September 30, 2014 | 1758 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Viesha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The fact that there are so many reviews for this product indicates a definite cult following. I have used this daily as my eyeshadow primer since 2009. It does what it says and helps eye shadow's staying power and longevity throughout the day. It brightens color and provides a superb base for shadow. Apply a light layer and let dry prior to applying eyeshadow. One pot lasts me almost a year. Apply the cap securely and it won't dry out. Highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to say mine are some of the worse around and when I don't wear something to cover them up, people always ask me if I got any sleep or if I'm coming down with something, lol!I don't wear MAC foundations but I am guessing I'm in the range of NC35 and this does work pretty well with my skintone to provide a base for another concealer. I actually started just using this instead of an additional concealer and it seems to work just as well. I like the texture; thick but not too heavy and not so fine that I feel like it melts or gradually disappears.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by ksk07

This is just and ok product for me. I don't feel that It makes a difference at all in my eye look. I'll use this up, but I likely won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I love this and use it everyday as a base. Just to cover discolored eyelids and look polished. I don't feel like it's a great primer or the likes but use it alone as a cream eyeshadow.

If I could get my hands on the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Nude Pink or Just Beige then I'd probably pass over this. It's a bit on the pricey side for my budget.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by CMarie92

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this paint pot. It's the perfect flesh tone and I love that I can get out every drop of product. The price is good for what you get and it lasts a long time! I'd definitely recommend this!! One of my HG items!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by palepp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love and NEED MAC paint pots.

I'm one of those people who have to double up eyeshadow primers with paint pots to prevent creasing (otherwise, bye bye eyeshadow). So a paint pot is a staple in my makeup drawer, with Painterly getting the most use because it's the most natural looking on me.

It's thick and matte and pinky beige. Slightly too dark to blend into my natural skin color (I'm around a NC15), but this is never really noticeable, especially with added eyeshadow and highlight in my inner corners.

My biggest problem is that it makes my eyelids look dry on the normally soft inner portion of my lids, right above my lashes. Again though, it's not very noticeable and eye shadow helps blend out everything nicely.

Now if only it wasn't so expensive :/

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by addikted

Paintpot in Painterly VS Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place eyeshadow base:

PP more opaque, more solid base
EL feels silky and blends out almost to invisible

PP gives eyeshadows lots and lots of punch, colour payoff increases tenfold. This is my favourite way to use PP. Everything is more vibrant and stays colour true.
EL does this to a much lesser degree, yes colours look more pronounced, but nothing like PP.

PP spreads easily, little goes a long way, hard to overdo or underdo the amount and will still get a good finish.
EL goes on nicely but - for me anyway -- seems to 'ball up' if umm overworked for need of a better word.

PP can show creases but and again I speak from my own experience here, this has a lot to do with the application of eyeshadows placed over PP. Trial and error (hardly error..) will show you which e/s and brushwork is best for combinations. Some I find PP is best to sit and dry for a few minutes. Others I say get cracking and buff it in!
EL does give me crepey looking lids that make me look like I have granny lids at times..boo!!

PP on it's own makes my lids look refreshed and even, like skin without any dark shadowy tinge or redness.
EL on it's own doesn't really do much at all..it just tends to emphasize creases or crepey skin - well ok it is an improvement but you can do better with even MAC Llama eyeshadow to give a bare but even look.

PP wins hands down for me. But keep in mind how I have used both. I think I'm going to give the EL a test run with liquid eyeliners and wet/dry liners only and see how they hold up. Will update after tested properly work and play, night and day, sun and none.

Thought this might be helpful to those if you, who like me, wondered how the two compare.
I have owned both for ages and I would buy PP again but not EL, at least not at full price.

PP lipstick rating comments: this lasts for ages, would repurchase, love the glass and black packaging typical of MAC but tis heavy for traveling, good size opening for fingers or brushes if you prefer, one lippy off for price though cost per use is minimal so good value after initial outlay and considering it's amazing flexibility in my makeup repertoire, it's not so bad.

This is one of those products that until you use it, you wonder what the fuss is about. I was hooked from the moment a MUA at MAC showed me how to get some eyeshadows I owned to really pop - purples, greens especially look to die for. Some of my light, sheer nudes also take on a new look with PP underneath. It is a multitasking hero. I am tempted to try this as concealer around edges of my nose in winter even..but I have other products that work fine for that, I think it's worth testing a product to it's limits and I'm sure I've only just touched the surface of this little pot of genius stuff. HG status, because it makes everything else work so much better! Get a e/s with not much colour pay off, put this under and voila! Experiment and enjoy this Paintpot, I do.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by jella22

this product does deserve some recognition ! as someone who has not tried ALOT of eye primers and therefore, does not have anything to compare this product too, I find that it does the job..and it does it well !! I have had the same pot for quite some time and I do find that it hardens quite a bit over time (not sure if this is common or just mine), but it still is decent. also, for anyone with long nails this can be very annoying !!! other than that, I do often where this alone on my eyes (no eye shadow) and I have received several compliments (my skin is nc20) - it just provides a nice smooth surface for eyeliner ! not sure if I will repurchase but worth giving it a shot !

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ktcolt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

As I have aged I notice my eyelids are a wee bit more oily than in my younger years. I like how when I remember to use this, it keeps my eyeshadow from creasing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!!

No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try others sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot haha