October 24, 2014 | 1597 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:09:00 AM More reviews by GabrielleCoCo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the previous sunscreen also SPF50 from Chanel and this is the newer formulation. Texture wise is a bit more matte than previously but still with an easily absorbed texture. Besides UV protection, this also helps to protect against environmental aggressions and pollution which is an added boon! A normal bottle of this should last me about 6 weeks. Waterbased is fresh even for my oily skin and does not look whitish on me. I feel the price is ok SGD$70 for 30ml which is on par with Clarins and a bit cheaper than Lancome. Never break me out thus will keep on using this for ever and ever!

PS: Works great during sun tanning too. Keeps the face from turning too tanned. Remeber to mix the phases inside well by shaking and rattle the ball bearings inside for a couple seconds.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Neeeneee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about 2 years now, I think it is excellent. It glides on to you face and blends so easily. It is fantastic under makeup and provides great protection. I have very fair skin prone to burning and I use this winter and summer, everyday and have no problems at all. I couldn't do without it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Sorry to drag down the stellar ratings for this product, but I want to share my own experience. I have fair skin that has pink undertones and flushes easily (no rosacea, just sensitive). I have been able to wear various sunscreens with Avobenzone, as well as various zinc-based ones without flushing. It all depends of the formulation. Mexoryl generally turns me pink after a while (and shiny!) and titanium dioxide breaks me out, so I vacillate mainly between Avoenzone ones and mineral, generally favoring the former because of their transparency and ease of removal. The Chanel (zinc oxide with octinoxate) sounded so perfect in the below reviews that I had to plunk down the nearly $60 for the teeny bottle. This immediately made me pink and I stayed that way until I washed it off. I guess if you don't have any issues with sensitivity, this one could be a keeper. I just want to warn those of you with reactive skin that this one might turn out to be an expensive mistake, so please purchase from someplace that accepts returns.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2010 6:39:00 AM More reviews by puchokiki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very very very good sunscreen. I've tried a lot of different sunscreens mainly from Japanese or Taiwanese brands and this is one of the best I've tried. This is my sister's HG facial sunscreen, so naturally I had to give it a try. :P The texture is very light and velvety and the product absorbs quickly and sits well under make up. It leaves a matte smooth finish, which I love especially in the winter (I tend to associate matte with winter). I don't notice a white cast like some other people, but I am pretty pale. I think this would work well as a make up base. It doesn't sting my eyes at all which is a plus plus plus for me. I've never had any problems with this product clogging my pores or breaking me out. The bottle is small (30ml), but it will still last a very long time and I think most facial sunscreens come in 30ml anyways. One bottle will last me about 2-3 months. The smell reminds me of a scent I would smell on my grandmother, but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm unsure as to how good the staying power of this sunscreen is. I noticed that when I'm wearing it and I sweat a lot (as in going into a steam room. yeah I know gross I should cleanse my face first ^^") I get a white cast on my face (not sure what this means and I should probably research...), but I think all sunscreens recommend users to reapply the product after swimming/etc. etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by elizium

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Now I am updating my previous review. I really loved a previous UV from Chanel but a new product is simply the worse thing I've ever tried. It leaves very visible white coverage (even on my very white and pale skin). It is difficult to remove (you have to use make up removers for waterproof cosmetics). It is difficult to apply powder or foundation on top of this product.
Will never ever buy it again! Such a shame for Chanel ((

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 6:52:00 AM More reviews by mica8999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best sunscreen ever! I have combi/dry skin and this is not drying. Leaves a nice matte finish. Foundation and makeup look best over this sunscreen as opposed to the other sunscreen I've tried (Shiseido, La Roche Posay, Obagi, Lancome and Dior), and I don't have to bother with a primer. Expensive but truly worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by marysusan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this sunscreen, easy to use and works well under make up. Had appt with Derm. this week and she said this is "excellent"... can't get a better recomendation that that!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by harpsandhurdles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After discontinuing the Shiseido SPF 55, and changing it to a 60 (hated the new formula!) I was searching for a good everyday sunscreen with high protection, wouldn't break me out and look good under makeup. This is it! I have tried La Roche Posay, Bioderma, Avene, Sofina, and many others....and this is the best. It a little sticky after applying, but I will live with it due to the excellent protection and the fact that it dosen't break me out. I apply ALOT more than just a few drops, so I'm estimating the bottle will last about a month and a half. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2010 9:13:00 PM More reviews by fcoolbabe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this product! I have combination skin and is prone to breakouts. Used this everyday for at least two weeks in the summer time with no problem. I don't have to use much to cover my whole face and it did not leave a white film on my face. After doing some research, Zinc oxide is one of the best physical sunblocks out there, and it does not degrade over time which is very important to me. For me, this product is worth the money!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Such a mixed review for this one. Sunscreen is such an important part of anyone's skincare whether its in the hopes of stopping aging in its tracks or preventing skin cancer.

When it comes to my face my requirements are thus:

Shine free
Does not migrate into the eyes
Contains extra goodies in the form of antioxidants or ahas
No obvious white cast
Don't break the bank!

In terms of the first, Chanel is the best I have come across (I've tried more than I've cared to review!) Even my nose was shine free for over four hours, impressive stuff when I have the most shiny nose! However here's the cloud for that silver lining - as with anything that mattifies, it shows up every little flake on your face, especially around the eyes. You must make sure you are using a fab moisturisor underneath and exfoliate! I am currently loving St Ives firming scrub - see review) which is very gentle for the face but removes all the flakes from my Roc and Aha'd to hell and back face!

Next - It does not migrate into the eyes - joy! You do not have to purchase an extra eye sunscreen - looking at you Aveeno 30+ !! Grr.

It contains loads of extra goodies for the face and has helped to keep damage at bay as my face is super sensitive as I'm trying to get rid of my melasma from two pregnancies.

It does leave a white cast but it absorbs within 30 minutes or so.

And the final downer - I'm lucky I have a very understanding husband who smiles at my purchases instead of turning red. At $71 NZ for a teeny tiny bottle, it makes you gulp before you hand over your money that is for sure. I only use it for my face, not neck and for days I'm wearing makeup, if I'm at home I'm going to put on the Aveeno and blink furiously hoping that my eyes will stop stinging soon!

I am going to say that, no, I will not purchase again as I want to try ego's matte sunscreen with the purple stripe going across the bottle and then maybe some other higher end brands like 'to save face' spf 30+ which also dries to a matte finish but also has moisturising properties before I fold and go back to this one again.