December 19, 2014 | 857 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2009 10:26:00 AM More reviews by schadenfreude05

*Note - I am reviewing the Sephora exclusive SPF 45 version of this. What a bummer. This product is such a great idea, but it "peters" out in practice (bwahaha). It's expensive. It's pigmented, which I didn't know and the package didn't state. The powder comes out in asthma-inducing clouds. I don't know how much is supposed to be applied in order to achieve the stated SPF. The cheap brush breaks off with every use, leaving little pieces of black fibers all over your face, very flattering! The base is supposed to retract to pull the brush down so that you can put the cap back on, but every time is a struggle and I worry that the stupid thing is going to explode on me with all my violent pulling. What a waste. It's going back to Sephora (and I am NOT one who returns personal care/makeup products!).

rated 2 of 5 on 4/30/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by marticica888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ugh. I love the idea of this, but nothing comes out through the brush, i cant see whats going on the skin, i dont know if im protected or not, and the brush is harsh and takes off my makeup. * i wear this on top of makeup*. This is going back right to sephora. I might try BE's next or just go back to regular cream sunscreen. blah.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2009 1:55:00 PM More reviews by Jamie5560

I was excited to find a powder sunscreen, as I HATE sunscreen in my moisturizers. I don't care what anyone says, I can tell it's in there. It's greasy, smelly, and I'm fairly certain it contributes to my breakouts. Also, most only contain SPF 15, sorry my friends, that won't do squat for you. Especially since you really need to reapply throughout the day if you are spending any time outside. That said, I don't want to look like a prune in 30 years, so I want to wear something with SPF. This sounded like the perfect option. I can't speak to the protective factor, as of yet, as it has been winter/spring and I've spent most of my time indoors, however the packaging is a joke. What a crappy idea. I'm not sure if mine is defective or what, but based on the other reviews, I think it was just poorly planned. It claims it's portable. But, how the hell do you get the lid back on once taken off? Someone claimed they fixed the design on it, but I can't imagine it being worse than it is now. Once you slide the plastic cover off, your only apparent option is to destroy the brush bristles to put it back on. I thought the brush might retract a little to help with this, however it does not. The only reason I would repurchase is because of my dislike of SPF in my moisturizer, but will definitely be checking to see if there are other option out there by the time I need to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2009 8:47:00 AM More reviews by hyz

Omg, this is the perfect sunscreen for me! it doesn't clog, leave a shine and doesn't contain really bad ingredients. I usually use this before I go out to the sun (I of course do apply another sunscreen below, I was told this doesn't gives enough protection alone and is best used for reapplication and keeping shinies away.) and when my face is shiny. It has a instant mattifying effect without looking powdery.

The only complain I have is the tough brush (it hurts my skin that is on retinol and bha/aha) and the little amount we get for the money we pay. (It cost sg $61) I use this up really fast! But I will continue buying this as long as I can. I like the packaging alot too, it doesn't look too girly for a guy.

It is under my holy grail status for now. (:

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by mochaholic

At first, I loved the idea of a powder sunblock in a portable retractable brush, so that I could easily reapply during the day. After using it on and off for a couple months, I've concluded there is not enough protection and it clogs my pores. Got sunburned after two hours at the beach. If I touched my face mid-day (I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it), I could feel grime on my face and then I would suffer from acne for a couple days after using it.

The quality of the bristles are not good either - not soft and quite sparse. Retractable brushes that dispense product like this are difficult to cleanse thoroughly and will harbor a lot of bacteria and gunk...definitely not good for sensitive or acne-prone skin.

If you plan to carry this around with you, you'll need to carry it in a baggy, because powder will escape the container/brush. Then to top it all off, you'll need to hold your breath when applying or else you might end up inhaling a nice amount of product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2009 4:19:00 AM More reviews by marijean

I have hated every sunscreen I ever tried and been sensitive to most of them--until I found this. Now I'm wearing sunscreen daily for the first time in my life, and for that alone it deserves 4 lippies.

Pros: Good for people with sensitivity to chemical sunscreen, oily skin, or just sunblock phobia. Convenient, quick application--no mirror required.

Cons: Infuriating packaging took weeks to dispense powder consistently and evenly--NOT what you want in the product that is supposed to come between you and the sun. Expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2009 9:42:00 AM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm one of those with very dry, sensitive skin and rosacea and desperate to find a suncreen that doesn't irritate my skin.

Comments:

1.Tocopheryl acetate, an ingredient, is also a skin irritant. It's a form of vitamin E created by combining vitamin E (tocopheryl) with an acid. (Check skin deep cosmetics databases, other databases) TA is frequently used as a preservative.
2. Willowbark, also an ingredient, can be hard on sensitive skin (described on various websites)
3. The powder, containing mica, goes everywhere and it's not a good idea to be inhaling the stuff. Also, it's a pain when it gets on clothes, etc.
4. Zinc, an ingredient, works as a physical block and calms skin but is drying by it's nature--mineral-type applications with zinc as a major ingredient will be drying. (No wonder so many reviewers noted that their face felt tight.)

Why did I try it? Desperation. I need a lot of sun protection and trying to re-apply a liquid sun lotion over mineral make-up is a no go.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2009 2:25:00 PM More reviews by googler123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hate putting sunscreen on my acne prone face and every sunscreen I have ever tried has given me clogged pores or breakouts. PTR powder sunscreen is the best I've used to date. It goes on easily and is practically invisible on my face. There is only a slight tint to it and it blends well with my fair-medium skin tone. I hated the brush applicator that came with it so I bought a regular sifter. I have used this sunscreen while spending 2 hours at the beach the other day and I did not burn. It seems to protect skin the same as sunscreen lotions, but I can't be sure. I put an extra layer of this powder on my face when I know I will be spending a lot of time in the sun. Best of all, it has not led to any clogs or acne.

Update: I stopped using this because it eventually clogged my pores. It might be that titanium dioxide irritates my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this to touch up my sunscreen after lunchtime workouts,without having to remove my makeup and start all over. It didn't take me long to realize that there is no way I could apply enough powder to get the labelled spf 30. At any rate,it would add something, at least. However, this has not worked for me. Upon removing the lid, powder flies everywhere,irritating my contacts. Months of refining my technique haven't solved this. I find the brush to be scratchy and the powder to be less-than-elegant. It is a strictly matte powder, and so those with oilier skin may find that this works for them. This comes in only one shade, a medium, but does not look too noticeable on my PPP skin. While this isn'tworking for me, if you want a totally matte powder with physical sunblock ( and don't mind the mess and scratchies),this may be worth checking out.But if you asked, I wouldn't recommend spending your 30 USD on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2008 10:08:00 PM More reviews by analogem

it's hard to find a powder sunscreen, let alone one that works well! but this is the one i've been looking for.

pros --
major convenience - it's powder form and built-in brush gives the convenience i need.
great protection - it protected me all summer long!
no smell, no shimmer whatsoever... it's just a powder!
you dont need a mirror to do this!
additional benefits - absorbs oil and reduces redness.

cons --
it's hard to tell how much product you put on.
a lot of excess tends to fly everywhere when you pull the cap off, making you feel like you're wasted it.
people kinda look at you funny when you put it on... but i still prefer this than pulling out a bottle of liquid and slathering it on without a mirror.
the brush is harder than makeup brushes, but you get used to it.