August 31, 2014 | 979 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Kalahari Duo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2008 3:24:00 AM More reviews by glossedup

*****CLICK 'CONTINUED' FOR PRODUCT PICTURES****

When I first received the much-touted NARS Kalahari last week, I think I had too-high hopes. With all the raves this duo has gotten, from warm and cool-toned girls alike, you'd think that this is some kind of fairydust pressed into a rubbery compact. Well, I hate to say it - but it's not all that.

First released as part of NARS fall '07, and now part of the regular line, Kalahari is a split-pan of neutral shades, weighing 0.14oz. The packaging is typical of NARS - rubbery outside and hard plastic inside. Hate the rubber, shadow dust and sparkles stick to it like nothing else, so two point off for packaging.

The two neutral shadows are a warmer, golded bronze and the other is a neutral/cool toned light taupe. The taupe has more of a grey than silvery cast, and in certain lights can have slight plummy qualities. Both are shimmery, but definitely not OTT - these colours are very worksafe. Texture is nothing short of stellar, buttery soft and so blendable I almost don't need a blending step! I'm going to say that the gold, left colour is like a less orange/brown version of MAC Woodwinked, with a more subdued shimmer. In artificial warm light swatched, I see a light pink sheen to it that I love.

The main problem I see with this duo is that I don't like to use it as a duo. On me (C3/NC25, AAB w/ yellow undertones, MUFE 2 in winter) they can become almost too similar in colour. Sure, I can still see a difference on the eye, but I'd have fallen in love even more with it had the taupey side just been a tad darker, or the goldy side a bit lighter. I still use it as a duo, but I usually add a bit of MAC Moth Brown for a bit more definition.

Price is fairly decent for high end - 4.2g for two shadows, roughly $15 apiece. I would probably rebuy this.

I am NC25 (Studio Fix), C3 (MAC Face & Body), 30 (Chanel), 2 (MUFE Face & Body, winter) & OC02 (Lunasol Intellectual Powder foundation, winter)

In cool light

In warm light continued >>

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Espie1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this duo! It gives me drop dead beautiful (brown) eyes. Very happy with my first eye duo, I'm looking to buy more duos from Nars.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 8:11:00 AM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love, love, love this product! I have been thrilled with the NARS line in general, and this is my first eyeshadow purchase from the line and I am in love. Kalahari is a slightly warm fawn beige color with a bit of golden sheen, and a taupe with a dove grey sheen on my pale skin and blue eyes. Absolutely gorgeous, and not muddy at all. Very easy to apply for someone with little time to worry about precise application and blending, and gave me a very finished look that I could have walked right out of the house with in a minute or less. Thrilled to pieces with this, and will definitely be looking to purchase more shadows from this line.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2007 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Landscape_babe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great shadow for days that you are in a hurry and want a foolproof look. I looks lovely with the Nars Luster blush that came out for Holiday 2007.The colors neutral and pair well with other shadows.
They look beautiful paired with Albotross highlighter ( also Nars ) on the browbone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2007 12:03:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I love this duo! It's the perfect everyday eye look for me. There is a neutral, light bronze/metallic fawn (there's a hint of rose here) color. I brush this shade all over the lid and up into the crease. The other color is a matte grayish taupe, neutral-to-warm. I use the latter shade in the crease, then blend, add black mascara and a champagne highlighter (Becca Hyawatha) to the brow bone and get a beautiful, natural look that really makes my dark eyes stand out. By which I mean: these colors are sheer and muted enough that you notice my eyes and not my eye makeup, which is exactly how it should be.

If I want a bit more drama, I add more of the taupe side to the crease and outer V, blend a bit less than usual, then add a dark brown liner (NARS Bengali applied dry with a stiff brush for a softer, romantic look, or Jordana's Color Xtend pencil in Morning Coffee for more definition).

This duo never makes me look tired (even on mornings when I'm otherwise washed out and drawn from staying up late working) nor does it look dirty against my light-warm complexion as some browns and taupes can do, nor is it ever too shiny and obvious against my complexion (as All About Eve can do sometimes--Ghost is completely right about this working as an equivalent for warmer/slightly darker skintones). Neutral perfection! I've been wearing Kalahari almost non-stop since I got it. Love, love, love!
continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2007 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Cindyrella1212

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with Ghost's review below--the colors are not very different from each other but they blend to make a very pretty polished eye. The gold shade is a bit misleading--it's a dark gold on me, and the chocolate has a bit of bronze in it. The first time I tried this, I thought it was too dark on me, but my DD and her friends noticed and "oohed and ahhed" and told me they loved it. That was endorsement enough for me--it's hard to get a compliment from a teenager! Most NARS duos have a matte side and shimmery side, both in this duo they are both shimmery. A real winner! Took a lippie off for NARS packaging--hate the rubber!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2007 11:39:00 PM More reviews by pilotpickles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The biggest waste of money for me. The colors look beautiful in the pan, rosy copper and plummy taupe, but they morph on my green eyes to muddy bruises. The silky texture is nice, but pigmentation is poor on me. I have tried NARS before, so I should have known better, but its too late for me. But at least I can warn you. Take those hard earned dollars and buy some Laura Mercier, Tarte, UD, Paula Dorf, BB or even MAC. Hell, even WNW would be better quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2007 6:46:00 PM More reviews by gna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice duo of medium-toned neutrals, but not exciting colors. I find that the metallic finish of this duo accents a bit of the dryness on my lids, but no big deal. The colors are pigmented, so worth buying if you don't have metallic neutrals, but I don't reach for mine often.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2007 8:45:00 AM More reviews by ghost

Excellent alternative to AAE for girls with darker skintones who it refuses to show up on. Its not the same as AAE but it gives a beautiful almost natural look for anyone over NC30. The colors arent that far off from each other, but they blend nicely and are quite shimmery. This is a great everyday go to shadow duo.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2007 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Gumah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my first shadow duo from NARS. I was intrigued by this duo because on my very light green eyes the only color that really looks good on them is taupe. So, I meandered over to the NARS counter at my local Nordstroms a few weeks ago to have a look and the MA immediately sat me down in her chair to show me how these colors would look on me. She brushed the lighter color all over and then the more taupe color in my crease and outer v. It was stunning. Today, I am wearing just the taupe color on my lid and it's really beautiful. The pigment is great and so far no creasing. The lighter gold side I have not yet played with but its swatches very beautifully. I have a feeling I will be getting a lot of usage out of this duo and I highly recommend it.