September 16, 2014 | 1949 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 8:21:00 PM More reviews by SharonWT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Alright, so I got this because I initially loved Bare Escentuals and my color was medium tan which is cool-toned. I however, am def. not cool-toned. I'm very warm toned. So, I found this and it was friggin awesome. M70 is perfectly warm toned and my shade in the winter.
I love it for that.
DOWNSIDE: just like BE, it does have that sheen. If u look at yourself under natural light or just strong light, you'll see that you look like a disco ball. =( *sigh*. I still use it. lol. I just don't use it when I know I'm going to be with people one on one. You know. For school, when I don't see anyone, it's fine.
A tip would be that you can mix it up with a matte powder to calm that shimmery side of it.
Other than that, I love it.
Other than that, I also love that you get a lot more product for what you pay for compared to BE and the other mineral powders I've come across.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 2:36:00 PM More reviews by meow730

I have been using L60 for three months now and I can say it's the best mineral foundation I have tried. Way better than Everyday Minerals and the rest.

Coverage is good, but the product is very light so it doesn't get cakey.

I use the Kroylan Anti-Shine powder as a primer and finishing powder with this foundation and my skin has never looked better.

The Anti-Shine powder is great for absorbing oil and makes the powder last all day (more than 16 hours).

UPDATE:
The foundation itself is perfect, but I'm sad to say that L60 does not match my light olive complexion. It's too pink to wear in the summer. Maybe I can continue to wear this in the winter when on my face is mostly visible. I do have to say that this does transfer over to clothes, especially collars.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by iread

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best mineral makeup I've tried. I like that I could test the colors first and that there was more than just light, medium, tan & dark to choose from. L60 works best for me. Not too yellow-y or beige-y like so many other brands. I just can't find a liquid foundation that stays or covers the redness on my cheeks, but mineral powders do. I avoid putting it under my eyes, though, because it can settle into lines noticeably. You get a lot of product for your money!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by vitacosmetics

i LOVE LOVE LOVE MNs mineral foundation. I have been using this product for years and have found nothing that compares to the price, quality and quantity. The coverage is perfect, as i had doubts it would give me the coverage i was looking for. To my surprise it was beautiful. I do use a faux sponge to apply it which gives me a creamy flawless look and max coverage. I am prone to breakouts but am confindant that my breakouts are no longer caused by my foundation and like that i have protection from incidential exposure. I get alot of compliments on how well it matches and the beautiful finish it gives me. Most definatly recommend this product to others who are unstatisfied with their current mineral foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 2:14:00 PM More reviews by iluv2dnc210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used tons of other mineral foundations.... they are ssooo expensive for how much you get!!! Merle Normans foundation is a .50oz for $29 comapared to a .20oz for $28... i get wonderful luminous covarage my skin looks healthier... i can put 3 layers on and i dont feel like have makeup on its so light weight... i tend to break out every once and a while.... its nice to be able to cover my acne without looking cake like.... i also LOVE that my face doesn't break out from this makeup.... i also recommend the Foundation Primer it helps it stay on longer and i notice my pores dont show!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by djcz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing makeup, I have tried many minerals BE,Avon,L'Oreal, too many to name. This is by far the best. I wore BE Fairly Light and the Luxiva L20 is very close to the color. The coverage of Luxiva is much better,( I have freckles to cover). Luxiva also does not make my fine lines and wrinkles or pores pop out. The price is great 14 grams for $25.00 BE is $25.00 for 3 grams plus shipping. The store owner at Merle Norman took great care of me. Thanks to MakeupAlley for the reviews on this product or I would not have tried this. I have found my perfect foundation, no more throwing money away looking for the perfect coverage with the natural look of great skin with no freckles showing through.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 3:03:00 AM More reviews by pomegranate3

this is an amazing mineral makeup that will make your skin look amazing...if your skin is in decent shape already. i bought this when my skin was in okay shape, and it made my skin look soooo luminous and perfect! but lo and behold, hormones took over and i have acne and bumpy skin to deal with right now, which is not suitable for this product. because of the slight luminosity of the product, it makes any bumps more noticeable, so it is a definite no no for anybody who needs to cover up. nonetheless, the product ingredients are quite good (i think i checked up on the ingredient list before i bought it) it actually is a pure mineral foundation...as opposed to some other commercial brands that tote their products as, but not really. and it also didn`t make me break out which is a miracle in and of itself! a definite must if you don`t have major skin issues '3

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2009 8:35:00 PM More reviews by jewelzfly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this mineral make up because it has so few ingredients. My super sensitive skin seems to react to so many things that it is hard to keep up but this did not cause a reaction. My first Merle Norman experience was a good one. I came in to a friendly representative that took note of my allergies and had me try this on. I like the texture, feel and price of this foundation. I just wish the coverage were a bit heavier but that is true of all mineral foundations. It becomes orangey if you layer it too much. The best part is that my skin does not react to this. Now that it is winter and my skin is on the dry side, I can't use this because it highlights my dryness even with a good moisturizer on underneath. I do like that it stays on all day and does not need a lot of touching up. With BE I found myself with a melted off face by noon. For the price you get this huge container that is sure to last for long, long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2009 2:03:00 PM More reviews by korean

i purchased this color in L-20. like other reviewers have stated, when you look at the powder it does have obvious sparkles in it, but once buffed they disappear and you get the mineral makeup dewy look.

L-10 is listed as the lightest color but when i compared L-10 to L-20 , i think l-20 is lighter/brighter on my skin.

size--
it comes in a clear plastic jar with a gold lid, it also has sifter , it contains 14 grams, .50 0z.

the price --
i can't remember exactly after tax and all- but i think it was a little over 30 dollars.

pros-
1.it truly is a pure mineral makeup. very few ingredients. would be good for really sensitive skin, no scent.
2.alot of product comes in one jar.

cons-
1.the coverage is sheerer than i hoped. not as good as bare minerals (i use fairly light 1.2). it did not cover red acne marks .
2.also the color range is more on the pink side , i prefer yellow based makeup.( i am a fair/med toned asian/latina).i could not find a true match with this line .
3.you have to find a merle norman store to get color matched.

i really wanted to like this product after reading great reviews . but my final conclusion is that i will stick to my bare minerals .

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2009 5:39:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well I'm still kind of on the fence with this make up. I have been an on and off customer of Merle Norman for years. While I haven't loved every product I must say that most Merle Norman products are superior to most other make up brands. The mineral make up is no exception. I think it is a beautiful soft powder with a lovely texture. When I first heard that Merle Norman had a mineral make up, I couldn't wait to get it because I just knew it would be awesome and I expected it to be my favorite mmu of all time. Sadly this hasn't been the case. First of I find it to be a little too glowy (read shiney) but that has been my complaint with all mmu's. Merle Norman isn't the worst for this but it isn't great either. Secondly when you build it for coverage it looks kind of heavy and makeupy, but mineral make up is supposed to be natural looking. Lastly and I think most importantly is the color selection. I think I would love this make up if only there was a better color match for me. I have very yellow medium dark skin, the only color that was the right shade for me skin in terms of darkness has a slightly pinkish undertone. I absolutely cannot have even the slightest pink in my foundation as it turns my complexion ashen and I think that this only worsens the shine and heavy make up look of it. If they had some darker golden shades I'm sure I would fall in love with this stuff. It is simply a beautiful product and it feels fantastic on my face. Not only that but I was pleasantly surprised by the price. It was slightly more expensive then my other favorite mineral make up but the jar was huge! I'm sure just one jar would last me for a year or better. Merle Norman please put out some more shades of this awesome make up.

**UPDATE**
Just wanted to come back and say that after trying many many mmus merle norman's is definitely the most superior I have tried BE, Pur, Smashbox Halo, Em and Merle Norman and Merle Norman wins handsdown. Not to mention the price. $35 but the jar is huge and I've been using it for a whole year. It's only half gone! Still didn't give it 5 lippies because I'm holding out for a better color match..haha. However I can make the color I have work if I buff it in a lot. I have been using Merle Norman make-up since I was 23 years old and I have yet to find a line of make-up that compares to theirs. They are better then Mac, Elizabeth Arden, Smashbox, Makeup forever, Benefit and a whole slew of others that I have tried over the years. I wish Merle Norman would update their look and market themselves to younger women. Their products outshine all the others but they don't seem to advertise much and their boutiques are outdated and not customer friendly. They keep everything in secretive little drawers and you have to ask a salesperson for help. Seems they don't like people wandering around and playing with the products which is the fun of going to a place like Sephora. I can spend hours in Sephora trying out all the products and feeling like a kid in a candy store..lol. Wish Merle Norman would be as welcoming.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No