October 31, 2014 | 1405 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by lahenderson

This is it, go out and purchase it immediately! I always use MUA but this is the best product I've ever used on my hair and felt compelled to write about it. I have dark blonde hair that I bleach, darken and then bleach again way more often than I should. My hair was super sticky and dry and I could barely get my fingers through it during and after washing it. I have hard water and use Joico clarifying shampoo so my hair is also pretty beat up after that.

I didn't wash my hair first but dampened it using a spray bottle of water and then combed through it. I put the first packet on and it's not too bad but I'm not too sensitive to smell. I then sat in front of my space heater until it hardened. Make sure you let it harden completely. I then got in the shower and stood there with the water hitting it until it became soft again. At that point I smothered the moisturizer on and put some Joico moisture conditioner on it as well. Rinsed it out after 10 minutes or so and then went to bed.

Enter day two...beautiful, SOFT, healthy hair! I had breaking pieces around my face and now they just look like short pieces instead of ragged and fried.

Go get this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 1:40:00 AM More reviews by StarfighterLily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The single best thing I've ever found for repairing damaged hair. Smells bizarre during the treatment but worth it. Have a stylist who has a hot hair dryer put it on for you, gently pulling through the hair. Don't have them smush the hair even when it's wet... you want it all straight. Then without any bonnet or cotton ... just copious towels, sit under the dryer a long time till the whole head of hair is crispy. You can flop the wet ends up onto the top gently so they can dry. Then wash out (don't shampoo) and immediately apply the moisture pack for a few minutes, and rinse that out. Helps restore fine hair that suffers in processing. (Best thing in the world for bleach issues, I think.)

Don't do it a lot - once or twice a month. Use that moisture pack often, as too much protein also isn't good for your hair and you have to balance that with moisture treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by Chameleon2002

Love love love this stuff! We won't go into what I did to my poor hair that left me with the dry birds nest I had but let it suffice to say that my hair was not happy with me one. little. bit. I researched the reviews about the aphogee treatment and decided to give it a go. If it didn't work I was only out $8 (I bought 2 of the little packets the first time). After I was done with the treatment, my just below shoulder length hair that would take nearly half an hour to dry on a high heat setting now only took 10 minutes. My hair felt light, smooth, and bouncy. Before I did this treatment I couldn't even run my fingers through my hair without it snagging and afterwards I had no problems (except the ends because I needed a trim). After using the balancing conditioner, I still felt that my hair needed more moisture. I absolutely love the generic brand of biolage conditioning balm sold at Sally's. Hard to get out of the bottle but so worth it.
I could care less about the packaging other than this stuff is really runny so I ended up losing half my packet the first time. Many thanks to the reviewer who said they use a spray bottle. I had one of those slap-my-forehead-why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments.
As to the smell that so many people have complained about. Yeah it doesn't smell the greatest but I've used bleach and haircolor that smelled way worse. I've smelled candles and air fresheners that smelled worse.
It is a bit on the pricey side but the bigger bottle should last people with shorter hair quite awhile.
Either way this is great stuff!Just make sure your hair truly needs protein or you may do more harm than good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best protein treatment you can get. The first time I used this it was a total hail Mary pass when my hair was literally melting. It was damaged well beyond what I thought was salvageable, so lacking in protein that when it was wet I couldn't feel individual hairs, just a uniform mush. My hair was still damaged crap after using the treatment, but I STILL HAD HAIR! I wouldn't have been able to save any of it had I used my normal salon protein treatments.
It smells gross and it's a pain to apply, but it works. I've never used another product that could add so much strength and elasticity back to my hair. It's a heavy reconstructor, made for severely damage hair. This shouldn't be used unless you know that your hair problems are due to a lack of protein. This is not a conditioner, and it will not make your hair feel soft and conditioned. If you use this on hair that is lacking moisture it will make it dry and brittle. You need to deep condition after, and you need to continue to condition with a moisturizing conditioner that doesn't contain protein.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 12:22:00 PM More reviews by annemarieke

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

AMAZING!!! This is the best hairproduct I have ever used!
My hair is very fine and I have mishandled it quite a bit: I colour it every 5 weeks, blowdry it, heatstyle it.. As a result it became very dry and frizzy. I have tried everything to make it better but nothing has ever worked for more than a day. I have spend so much money on my hair, it's crazy. But Aphogee two step Treatment has actually transformed my hair. Doing the treatment was drag, drying it took forever, even with my fine hair. But the result is amazing. I can't remember ever having silky hair before. My hair has always been dry, even when I didn't colour or heatstyle it. (But that was in the eighties and having dry frizzy hair was OK back then, those were the days..). But thanks to Aphogee I now have very soft and silky hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Nazareen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay so ladies.. Buy this please!!
Here's some background:
My hair is a natural black brown color and I bleach my roots and tone my own hair to platinum blonde every 4 weeks. My hair was extremely damaged and stawlike.. I could not even run my fingers through it without strands of hair falling out not to mention my rapidly breaking ends!!! So I quickly went to Sally's for some guidance. They recommended Aphogee Two-Step Treatment even mentioning they use it in professional salons.. I thought she was giving me a sales pitch so while in the store I looked up the reviews on MUA.com and was pleased with the reviews. So applying it, I was a but skeptical bc it smelled horrible and couldn't wash it out until it was ROCK hard.. I then blew it dry on my hair to catalyze the protein into my damaged hair. After washing it out with water and conditioner I did my normal blow dry and straighten and I couldn't believe how beautiful my hair was!! It was silky smooth and I could run my fingers through without breakage! It's shiny and beautiful now and my hair is literally thanking me!! Hope this helps ladies :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by khoward0803

I have over-processed, abused blond hair.

For years I have bleached the ever-living crap out of my hair to get it a pretty champagne blond. (I'm a natural dark brunette.) A few months ago, I decided to go natural and dye my hair brown. Of course, about two weeks ago I decided to bleach my hair back to blond. My hair was so damaged that I was actually experiencing chemical breakage. It was a mess.

I read a bunch of reviews on this product and bought it in hopes of strengthening my poor hair. Well, this stuff stinks (literally!) It really does have an awful smell. But good news, it delivers!

I followed the directions super carefully, and my hair is like a whole new head of hair. The two-step protein treatment really put the elasticity and strength back in my hair. I deep conditioned afterwards, and now my hair is as soft as ever. Needless to say, I'm beyond pleased. If you have weak, bleach-damaged hair, give this stuff a try. I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun, and this provides the fastest results. This will be my go-to pre-bleach treatment from now on.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by jammer72

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair did NOT like this. My hair was in terrible condition after using Sebastian Cellophanes. I had lots of breakage and dryness from that so really needed a restorative treatment. Bought and applied this per instructions and my hair was not a smidge better. Maybe worse now! Still dry, frizzy and breaking off. Do not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2012 4:41:00 AM More reviews by oddelabop

I bought this product, as being a member of the LHC it is recommended by a few members- Also I am slightly obsessed with the upkeep of my hair.

Quick description of my hair, hip-length blonde hair which is in good conditions but I use highlights - no bleach - but colour every 2 months or so on the roots.

I have previously used the 2-minute Keratin reconstructor. So I thought I'd give this a whack particularly after reading the many many reviews on this product.

I was a bit hesitant as some people said that the condition of their hair afterwards was even worse and drier after using it, which made me slightly nervous. So on top of this i bought the condtioner recommended, Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner and also this weird morroccan argan hair oil mask thing.

So everyone seems to complain about how the smell of this stuff is like rotten eggs and how messy it is. I can honestly say it wasn't that messy to apply and nor did it smell like rotten eggs. It smelt like chemicals, but nothing that was gonna burn the insides of your nose off! So yes - I then dried it with the hair drier as stated. And as someone else put on the reviews, my hair didn't go rock solid - just felt like i had absolutely overdosed on mousse and gel products.

After that - i washed it out and i have to say it came out very easily. The product i could tell was lasting in my hair however I did notice that my hair was drier. So I then overloaded on the conditioner dried it off and styled as usual.

Can honestly say, breakage in my hair has reduced and it feels like silk. I would definitely reccommend this product as long as you buy AN INTENSIVE CONDITIONING treatment afterwards. I'll definitely be adding this to my hair regime.

So all in all nowhere near as scary as alot of people claim and definitely worthwhile using!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

My hair was going through an awful time and my hairdresser used this to stop the breaking. That was 3 years ago, and I've been a fan of the product line ever since. Protein treatments are tricky and on hair that is already dry, it can be a death-nail if not used correctly. Having relaxed, color-treated hair which already makes my hair dry, this is not a product I would use at home. However, Aphogee's 2-step protein treatment was my introduction to the Aphogee brand. Since, I have found other wonderful styling products within the rest of the product line that I use at home. I hear Aphogee has been around for ages, however, I had never heard of it until I really needed the help this 2-step protein treatment provided. I'm a fan!