November 23, 2014 | 2082 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by bobbictx

Didn't do much for me.
I have pretty damaged hair, the ends are split, and I have quite a bit of breakage.
Mostly the ends are damaged and the rest is okay. I followed the directions to the T, and used the moisturizing stuff afterwards, then I deep conditioned.
The next day, my hair felt a bit dry, so I washed & conditioned, and then my hair felt a bit better, the breakage seemed lessened some. However, after a week or so, my hair was exactly the same as before. Perhaps using this every 6-8 weeks will show some result over time, but there was no instant miracle as some describe.

I tried to 2-minute keratin reconstructor as well, and it didn't do much, if anything, either.
I'll try the joico k-pack next, but I'm not expecting any miracles. I think I may just stick to doing a deep conditioning & joico pack weekly, not sure that I'll use this often, if at all, again.

I think I will try it on my extensions when they get all tangled & ratty, & see if it makes any difference on them or not.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Miracle product!!! I have been light auburn/strawberry blond for the past 10 years and decided last summer to go light blonde. When i decided to go back strawberry, i couldnt. My tips were soooo damaged that they wouldnt pick up color -at all-. So my hair would turn strawberry at the roots but fade the tips with-in 3 washes back to lt blonde. Pretty silly looking. That is when a friend suggested this. I used it once and it didnt work (i now know i used it wrong!). Then someone else suggested it and told me how to use it (since i can not follow simple directions apparently). I doused my hair with it with a spray bottle, left in for 20 or 25 minutes and colored hair. I used preference light reddish blonde. All of my hair was one, beautiful color! And it still is, many washes later. Also my hair is noticably stronger. Weeeeeell worth the cheap price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use this everytime I color my hair. It is about 2 bucks at Sally's for the small bottle. I use it when I am touching up or doing an all over color. My hair can pick up red very easily and using this makes sure I get exactly the color I want from root to tip - it is even and gorgeous. I have well water and use alot of clarifying treatments that can strip color however this seems to make my color last longer and look more vibrant. I usually apply it before I color and wait 20 minutes, then blot then color as usual. I have added to the actual hair coloring mixture but that makes it a bit runny and hard to deal with. Also I have hair down a bit past my bra strap and 1 bottle seems to be just right, so if you have longer hair than that get the bigger bottle or just buy two smaller ones so you will get adequate coverage. I agree that if you use this before you color it WILL pick up color very easily so do a strand test or buy a shade lighter than normal. All in all this works, it is cheap, it keeps my hair color even and bright, it is easy to find, it doesn't dry my hair out and I will always buy this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 3:11:00 AM More reviews by samhoney

This actually worked on me!! I bleached out my hair completely to near platinum and decided to go back to a very warm light brown. I'm NO expert but I did tons of research and decided to follow the advice I'd gathered. I bought the neutral protein filler, dampened my hair then sprayed on two ounces of this filler all over my hair. I combed it through and left it on for 20 minutes per the directions. I then blotted my hair just a touch dryer and applied Natural Instincts light auburn (apply a red semi-perm on bleached hair if going back to brown). And I'll be dang but from root to tip, the color is all even!! I'm still amazed. My hair is so soft and feels so much stronger now.

I will be applying this filler again over the weekend and allowing it to dry in my hair before applying the permanent hair colour. This filler can also be mixed with water and used as a leave-in conditioner. Smells good, too, almost like bubble gum.

EDIT: I allowed the filler to dry in my hair and then applied the golden brown permanent colour. I left colour on for 25 minutes and the results are GORGEOUS!!! Even from tip to tip and so gold and vivid. There is a red tint to the golden brown due to the semi-perm red I had to use to keep it from turning out like mud. I will use this every time I colour from now on. "Hairdresser's insurance" indeed!!!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 7:49:00 AM More reviews by kimberlyhanson

Well i think mine is more of a question than a review i think this is a great lproduct however my hair was bleached almost white blonde with dark brown roots, I lput the filler on and then the color and it helped pretty good but there is some green to the color can i had some more filler on today and more color to see if it will color that or is that the wrong thing to do?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2009 5:05:00 PM More reviews by champe77

Wow! This product saved me from having green hair! I had medium blond hair and 1 inch roots of light brown. I was wanting to go back to the brown because the blond up keep was damaging my hair. I applied this from the ends up and left on for 15 mins then applied my color (light brown) the results were great. I am pleased with this product and I am also so happy I found this thread to help me decide how to change my hair from light to dark.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2009 2:00:00 PM More reviews by hellogina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have bought this many, many times. My hair is pretty damaged from over-coloring and bleaching, and using the filler is the only thing that keeps my hair able to pick up color. Just follow the instructions and you should be okay. The amount you need to use depends on how much hair you have and how long it is. You just need to use enough to completely saturate it.

The easiest way to apply it is with a spray bottle. Otherwise I end up dripping it everywhere. Also, when you select your dye color, be sure to pick one that is LIGHTER than what you want as the filler will make your hair pick the color up really well and it will turn out darker than it normally would.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 12:51:00 PM More reviews by iceomatic

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful product for all the reasons listed below. Yet, it is also a wonderful CHEAP protein treatment! If this wasn't enough already, if you use the tinted fillers, you can color refresh! I use red-red to color refresh my bright red hair. LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 9:01:00 AM More reviews by horsienut

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A few weeks ago I bleached my hair and used Special Effects Joyride, and I was getting tired of fushia hair. My hair was extremely porous because of the bleaching so I tried this protein filler, poured it into my hands and applied that way. My hair is ultra-short so I only used 1/3 of the small bottle. I left it on for 15 minutes and my hair was already drying (which was OK, the corrective color I chose said to apply to dry hair). My corrective brown color came out beautiful and even, and didn't pull darker in my bleached areas. I would definitely use this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Gina777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For years, I've tried coloring my hair at home when I don't have the money to go to the salon and have NEVER EVER liked the result and then had to spend even more money correcting my mistake than I would've paid just having it done the way I wanted. This weekend, I was in the exact same spot financially as in the past, so I decided to do a little research on getting good at-home results when this product came across my path...boy am I glad I did...my natural, root color is medium to dark, ashy blonde and I have been highlighting it light blonde for years, but I was getting sick of the old yellow, cheap-looking blonde highlights and wanted to get back to as close as my natural color as possible. In the past, when coloring at home the roots ALWAYS turned out a different color than the highlighted ends (coloring on top of blonde highlights is a scary and unpredictable business). I cannot believe it, but this product completely eradicated that problem! I am in awe really, and I am not easily impressed at all, ever! The color is even and beautiful from root to tip. I know that it was this product that made the difference b/c it's the only thing I did differently this time around. I followed the bottle directions for "when tinting", NOT the "time saving method". After the 20 minutes was up, I just blotted my hair with a towel. Then I mixed Ion Color Brilliance liquid color in 8N, 20 vol developer, and threw in a small packet of Ardell UnRed (since I ALWAYS pull red and hate it), left it on for 30 minutes, rinsed, conditioned, rinsed again, and voila! I am shocked...I did this myself??!! It's beautiful - it's even from root to tip and it's NOT red (ladies if you pull red, try the UnRed and please don't freak out by the color turning black, it works!)...I might never go back to the salon again! Oh, and I bought EVERYTHING at Sally's Beauty Supply for what my mom likes to call 'chump change' :)

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No