Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

3.7

on 7/27/2012 12:51:00 AM

This seems to go on well (nice brush) and makes lashes look great. My complaint is that it flakes (I have many, many black marks around my eye around the day) and it seems to somehow flake into my eyes, making them hurt (it is now about 3 hours after I have removed it, and I still have pain/burning in my eyes from whatever flaked into them). No, it is not due to something else since the only thing that has varied in my routine is adding the MUFE Smoky Lash Mascara, which I just got at Sephora as a reward for my 500 points. A loser for me, sadly. My favorite is still L'Oreal Beauty Tubes Mascara (and a lot cheaper).

on 7/16/2012 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this as a freebie with a purchase from Sephora and I have to say, it's one of the very best I have tried. I have long, thin lashes and I love this because it thickens, darkens, and volumizes. I have a hard time finding mascaras that don't make my lashes look spidery. This gives my lashes a more dramatic look but still feathery. It stays on well, too. I gave it a 4 because it is so pricey. Given that you have to switch mascaras out every 3-4 months I just don't spend much on them. Otherwise a great mascara.

on 6/22/2012 6:46:00 PM

I personally find this better than the Dior mascaras. I wouldn't repurchase because I don't really wear mascara. I find that after awhile my eyelashes start thinning and falling out. This makes my lashes nice and thick without clumping.

on 6/12/2012 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this mascara because the sephora girl recommended it since I like a dramatic mascara but also have sensitive eyes. This mascara really does thicken lashes very well, but doesn't do anything to lengthen, which is good for me but I dont think most people will care for that. If you have long lashes this is great, but probably not so much for short lashes.
I have really irritatable, allergy induced watery eyes, and I haven't had any smudging from that, and the one time I got it in my eye it didnt burn or itch at all.
I like this, I will repurchase until I get bored and want to try something else, but even then I can see myself going back to this

on 5/23/2012 4:50:00 PM

Pros:
-Easy to remove since it removes itself throughout the day

Cons:
-Dry and hard to apply
-Goes on Clumpy
-Flakes off eyelashes after an hour
-Adds volume in clumps but no length
-Leaves Raccoon circles under eyes
-Does not hold a curl
-Expensive

One of the WORST mascaras i have ever tried! I am returning this to Sephora over the weekend. Very dissapointed!

on 5/22/2012 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

*I have thin lashes that stick out straight/go down, but they are pretty long and more full than not*
WELL- I have mixed feelings about this mascara....
I tried this at Sephora with one of those disposable wands and LOVED it SO much... My lashes looked so amazing, yet still natural....
I brought it home and played around with it for a few months, and discovered the following:
1) It created none-very slight length, though it added tremendous volume to my lashes. However, because the volume-length ratio was about 4:1, my lashes looked kind of weird
2) If I waited a long time in between coats of applying this, my lashes would clump together in thick chunks
3) Blinking my eyelids/ applying the mascara wand to the tips to add length did NOT work 80-90% of the time, and my eyelashes would get stuck together
4) It was pretty difficult to remove- not impossible, but definitely needed a lot of makeup remover
5) I am pretty sure this flaked throughout the day... Not serious flakage, but very noticeable
6) Did not hold a curl. At all. Didn't droop my eyelashes so they stuck straight out, but they were barely lifted- and this was after curling my lashes beautifully
7) A whole lot of excess product was on the wand when I took it out from the tube. I think this mascara was intentionally manufactured like this, but it was super annoying and loads better when I wiped it off on the lips of the tube.
Overall- Lots and lots of volume, very rich black color, but it did not work exceptionally well with my lashes. I suggest this to people with naturally curled lashes that are kinda sparse...
Because of the price, I would not buy this again. But I suggest that people go to Sephora and try it for themselves- they can always return/ exchange it if they are not satisfied:)

on 5/17/2012 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Kind of expensive, but I really like the dry formula and the way that it makes my lashes look. It doesn't clump and it looks great. Will probably repurchase if I make a little money! Haha.

on 4/5/2012 5:16:00 PM

This mascara gives me very natural looking amped up lashes. Mine are typically short, straight and sparse. This gave a very natural fluttery look to them, with some length and some volume but it did weigh them down a bit, resulting in a slight loss of curl. A positive is that I can wear this despite it not being a waterproof formula, which is usually what I have to resort to keep from getting raccoon eyes and hold a curl.

I did not see any signs of smudging until the 9th hour, but only on my lower lashes. There was no flaking and this did not irritate my eyes at all. The brush is a tad large for my short lashes, and requires some skillfull application otherwise I risk ruining my eyeshadow. Overall, a good everyday mascara, but by no means dramatic nor extra dark.

on 4/3/2012 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My all-time favorite mascara! it does it all. If I could afford it, I would buy it every month, which is the need for this one because it dries out easily. It does flake, too. But it is still the only one that I have found that has a dramatic effect on my lashes. It tends to clump, but along with that, it adds thickness you have never seen before!!! run into sephora to see if they have a sample bc it is well worth it!

on 4/3/2012 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

EDIT: ok this stuff really dried up in only a month and got super flaky and clumpy. I should have figured given how dry it was to begin with. Still, I'm disappointed.

Original review: This mascara gives the exact results I am looking for. Full lashes with the feathery look of of real hair, as opposed to the super defined look that sticks your lashes together. Its similar to my drugstore fave, L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, but its not as heavy, holds a curl better and gives a bit of length in addition to the volume. Its a very dry formula and the biggest downside is that it is prone to flaking, especially if you start touching the lashes. It also doesn't make the lashes super stiff like some formulas do (all of Maybelline's volumizing formulas except for Full n Soft). The trick to using it is to use a light hand and build up coats gradually. I find that one coat give a good amount of volume for a little enhancement and a second coat gives that touch of drama. If you use a heavy hand it will clump up. I've found that if I have put it on correctly, it looks more like false lashes rather than lashes obviously coated in mascara.