April 20, 2014 | 1825 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Chanel - Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by chikorita23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried about 4 to 5 Chanel products so far and they were all talk yet no real benefit on my skin. Except probably this one.

I have very white-fair skin, but my under skin tone is pretty warm/pinkish. Which I'm trying to conceal it. (Most Asians have yellowish skin-tone, not me though!)

This Chanel primer does brighten... or shall I say, whitening my skin color. I can't put too much on my face though, or else it made my foundation look very mask-alike.

Pro:
- It does whiten my skin, a good primer under my foundation.

Con:
- Strong scent
- Its very watery... so it WILL sink and clog into your pores, making it more visible when you wear foundation.
- Poor package design.... I easily got way too much product, very wasting.
- Pricy!

Overall, I'd say this does brighten up my skin-tone... but it has so many other issues I didn't like.... so will I repurchase? Yes or no...it all depend if I find another replacement. I'll recommand this product to someone who doesn't have large-skin-pores, and someone doesn't mind strong perfume in cosmatics.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2011 9:27:00 AM More reviews by alvira7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was not initially convinced about this product.

First Impressions: I am quite pale, and when the BA put this product on my skin, I thought it would make be look even whiter. Additionally,as this product is silicone and water based,it is lighter in texture then other primers I was used to. I thought that it might not work as well, especially in minimizing pores.

End result: I am so impressed that this primer gives a nice glow to the skin and encourages me to skip out on foundation as I am so confident on how good my skin looks with this product. My pores appear to be minimized and my makeup lasts all day. I have dry sensitive skin and I have not broken out with this product.

Hint: For those that feel they are getting a white effect with this primer, just use a little less. There is also a Chanel primer with a tint of bronzer which is great for a summer glow.

This is a good investment and I am sure that once you try it, you will want to buy it again. Alvira Khan, Florida Atlantic University, FAU Boca Raton Alumna

rated 2 of 5 on 2/18/2011 12:43:00 AM More reviews by miszdeniise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Eh...didnt really do nothing for me. Did not fill in pores or lines and made me oily quicker...mind you I hve extremely dry skin. I used this with Vitalumiere...I find that Monistat anti chaffing works way better than this!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2011 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Saagelo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I liked original blanc universel in the jar, so i purchased this one. I don't hate it, but don't love it either. It does not do enythin special to my skin. In fact I can't see the differense with wearing this or not. It does'nt help my makeup stay longer or evening out my skintone. It smoothes my skin surface little bit and adds tiniest amount of whiteish glow, but I cant see eny dramatic benefits with this on... The packaging is also hard to use, especially in hurry. I pour little amount product into my hand and blend with my fingers. It comes with a spatula, but I find it useles. I will not be repurchasing.

Update: Too oily to use under makeup. Makes me look pale.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by kaygal89

My first ever proper primer so cant compare to others but I def love this product. Gives a nice smooth base works well with Chanel Matte Lumiere. LOVE the smell its so luxurious. Packaging a pain but great product non the less. Don't be afraid if you have oily acne prone skin like me it wont make u shiny and it doens't clog pores. Makes foundation last longer and look better even during humidity. highly rec

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I always liked the original Blanc Universel which was discontinued and purchased its replacement, Le Blanc de Chanel, which I would only use to lighten my concealer, however, lately I have been using this product all over my face, and my face looks more balanced ....... I dab some on my beauty blender, and lightly blend all over and then use my beauty blender and lightly use some of my LORAC's Luminizer in which which I apply to the c's of my cheeks and a bit to highlight my eyes, nose, chin and my face truly looks flawless ......... I have no pores, fine lines are not as noticeable and even a few sun spots I have look diffused ......... Le Blanc de Chanel is $$$ but well worth the higher price tag, plus it works so well with the LORAC Luminizer ...... my face looks fresh all day long.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2011 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Melikeymakeup

Why, oh why, did I not purchase this before? I thought it would be just like any other makeup primer, but I was so wrong!

It has this subtle, white reflectiveness to it which is just great for camoflaging my undereye circles. I also put it on my nose to cover my enlarged pores.

It works like a dream! Will keep repurchasing forever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2011 11:13:00 AM More reviews by SaraAliceSky

I swear this is waste of money!,If you acne scars/acne prone and trying to cover this is the worst product you purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 12:19:00 AM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Update November
Another MUA member contacted me to reassure me that this is not a discontinued product. I am so happy to learn this! whew :)

I went to the Chanel Deja Vu section on their website, and they no longer show this as being discontinued. For Chanel lovers who may not know this, Chanel offers discontinued favorites from both limited edition, as well as permanent lines on their website.

Update: October 12,11

Chanel has this listed as a discontinued item. In an email sent to me, this is among others in the Deja vu offers. It is for sale on their website for $45. I do not know if it is still available in retail stores. Such a shame to see it go (again) I think if they'd packaged it better, there would have been many more repeat sales. Even just offering a pump to add to bottle...

EDIT: Eventually my growing frustration with the bottle led me to transfer this into an empty Roc serum pump dispenser. What a difference! It makes my makeup routine so much quicker, and, if I'm mixing this with a liquid foundation, the ratio is much more precise.

I still am incredulous that Chanel packaged this in the way it did with no pump option. I actually looked around for something with a black or even gold pump which would work with the wide mouth of the Chanel jar/bottle but found nothing. Hopefully someone for Chanel reads productville reviews and catches on that the current offering of packaging is extremely unpopular with consumers.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Let me preface this review by saying that I never used the original formulation of Le Blanc, so I don't have that to compare it to. Maybe I would have loved it, but even if I did, and this new version is very different, I would still LOVE this new one too!

I don't even know where to start. On its own, without foundation, it makes my skin to where I would actually consider going without foundation on. This is huge for me to say this, because foundation and lipstick are just as important as deodorant in my daily essentials! lol

My skin is not bad. A couple broken capillaries, a few faint old acne scars, two melasma ~ one on either cheek. A stray freckle. Somewhat dark circles. But, what I dislike most is that my nose is darker and redder than the rest of my face. It just is. Not a lot, but a little. No amount of sunblock seems to change it. And I remember reading some well respected makeup artist saying how that was one of the major faux pas that the average woman made, in that she didn't see her nose was darker than her cheeks. So, I'm a bit over sensitive about it.

With this product, everything looks in nice soft focus, it takes away much of the redness everywhere. (even my nose).

But, as nice is this is, I found something I think makes it even more wonderful. I have YSL Teint Resist liquid foundation. This was purchased back when I was on my mission to find THE foundation of all foundations! It took two color exchanges before I was satisfied. But even then,the makeup just looked a little too flat, too much like it was sitting on my skin. Especially in fluorescent lighting. However, I really liked the fact it didn't rub off or oxidize, and no heavy mask appearance. So, I kept it, but it was in the drawer of my vanity rather than being used. (and, a fyi, that foundation, at least the shades I've tried, dry noticeably darker than while still wet)

After I bought Le Blanc de Chanel, I tried mixing it equal parts with the YSL TR. Perfection! really. I use a damp beauty blender sponge. And my face looks amazing. Glowing, not shiny, the foundation keeps its no transfer properties. It lasts for hours and hours. I am so amazed, and so wish I'd discovered the Le Blanc years ago.

I've also used it under Boots #7 mouse foundation with wonderful results. Honestly that foundation goes so far anyway, and with the Le Blanc used as primer first, not even a quarter of a pea size does my face. The radiance created by Le Blanc is not hidden by foundation put on top of it. It comes through somehow, for me anyway.

As virtually everyone else has commented, the bottle is a pain. Yes, it looks pretty on the vanity, but its messy to pour out, spatula is messy too, & its difficult to use the same precise amount (if mixing with a foundation). If I'm not mixing with foundation I just tip with a couple of fingers over the opening. If I am mixing, I dip the tip of a spatula in. Really wish it had a pump! I'd pay extra.

All in all, it is one of my top favorite discoveries. I love that I can put this on and do nothing else to my face, and feel pretty.

After all of these years, I can finally be the woman who can be ready in just moments, with this on my face and a swipe of lipstick(and maybe some eyebrow pencil). But really, less than two minutes and I can be out the door. I also like that it does not contain sunscreen so I don't have to worry about having "ghost face" for photographs.

18 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by atsitl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a fantastic product! It leaves the skin naturally even toned, while brightening it... I do not use it as a primer as I don't wear foundation. I think that it is better worn by itself, as foundation seems to distort my natural skin colour, which is accentuated immediately with this product. I purchased armani's face fabric second skin in the white shade, only to find out that chanel does it more naturally... If you have a really dark skin though, apply just a small quantity!