September 30, 2014 | 2134 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2011 8:05:00 AM More reviews by runninshoes

After dying my naturally dark brown hair, well, dark brown to get rid of summer highlights that brought out an orangey color from a past bad salon job, I ended up with black hair. (I used the brand new John Freida foam in black-brown, so I guess I should've known it would turn black.) I have tan skin and brown eyes, but it still looked too jarring and unnatural with my face...especially since my hair is short and falls right around my cheeks...not a good look. I almost chopped off my hair to get back to my natural color quicker, but then I read all about Color Oops. I was desperate to eliminate the harshness of the black, so I went out and paid the $14.99 at CVS. The smell wasn't as bad as everyone said. It smells less harsh than a perm. My husband didn't even notice the smell when he got home from work. The rinsing was the worst. I ended up sitting in my shower so I didn't pass out around the 15 minute mark, because I was starting to feel woozy. After all the steps were complete, my hair was a rich brown color, but with a slight orangey-red look to it. The color is even throughout--no brass roots, etc, but I really wish my hair was just brown without the red stuff. (Don't get me wrong...when I say orangey-red, it's BARELY there and predominantly brown.) I read in a review below that a toner can take the oranges and reds out, so I MIGHT try that. All said and done, I prefer my Color Oops color far over the too harsh black. It is less jarring and stands out far less than the black. Now, if I could just get back to my natural brown, I'd never touch hair color again! p.s. My hair is in just fine shape after the Color Oops...perhaps because I don't use many heating tools and don't usually dye my hair. It's healthy still.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by megrome

A few months ago, I tried to dye my hair dark brown but it turned out jet black. I liked it during the winter months but wanted to go lighter during the summer so I tried Color Oops. My hair is longer and thick so I bought 2 boxes for approx. $20. After the treatment, my hair was all strawberry blonde, which was great because my plan was to use a light brown color next. Unfortunately, four days have passed and now my hair is dark, dark brown again...except the roots, which are orange! I have to assume that by only rinsing for 15 minutes instead of the whole 20-30 minutes, I didn't allow it to work as well. I plan to pick up another box and do it right tonight. Hopefully, it will remove the color for good this time!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2011 2:59:00 PM More reviews by larissavienna

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product was great. My hair was dyed medium brown over my bleached hair. I then decided I wanted my hair pink, so I bleached it, and the bleach turned it more-so a dark blonde, so the pink didn't take very well and I wasn't pleased. So I used Color Oops today, only left it on for 20 minutes, washed it out, and my hair is now a very nice shade of dark blonde. I'll be bleaching/redying it pink soon. I'm super pleased with Color Oops. And it doesn't smell as bad as everyone says... kinda smells like a nail salon. Either way, this stuff saved my hair's butt.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by babyta000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It left my hair in the worst condition ever ! didn't do much to the color....

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by speakwithsara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Worked as promised! Lifted semi permanent color while leaving my hair looking great.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2011 9:30:00 PM More reviews by superlemon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After many years of ill-advised hair colors, I decided to let my natural color (light golden brown) grow out, and kept it that way for about five years. But last week, for some reason, I got a bug up my ass to dye my hair again. BAD PLAN. A box of "medium auburn" (lies!!) dye turned my beautiful hair a dark, dark burgundy color. Ugh, it was terrible. In a moment of panic I ran out and got a box of "light amber brown" dye to try and fix it - of course it did nothing, since it couldn't make my hair lighter. I resigned myself to living with the horror my boredom had wrought until I spied a box of Color Oops at the drugstore. A friend had had success with it, and after reading a million reviews online, I decided to try it - couldn't be any worse, right?

I did a strand test beforehand, which is VERY important with this - the directions recommend 20 minutes, but I found that after just 10 minutes it left the strand I tested it on a little lighter than I wanted. So when I finally took the plunge, I only left it on for 8 minutes. If I'd just gone ahead and done the 20 minutes recommended by the directions, I'm pretty sure my hair would be a horrible bleachy orange blonde right now. STRAND TEST!!

Anyway, yes, this stuff stinks. It's awful. It smells like you're smearing your head with rotting sewage. But it's not unbearable. And it's more difficult to apply than hair dye, because it's much thinner. I have very fine, shoulder-length hair, so I didn't even need to use the entire bottle, but I can see people with longer/thicker hair needing more to get it fully saturated. Once my hair was soaked in it, I put on the little cap and let it sit for 8 minutes. When my timer went off, I checked the mirror - my roots were almost blonde. Horror! I jumped in the shower and washed my hair immediately, then rinsed for 15 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, then deep conditioned and rinsed for another couple of minutes. Truthfully, the rinsing is the worst part. You want the water hot, and you're in there for a LONG time. I started to feel sick after a while, and pre-conditioning my hair felt horrible, like matted straw.

When I got out, I wrapped it up in a towel and let it air dry for a while, then checked out the results. IT WORKED. It's not back to my natural color, exactly, but it's a damn sight closer. It's like my natural light brown, but with a bit more red in it. I was afraid my roots would be super super light, but while they are a bit lighter, they're not the scary blonde I was expecting. My hair feels a bit dry and my scalp feels kind of weird, but I think that's really 50% Color Oops and 50% standing under a piping hot shower for 30 minutes and washing my hair 5 times in a row. It's a rough process - nothing I'm eager to repeat - but it was worth it, because it got rid of the dreadful dark dye and brought me a lot closer to my natural color without having to resort to bleach. I know a lot of people need to re-dye afterward to cover up the results of Color Oops, which is understandable, but I don't - probably because I had virgin hair before my dye disaster. And while I do feel like it damaged my hair a little bit, I do have very fine hair to start with, and it's nothing a few good conditioning treatments won't fix.

So that's my experience with Color Oops. Unpleasant but effective in your hair's time of need. I'd use it again if I needed to, but I think I've learned my lesson for now.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by LuluPow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Used Color Oops a couple of days ago. It worked well in lifting my old color out about 2 levels. It was easy to apply. I followed the directions exactly; left it on the full 20 minutes. Then did the full wash out/rinse process for another 20 minutes??!!! YIKES! The smell of Color Oops is horrific. Not so bad going on, but after when you rinse and the next day, the smell just won't go away. Even my bathroom smells. I guess it's stuck in the plumbing. Nasty. This morning to help with the smell I rinsed it MORE and then used clear vinegar (mixed in water). This seems to have helped some. I'm going to do this a few more times and hopefully the disgusting rotten egg smell will go away.

My hair does not feel or look dried out. Still shiny. So I would recommend it, but be prepared for the smell!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 5:06:00 PM More reviews by jodya5342

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Did alot of research before using this product. I have waist length hair and have been using L'oreal Healthy Look 6G. The last time the hair took up too much of the red. The Color Oops removed color the equivalent of 1 step lighter at the ends, where it has been colored more, and 3 steps at the roots. It took out all of the red. You can recolir the safe day but make sure you condition very well.
Recommendations: use as directed and leave on the ENTIRE 20 minutes. Go at least 2 steps lighter than you want when you recolor. It really does take up alot of the color and will end up being too dark if you are not careful. The odor was not nearly as bad as I expected. I would certainly use the product again if I felt the need.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by schoenl

Color Oops WILL remove too much or unwanted hair color. If your hair was colored before the latest "oops", it will also remove that color, leaving you most likely with yellow-y, orange-y, and somewhat uneven hair that in most cases will require additional coloring to be transformed into something pretty;-) At this point you have two choices:

1) Immediately (possibly wearing a hat?) go to a professional salon, explain what happened, and let THEM do the job with demi-permanent color of your choice. I recommend to ask the stylist to treat your hair with a protein filler before coloring it, or better yet, do it at home right after “color oops”. This is a foolproof way of getting preferred hair color and saves you quite some money, since this isn't a "correction" anymore, but a single process dye job.

2) At home - If you are coloring your hair yourself, you HAVE to have a “Neutral Protein Filler” (sally's, amazon). Use it as a leave-in conditioner BEFORE a hair dye job. The filler will restore the structure of your hair, so subsequently applied color will grab on evenly. The treatment also helps covering grey, avoid the "hot root" effect, and overly processed ends. I apply this treatment even before professional dye treatments. I am really, really pleased with the results! Less damage, better color, no oversaturation. For those going brunette: Use a NEUTRAL shade (to avoid too much red) of a medium/dark blond or light brown demi-permanent hair color or hair gloss. Put protein treatment in your hair, wait 20 min., don't rinse!!! TIP for those fearing too much red - buy the "UNRED" drops (Ricky's, Sally's, Amazon). Add a few drops (following the instructions) to the color mix, this will take care of the unwanted red. After putting the color mix on your roots, massage it through the rest of your hair, let it sit for 5-10 min. max! This should be enough time for the color to grab. Rinse, wash, rinse, deeply condition, style. Voilà, your new color!

Other tip based on experience:
If your hair turned very light and you want to go to a deeper brown shade, you want to use a double process. First you color with a light strawberry blonde/light golden blonde, after that you color with a neutral shade of medium/dark blonde/light brunette. This will give your hair a nice dimension and add gloss. You probably will still end up on a "warmer" side.

UPDATE: 9/1/2011 -- What a life and money saver! I am truly amazed by this product... Earlier today, I toned down my brassy looking summer highlights in my light brown hair with Garnier Nutrisse Light Natural Brown.. After barely 10 min my hair was oversaturated, dark brown with a purply tint to it.. Ouch!! Oops! Big OOPS! Well, I ran to the drugstore, got "ColorOops", did the routine, followed up with a protein filler for 30 min, did not rinse, colored my hair this time with Carnier Nutrisse Medium Natural Blonde for like 2-3 minutes... OMG, best color ever... Turned out very natural, sunkissed darkish blond with my highlights still showing, NO BRASS!!!.. very rosie huntington-whiteley-like.. Hair is despite the torture of the last 2 hours very soft and very shiny.. Ca$h factor: 15$ for 2x hair color + 12$ for ColorOops = 27$ (still less than any coloring job at the salon) Life experience= priceless;-) Thanks ColorOOPs, you saved my hair, yet again.

17 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 11:47:00 AM More reviews by gabprg

I had 'Special Effects' hair dye in my hair. After I opened the pack and was reading the instructions, I realized they are saying that it will not work on bright colour dyes. Since I already had it, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I did everything as per the instructions but there was no change. I am not blaming the product at all but wanted everyone to be aware of this fact. Do not use Oops to remove 'Special Effect' hair dye.