September 18, 2014 | 1393 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Akaia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My all-time favorite mascara! it does it all. If I could afford it, I would buy it every month, which is the need for this one because it dries out easily. It does flake, too. But it is still the only one that I have found that has a dramatic effect on my lashes. It tends to clump, but along with that, it adds thickness you have never seen before!!! run into sephora to see if they have a sample bc it is well worth it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: ok this stuff really dried up in only a month and got super flaky and clumpy. I should have figured given how dry it was to begin with. Still, I'm disappointed.

Original review: This mascara gives the exact results I am looking for. Full lashes with the feathery look of of real hair, as opposed to the super defined look that sticks your lashes together. Its similar to my drugstore fave, L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, but its not as heavy, holds a curl better and gives a bit of length in addition to the volume. Its a very dry formula and the biggest downside is that it is prone to flaking, especially if you start touching the lashes. It also doesn't make the lashes super stiff like some formulas do (all of Maybelline's volumizing formulas except for Full n Soft). The trick to using it is to use a light hand and build up coats gradually. I find that one coat give a good amount of volume for a little enhancement and a second coat gives that touch of drama. If you use a heavy hand it will clump up. I've found that if I have put it on correctly, it looks more like false lashes rather than lashes obviously coated in mascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by juculin

After all the great things I had heard, I could not wait to try this mascara and really wanted to like it for the price I paid for it. I used it for a while (again mostly because of how expensive it was) but again couldn't really justify to myself using a mascara I disliked this much. It clumps like crazy even when wiping the brush and in the end I get it all over my lids trying to separate my lashes. Honestly one of the worst mascaras I've tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by vanichic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've bought this mascara last week but i think i'll never do another time.I've used for two years ysl false lashes but i've decided to try something new:bad idea! I love the color 'cause it's really extra balck but it makes my lashes clumpy and sticky .I can't understand if the problem it's the applicator or the formula.I'll go try with an ysl clean applicator.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 3:14:00 PM More reviews by PinkLipsEve

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smoky Lash is quite frankly the best mascara I've used for thickening and lengthening my lashes. People actually think they're falsies! Yes it's expensive but in my experience and opinion, sooo worth it. My ONLY issue is as others have stated here, is that it does dry out fairly quickly. I resolved that problem by using a bit of mixing medium by MAC on my lashes before applying. Adding a bit of heat (blow dryer to the closed mascara) to the product works as well. All in all, it works for me and I will continue to repurchase. Maybe I'll try some of their other color mascaras next.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by woahitsbrooke92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love trying new mascaras, and I had been wanting to try this one for a while. I was able to get a mini size in a swap. Thank goodness it was in a swap. I would've been mad if I had to pay full price for this mascara. There's really no lengthening, volumizing, and the color is hardly very black. It really does not work for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Seannah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really do enjoy this mascara. It lengthens and volumizes my lashes and makes them really nice and black without looking glossy. Sadly this mascara does not last in the tube. It dries out fairly quickly and it loses the effect it originally had when fresh and becomes quite clumpy. It is an amazing mascara but I am just not willing to buy it more often than other mascaras to get the desired effect especially with the steep price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2012 9:50:00 PM More reviews by littlemissdaisies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

HG mascara right here. Definitely worth all the hype. Gives me amazingly full voluminous lashes. Just one coat of this transforms my entire face. It makes my eyes pop and look so awake and pretty. It can get clumpy if you apply too much of it so definitely not the best mascara to layer. This mascara is definitely better than any other mascara I've ever tried in terms of giving length, volume and making my lashes look so full and black. LOVE IT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by sugamonkey

I have short, straight light-medium thickness Asian lashes. I give this a 3.5 and a maybe for repurchase.
Pros: rich black color; volumizes with very little clumping; doesn't smudge.
Cons: little to no lengthening-which makes lashes thick and dark but stubby looking; lashes are stiff and crunchy.

I see myself alternating between Smoky Lash and MAC Haute and Naughty (clumpier but adds length also).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

As far as mascaras go I'm quite picky. I want something that isn't too heavy or too wet. I want good volume and separation and maybe a little bit of length and curl. And most importantly it can't clump or smudge. Lots of requirements...and this fills most of them. The formula is drier than most, which is nice because I get absolutely no clumps. The brush is amazing because it really separates my lashes, but it doesn't look "spidery". It builds my lashes up for that really full and voluminous look. It is too big to get to the bottom lashes, but that's not a con for me at all. And the color is amazing. The perfect inky black and *not* glossy and shiny like most of my others. I like that it looks like I'm not really wearing mascara, just that my lashes are naturally fabulous.

The only downside is that I can tell already that this is going to dry up incredibly fast. Luckily I only have the small sample size (actually, I have two!), so hopefully I'll get to use the whole tube of this before it needs tossed. I honestly think MUFE should sell this in the sample size for like $10. The full-size is just too big for how quickly this dries up. But overall I really like this and I certainly would purchase a mini size--but I wouldn't shell out $22 for a mascara that would be unusable within a month.