Chanel UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

cyclopentaxiloxane, zinc oxide (19%) , aqua, ethylhexyl methoxynamate (7.5%), alchohol denat, isononyl isonanoate, dipropyleneglcol,glycerin, neopenthyl glycol dicaprate, polymethilsilsesquioxane, polymethyl methacrylate, dimeticone, triethoxycaprylylsilane, PEG-9polydimethylsiloxethl dimethicone, propylene glycol, thocopheryi acetate, butyleneglycol, parfum, hydrolyzed wheat protein, mannitol, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymere, methylparabean, glycogen, panax ginseng root extract, aesculus hippocastanum eed exract, tilia cordata wood extract, trimethoxycaprylylsilane, sodium citrate, sodium hyaluronate, chlorphenesin, Faex,bht, peg -40 hydrogenated castor oil, glycyrrhiza glabra extract, phenoxyethanol, calcium panthothenate, biotin, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, titanium dioxide.

on 4/8/2011 1:51:00 PM

A nice lightweight sunscreen, similar to many Asian sunscreens available. I find it a bit shiny on my skin compared to Sofina or Shiseido, possibly due to the sunflower seed extract. I have very oily skin though. I have some breakouts and clogged pores around my cheek area after a few days use but will see if it's due to other factors. Will provide an update later this month.

UPDATE 08.2011:
I have acne prone skin and I've started using BP so I don't get much breakouts anymore. It still makes me look shiner than other primers but I do like the fragrance and the high SPF. It feels less drying/mattifying than Sofina so I will keep this for winter-use.

I've already bought a backup. This is a wonderful sunscreen, it's very easily absorbed, I use it under my face cream because it has a fluid-like consistency, and my face creams are quite rich. One bottle lasts about 4 months, and I think I will keep repurchasing

I have been using the previous sunscreen also SPF50 from Chanel and this is the newer formulation. Texture wise is a bit more matte than previously but still with an easily absorbed texture. Besides UV protection, this also helps to protect against environmental aggressions and pollution which is an added boon! A normal bottle of this should last me about 6 weeks. Waterbased is fresh even for my oily skin and does not look whitish on me. I feel the price is ok SGD$70 for 30ml which is on par with Clarins and a bit cheaper than Lancome. Never break me out thus will keep on using this for ever and ever!

PS: Works great during sun tanning too. Keeps the face from turning too tanned. Remeber to mix the phases inside well by shaking and rattle the ball bearings inside for a couple seconds.

on 8/18/2010 7:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using this product for about 2 years now, I think it is excellent. It glides on to you face and blends so easily. It is fantastic under makeup and provides great protection. I have very fair skin prone to burning and I use this winter and summer, everyday and have no problems at all. I couldn't do without it!

on 7/26/2010 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Sorry to drag down the stellar ratings for this product, but I want to share my own experience. I have fair skin that has pink undertones and flushes easily (no rosacea, just sensitive). I have been able to wear various sunscreens with Avobenzone, as well as various zinc-based ones without flushing. It all depends of the formulation. Mexoryl generally turns me pink after a while (and shiny!) and titanium dioxide breaks me out, so I vacillate mainly between Avoenzone ones and mineral, generally favoring the former because of their transparency and ease of removal. The Chanel (zinc oxide with octinoxate) sounded so perfect in the below reviews that I had to plunk down the nearly $60 for the teeny bottle. This immediately made me pink and I stayed that way until I washed it off. I guess if you don't have any issues with sensitivity, this one could be a keeper. I just want to warn those of you with reactive skin that this one might turn out to be an expensive mistake, so please purchase from someplace that accepts returns.

on 7/16/2010 6:39:00 AM

Very very very good sunscreen. I've tried a lot of different sunscreens mainly from Japanese or Taiwanese brands and this is one of the best I've tried. This is my sister's HG facial sunscreen, so naturally I had to give it a try. :P The texture is very light and velvety and the product absorbs quickly and sits well under make up. It leaves a matte smooth finish, which I love especially in the winter (I tend to associate matte with winter). I don't notice a white cast like some other people, but I am pretty pale. I think this would work well as a make up base. It doesn't sting my eyes at all which is a plus plus plus for me. I've never had any problems with this product clogging my pores or breaking me out. The bottle is small (30ml), but it will still last a very long time and I think most facial sunscreens come in 30ml anyways. One bottle will last me about 2-3 months. The smell reminds me of a scent I would smell on my grandmother, but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm unsure as to how good the staying power of this sunscreen is. I noticed that when I'm wearing it and I sweat a lot (as in going into a steam room. yeah I know gross I should cleanse my face first ^^") I get a white cast on my face (not sure what this means and I should probably research...), but I think all sunscreens recommend users to reapply the product after swimming/etc. etc.

on 7/6/2010 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Now I am updating my previous review. I really loved a previous UV from Chanel but a new product is simply the worse thing I've ever tried. It leaves very visible white coverage (even on my very white and pale skin). It is difficult to remove (you have to use make up removers for waterproof cosmetics). It is difficult to apply powder or foundation on top of this product.
Will never ever buy it again! Such a shame for Chanel ((

on 6/30/2010 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

The best sunscreen ever! I have combi/dry skin and this is not drying. Leaves a nice matte finish. Foundation and makeup look best over this sunscreen as opposed to the other sunscreen I've tried (Shiseido, La Roche Posay, Obagi, Lancome and Dior), and I don't have to bother with a primer. Expensive but truly worth it!

on 6/25/2010 12:29:00 PM

Love this sunscreen, easy to use and works well under make up. Had appt with Derm. this week and she said this is "excellent"... can't get a better recomendation that that!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

After discontinuing the Shiseido SPF 55, and changing it to a 60 (hated the new formula!) I was searching for a good everyday sunscreen with high protection, wouldn't break me out and look good under makeup. This is it! I have tried La Roche Posay, Bioderma, Avene, Sofina, and many others....and this is the best. It a little sticky after applying, but I will live with it due to the excellent protection and the fact that it dosen't break me out. I apply ALOT more than just a few drops, so I'm estimating the bottle will last about a month and a half. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!