August 29, 2014 | 967 users online

Eyeliner - Kanebo - KATE Gel Eye Liner

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by laru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this more than my MAC Fluidline which was more expensive (but also gives a bit more product). But in Kate's favor, there's a brush included, a very nice brush I might add. I now use this brush to apply my MAC Fluidline when I choose to use it (which is not that often). I bought the basic black after reading some negative reviews of the glitter irritating the eyes, since I wear contacts, I didn't want to take the risk. I am very pleased with this gel liner. It produces a very crisp and clean line when I want it to, but can also be smudged a bit when just applied to create a softer look. In comparison, my MAC seems to only be able to draw a soft, smudgy-ish line. And if I do manage to get a line crisp and sharp, it inevitably smudges into a soft shadowy look. The staying power of Kate's liner is also superior to MAC's. I have slept in my makeup on a few occasions, and when I wake up, MAC's is always mysteriously gone. Not under my lids or anywhere, just gone. On the other hand, my Kate is always still perfectly where I applied it the day before. The texture in the pot is a bit firmer than that of MAC's, to which I attribute its staying power and clean line. I would definitely repurchase this in black, and maybe different colors as it's roughly $10. This is probably my HG gel liner, and I will not go back to MAC unless they release some super gorgeous color unavailable in Kate's line.

EDIT: I've had this for about 4 months and it's gotten sort of dry and hard. It still lasts a while on my lids, so I like it, but it's become more difficult to draw a clean line with it. I'm not sure I would repurchase this liner, although I probably will for the brush because it's just that amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by mascaraglosslippie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This eyeliner is a great buy I have it in BL-1, it comes in six shades (that I know of): SV-1- silver metallic
GD-1- gold metallic
BR-1- flat brown
BL-1- flat black
PU-1- purply blue
BK-3- black with shimmer
If I got any wrong, sorry. Not all of them were available in Taiwan. Well, at least not in the Watson's near my hotel. Anyway.
The eyeliner comes in a cute little glass pot which feels sturdy. The pot is actually pretty tiny, but judging by the amount I use every time it should last me ages. It comes with a brush, black handle fairly simple design. Very good brush, thin and thick lines are relatively easy with a bit of practice. Also, reading the other reviews I noticed someone said the brush had no cap; mine has a flexible plastic one.
The consisteny of the eyeliner isn't really a gel to me, more of cream, but slightly harder. It applies nicely, very black.
My favourite thing about it is the staying power! I rub my eyes constantly, and it didn't budge. Once I perfected a cat eye, I went out and on my way back home I got caught in a rainstorm. Looked in the mirror once it was over and it was pristine, same after I got into the shower.
Seriously good eyeliner.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2008 1:30:00 AM More reviews by x3adoratiions

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in BK-2 (black with bits of glitter) and i love it! I use this on my upper lids and it has excellent staying power especially on my oily lids. Sometimes the glitter can get annoying because it tends to fall into my eye leading to excessive blinking =P I really like its cute packaging and the GREAT application brush it comes with - it allows you to make thick or thin lines.

Although i had to deduct one lippie because of the expensive price for the little pot of 2.5g - $AU38 (ouch!) and it was only suppose to be worth around $AU17 =(

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by oldoldwisebear

I bought BK-1. Think only Kate offers black with shimmer, although the review is so-so. Small pot, have been using it on every weekdays for 6 mths now and think it will last for another 1 yr. Bought it at promotional price (MYR 30+). Comes with a brush that makes life easier. However, the color is not too lasting esp when you've got oily eyelids.

Will buy the pdt again but am thinking to give Bobbi Brown's a try as well ^^;;

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2008 4:33:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

This is my first time trying gel liner. I have heard all the raves but having plenty of liquid and pencil liners, I never made the trip to a counter to buy one.

I wish I had access to kate's gel liner sooner. It came out in Japan the month after I left (Feb 07) and it took me a year to get some! :P I
When I had a chance to buy kate's gel liner, I was very eager because it has such a reasonable price for liner AND brush!
The first time I used the brush, I was really impressed. I do not own expensive brushes, so I can't compare to other brands, but I thought the brush did a great job of getting in between gaps in my upper lashes. It is a great size, easy to create a thick or thin line. The only thing I would like is some sort of cap for it, but that is not a complaint.

I have it in BLK-1, the plain black color. It has a harder texture than I expected. I used very little the first time I applied, because I was not sure how much I would need.
I could see it would not be difficult to get the hang of using it.
You only need very little to line both eyes, even if you also do your waterline/under the lashline and extend liner into cat eyes! As a test, I took a shower with it on. When i got out, my mascara was under my eyes (non waterproof) but the liner did not budge. Today I did the same thing, and I was amazed the liner stayed dry, exactly where I put it.
I am not used to difficult to remove makeup, and I would say this requires a little more effort than my other eye makeup (which will come off with water and a little cleanser) but it is not inconveniently difficult to remove. A cotton bud and warm water / eye makeup remover is fine.

My conclusion - Kate's gel liner is a great deal! So economical for a great liner and brush. I am now thinking of all the days I went clubbing, and how my makeup vanished - with this product I would not have had that problem!

I definitely want to try other colors, and am officially converted to gel liner. Judging by the little amount you use, this liner would last a long time before needing to be repurchased. I can not judge whether the pot dries out or not over time, but even if it does, I have read a little saline can rejuvenate it.

I gave the packaging a 4, because obviously there is nothing wrong with it, but it's not gorgeous as some other japanese makeup (like jill stuart). I gave the price a 2, because I bought it for close to the japanese retail price of 1500yen, which I think is extremely reasonable.

Absolute re-buy for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2008 6:29:00 PM More reviews by blacklittlepig

This is a gel liner like bobbi brown or smashbox.... i haven't tried those b4... but this KATE one is wonderful..

first... it comes with a little brush... quite good quality
2nd... it's not too expensive.. cuz little goes a long way...
i got the solid black.. which is very nice... you can add the blackness by adding more to it, or jus get a soft black line..
3rd... itz REALLY waterproof... because the first time i used it.. i tried it on my hands.. and then it became dry and i wanted to wash it off... i put my hands under running water.. n it didnt smudge or anything.. i had to use soap... and rub rub rub to get it off....

very easy to control
i got it online for around $18... very good quality.. will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by dollface_vixen

I was smitten upon first application! The texture is soft and smooth so it spreads evenly. It gives a solid, fluid line, like a liquid liner but much easier to apply. I have BK-3, the "metallic" black colour. It's not exactly a metallic colour, more like a soft black with tiny iridescent sparkles. As for smudging? None. However, it did fade on the inner corners of my eye by the end of the day. Other than that, it's awesome. =] P.S. Clean the brush often! The the gel hardens on the bristles and because the texture of the gel is so soft, the brush makes the gel a bit crumbly. I clean off the excess with a tissue everytime I use it and clean it with brush cleaner and water once a week. Soap works fine too.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 8:06:00 PM More reviews by shevaun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this product and use it everyday. I have the black with glitter, brown, and gold versions. The black glitter isn't TOO glittery, but I only wear it when I go out.

I've always had a difficult time using liquid liner since I'm so shaky, and this gel liner is really easy for me to apply and get the look that I want. The brush that is included is the perfect size and stiffness, so I can be really precise in my line.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2008 4:08:00 PM More reviews by resph99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

its a really nice eyeliner. it's kinda pricey but it comes with a brush so i guess it's ok. the consistency is ok but sometimes it builds up. there's glitter in it but not too "disco" looking lol. it stays on as long as you want it on and the colors are intense.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 10:13:00 AM More reviews by QAlice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Color: BK-1 Solid creamy Black

Texture: Think gel-like liquid, opaque (1 layer would be enough)

Pros:
Super long-wear, smudge-proof
Same high quality as Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner (trusted me, I used to use BB Sepia Ink years ago)
Come is brush in fairly good quality, think to thin liner could be achieved easily
Excellent price (less then 1/3 of the BB Gel + BB Brush), nice color selection and easy to access (www.adambeauty.com)

Cons: Sold out everywhere when it first come out LOL

Overall:
Great stuff, I would definitely purchase when the Spring 08 color is out! (eyeing the metallic silver, hope it rival Shiseido!!!)