July 31, 2014 | 1666 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by sharmilaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

Color in review: 8G Golden Blonde. Absolutely gorgeous color. The problem i have is that the consistency of the product is very runny and get's difficult to use on the bottom hair especially if it is long.My hair was lightened a bit to a light brown before i used this. So for brunettes with medium brown hair it will work & if you donot get the color in the first try donot give up use this again once or twice to get to the color you want.
Make sure you use a color care shampoo as i feel this color doesnot stay long enough on atleast my dark hair & may come out on washing with shampoo. For dark black hair if you bleach your hair for about 20 -23 mins and then use this color you will get a beautiful caramel golden color. Please make sure to use 2 boxes for long hair . Hope that helps :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2011 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ladyofshalott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used this hair colour about 5-6 times. I colour my hair every 3-4 weeks. I have blonde hair and I was colouring my hair red, my roots were showing up super fast and the red would fade, so I would re-colour it. I noticed that my hair started to get SUPER SUPER crunchy and dry. Parts of my hair started to break off. I have a feeling that this may have been the culprit. I use to use a different brand of hair colour (same deal, colour every 3-4 weeks) for almost 2 years without any problems. I think that there is something in this hair colour that is not good for my hair. It's been almost 6 weeks since the last time I used this hair colour. My hair is still crunchy in some areas, but it is slowly getting better.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2011 11:33:00 AM More reviews by flaxgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I decided to try the 6 1/2 G Lightest Golden Brown color instead of my usual L'Oreal Creme 6BB. First problem is that this did not cover my gray effectively (which the Creme does). Second, this smelled terrible -- very strong ammonia odor. Third, this formula dried out my hair significantly. I'm going to need to do some treatments to get my hair back to its shiny self. Ladies, buy the Creme formula instead!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by kinkaju

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I realize all hair dye stinks, but this really knocked my socks off. My eyes really burned and I tried to hold my breath because breathing this stuff in was awful. I even went outside onto my porch to finish the application, hoping the open air would help with the fumes, but it didn't help much. I left the dye on for about ten minutes and had to shower and rinse it all off because I couldn't stand the stink or the tingling scalp anymore and I started to get freaked out. So I can't comment on the results. Maybe I'm just super sensitive, or a big baby, but using this product was so unpleasant I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by calanthe

I was going from brown to blonde; I had an inch of light brown/grey roots and six inches of dyed brown growth. I bleached twice with 30 vol. developer and my hair was still orange with yellow roots. I was debating cutting my losses and going to the salon, and going ahead and toning with the Preference Ash Blonde. I went ahead and used the L'oreal and it looks amazing! There isn't even a line of demarcation between my roots and growth; this evened everything out and gave me that nice ashy, champagne blonde. I let it develop for 45 minutes, though, and I think the packaging actually says 30 min. max, so don't expect to get blonde results on brown hair with this unless you pre-lighten. This is a great toner for bleached blonde hair. My hair also felt very soft and conditioned after rinsing and conditioning. I will use this again and again!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by catcoastal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

L'Oreal, I'm leaving you. The Garnier Nutrisse hair color is so much better than you are--better color, less dripping, less (although still obnoxious) smell. There's no contest. If it's any consolation, my mom still uses you since she doesn't know any better. That may soon change.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Deelicious79

I just love L'Oreal Superior Preference. I used it the other day, shade #5A Medium Ash Brown, and it turned out perfect! I have naturally dark brown hair with about 10%-15% gray. To be honest, Superior Preference is not really good for gray coverage by itself, but if you also go purchase some Gray Magic or No Gray (or something of the like) and add it to the the hair color, the gray is definitely gone, and your hair is very luminous with color! And the conditioner is just wonderful-it really softens your hair nicely! The 2 downsides for me is that 1) the mixture has a strong smell, but if you can look past that, you're good to go and 2) I wish they would lower the price of it. So thanks to Superior Preference, my hair is that nice rich chocolate brown (not black, thankfully) and since I've used this product, I've gotten noticed more by hotties! Lol ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2011 3:00:00 AM More reviews by xxAnjelicaxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'oreal Superior Preference = mediocre hair dye.

this dye has been around way longer than I've been alive, and has a freakishly high ammonia content for a modern dye. It is very drying, also. The upside is that I get good color quality, and fairly predictable, and a larger amount of dye than with cheaper brands, and a sizeable tube of conditioner. I like the blonde shades, for a box dye, they are very luminous and nice and they are never brassy on me, however I have seen professional dye give even better results, but as box dye goes I like their blondes the best. But, I'm displeased with the fact that they changed the gloves from legit, latex salon gloves to these crappy little plastic ones that look like the kind Revlon ColorSilk use? So, I guess what I dislike is the change in packaging to lower quality gloves and the too-high ammonia so it is a very smelly dye, very runny and watery, and drying and harsh on hair. I DO like how it gives me very nice, bright natural and luminous blondes (for a blonde dye with little lift, but my roots are naturally blonde, so..) and the ash shades don't turn green. I give it 3 stars because of all the ammonia, and smell, and it's super runny (says alot, because I'm used to smell), and 3 for packaging quality because they got so cheap with their formerly nice gloves. I had to put "no" on if I would buy it again, because there isn't a "maybe" option (not a definite yes, and not my first time using it, just so drying). Also, I usually used light ash blonde (level 9A) when I didn't use Revlon ColorSilk in golden blonde, and this time used natural blonde (N9? or something). It came over very natural, even, flawless color this time, looked very professional and awesome, although it was rather drying.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Janetg1953

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use to go to a salon for highlights and it was getting way too expensive so I tried Loreal Superior Preference in 8G medium golden blonde. I was impressed at the ease and the smell was not bad at all. It comes with a nice size tube of conditioner - enough for several weeks afterwards, which leaves my hair soft and silky feeling. What I liked the most is that it seemed to put variation in my hair (not all one bland color). I have gotten many compliments on it and people have said they like this alot better than the highlights I was paying $$$ for! My only complaint would be that at first it seemed a bit reddish/coppery, but that seems to go away after a week or two. I do use shampoo for color treated hair and the conditioner and I use the Loreal smoothing serum which is also a big help. I will buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Alexlsm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I luuuuuv this product. It works for my Asian hair!!!
I never leave any comment on products but I decided I would for the 1st time since it came out really GREAT. And since I’ve been searching all kinds of reviews and comparing product to product for days and I hope my review can be helpful for someone is having hard time with their Asian hair.
I am Asian and my hair is naturally black in color. I have long, fine hair and just like most Asians I too have orange/red undertone – I did not know till my stylist told me when I was getting my highlights couple months ago.
Since I salon colored my hair light/medium brown with highlights previously and my new grown hair is black I colored my hair with UL61 which is light brown color (cool tone). And it says for Dark brown to Black hair. And it came out just like the model’s hair on the box. It completely matches rest of my hair. No stain but really glossy and shiny!
I read other people’s review and it seems like if you have medium to thick Asian hair the color might come out little darker than the picture on the packaging box. But it still works!!
I used the brush and a bowl at Sallysalon – the formula is really runny so it wasn’t easy to apply without it. At least for me it was so much easier to use the brush and a bowl just like a hair stylist does. I applied on my hair root and left it for 30min. instead of 25min. Over all, it is a great product and a great deal. I'm definately buying it again!
Btw, your hair will look a little brighter the next day.