October 22, 2014 | 1907 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by FlyLikeAG6

When I first began using this product, I definitely wasn't expecting a miracle overnight, which is great because I had minor purging for the first two weeks. I don't have ance, but I have large pores and some minor discoloration, and I always felt like my skin was dull even though I exfoliated about twice a week. So when I was getting small whiteheads for the first two weeks, I was worried that I was messing with my skin for no reason. But I'm really glad I stuck with it because after the purging, my skin has improved so much. My pores appear smaller and my overall complexion is brighter.

I began using this product by applying it every night after cleansing, and waiting about an hour before applying my night cream (for my combo skin, I need moisture at night. If you're oily, I wouldn't recommend it.) I wanted to get any purging over with, so I assumed that would be the best way to start off. Looking back, I probably could have only used it every other night or so, which is what I'm doing now. Also, I was using way too much and I was actually rubbing it in, which made my skin thinner and made the purging worse. After a couple of weeks, I started applying it really sparingly and only patting it on (don't rub!), and I noticed that my skin was more supple and brighter. You really only need to use a little bit product - applying more won't make it work faster or better. I've also gotten rid of the facial scrub I had been using a couple of times a week because this works so much better. There's no reason why you need to scrub if you're using AHA. It will just strip your skin or make it oilier.

Before purchasing this cream, I checked online at Walgreens to see if it was in stock at any of the stores on my daily route - it wasn't. So I went out of my way to get this, but it is so cheap and works so well for me, I don't mind the extra drive to a store I'd never ever visit. I'm also glad I waited a few months before reviewing this because even after the purging ended, I was still a little skeptical that it was actually this product making such an improvement (as if my skin just naturally decided to get brighter and softer and my pores just naturally decided to shrink), but this is definitely HG for me and I recommend it to anyone looking for an extra something for their skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by Mindy919

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Before this I was using Neutrogena Healthy Skin at night, which also contains glycolic acid. Obviously it doesn't contain nearly as much as this because I definitely noticed a difference immediately with this stuff. I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and it has improved my skin. I did have minimal purging for just a week or so and I wake up every morning to an oil slick, but when I wash that off my skin is glowing. I must add that I have yet to find ANY cream that I can wear all night without waking up to an oil slick so that's probably just my own bad luck. I might try the name brand version just to see if it does make a difference with the oil-slick, but I doubt it will. I will update if it does. Also, I don't see any difference between when I wear it 1-2 times a week vs. 7 days a week. I also use it on my hands once or twice a week before bed and it keeps them super-soft always, even in this cold weather.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by idkme2

I was searching around MUA, looking for some high rated products...when I came upon this. Most of the reviews were great, and I really wanted to ignore the bad ones.

Unfortunately, I now am now one of "those bad reviews". I only applied this once every night, and at first I started breaking out in areas that I've never broken out before. I thought that maybe it would get better as time went by...but boy was I wrong!

Now I have to take care of the acne that I'm left with because of the product. I know that I wasn't just purging because as soon as I stopped using the product, I stopped breaking out. I was so disappointed because I searched 3 different Walgreen's trying to find it. It was all just wishful thinking though. I don't understand how it has such a high rating?! I guess we all have different results, and you could go out and see if it works for you.....but I really wouldn't recommend it (just from my experience, which was horrible).

Sorry for my rant, but that's just how bad this product was for me. :(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by brandpink101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Unfortunately, this product did not react well with my skin. I decided to try it based on the reviews by people who said they have very sensitive skin. It felt alright as I put it on, however, five minutes after, my face was very very red and I could feel my skin getting tighter. I had to remove it, so needlessly to say, I will definitely not be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2010 3:52:00 AM More reviews by ladywednesday

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Wow.
I am now a member of the Church of Better Living Through Chemistry.
Having been a chem major, one would think I could keep track of the all the fun new verbiage of skin care. Instead, it confused me- AHAs? acid? nia-what? So I ignored it, and figured that as long as I drank enough water and used sunscreen, I would be fine.
Alas, aging changes everything.
I don't have major skin issues- anymore- but I started to notice dullness...weird little bumps that weren't really acne..and of course, scarring left over from years of too-enthusiastic bouts of "picking" at acne.

I lurk about the skin care board- and I had read the glowing reviews of this product. On Day 1 of a 4 day cross country road trip, I pulled into a Walgreens in Nowhere, WY, and picked up a jar of Alpha Hydroxy, and used it that night in my hotel room. I assumed I was setting myself up for a failure of epic proportions.
Oh, not so, not at all.
By the second day, I could see the change.
Little weird bumps? GONE.
Glowy, radiant skin worthy of a 13 year old? MINE.
Diminished acne scars? NO WAY.

Yes, all true. I love this stuff. Never, ever has a single product made this much of a difference in my appearance. No foundation, lipstick, hairstyle, nor great sex has ever made me look this good.

The packaging is bleak, at best- c'mon now, its a DRUGSTORE BRAND. Do not let this dissuade you.
Get this, and get it now.
It does burn, at first. I don't have sensitive skin, and I didn't develop burn scars nor crippling disfigurement. But, YMMV. It does sting.

This product goes down in the annuals of 2010 as the best $7 I have ever spent.

It does smell a bit. But seriously, it could smell like pig dung and I would still use it.

Stop reading, and go buy this right now :)

31 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 12:12:00 PM More reviews by SKITTLES33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is AMAZING! I have very sensitive skin and I was a little worried about using lotion that is not a name brand.. I wear this at night and when I wake up my skin is so smooth. Not to mention I get small lil white heads under my skin on my cheeks well this stuff dried those put by the morning!! This lotion has also cleared up 90% of the black heads on my nose after about a week or 2 this is def my HG night creme!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2010 7:08:00 PM More reviews by kimmyshimmy

3 weeks ago I tried this on my almost 37 year old skin. After 3 days, my skin glowed----and I mean GLOWED! 3 weeks now and my skin looks amazing. The whiteheads scattered about my face are gone- as are the fine lines around my eyes. Pre-foundation it looks like I already have foundation on- Post foundation --my face looks like a picture from a magazine that's been airbrushed. My skin hasn't looked this good since pre-puberty!!! I don't care for the jar since I know it's easier for bacteria to grow--but I wash my hands really good prior to using and also shake the tub and only use the cream that's on the inside of the lid.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by halina729

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Lets me say how AMAZING this cream is. I have been using it for about 4 years. When i first started to use it, my acne was so bad. My face was full of cystic acne and nothing seemed to work..... until I got my hands on this cream. Wow the first time after I used it, it minimized all of my pimples and after a few days, they were mostly gone. The alpha hydroxy is the greatest thing out there. The texture of the cream is a little oily, but I highly recommend sticking to this cream. Results will happen! The only problem is that after a while my skin adjusts to it and gets used to it, so I recommend switching to another simple cream every few months for a few days at a time, this way the alpha hydroxy will always work. For anyone who has acne, go to makeup artists choice and purchase their glycolic acid peel and use it daily or every other day. Clear skin will be there in a week! (it helped me, and my acne was so bad that I was on Accutane twice, nothing worked)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2010 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Jmberry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because of the rave reviews hoping it would be a miracle in a jar as it has for others. Sadly, I couldn't use it long enough to find out. I hated the way this felt on my face. Too greasy for my oily skin, too much stinging and itching. I did apply very sparingly as the instructions said. After a few minutes my pores seemed to be "sweating" little drops of oil. It smells just like Elmers glue, which I could have dealt with if it felt better. I also didn't like that the tub wasn't sealed when I bought it. It is a huge amount of product for about 6 bucks so no complaints there. Skincare is my only real way of splurging on myself and I like the products I use to be enjoyable. This just wasn't. I only used it for about two weeks total and had to toss it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 4:55:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The morning after using this for the first time, I woke up with the most beautiful skin I've had in a while. It looked like I was wearing foundation and it was very glowy. It all went downhill from there, after I started breaking out, which I interpreted as "purging," so I waited it out for several weeks. The breakouts never stopped and it clogged my pores everywhere! After a quick search on the skincare board, I found out there is highly comedogenic ingredient in this that triggers breakouts; I'm not sure which one it is. The texture was nice and moisturizing but it stung my skin every time, though it went away. I just bought the more pricey Alpha Hydrox AHA souffle to try out, which strangely enough, contains more AHA but stings less on my skin.