February 27, 2015 | 1057 users online

Toners - Green Tea Tea-Bag Toner

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by melinda_

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried using green tea on my face and it looked really good -- tightened my pores and made it look smooth. But, but, but...it gave me 2 boils.

Background: I don't have acne anymore (for many many years) but certain things can break me out if I use them on my skin (OCM or a very comedogenic ingredient). I also have sensitive skin, but not super sensitive. My skin is on the dry side.

After I put this on it didn't burn or anything but I never get burning on my skin anyway. But right away I noticed a red raised spot (within a few minutes of applying). I thought it was nothing.

I then slept with the green tea on and woke up to two more red, raised marks, but the one was the size of a dime! Horrors. I knew it was from the green tea. That was a day and a half ago and the boils are almost gone after stopping the green tea.

I know I'm not allergic to green tea because I drink it daily and have drunk it for years. But on my skin is a different matter. It does something to it. I didn't use it in conjunction with anything else and it's the only thing I changed. The fact that I got one immediately after applying it tells me it was a reaction to the GT. I'm disappointed because I really liked the idea of applying antioxidants directly to my skin, but it's a no-go for me.

The green tea was organic, btw.

So, I think people should use it briefly at first just in case they may get a reaction like I did and do not sleep with it on until you know it won't irritate you or cause boils. I shouldn't have used something new on my face while sleeping since it is like 8 hours and sleep is when your skin regenerates. I'll never apply this again. Like I said, I haven't had acne since 2004 and this took me right back to that pain, though I think they were allergic boils, they looked like monster cysts.

I will continue to drink it though.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 7:53:00 AM More reviews by gaelicas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This had been an skin saver for me. I suffer from cystic acne since I was 20 (now I am 43) and I have tried everything out there without success: salycilic acid, glycolic acid, mandaleic acid, aspirin mask, hydrogen peroxide, benzoil peroxide, tea tree oil, acv, oil cleansing method, lemmon juice... How could I have imagined that something so cheap and simple could made such a difference in my life. After reading the reviews here, I started applying the green tea as a toner (mixed with rose water) a couple of times a day. After feeling how my skin was calming down, I decided to drink a cup of green tea after lunch everyday. It took just one week to get rid of all my active cystic pimples. The results were so amazing that, after the first two weeks, I added another cup of tea at night. Today it's been a month since I started this "natural treatment" and I haven't had a single cyst, just a couple of small pimples at that time of the month, and they healed in one day. I don't know if the effect will last forever, but I will keep on using green tea as long as it works for me.

I have to comment that I've also gotten rid of all my products with SLS (face cleanser, shower gel and shampoo) and I stop using products with cones or oils. This is my beauty routine since I started using green tea:
- Face cleanser (morning and night): Orjene Organics, CoQ10 Olive Vitale, Foaming Face Wash.
- Toner (morning and night): DIY toner with 3 parts of organic green tea (prepared with two bags of tea in just 1 oz. of filtered water, brewed for 45 min) and 1 part of rose water & glycerin (from Heritage Products). I keep it in a blue spray bottle in the fridge, and I prepare a new batch every week to avoid bacterial contamination.
- Moisturizer (morning and night): Orjene Organics, CoQ10 Olive Vitale, Age Recovery Serum.
- Mask (once a week): Auromere, Rejuvenating Mud Bath & Mask.

The organic green tea I'm using is from Now Foods and I buy it on iHerb.com for just 3.54$ (box of 30 bags). On this on-line shop I also buy all the other products of my routine. If you use the code LOP266 at checkout, you can save 5$ on your first order.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by eshleic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have struggled for the last 4 years with breakouts but not anymore! My skin is getting better and better every morning I look in the mirror and I simply had to share!
Ladies, try it! it may not be any help when it is put on your face (it didn't do much for me) but drink a cup of it every morning (with a bit of lemon) and observe the wonders it does for your face and not to mention, your whole entire body! I cannot say how long it will be effective for you but it took me a week to see the result of it!
Also remember though to exercise and flush away all the toxins in your body - it'll speed up the process and it'll be good for you anyways(:
GOOD LUCK!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Shin786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

let me give you some background info on my skin- ive suffered from acne since i was 17 and the ONLY thing to have cleared it was Dianette, however it was not a long term solution as i gained a few hefty pounds whilst on it! My skin also stayed clear during pregnancy and breastfeeding but once i stopped the acne came his back! I took antibiotics which helped for 6 months ago but soon stopped working!! like life isnt full of problems already and to then deal with acne on top of that?! wheres the justice i say? out of sheer desperation i splased out on really expensive skin treatments, products, peels etc. I probably spent around a thousand pounds in total but without too much success. after having read some reviews on green tea i thought 'what the hell? i'll give this a shot too! along with zince supplements and acv. well after drinking green tea for over a month (mixed with manuka honey as its tastes rank otherwise) i can report its calmed my skin down! i have 2 active spots as im typing this but nothing major. also when i do breakout they aren't throbbing pus filled planets..they're smaller and heal quicker. im by no means cured and now i have a million scars to deal with but i'm not constantly staring into a handheld mirror and crying to myself all the while acting like a hermit who is afraid to scare the world and leave the house!! so hope this review helps guys and if anyone can give me some info on how to treat scars i'll be much obliged!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2011 4:46:00 AM More reviews by aeriekah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great find on MUA. I do have a problem with oiliness and this has reduced it. The fact is, tea is a drying agent. (side story: Dr. Oz recommended to his guest who has a bad feet odor problem to soak it in tea to dry it out, thus reducing sweat and odor)

So applying that same principal, it should reduce the production of oil, which it did in my case. I brew about 6-8oz of Green Tea, let it cool, and place it in a small cosmetic spray bottle. Every morning and night, after cleansing my face, I spray some onto a cotton ball and apply. I immediately feel my skin tightening and toned. Then I apply moisturizer.

For less than $2/20 bags its a great cheap alternative. I just want to caution people to change your supply frequently 1-2 days just to keep it from harvesting bacteria or growing mold. Some refrigerate it so It will keep longer but I dont because going to the fridge downstairs is just not party of my regiment lol.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2011 12:02:00 AM More reviews by ALstylist

I have found during the summer months this is the most beneficial for my skin. Brew Green Tea or Chamomile atleast 5 minutes or more for stronger mixture and keep in a little spritz bottle in the fridge. I use this as a refreshing mist after a workout or heat/sun exposure or can be used as a toner applied with cotton balls/pads after cleansing in the am/pm. Very refreshing and soothing for sensitivity and dryness.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/23/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by nitekid

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading so many positive experience with green tea-bag toner, I decided to try it. I brewed a pot of green tea and then chill it. I have tried messaging the green tea bag on to my face and also dabbing chilled green tea onto my face (Not at the same time though). My face felt really tight after using either method, and then it got really dry with white flaky patches on my cheek. I had a bit of flaky patches on my cheeks before trying the green tea toner but the condition gotten way worse after I tried it. All I can say is that what works for many may not work for everyone. Oh well, it was worth a try =D

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by summerseabreeze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love using all things natural. For an oily-skin gal like me using green tea as a toner helps a lot, more so in a year-round warm humid climate like where I live. I find areas of redness around my nose reduced after a swipe of this. I usually just use the tea bag neat as it is, careful not to let it drip onto clothes! if i travel i make a cup of green tea, let it cool and pour into a travel bottle. It stays good for at least 2 days. I also drink a cup of green tea every morning half an hour before breakfast. I find it works better on a empty stomach. Sometimes I might add some fresh lime juice or lemon if there is any lying around. Great stuff and oh-so cheap too!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by 2lygit

Double edged sword! Green tea (esp with lemon juice) aids digestion which is very good for skin and overall health. What I do is, first thing in the morning I'll cleanse my face, make some green tea and while I'm drinking it I'll rub the teabag (lol) all over my face, then moisturise. The tea toner is great, it reduces redness, makes my skin look more even and takes away the shiny look, instead it just looks nicely hydrated. There's no reason why everyone shouldn't be using this as a toner.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2011 3:23:00 PM More reviews by cheapglamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

ive found that green tea was more beneficial to my skin when i was drinking it, than it was when i was smoothing it onto my face.
when i drink green tea, my skin looks and feels healthier! when i pat it onto my skin... well, it didnt do anything bad... but it didnt do anything good either.
didnt improve my complexion. didnt improve my acne. it sort of just... sat there. it also made my skin feel tight (even with moisturizer), but it didnt tighten up my pores.
i saw no major benefits in my trial-run, so i wont continue to hassle myself with DIY green tea toners.
i think im just gonna stick to drinking my green tea.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No