Smashbox Bionic Mascara

2.6

on 12/22/2009 10:21:00 PM

Probably one of the worst mascaras ever created; bristles started clumping together after one month and formula became too thick to work with.... it really sucks.

on 11/29/2009 1:06:00 PM

A covergirl mascara may have been better than this one. This mascara clumped my lashes, had no volume, and dried up in a funky bad texture. ..Just a waste of moneey

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I was seconds away from impulse buying an entire Smashbox kit that included this product in the blue color when I had an epiphany at the Sephora register that I should maybe try it in my preferred "Jet Black" first. SO glad I did and wasn't saddled with a whole difficult-to-return gift set!

This mascara is a big disappointment. The ingredients seemed beneficial, the tube is sleek and I was initially excited about this purchase. But Bionic did literally nothing for me: no lengthening, no thickening, although really no major flaking nor smearing either. But why bother? I went out to a fancy dinner with a friend a few days after getting this and was actually self-conscious because I looked like I wasn't wearing mascara, despite having applied 2 coats of this.

The final straw came when I wore Bionic during an insanely busy day at work. Although I had combed through after applying and there were no visible clumps, this dried to a stiff consistency with the feel of stuck-together lashes, ew. I obsessively checked my eyes to see if I could fix the problem, but no - there was nothing visibly wrong, it just felt heavy and sort of crunchy on my eye. And ironically, my lashes still looked mascara-less. Despite the fact that I forgot to have lunch that day because things were so crazed, I STILL noticed - and was bothered by - Bionic.

I'm usually a big Smashbox fan but this is going back.

on 10/14/2009 9:45:00 AM

UGH, suckiest mascara ever. my ELF mascara works even better than this. it did NOTHING to my fine lashes. it did not create length nor volume. DO NOT GET THIS MASCARA. so not worth it!!

on 9/18/2009 6:34:00 PM

Not the best mascara I've ever tried, but it's not bad. It doesn't really lengthen, but I'd say it does add volume. When I apply a second coat it begins to clump, but it's nothing a lash comb can't fix. I probably won't buy it again, because it is nothing extraordinary.

i love it!
my lashes are short-medium in length, this mascara only gives a little length.
as for volume-- it's not the best. i prefer lashblast
as for curl- ITS THE BEST. i have straight lashes that never stays curled. with this , my lashes stay curly for a decent amount of time.

on 9/11/2009 11:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I don't think this mascara is worth it - I don't get why it is so popular. It did absolutely nothing for my fine lashes. Except put color on them. That is it. It did not length, plump or give any extra volume. For the most part it did not look like I was wearing any mascara at all. I tried applying it different ways and it still did not help. The formula seems ok, I think the brush is the big problem. A waste. A very expensive waste.

on 9/10/2009 9:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Clumpy, brush applies too much product, not worth the money.

on 9/4/2009 6:02:00 PM

Not the worst, but not the best mascara. Bionic is not a good name, it makes you expect too much. Ionic is not bionic, and who cares about ionic on makeup for lashes anyway? The colour is good, very intense, very black, and I can definitely see my lashes when I have this mascara on them, but it does not curl them or hold a curl, and it does not lengthen them or fatten them up enough, if it does at all. I like that it doesn't smudge, the texture is thick. I can apply it over my Lancôme XL primer with no problem as long as I let the primer dry completely first. This combo makes my lashes fuller, but still without curl. The first time I used Bionic with my primer, I put it on right after I applied the primer, and it flaked like crazy. Mine is a travel size I got in a great mascara kit I went splits on with my sweet, gorgeous, and very funny daughter, at Sephora. Would not have purchased this mascara on its own because of the absurd price and all of your reviews (Thank you so much :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Woah, woah, woah. This was from Smashbox?!! Simply the worst mascara I have ever used!! It literally clumped all my lashes together and even ripped out a few in the process! Not only that but that ONE time I used it was such a mess! It ran everywhere! Don't waste your money! And I hate that it's in most of their kits. No wonder, they can't get rid of it! Such crap!

Popular Mascaras