December 22, 2014 | 1466 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by dileqce

This cream is a miracle. It's corrected my skin tone and texture within 3 weeks. I had some acne scarring and fine lines. My scars are almost gone and fine lines are less visible. But I need to say you have to be really careful if you purchased this product without prescription. You might damage your skin severely. Here is my routine for Retin-A. I've started to use 0.5 twice a week first and gradually increased to 3 times a week and now I am using it daily. It's been 6 weeks now and I will quit using it within 2 weeks cos summer is on the way.First I wash my face with organic olive oil soap and then wait half an hour and apply Retin-A before I go to bed. I don't apply moisturizer. I use a external usage dexpantenol cream called Bepanthene which is available here in Turkey. Bepanthene is an external cream normally used for sunburns and this kind of small dryness skin problems but I like to use it as moisturizer cos it has healing affect. Probably that's why I didn't feel that much of flakiness and dryness while I am on Retin-A. I also avoid sun during daytime. If I have to go out I apply Origins Dr. Weil's Mega Bright UV Protector SPF 40. It's good to add an antioxidant serum to your daily routine. I just ordered Replenix Serum to give a try.But try to avoid heavy vitamin C serums if you have sensitive skin when you are using Retin-A. Cos my skin basically couldn't tolerate it. That's it from my side. I will continue to use Retin-A during winter. Don't forget Retin-A can be dangerous weapon on wrong hands.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 8:11:00 AM More reviews by marisaew1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think anyone and everyone should use retin a. BF's brother in law is a dermatologist and even he uses it. BF is 43, I am 33, mom is 58, we all use it! First eight weeks can be rough, but stick with it, you'll be so glad you did. Retinol is the only thing clinically and FDA approved for wrinkles.

I've been using it for three years and constantly get compliments on my skin. I also accredit that to two doses of accutane years ago. I use the lower strength and only a pea size. Any more will just cause dryness and not work any better. I also use it under my eyes. Love.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Solarislun

I'm 30 years old and I never really got acne until I was around 25. It got pretty bad on just the one side of my face. I tried Retin-A a few years back but I didn't use it like I should have. I've been using it this time for like 2.5 months. I started out using it every other evening and recently switched to every evening. I'm using it with Cetaphil sensitive cleanser and the lotion that can be used on face and body. My skin looks so much better!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Edzwanie

the best treatment for any skin type. i used to take roaccutane to treat my skin, and it lasted only for 2 months as it caused severe dryness to my skin. i stopped, and changed my skincare routine. i use clinique anti-blemish range and retin A at night only. give it 2 weeks and u will see a lot of difference in your skin. and now im currently in the search for the best treatment to treat acne scars !

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Luvxsweets

I have really terrible seasonal acne. My skin is fine throughout the rest of the year, but ever since last year once the weather gets warmer, my skin immediately freaks out. I also have really bad seasonal allergies so I'm assuming my skin going crazy is a reaction to the weather.

Regardless, when it happened for the first time last year I was terrified. I had already started getting more than a couple pimples at a time and they took longer to heal which was unusual for my skin. As the weather got warmer it progressively got worse and worse. Then I woke up one day to thousands of tiny tiny flesh coloured bumps EVERYWHERE! This was in combination to the already occurring acne. It was atrocious, like I had some type of skin disease! For the first time in my life I didn't want to leave my house because of my skin.I went to the dermatologist soon after.

The dermatologist barley looked at my skin. (the whole appointment lasted less than five minutes!) She said it would seem I had some allergic reaction. Before that however she said my skin wasn't eve bad (O_o?!) and that I didn't have much to worry about. She tried to prescribe my benzoyl peroxide but I had a bad experience with that in the past so I declined. She then moved on to generic treatment number two : Retin A gel. She wrote me a prescription, gave me some samples, and walked me off in a rather routinely, automatic motion.

I started with 0.01%; used that for 6 weeks and it did nothing but break me out. I used it exactly as instructed; only in the night. In the morning I used a cleanser (spectro), moisturizer (cetaphil) , and a sunscreen (first neutrogina spf 70 then la roche posayspf 60) all prescribed by her. The tiny bumps remained as well as the acne. I also started to get white heads everywhere and bigger bumps. I never experienced flaking. I went back to her after and she gave me a stronger dosage.

She gave me 0.05%. Again I used it exactly as instructed. Again I saw no improvement and it made my already oily skin even more oily! I also still never experienced flaking. I used this for about 10 weeks. I took little "skin vlogs" to track my progress-or lack there of-with retin A. Near the end I stopped wearing sunscreen and my face cleared up significantly but was still bad. After doing more research on retin a and the harmful effects I opted to search for something more natural and stopped using it. Again my skin cleared up.

The worst thing about my whole retin A experience was how sensitive it made my skin. Even now a year later my skin is very sensitive and reacts with a lot of different products. My skin was NEVER this way before Retin A. I could use WHATEVER on my skin, treat it anyhow, use any type of cheap makeup, and I never had a problem. Also retin A has left me with multiple dark spots all over my face which still have not healed. (this was another reason a decided to stop using it. I figured why continue to use it even if it might get rid of my acne when I'll be left with all these spots).

I realize this "seems" to work for a lot of people but it DOESN'T work for everyone. Furthermore consider the side effects such as dark spots and sensitive skin before you attempt to try it. Personally I wouldn't recommend retin A because in the long run its not good for your skin. It doesn't treat the acne or stop if from occurring, it simply encourages the regeneration of skin cells so your skin can continue to produce new skin. This will make you dependent on the product and who wants to have to apply a gel this way for the rest of you life. Also, forcing you skin to renew itself and rapidly shed and create new layers of skin damages the skin overtime. The skin wasn't made to turn over this quickly.

I know this was a long review but I wanted to make sure it was very detailed because these types of reviews have helped me the most :)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by blondebum

I decided to try Retin-A after every other skin care product and ingredient failed for me. My dermatologist wrote my a prescription after he saw how my acne was relentlessly coming back after every treatment in the book. After using this for 4 months i have noticed such a dramatic difference in the size of my pores, redness reduction, and amount of pimples.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by yellow2825

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The ultimate in anti-aging products. I'm 55 now and have been using it for acne since I was 40. I'm grateful that in all those years, insurance has covered the cost.

Although, it doesn't happen overnight (weeks or months, even, and it gets way worse before it gets better), it definitely clears up the acne and keeps it away. I couldn't believe what oozed out of my skin. Knowing it had lurked underneath for years, helped me understand the time it took for all that gunk to surface. It's worth the wait - see picture.

Using Retin A is a balancing act. I can use it on parts of my face (T-zone: nose, forehead, chin) nearly every day of the week. That varies with the temps and moisture in the air. Dry air - use less often. The rest of my face can handle it every 2-3 days. Too often and your skin will hurt (and peel). An alcohol free toner helps dissolve the flakes (alcohol stings). Active ingredients in other products you use on your face can irritate Retin A treated skin. I added a corrector for stubborn spots and schedule it around the Retin A to avoid tenderness.

It's also important to use Retin A on the neck and decolletage - no red, splotchy neck and chest to go with your bright, glowing face.

I can't imagine using Retin A without good moisturizers - day and night. Retin A slows down wrinkling and ruddiness although I still have both - just far less than I would have had without it. Although it's the HG of anti-aging products, it's not magic, after all.

All that newly uncovered, virgin skin needs a high SPF sunscreen. It's essential. If you're not going to commit to sunscreen, every day, don't use Retin A.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by SanguineSoda

I started using Retin A for mild-moderate acne; I'd tried oral doxycycline, topical clindamycin, and most of the cleansers, toners, and treatments available at the drug store. My acne was never terrible, but it was embarrassing to be a grown adult with a teenager's face.

I started using Retin A in January 2013, and now my face is smooth and almost pimple-free. I still get one now and then, but nothing like it was before, and the texture of my skin is much finer.

My experience was that for the first two weeks of using Retin A every other day, my skin would get red and irritated - if it got bad, I would apply extra moisturizer (bag balm, actually) at night and skip a day of Retin A. After three weeks my face started peeling and flaking, almost like facial dandruff. Once again, I moisturized like crazy and would skip a day of Retin A if my face peeled excessively.

At one and a half months I started purging - a LOT of acne, worse than I'd ever had before, and a lot more painful and prominent at that. This lasted for about a month. I was hoping it would be short lived, but it was not to be - if this is you, soldier on! The results are worth it.

What finally helped usher out the terrible acne stage was changing my cleansing regimen. Basically.... I stopped using products. Any products. I wash my face with only water, and apply clindamycin gel at night, and sunscreen in the morning, and that is it. Now that my skin is so much thinner, it's a lot more sensitive to chemical/mechanical irritants. I also stopped exfoliating, which I have done every day for about ten years (facial brush/clarisonic/muslin cloth/silicone scrublet/aspirin mask/oatmeal mask etc). Now that I've given up traumatizing my skin, things are looking a lot better. I also don't need moisturizer now that my skin is used to Retin A, and I'm not stripping it down twice daily.

I should also point out that I'm using the cream version, because that's what was given to me by my doctor. I have had no problems with the cream actually causing more congestion (as opposed to the gel version), although I was tempted to blame the cream formulation when my purging dragged on for eternity.

TL;DR: works great for acne that hasn't responded to anything else. Redness and peeling? Take a break and moisturize. If you're in your purging stage, try simplifying your skin care regimen for sensitive skin. Enjoy transformed skin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 5:11:00 AM More reviews by AnnaTonio

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my dermatologist suggested retin a for me because I had been complaining about dull skin and wrinkles. I tried a small amount and it looked like it didnt do anything .. then next night a stupidely applied a lot and my skin became really really red and started to peel off. I freaked out but my dermatologist told me it is normal. So i had peeling for 2 weeks and after that i had the most beautiful skin ever and will use this product forever

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by jemmahughes

This is my first review and I will be updating as I go along.

I have battled with my skin for numerous years and finally have it under control with a combination of the oil cleansing method, clarisonic and apple cider vinegar along with the BC Yasmin. It's taken a good, long time to get to this point but now I'm here I'm still not 100% happy, and that's where Retin A came along.
Now my skin is clear I have noticed not only do I have scarring but I also have extensive skin damage. There are numerous reasons how I got to this point, sunbeds, no sunscreen, taking accutane and not wearing sunscreen and generally not realising the consequence's of the above. So, I researched, researched and researched and Retin A seemed my saviour and I dove in. I all actuality I dove in way too deep to begin with, I ordered 0.1% off eBay and applied a liberal pea sized amount all over and hoped for the best, the next night I did the same and the same after that..... That's when things got bad! I woke up and my face was RED like redder than the sun and pieces of my skin were peeling off and although I'd researched and knew this was a normal reaction I panicked and then things got worse, for the next two weeks my face was raw and peeling and no amount of moisturiser could help. The side of my lips cracked, my actual lips, the crevice on either side of my nose and they wouldn't heal. I went back to just OCM and tried to be as gentle and use only natural products on my face and things got better, it took time but they got better.
But, what can I say other than I must be a glutton for punishment as the Retin A has lured me back and I'm ready to try again. This time I am going to edge my way in and use it only once a week, I have chosen Tuesday as my lathering up day and I took the plunge last night. I used half a pea sized amount all over my skin after OCM & ACV (I left at least an hour between applications) and today my skin feels tight but not uncomfortable so I'm hopeful that this may work for me and that over time it will, I realise it will be over many months and maybe even years but hopefully it will fade my sun damage, I'm only 27 so don't want old lady skin before my time just because my dermatologist was too lazy to really lay down the long term affects of the sun.