April 24, 2014 | 1382 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2010 5:01:00 PM More reviews by aprila220

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have never tried this perfume myself and never will. I am writing because I cannot put into words how obscene the smell of this is. I am a dental assistant and had a patient the other day who was wearing this. It is the worst smelling perfume. EVER. I asked her what she was wearing so I'd know to never ever go near it again. I actually think she thought I was asking as a compliment but I tried to not for it to seem that way without being rude. The dentist and I double masked it was so offensive. We did a 1.5 hour procedure on her and by the time we were done, I was literally sick to my stomach and we both had headaches. The smell lingered in the office the whole day, we even had to open a window for a few minutes. I'm sure it wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't had so much on, but it's still not a very pleasant smell IMO.

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2010 7:44:00 AM More reviews by FACEON

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried to like Youth Dew but always detect a very strong amonia smell in it!. This perfume would probably suit a lady of 'very' mature years... but younger women who want to smell fresh and sexy should steer WELL clear of this perfume ......

Update -

A lady of a certain age (more mature) walked passed me yesterday wearing this and she smelled absolutely beautiful..... I asked what she was wearing and her reply was Youth Dew !!!

This is obviously one of those perfumes that smells brilliant on the right person.......

They could do with relaunching it (with some trendy advertising) as Im begining to think that this classic perfume doesnt deserve the 'dated' negative reviews that we give it ........

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by katrosado5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had to select that I wouldn't be purchasing this fragrance again. I had a bottle many years ago.
This fragrance is an epic aldehyde. I adore aldehyde's. Worship them practically however this one isn't for me. Just because it isn't for my chemisty doesn't mean it isn't a lovely fragrance and on the right person it's amazing.
As for the aldehyde in this fragrance (one of your opening notes) I liken it to the following:
1. The aldehyde in Chanel No. 5 is like a snap close to your ears-soft but an immediate "pay attention-here it comes".
2. The aldehyde in Fendi (now disc.) was a sharp clap of the hands, a definate command for attention.
3. The aldehyde in Youth Dew is cannon shot over your head at close range. You can't miss it. LOL.
I love the fragrance, it just doesn't love me unfortuantely.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 8:11:00 PM More reviews by sartecona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I read Estee Lauder's autobio many years ago--its now out of print--and she said the fragrance was really created with men in mind. She would wear it in public while still developing the formula and from cab drivers to CEOs they all loved it. The Duke of Windsor, a friend of hers, always wanted the Duchess to wear Youth Dew

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by bhindhazeleyez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This fragrance has sentimental value to me. It is my mother's favorite fragrance. She is not one to overdo the perfume and it smells lovely on her. Every time I smell it, I think of her. But, this is not a fragrance I would choose for myself.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2010 9:47:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Youth Dew is THE classic Estee Lauder fragrance. Love it or hate it, it is the one which put Estee Lauder fragrance on the map! It's a nice floriental with what we've come to know as the typical Estee Lauder accord. This was always on my mother's dresser and I thought smelled nice on her. Mind you, my mother is not the type to overdo it--just a spritz or two was all she used. I echo that not overspraying and/or overlayering (with the host of great bath and body products available) is critical with this one. Either the powder or the edp--not both--if you are going to get the beautiful, delicate effect. The price for the quality is awesome, but poor little Youth Dew's packaging could stand a makeover. I read there was at one time a cute 50's retro bottle but haven't been able to locate one for my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by LuckyTiger44

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Teeny squirts of this is best. Used this starting in high school in the '60's...and, yes, it is that old. Love the scent, but you really have to be careful how much you put on. This is definitely not a scent you can wear in hot weather, but works so well in cold winter weather. Sexy smell...very musty and all that.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by ymantra

Tried this at the mall after reading the other reviews. This is very strong and should be used sparingly or it will give you a headache. This reminds me a lot of Chanel No.5, I admire it but can't wear it. It's a grown up scent.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/20/2009 2:44:00 AM More reviews by melbell1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

When ladies wanted me to spray this for them at the counter I would hold my breath! It is so strong and stinks really bad.I noticed a more mature women like this fragrance.Its the first EL fragrance bit definitely the worst.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was given this as a gift when i turned 30... eek!

All these years later, and I still love this fragrance. I do admit that sometimes when I find it too strong (something which many claim as the reason they hate it), I will spritz it on and take my shower afterwards.. the fragrance just looms and lingers on me and all over me.

My husband loves it and I am so used to the scent that I would not feel ME without it. I am not saying that I have not strayed and used other fragrances.. I do and will continue to do so. Fragrance is one of the many pleasures of life.
But this one is my favorite feminine scent and I will continue to buy it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No