April 20, 2014 | 1893 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 eyeshadow palette

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 4:33:00 PM More reviews by xleahcarx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have had this palette since July 2010 and only hit pan on 3 colors. I used this palette a lot the first month I had it and rarely since. It's a good palette to have but, I have other palettes I love more. Some of the colors are a bit chalky but, still good. I find with certian colors my eyes water a bit.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2011 5:21:00 PM More reviews by jasminese

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

As I clicked the "Would you buy this product again?" question, I was wondering... COULD I buy this again? There's so much product, i can't imagine finishing it!

This is a really good palette for travelling, performances, newbie makeup artists or... well just about anyone! (Except for those makeup snobs) I adore some of these colors, like this certain raspberry-pruple-brown, and this perfect taupe. There are other colors I don't reach for as often, like the reds or greens. But those colors are extremely pigmented! I really enjoy this palette because it's perfect for travelling, however I hate using this at home! I wish they just sold the individual colors by themselves! I'd def buy the colors I like, and then take this palette on the road with me! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by EmeraldEllie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally got mine in the mail today from the 30% off sale! It's bigger than I expected, it's about the size of a really thin netbook or something. It's also more sleek and sophisticated-looking than I expected.

Now onto the product itself. For what it's supposed to be, it's perfect. The palette of 88 colors is only $20 (or less if it's on sale), so you really shouldn't be expecting super amazing high-quality eyeshadows that last for 8 hours without creasing with no primer and are perfectly blendable or something amazing like that. However, it allows you to have a lot of different eyeshadow shades without paying a ton of money. I'm a sorority girl and I go to a lot of theme parties, and it's nice to have cheap eyeshadow that may not necessarily be amazing but will match my outfit. The eyeshadows definitely aren't bad by any means, I've certainly had much worse. They're just not as good as a high-end brand, which I wasn't expecting them to be.

Plus, it can also help you see what colors would be worth investing in a good brand/bigger-size product if you use that color a lot more than the others.

I probably won't have to buy again for a very long time, but if I do somehow use this up, I would certainly buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2011 3:04:00 AM More reviews by hersupernature

I'm surprised to see such mixed reviews on this product.
Pigmentation - Many are very comparable to MAC, especially the darker and brighter shades. Those type of colors in particular tend to "stain" a little , which can be good or bad depending on your opinion.
Some colors can be a little chalky but proper blending and use of a primer can help that.
The size of the eyeshadows is about the size of a nickel or dime - plenty in my opinion, as I've never used up an entire shadow of any color or kind.
Packaging is pretty good - it's matte, somewhat thick plastic. The mirror is small and a little useless (the palette is hard to hold up and use due to its size) as are the applicators, but Coastal Scents makes great cheap brushes.
Bottom line: Unless you have an entire collection of MAC shadows or only use neutrals, pass on this. If you want great color payoff and tons of great colors without spending hundreds of dollars, get this - just be sure to use a primer or concealer underneath.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 3:09:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE!!!!

since i've gotten this (a couple years ago, on ebay for $20-ish), i've found that i really dont "need" to buy too many other shadows. when i'm lookin at them at the store unless its a really unique color i just think "nah, i've got only almost just like this in the 88 pallet"
the colors are VERY pigmented, and go very well together. they're really bright, but still wearable.
and the best part, IMO, is that the browns make PERFECT brow colors! i just use a wet angled brush and theres a reddish brown color that is PERFECT for matching my red hair!
and really, this thing is lasting FOREVER! Easily 1 of the best MU purchases i've ever made! and when you think that at $25, thats about 28 cents per shadow, very reasonable priced!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2011 5:01:00 PM More reviews by claudie17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

scored a great deal with the current promo. order was processed quickly and package was received 3 days after placing order. vast color variety and colors look vibrant from swatch. awesome deal in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2011 8:53:00 AM More reviews by calamityjane85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I generally love this palette. There are some colors in it that I can live without and with some the quality is well lacking. However I use this at least twice a week just because the color range is wonderful. I like to change my makeup everyday and this allows me to do so without breaking the bank. There is some fallout so I use a good packing es brush, but really its the same way with my toofaced es.... so it doesn't bother me to much. I enjoy using it and would recommend it to anyone starting out their makeup collection and doesn't want to spend oodles of money on buying several different palettes, just get this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2011 11:45:00 AM More reviews by NeenaBreena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love the range of colours you get in this!
It's great for beginners, you get a whole lot of different colours to play with and figure out what works for you before you go out and buy individuals.
I did notice that the colours flake once they have been used for the first time, the powder seems to "unset" and get everywhere :(
I use the browns as eyeliner on my lids, I like that I can change the darkness of the liner without having to buy a whole lot of different pencils.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 10:43:00 PM More reviews by NyVirgo1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So yes, not very good quality. We have to admit that. The pigment is not so dense and it blends about as well as crayolas...but if you buy this you are not expecting urban decay or nars quality.

For what it is this palette is perfect. It is a playful palette for experimenting with color and trying new looks. I played arou d with the greens and then went out and bought a few nars and ester lauder green hues.

My only issue with the packaging is that it is a little hard t open...but I am an idiot so maybe that is really a personality flaw on my part. Lol

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2011 9:35:00 AM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I own both the original and shimmer 88 palettes and, though they may look alike at first glance, they are quite different from one another.

First, the shimmer palette: What I like about this palette is that the colours really do shimmer beautifully, without being glittery or inappropriate for daytime wear. I don't find these colours to be nearly as pigmented as their matte counterparts, so I tend to apply the matte version of a colour first (from my original palette) and then layer the shimmer colour overtop. I get the best payoff this way. I also find that there is more fallout from this palette than the original.

In terms of the original palette, I find the colours to be more pigmented, though this varies considerably. There is less fallout in the original palette, in my opinion, though some colours do seem to have this problem more than others.

Both palettes have issues with chalky and unblendable colours (particularly the lighter shades), but both palette have some beautiful shadows, too. I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a lot of consistency - some are great, some are crap! Regardless of the palette I use, I ALWAYS apply a primer first - this helps with the less pigmented colours, and also increases the staying power by a significant amount. These colours can also be applied wet, which I recommend for less pigmented shades or for a foiled effect.

I DON'T recommend using a brush with white hair on this palette - my MAC 239 brush was used to apply a hot pink shade from the original palette and no amount of deep cleansing will get the stains off. BOO! (The lighter shades probably won't have this problem.)

Finally, I seemed to have scored with some decent quality packaging - I haven't had any shadows come loose. I've travelled considerably with both (30 hour plane trips, across the Pacific with several stopovers) and they haven't sustained any damage. I'm impressed! However, these are not at all practical for daily travel in a handbag - you have to hope that colours won't require touch-ups while you're out!

Overall, these palettes are fun to play with and I've achieved some very cool looks with them. I bought them because I wanted more COLOUR in my life, but wasn't sure which ones I would use the most. To this end, these are fabulous. And, let's face it, the price is right!

I'm not likely to repurchase, and will probably replace the shades I use most with the MAC counterparts, which are more consistent and contain less potentially harmful ingredients. But, you know, I would probably purchase this to give as a gift to a makeup newbie or someone who is keen to experiment. So, who knows?!