GHD IV Styler (all sizes)

ummm ceramic duahhh

So i bought my GHD as part of the urban angel set for $230 at Sephora on Feb 2010, and last night it died on me. I was devastated! Don't get me wrong, it died because i tried using it to depot mac e/s (stupid i know!) and i think it overheated due to the foil.
i have to say though as a hair iron, GHD rocks my world. It seriously is the BEST hair iron out there, it straightens my hair like no other. I've used a lot of cheap hair irons since I've started caring about how i looked and man, there's just no comparing them.
I have straight asian hair but it gets so frizzy and poofy especially after it's been freshly washed even after I've blow dried it, the GHD just smooths it and makes it all shiny, silky, and soft. I don't really use any products on my hair (i try to avoid putting gunk on my hair as much as possible) except to the Moroccan Oil and I'm telling you i for the 11 months that I've used it i never developed split ends! Also after I've straightened my hair and went on with my day, (even after rolling around in bed sleeping) my hair is still nice, smooth, and silky straight the next day. I don't really have to do anything except run the GHD through it quickly before going out (i put up my hair in a ponytail and in a shower cap when i shower again so it gets crimped a little from the hair tie).
I'm glad that for as expensive the GHD is, it comes with a 2 year warranty. So when it died on me yesterday, (after panicking for an hour!!!) i went online to get the GHD customer service number and called them. They were very nice and helpful and i just told them that it won't turn on anymore and i told them that I've only had it for 11 months. They told me to bring it back to Sephora with proof of purchase and they should replace it with a new one because of the 2 year warranty, if not, they said to call them back and they would send me a form and after they would send me a new one within 14 days. So off i went to Sephora and they happily replaced it for me! I'm so happy now and all is right in my world again. I hope this review will help someone who's considering on getting a GHD, it's totally worth the money. think of it as an investment that would last you a long time [just don't use it for depotting e/s! i know that was stupid and I'm still smacking myself for doing it even if i had a gut feeling that it was a bad idea >:( ].
p.s. the Ghd customer service person also told me that with the replacement iron, you get a whole new 2 year warranty with receipt. hope this helps!

I love this straightener!!! it has really changed my hair for the better, it is soo soft and silky now.

on 1/24/2011 3:03:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

This is the best hair straightener EVER! Enough said!! You can even make gorgeous waves and curls with it. Got my baby IV Styler a couple days ago and I love it! It's soo worth the price!! :D

on 1/21/2011 6:57:00 AM

The only reason I wouldn't buy this again is because I won't have to: four years in, and it's still going strong. Or it would be if it wasn't in a different country (different voltages in Asia *sob*).

AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. I'm British and this is a British brand, I think, and every hairdresser worth their salt has one in the UK. Has done for the last eight or nine years, as far as I know: everyone I've been to anyway. And every single one says "this is the best hair straightener in the world".

So: heats up quickly, leaves hair smooooooth and shiny and STAYS that way until the next wash.

BUT BUT BUT - and here's the best bit. My hairdresser taught me how to "style" with it as well, and you will honestly never need curlers again. To make "beach waves", run the straightener down the hair to make it smooth. Then run it down again, slowly. After an inch or so, bend the barrel 180 degrees and slide it down another inch, then bend it THE OTHER WAY and slide it down another inch. Repeat to the end. If you want BIGGER waves, leave it two inches or three inches before you bend it. Smaller waves? Less. I tried this SO many times - just bend my hair with it and coming out with nothing at all - before I realised you have to PULL it along the hair while it's bent at 180. That's what gives it the curl. Gives you perfect, wavy, smooth, shiny hair.

And curls? Does them too. You know how you get a bit of ribbon, and then the blade of a pair of scissors, and sort of turn it on the edge and slide it along the whole of the ribbon and it curls? Do the same to your hair with the GHD. Hairdresser showed me this one too. Curls it exactly the same. And it's smooth, controllable curls: bigger or smaller depending on how tight you do it (as with the ribbon).

Honestly - you actually never need another styling product again (apart from a hairdryer, and if you want to you can use this on natural dry hair. Wouldn't advise it on wet hair though because it gets REALLY hot and will snap it).

Straight, waves, curls: all of the above. Lasts forever, looks amazing. Light and easy to travel with. Worth every penny.

Oh, and I don't know what the deal is now in the UK but they have seasonal specials. Normally it's black, but they did a gold one a while ago, and a pink one for Breast Cancer.

It upsets me hugely that it won't plug into the voltage levels in Japan. :(

on 1/21/2011 4:58:00 AM

So I know most of you guys have seen or heard about the GHD hair straighteners and are probably like "260$ for a hairstraightener? WTH??" But trust me this is well worth the money, and it's deffinatly a big splurge but you get what you pay for and this just proves it. And if you don't want to spend the money just ask for it as birthday present or christmas. That's exactly what I did:] So it was two days before my birthday and my lovely boyfriend took me to the watertower to pick out a gift for me, and we went into sephora and I saw the GHD dazzle gift set which comes with a really adorable black case with glitter and a bow, and you get the mini hairdryer with it also. And of course you get your beautiful GHD hair straightener. And right then I knew I had to have it, since I saw so many people rave about it on youtube and I thought that is way too much to pay for a hair straightener, especially since my hair is already naturally straight with some wave to it. But seeing it at sephora made me change my mind.It just looked so sleek and polished and expensive. Not too mention I was gonna just get a bunch of makeup but instead decided to get this since it's definatly a good investment and will last me for quite some time. So my boyfriend bought me the GHD and we got to my house and I imiedietly plugged it in and I was amazed at how quickly it heated up; 30 seconds!! that's fast and I used it on my hair and it looked amazing. So shiny and silky as if I just came back from the salon. Seriously this makes any dull hair look so beautiful, like the name GHD states you will truely have a GREAT HAIR DAY when you use this. And now it's been 3 months since I got it and everytime I use this, I feel like my hair just goes from ok to beautiful. It's truely amazing, and my boyfriend who is usually very skeptical about splurging on makeup and hair stuff uses it and loves it as well. I love everything about this hair straightener and recommend it 100% I don't think I would ever replace my GHD with any other

on 1/8/2011 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Use this to curl my very straight Asian hair. Don't need to go into too much detail as this is a product I'll love and all my friends love it too. Heats up quickly (180 degrees I think the newer models go upto - which is better IMO), nice and sleek although I've loving the new colours that are out... and perfect for curling. So quick and easy to use. Everyone, if you are unsure what to get just go the safe option and get the GHD.

on 1/3/2011 1:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I am biracial and my hair is naturally very thick and curly. I chemically straighten it but there is still some curls/waves to it so I have to straighten it every time I wash my hair (once a week). The GHD does get my hair nice and straight, however, it comes at a price. GHD's are incredibly hot and they do damage the hair. The price I pay for straightening my hair with GHDs is dryness, split ends and general damage. Notice that I only used the straightners once a week yet they still really damaged my hair. I don't get this with my other ceramic straighteners because they do not get as hot as these. I was sick of the damage GHDs caused my hair, so now I only use it to straighten my bangs. Since stopping using them on all of my hair, my hair is now much more healthy and not split at all. I've burnt myself 2 times with my GHDs and both times I had to go to hospital...I burnt my thumb back in my early teens which formed a massive blister that burst, bled, and got infected. Second time I burnt my ear and the same thing happened. So be really careful because man, these GHDs are HOT! But I do like that the GHD keeps my hair straight for a long time and stops humidity affecting my hair as much. I'll only use this on special occasions.

on 1/3/2011 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I love my hair, I really do, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to handle. I am african american with a full head of thick, tightly coiled hair that is not relaxed. Nope, I'm 100% natural. My hair's dry and frizzy and I generally keep it held back in a bun because it's so much to deal with.

I've always wanted shiny, straight, soft hair and have tried every hair product/tool known to man. Sedu, Chi, Babyliss they all left something to be desired - either they fried my hair or didn't get it straight enough. I finally found GHD and I think it's the one I've been waiting for - true hair love! My hair is bone straight as I type this. It's soft and so shiny you could see your reflection in it! There are a few tricks to acheiving this look however - here's what I've found...
1. Make sure your hair is of course freshly washed and deep conditioned - but also trimmed! I tried the GHD once and my ends didn't get as straight as I would have liked, so I trimmed them and tried again. The difference was amazing. My ends are perfectly straight now.

2. Of course use a heat protectant spray or serum (I like the IC Fantasia - it's cheap and really works). But beyond that use as little product as you can get away with. You definitely want some kind of leave in conditioner - but save the oils and oily creams - they'll only way down your hair and you won't get that swingy, bouncy hair we all crave.

3. Use a rat tail comb to guide the iron through your hair in it's coarsest places. This detangles the hair allowing the iron to touch each strand and do it's job.

4. Skip the curling iron and make your curls with the ghd. This will save your hair even more heat damage, plus this iron makes great curls that really last.

Just remember if you're going to use heat tools on your hair (no matter what brand) you have to take really good care of your hair. Regular trims, deep condition at least once a week (for girls with my type of hair), moisturize like crazy and treat your hair like it's gold. Then let the Ghd do the rest!

on 12/30/2010 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have super thick, frizzy, long, curly hair. Before i got my GHD I was blow-drying my hair and THEN staigthening it, and even then it never held. But then I got my GHD and I just left my hair air-dry, and i get my hair done in about 20 minutes... it works absolute wonders and almost changes the texture of my hair. THE best straightener out on the market!

on 12/10/2010 10:59:00 AM

Excellent quality, works perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Works great on all hair textures giving beautifully shiny, smooth, straight hair. Also curls if you want.