semi matte finish and DOES NOT BUDGE! lasts all day on me even without setting it :) would highly recommend!!

on 12/1/2014 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this foundation. I had really high expectations for Studio Sculpt because one of my favorite youtubers had shown a clip of her wearing it and it was absolutely stunning on her. I had gotten a sample from MAC in NC42 not too long ago. I used the RT Buffing Brush to apply this and I must say it took some time to blend. After it was thorougly blended in, the finish was gorgeous: beautifully dewey & healthy. If you're not into the whole glowing skin trend, this is not for you. Despite the beautiful finish, I felt obligated to set it with powder which I don't usually do all over my face, but this foundation was SO sticky. I wore this for 12 hours, but by the third hour my face looked like it came out of the McDonalds deep frier. The lasting power was not all that great either. Loved it at first, but I just hated walking around with that sticky feeling and on top of that I looked like a grease-ball. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend this to my oily skin girls out there. Maybe dry?

on 11/22/2014 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this! I thought that I was set for awhile with my MAC Studio Fix Powder + Foundation, but then the freezing cold winds of New York's winter started blowing in, and I realized that there was no way my face, which turns into a desiccated tundra during the cold months, was going to make it through the winter on a powder foundation. I really adore MAC for skin makeup, so I started looking at their options and settled on Studio Sculpt because of its creamy consistency and hydrating properties. I'm so happy that I did.

I purchased this in NC40 (same shade I was in Studio Fix, and I'm NC42 in my Pro Longwear concealer). I always appreciate MAC's division of the cool and warm skintones - one of my issues with other brands is finding the correct undertones. I ALWAYS moisturize and prime underneath (I've been using Laura Geller's Spackle), which I think is important because this does have a dewy finish and would probably disappear pretty quickly sans primer.

One thing I will say is that I've tried applying this with my fingers, and it just didn't work out that well - it was difficult to blend and streaky. While I sort of hate to say this, this is definitely a product made for the Beauty Blender (I didn't have much luck with a foundation brush either). Once I used that, it became easy to apply and get a nice, even finish. I have some pretty bad acne scarring, and this goes a long way in covering it up (I still need some concealer on the very dark areas and under my eyes). I really just need one squeeze for my face. It doesn't feel caked on at all, which is lovely. I would say this gives medium to high coverage, depending on if you layer it a bit - if you are looking for a sheer tint, this definitely isn't it, and while it doesn't look incredibly natural or anything, the dewy finish means that it doesn't give you that matte dollface (which may or may not be your thing).

I sort of hate MAC's pumps - I always end up having issues with them (looking at you Pro Longwear Concealer pump) - so I was super happy to see that this came in a tube. It also has SPF, which is a happy bonus as it eliminates a step in my routine. For $31 at Macy's, this was absolutely worth the buy (a foundation of this quality from another prestige brand will easily cost you $10/$20 more). I don't have issues with breakouts, but I also religiously remove my makeup as soon as I get home and am on prescription acne meds, so I might not be the best person to speak to that because I'm medically obliterating everything in my pores each night :).

Bottom line: highly, highly recommend. Will definitely repurchase. I anticipate going back to Studio Fix Powder + Foundation in the humid summer, but I think that this is my winter foundation moving forward.

on 10/28/2014 9:59:00 AM

I am a lover of pretty much all things MAC, and this is no exception - except in the summer time. During the year, I switch between this foundation and Studio Fix Fluid; the shade of my skin is somewhere between an NW 15 and an NW 20, so I'm always mixing the foundations.

This foundation I really like because in the winter is seems to set way better than in the summer and it keeps my skin from drying out. I don't have dry skin all the time, just the winter months where I live tend to dry things out. I love that in the winter this will go on smoothly and will set quickly (probably due to the dryness of the air) and it's buildable, meaning I can cover my redness without any issue although the foundation itself usually does a really good job. What I will say is that I have to totally let it set (and I usually do this with Fix + from MAC) or else when I put on powder/blush the foundation will lift.

I get how some users find this isn't great for them after using a product like Studio Fix Fluid but I find for the winter, this is pretty much my go to unless I have an event where I know I will be inside with lots of people and it's probably going to be hot. However, for every day (and I wear full make up every day) this is awesome and I have no regrets about buying it. The only issue is I wish MAC would make a shade between NW 15 and NW20 so I don't have to keep buying 2 foundations to mix.

on 10/14/2014 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently picked this up, and overall I am happy with it. I wish it was thicker coverage. I have acne though, so most would like this as is. I use concealer with it. I wish I could eliminate the second step of concealer, and have this work all by itself. However, acne makes everything more difficult.
My skin used to be combination but now it is dry and almost flaky due to acne medicine, but this foundation is not cakey or flaky. I will say if you have oily skin I don't know if it would work for you.
It smells weird, but you don't notice once it is on.
Unless my skin changes, I will continue to buy.

on 10/4/2014 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I was extremely hesitant to buy this because I haven't seen that many good reviews on it but I went along and bought it because I heard that the finish is nice and dewy which I like. I use face & body as well as this, and this give a nice natural finish but is more full coverage. :) long lasting, and has a variety of color matches. I'm NC30 in this one.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This was my first Mac foundation that I ever bought and at the time I thought I loved it, but after trying different brands/types I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it at all.

I find the gel-like formula harder to blend than liquid foundations and it doesn't leave a nice finish and feels thick/heavy on my skin.

However I do like the dewy finish, and it also doesn't tend to dry out my skin like some other foundations do. The colour selection is also good, too.

on 9/27/2014 7:48:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I bought this product a few months ago as I'd heard so many rave reviews about it.
At first I wasn't too sure about it, I've always used powdered foundations in the past as I've always dreaded that 'shine' that can occur within a few hours of liquid foundation application but nevertheless I was willing to give it a chance.

At first I thought I'd made a mistake and wasted money on a foundation that was impossible to work with. No matter how much I blended it just wouldn't 'melt' into my skin, it was quite streaky and obvious I was wearing a 'mask' of makeup. I mixed it with moisturisers, tried adding some studio fix + but it just wasn't working. Not one to give up I did some research and decided to purchase a beauty blender sponge to help with the application process and WOW! What a difference it made. The foundation blended into my skin effortlessly and looked so dewy and natural. If you're going to purchase this foundation I highly recommend you invest in a Beauty Blender sponge, it really does make all the difference.

Agreeing with some other reviews that after awhile this foundation can turn a little shiny and if you're not careful, applying setting powder can turn it into a cakey mess. The bare minimal powder is needed and the brush you use to apply the powder can make all the difference. I use quite a fluffy brush and tap off any excess powder and just apply over my T Zone, if the brush is quite dense then it's extremely easy to go a little OTT with the powder.

I also avoid using this foundation under my eyes as it can settle into fine lines and be quite drying. I usually use my concealer alone under my eyes then just blend this foundation around it to match it in.

Overall this is a pretty good foundation for getting full coverage and a great finish but to get the best results it'll cost you a pretty penny as the results really do rely on the proper application which means purchasing the right sponges and brushes.

But at the moment I'm pretty happy with the results and will most likely repurchase again now that I have the know-how and right tools to get the finish I'm after.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv

Top Rated MAC Products