April 21, 2014 | 947 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2009 8:05:00 AM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The heavy coverage formula covers and it stays put. I am not as jazzed as some about the custom mixing because I find it inconvenient but the payoff is worth it. This stuff is cheap!!!!. SN containers could be improved and are easy to break. Overall I don't have luck with powder foundations so I am not planning to purchase this again but I answered yes because I would purchase this particular brand if this was the right type of product for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2009 1:04:00 AM More reviews by pinknika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my goodness!!! Is this foundation amazing or what?? I love this stuff! I am so happy I found this! I have to say that I have tried a lot of mineral foundation, this is the only one that you can actually blend and make true to your color. I get the buttery gold and the medium coverage foundation and also the glow foundation. I mix 3 scoops of the medium and 3 scoops of the glow and 1 scoop of the gold and there you have a match for my skin tone! I usually only mix a small amount because I am either tanning or not sometimes so I usually make a new batch every couple weeks or so. I love the coverage, I love the color and trust me guys this is sooo easy! There are also different coverages available, the original the medium and the heavy and also different pigments to choose from and the price? Amazing! The kit is super inexpensive and the refills are too! The owner is also super friendly and I love e-mailing her and asking questions because she is really nice and is happy to assist. My great HG mineral foundation!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2009 1:58:00 AM More reviews by fifilo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Tried Silk Naturals after I got tired of ordering samples & full size foundation from Everyday Minerals and still not getting the right colour for myself.

I got the sample set which consist of all the different colour bases: buttery gold, warm gold, ebony and olive plus the original ivory base, 1 tiny scoop and 1 sifter jar. Also ordered an extra original ivory sample.

From the SN forum, one of the recipes suitable for my NC30 skintone is warm gold 1:6. Near perfect! I like the idea of adjusting your fdn whenever you need. Samples were generous, definitely at least 1 week's supply.

The coverage for Original is buildable and it manages to control the oiliness for awhile. Definitely much longer than my Everyday Minerals foundation.

My only minor gripe is that no matter how i shake the container, there is still some tiny flecks of ivory not mixed in entirely.

I will definitely order the large foundation kit once I am done with playing around with different recipes.

PS: I love their Halo glow and tart blush too!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 11:10:00 PM More reviews by darkhairedcogirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Like many others, I was using Everyday Minerals' foundation, then made the switch to Silk Naturals because I didn't feel like I ever found a good match with them. I found a match easily after posting on the SN forum. I really don't mind the mixing, and I love the idea that I don't have to buy an all new foundation when I get or lose a tan. I also feel this foundation holds up on my crazy oily T-zone better than EDM. It's got a great finish and the Original is enough coverage for me, without looking fake. The Medium just looked like I was wearing a lot of foundation- not a look I go for. And it doesn't break out my sensitive, acne-prone skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 12:07:00 AM More reviews by scridsrolls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Quick Overview: I've been using mineral makeup for about five years now; started out using Bare Escentuals and then switched to Every Day Minerals...which I truly loved. But I'd heard a lot about Silk Naturals, and EDM did away with the old free sample program they used to have which made me mad, so I switched...

Packaging: I ordered the Warm Gold kit in Medium coverage. I also threw in a sample of Ebony (peach/pink tone) to mix with the gold color. A little tulle bag arrived with a small pouch of pure white powder, and even smaller baggies of the colors. The kit also comes with a smidgen of perfecting powder to try, an empty container with a sifter, and a tiny, tiny little scoop for measuring. Plus instructions. The pouches seemed small to me, like there really wasn't $12 worth of foundation to be had. Overall...not impressed, but it's the makeup that counts. So I continued on. :o)

Mixing Process: I'd never mixed my own fdn before, so it was an interesting experiment. I got it mostly right on my first try, after being very skeptical about reading other reviews of ladies who'd said the same thing. I thought, "first try, yeah right, can't be that easy." But I guess I got lucky. I adjusted it slightly afterwards. I think mineral makeup is very flexible and the color doesn't have to be exactly perfect for it to still look good. It was almost comical using the minuscule little scoop they included, and when I mixed up the amount the instructions suggested, the sifter container wasn't even a third full. TAKE NOTE: As other reviewers have mentioned, this foundation really does appear lighter in powder form than it will on your face. It DOES DARKEN slightly after 5-10 mins or so; not oxidize or turn orange, but just blends with the oils in your skin and darkens a bit.

Coverage/Application: I used my EDM flattop brush to apply the foundation. The fdn buffed on very smoothly. But it didn't seem finely milled to me; seemed somewhat grainy. The coverage was fair for a medium strength powder, but it didn't look like natural skin. Just seemed...powdery over my discolorations, freckles, and red areas. I've given this a solid week before reviewing it, and I still feel the same way about it. I have combo skin; slightly oily/acne-prone tzone, with normal to dry/flaky cheeks. It's very annoying. This does pretty well in oily areas, though it caked around my nose which tends to get oiliest. However, how it handled the dry areas of my face is what pushed this to an average rating for me. I exfoliate and moisturize thoroughly, but this fdn amplified every microscopic flake. It made my drier areas look painfully dry, and caked up around my greasiest areas. It didn't look "natural," it just looked like make-up.

Longevity: This lasted a good while, it didn't fade away except in oily areas after blotting several times throughout the day. Didn't get any darker or anything like that as the day wore on.

Overall, this fdn seems to work well for most folks, but it didn't give me the "flawless skin" look I was going for. It was just too powdery...maybe not finely milled enough, or just not suited to folks with dry skin. Sigh!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2009 3:46:00 AM More reviews by TaffyCheeks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this foundation! I usually have difficulty getting my perfect shade buying MMU online, but I was able to find my perfect mix with Buttery Gold. I love how I can adjust it as I tan/lighten with the seasons.

Mixing the foundation was a breeze, and they give enough Ivory and pigment to last quite a while. The foundation itself is very fine, much like a dust. I use the medium formulation, and it covers my acne scarring decently well on its own, and better with some lavender concealer underneath. I have dehydrated skin, and this didn't bring out any flakes. My skin also gets really oily as the day goes on, but I found that SN helped to control oil better than EDM or Meow. I don't look or feel like I'm wearing anything on my face with SN - it's impossibly light. I'd definitely recommend and repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 9:44:00 PM More reviews by MissPeony

Silk Naturals is my favorite mineral foundation hands down! I love that I can mix the colors to create my perfect shade. Shipping is inexpensive and I always receive my products promptly. It's a great year round foundation because it doesn't accentuate flaws in my skin texture and always gives a smooth and creamy finish. I do recommend trying out your foundation color in good lighting to ensure you are not too dark/light. I do need to touch up during the day, like with all mineral foundations, but I find that Silk Natural does a decent job in concealing my oiliness. I will continue to repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2009 7:17:00 AM More reviews by imin2mnf

I've tried the PERFECT HARMONY samples from SN a year ago. I decided to give SN another shot when I see such wonderful reviews from MakeAlley product reviews.
SN have more base colors available now, and they also add in 2 more ivory formula. Their samples is pretty cheap and they do give quite generous amount for the price.
Like many asian, I have a somewhat in between undertone.
I think I found my perfect match with the Medium Coverage Ivory. I mix the ivory with Buttery Gold as my base clor. I find that when I add in the PEACH base color and YELLOW BOOSTER, there's my perfect match. I also love their TINTED OIL CONTROL PRIMER.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by jandi

This foundation is a bit difference: you mix it your self using a white (ivory) base, and a darker shade with the appropriate undertones.

Silk Naturals is one of my favorite foundations so far. The original formula offers light to medium coverage, which can be increased by applying wet. It feels super light, as if not wearing anything. It stays put all day long, and actually helps with oil control. This is one of the few foundations I can wear that do not cake or melt off as the day goes by. I have yet to try the medium and heavy coverage versions, I do need a bit more coverage. Mixing your own foundation color is actually kind of fun, but it is tough to find enough time with daylight to do it. If you are in doubt about your undertones, make sure to get samples of all bases and test them out. Having the samples available is really nice: if you are fair skinned, you need a tiny amount of the colored base compared to the white base. I seem to be happiest right now with a mix of olive and warm gold.

I'm also a big fan of the blushes, eye shadows and glosses: very wearable and easy to match shades for every day.

Oh, and shipping is super fast!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by swhandamari

The "medium" formula is my HG foundation. Most of the times i just use it without base or finishing powder. If I use sunblock or blemish balm cream underneath, it will last even longer than without. When i use other MMU like EDM or Meow, my dry skin looked chalky, but with SN this is not an issue. I don't know about oil control since i have dry skin. I don't have problems with mixing my own shade, I find it very versatile. I am south east asian, NC30/C30, use 1 Buttery Gold to 7 or 8 Ivory (Medium). Tried the "heavy" formula, it does cover my sun spots but seemed to emphasize my smiling lines. If i go out on special occasion, i dab on some silica powder as finishing, and it make the whole face seemed flawless (they sell it under the name "Blur Finishing Powder").