August 28, 2014 | 1039 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by palepp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love and NEED MAC paint pots.

I'm one of those people who have to double up eyeshadow primers with paint pots to prevent creasing (otherwise, bye bye eyeshadow). So a paint pot is a staple in my makeup drawer, with Painterly getting the most use because it's the most natural looking on me.

It's thick and matte and pinky beige. Slightly too dark to blend into my natural skin color (I'm around a NC15), but this is never really noticeable, especially with added eyeshadow and highlight in my inner corners.

My biggest problem is that it makes my eyelids look dry on the normally soft inner portion of my lids, right above my lashes. Again though, it's not very noticeable and eye shadow helps blend out everything nicely.

Now if only it wasn't so expensive :/

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by addikted

Paintpot in Painterly VS Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place eyeshadow base:

PP more opaque, more solid base
EL feels silky and blends out almost to invisible

PP gives eyeshadows lots and lots of punch, colour payoff increases tenfold. This is my favourite way to use PP. Everything is more vibrant and stays colour true.
EL does this to a much lesser degree, yes colours look more pronounced, but nothing like PP.

PP spreads easily, little goes a long way, hard to overdo or underdo the amount and will still get a good finish.
EL goes on nicely but - for me anyway -- seems to 'ball up' if umm overworked for need of a better word.

PP can show creases but and again I speak from my own experience here, this has a lot to do with the application of eyeshadows placed over PP. Trial and error (hardly error..) will show you which e/s and brushwork is best for combinations. Some I find PP is best to sit and dry for a few minutes. Others I say get cracking and buff it in!
EL does give me crepey looking lids that make me look like I have granny lids at times..boo!!

PP on it's own makes my lids look refreshed and even, like skin without any dark shadowy tinge or redness.
EL on it's own doesn't really do much at all..it just tends to emphasize creases or crepey skin - well ok it is an improvement but you can do better with even MAC Llama eyeshadow to give a bare but even look.

PP wins hands down for me. But keep in mind how I have used both. I think I'm going to give the EL a test run with liquid eyeliners and wet/dry liners only and see how they hold up. Will update after tested properly work and play, night and day, sun and none.

Thought this might be helpful to those if you, who like me, wondered how the two compare.
I have owned both for ages and I would buy PP again but not EL, at least not at full price.

PP lipstick rating comments: this lasts for ages, would repurchase, love the glass and black packaging typical of MAC but tis heavy for traveling, good size opening for fingers or brushes if you prefer, one lippy off for price though cost per use is minimal so good value after initial outlay and considering it's amazing flexibility in my makeup repertoire, it's not so bad.

This is one of those products that until you use it, you wonder what the fuss is about. I was hooked from the moment a MUA at MAC showed me how to get some eyeshadows I owned to really pop - purples, greens especially look to die for. Some of my light, sheer nudes also take on a new look with PP underneath. It is a multitasking hero. I am tempted to try this as concealer around edges of my nose in winter even..but I have other products that work fine for that, I think it's worth testing a product to it's limits and I'm sure I've only just touched the surface of this little pot of genius stuff. HG status, because it makes everything else work so much better! Get a e/s with not much colour pay off, put this under and voila! Experiment and enjoy this Paintpot, I do.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by jella22

this product does deserve some recognition ! as someone who has not tried ALOT of eye primers and therefore, does not have anything to compare this product too, I find that it does the job..and it does it well !! I have had the same pot for quite some time and I do find that it hardens quite a bit over time (not sure if this is common or just mine), but it still is decent. also, for anyone with long nails this can be very annoying !!! other than that, I do often where this alone on my eyes (no eye shadow) and I have received several compliments (my skin is nc20) - it just provides a nice smooth surface for eyeliner ! not sure if I will repurchase but worth giving it a shot !

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ktcolt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

As I have aged I notice my eyelids are a wee bit more oily than in my younger years. I like how when I remember to use this, it keeps my eyeshadow from creasing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!!

No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try others sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot haha

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Really liking this product so far. I use it as a general base for my Stila In the Light e/s palette and it does help the colour to stay for a good 10 hour day.
The colour is nothing remarkable, just a pinky/neutral light beige. I did previously have a paint pot in Bare Study which I realised was clashing with my matte e/s's (of course) and was creasing due to the frost.
I've definately found this one much better as a base.
The only issue is that these are in pots (which I guess is the best way to probably store them) however I hate when they start to dry out and come away from the sides of the pot. They start to become harder to work with, and take a little more effort to melt onto the skin, but it's still useable. This hasn't happened to my painterly yet, but it did with the Bare Study.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by PotatoGemm

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Best eye primer I've ever used, I don't get creased and horrible smudging with my eye shadows anymore. A little goes a long way and it evens out and smooths my eye lid so it's prepped and primed for some eye shadow fun! I have oily eyelids so this definitely takes away that oiliness, and uneven skin tone one my eyelids. Eye shadows blend so easily over the top of this, I would say be careful how much you use though; too much and it could cause creasing. Packaging is a meh, I find it does tend to dry out a little in the pot, so I like to turn mine upside down to reduce that. I'm so glad I invested in this, makes my life a lot easier. Thank you, MAC!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Herome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this product as an eyeyshadow base and it works perfectly. It evens out my skin and makes other colors stand out more. It creases only slightly at the end of the day (I have slightly oily eyelids) but it's not too bad. Also it lasts forever and doesn't dry out quickly (I have mine for over a year and still going strong :) )

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by gunc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Let me say that it will not work if you have super oily eyelids. It will work on moderately oily ones though.

I have moderately oily eyelids and this looks very drying at the time of application(it is not drying, just looks so matte), but at the end of the day, looks nice, not creased, not oily not dry either. Just great. I don't use it as a base under another eyeshadow, so I don't know how it would work then. I just apply painterly on my lids, use black liner and mascara on top.

One day I had just applied my night-time antioxidant moisturizer (a few drops of pure organic avocado oil, which I use around eyes too-MUA reviews say it helps with fine lines). And suddenly I had to go out, so I just swiped some of this on my lids and went ahead. When I returned, I was frustrated to see there were huge lines of painterly settled in my fine lines. And I cannot emphasize how little avocado oil I use. I use so little that I have trouble blending it to my whole face. I guess my skin's own oils combined with the added oil, turned my eyelids from moderately oily to super oily, and created that horrible look. So I learned never to apply it on top of any sort of eye cream, serum whatsoever.

Another point is, painterly is best when applied with fingertips. I do not ever recommend using a brush, any brush at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:05:00 AM More reviews by sarah0711

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE this! All of the reviews on here pretty much say it all. This stuff is the perfect colour to use on my eye lids to even out my discoloured eye lids and it even covers up the veins on my lid as well. Eye shadow applies smoothly over the top and this stuff improves colour pay off on any shadow I use plus it prevents creasing, or I can just wear it on it's own and it gives me a fresh and naturally 'awake' look. A little goes along way so while it is expensive to purchase it will last forever!