October 31, 2014 | 794 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 4:58:00 PM More reviews by gingertoes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this stuff for, let's see now....about 13 years. The first 7 years in Australia, the last 6 in the UK. I'm a redhead with pale skin and the tint works really well, it covers the redness in my skin a little without covering my freckles. I love that it doesn't smell like sunscreen and settles into a mat finish. This winter my skin has felt dryer than usual and I've found the city block makes my skin feel a little dry by mid-afternoon, but I know it will be fine again when the weather warms up and my skin settles down.

For a 35 year old Aussie redhead who's had her fair share of sun, I think my skin looks pretty good. I have some fine lines around my eyes but most people I meet think I'm in my late twenties. During the day I don't wear foundation, all I need is mousturiser, city block, a little touche eclat under my eyes, and I'm good to go.

One tube lasts me almost 6 months, which is pretty good value for money.

Update - I've started using the SPF 40 version, which feels much the same although maybe a bit runnier and easier to apply.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by anaclaudiaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this at Sephora after asking the lady there to recommend me a daily sunblock. The texture is kind of weird, feels like there's always a little bit of liquid disconected from the actual cream. Although I know that no parfum it's better I wish this had some, because to me it really stinks. I don't know if it's just me, does anybody has these problems?
About the protection and blending I find it ok.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by caradiangela

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'd like to rate this a 4,5 if possible. I use it as a TM, without moisturizer or foundation, and I like a lot about it. Such as the fact that it's fragrance free, has spf 25 and doesn't feel greasy or make my face oily. I think in the summer, the color will be too light for my tanned skin, but for now it blends in quite nice. Evens out my skintone, hides minor imperfections (I have good skin to begin with) and leaves a dewy finish that I like. Also I think it's moisturizing and will maybe be too heavy in warmer weather. But as said, for now I really like it and recommend it! (But beware of the ghosty way you'll appear on picures ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

I do not love this sunscreen, because I do not love any sunscreen, but for all those that I have tried I like this one the best. For some reason, other sunscreens out there break me out. Cystic acne! Clogged pores! Blackheads! Small zits, big zits, medium. You name it. This one will not, however. This sunscreen protects the state of your skin as much as it protects it from the sun. Also, it will not burn your eyes.

I recognize that it is a little difficult to apply and is goopy, streaky, etc etc etc. It does take time to put this stuff on. HOWEVER, it will not destroy your skin the way the other sunscreens will.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 1:50:00 AM More reviews by lawschoolnerd1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used Clinique Superdefense Oily/Combination religiously for over three years, but I started Retin-A Micro in November and my skin began to get very irritated by chemical sunscreens. I looked on Beautypedia and saw that this is a 'Paula's Pick' and contained no chemical suncreens, so I went to Clinique to buy a tube to try it out. The price is decent - I can get 2 tubes of this for less than the price of a single jar of Superdefense. The only thing I don't like about it is that I thought the formula was a bit finnicky at first. It seemed to bunch up over my moisturizer, but this can be eliminated if I just wait about five minutes after putting on my moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Gel). I also use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair under my moisturizer, and this helps to bind my moistuirizer to my skin so it won't interfere with the application of City Block. I can't use ANR at night anymore because it interferes with the absorption of RAM, so using this trick lets me still use ANR and also help City Block apply more smoothly. If anyone on here is in the same or a similar situation, I would definitely recommend these products together, and I would also recommend City Block overall as a good physical sunscreen at a reasonable price. Works great under makeup, too.
NOTE: Application is everything with this product. The most important thing is to NOT go over places again where you have already applied the product. This is when it bunches up. This stuff isn't meant to be "blended" into the face. It is a physical sunscreen that sits on top of the skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by sophiedee

This product should have been great; I loved it when I originally purchased, but it turns out I wasn't using enough to really protect my face from the sun. When I started using a bit more, it started to ball up and come off once the product started drying. Given that it's important to use enough product to actually give you effective sun protection (and I wasn't actually using all that much anyway), this product makes it impossible to use enough to protect your skin. The first time it happened, I thought that maybe it was just the tube. So I bought another one, but same problem. I also got another one free with store points, and same issue, so it's obviously not some anomaly. I have been able to use up most of the product by mixing it 1:1 with a thicker foundation, but it's a hassle and super messy. I won't be buying this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:58:00 AM More reviews by Amruta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen. SPF 25 works well for my Indian skin.

Doesn't feel greasy or sticky.

It acts as a moisture wicking primer for make-up on the face, which I love. I was searching for a good primer and found this for day-to-day wear.

The best part? It can be used under the eyes too - a fantastic base for even application of under eye concealer. Very smooth. And this also means there's more protection from discolouration of the under eye area due to sun exposure.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2011 5:54:00 PM More reviews by kimk89

Ugh im starting think spf is just not meant for me....their either too sticky or too drying for me regardless of the spf factor. I had high hopes for this product though since it is just a light physical sunblock to be applied over my moisturizer. This stuff just left my face feeling super sticky no matter how little i put on :S....like it absorbed well and i loved how light it is. The tint evened out my skin well too... but for some reason it left my face feeling super sticky all day. It absorbed the oil like it claims but i just couldnt get over the sticky feel and i couldnt wait to go home to wash my face. I really wanted to like it but i will not repurchase :(

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by marmaladecat

I'd tried lots of chemical SPF face-creams and got breakouts each time, so I got this on my friend's recommendation.

City Block is a fragrance-free, all-physical SPF which is tinted beige, but when applied blends in brilliantly with my skin tone and really does even it out. It makes my skin look and feel smoother. I don't use primer, but it has the same effect. It stays on really well; when I remove it at night I can see how much has remained on my face. I've had no issues with clogged pores or breakouts from this product.

I haven't had any trouble with pilling like some; I've found that if I pat it into my skin rather than massage it in, it applies evenly and easily.

I use moisturiser under this as I find it is not moisturising enough on its own, but if you have oily skin perhaps this would suffice.

I'm on my third tube now and loving it. I've finally found sun protection which my skin likes-please don't discontinue this, Clinique!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 12:35:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
Doesn't make me break out, not even on my forehead, where I'm prone. Not even after long-term use (over 2 months)
Lighter texture than most sunscreens
Non-sticky/shiny/oily/gummy
Doesn't sting my eyes, irritate contact lenses
No fragrance
Concealer goes on smoothy under the eyes, powder sets without splotches
The tube is small enough to carry around and reapply
Lasts about three months of once-a-day use

Cons:
The tint is pretty light - imperfection coverage is zero
Leaves a metallic tin-man cast which completely disappears about two minutes after application
Is only SPF 25
Tube needs a good bit of shaking before use
Not the best face primer, but not bad
Is meant to come off only with make-up remover

Verdict:
The cons don't bother me too much - I don't need coverage, the SPF is fine and I'm pretty thorough about taking off my makeup with remover every evening. As an everyday sun protection, it's more than adequate. It's really for protecting yourself on the way to work and rushing to a restaurant at lunch, or spending the afternoon in the shade. No fuss, no oil, no mess.
I will repurchase.