October 31, 2014 | 1444 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is my second favorite paint pot thus far (second to Painterly) The reason it's second is because this color is more yellow while the painterly is more beige and blends in with my skin better. I use this as an eye primer for my lighter looks. (whites, nudes, etc) Great staying power. Very creamy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 4:21:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am not a big fan of this product - I was looking for something that would double up as an eyeshadow primer but unfortunately this makes even my MAC eyeshadows to become a bit pale and more matte than I would like them to be and it creases more than my Benefit creaseless cream es/liner at the end of the day.

Instead I use it also as an undereye concealer and it works quite well in that way.
I am keeping the pot inside of the cardboard box it came in to prevent it drying too fast. So far after 6 months of occasional use it is still going strong though I know better primers. Next time I should go with a slightly less matte colour.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good eye shadow base to have in your stash, I like the fact that it evens out my eyelids and helps my eye shadow to stay on longer but it seems to feel a bit heavy, if that's the word I'm looking for. By mid day I can feel that I have a "base" on, that's the reason I gave it 4 stars. I also found the best way to apply it is to use your finger, blend it over the lid and then pat it in, it gets rid of any "uneven" spots that I seem to get when I don't pat it on. Overall I do really like the product, makes my shadow more vibrant and my eyes look bright and awake.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 10:04:00 PM More reviews by fuzzybluelogic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily lids and being native american, I have very hooded eyes. This is the only product that acts as an effective eye primer for me. And I use it as an undereye concealer, too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Soft Ochre is an extremely warm (yelllow based) paint pot that can be used as an eyeshadow base... and some say primer. Although I don't get any creasing when I use it, I do find that my shadows fade a little quicker than if I used UD Primer Potion. I like Soft Ochre because it covers all the redness on my eyelid, but the formula is definitely a bit dry -- much drier than Painterly. I did a full review and comparison with swatches between Soft Ochre and Painterly on my blog if you would like to check it out:

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2012 5:47:00 AM More reviews by muaKissAndMakeUp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

MAC's paint pots can be used as cream eyeshadow, but I personally like the use them as an eyelide base to use under my actual eyeshadow. Using a paint pot under my powder eyeshadow triples the wear of my eyeshadow, makes the color a lot more vibrant and gives my eyeshadow perfect coverage and eveness. Soft Ochre is one of my favorite paint pots, and I use this under any color eyeshadow. So it's not really necessary to match your paint pot with your eyeshadow if you're using it as an eyelid base.

I recently did a before and after on my blog where I used the same eyeshadow without and with Soft Ochre underneath it. The difference was dramatic, seriously!

Pro's:
- perfect eyelid base
- triples the wear of powder eyeshadow
- makes colors alot more vibrant
- gives perfect coverage and eveness
- no real need to "match" colors

Con's:
- very thick and creamy, so it calls for a rather rough application (which sensitive lids might not like)
- makes your powder eyeshadow harder to blend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 3:46:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've never owned a paint pot before. I am NC15 with oily lids. Sometimes if I dont wear eyeshadow you can see the oil on my lids creasing. gross. Also, my eye lids are very red and you can see my veins. My skin type is normal/oily in the summer and normal/dry in the winter.

I bought this paint pot to cover up the redness and the veins showing on my eyelids. This has a yellow undertone and I chose this to counteract the red. Upon first application it is very dry and you need to get past the top layer to really warm it up with your fingers to get that creamy texture. One layer of this blurs my veiny red eyes. I need about 2-3 coats to completely cover what I need. It blends into my eyelids and makes them look brighter and more awake. You cannot tell that I am wearing this because it is about the same color as my skin tone maybe a little lighter.

I have worn this over 10 hours before with no creasing or fading. After dinner is when it starts to fade.

I have only had this for a couple of weeks so its hard to say if it dries out over time or not. I will update if anything changes or if it starts to dry out.
EDIT 12/10/2012: Still love and use this stuff with no drying out
Edit: 1/28/13 I still love this stuff and no drying out!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by ladymakeupfan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really do like this paint pot, as other reviewers have mentioned, definitely don't be fulled by the boring or dull color of this! It is a dream! It really brightens the eyelid up! And I almost want to use it as concealer due to the color, I never would! But itis basically a concealer for the eyelids, eyeshadows stick to this well and look brighter and prettier. I also own bare study, I like this one more! I however cannot give it a full 5 star rating because of the packaging, for one, its pretty, but bulky jar, and I would say non travel friendly, also the product will dry up at the edges within time. I have heard storing them upside down will help, I don't do this, so can't say if it works or not. I love the product, don't love the packaging. However I would buy again if only for this particular color.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2012 1:11:00 PM More reviews by surfplum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like to use this alone, instead of as a base for other shadows. It makes my eyes look very awake (covers any veins and darkness on the lid), then all I need is some liner and I'm good to go. My biggest complaint is that it dries up in the pot as time goes on (I've had it for at least 6 months now). It's not as creamy as it used to be and it cakes a little bit. I'm hoping Mac will come out with some version of this in a tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Hanouna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This matches my NC25/30 skintone very well because of the pale/yellowish color. I use this as a primer and a "concealer" for my lids which are a bit discolored. I do find at the end of the day on the part of my upper lid (close to my nose) that it starts to cake a bit, I don't know if it's the way I apply it?