August 29, 2014 | 1356 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Raevyn

I've been using this for well over 2 years now, and it suits me very well.
I have combination skin that tends towards dryness in winter, and find this product stands up well against a hot Australian summer. I am extremely pale, and wear Make Up Store's matte formula foundation over the top, which needs hydrated skin and a good primer base for a flawless finish.
I used Laura Mercier oil free primer, and while I still like it I find this one much better - some days I don't use foundation over the top because it makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
One thing I will say - the packaging does need a review as it can be messy, however the 2oz bottle lasts for ages as you only need a little bit for the entire face.
Yes, you do need to wait a few mins for it to really settle on your skin, but it's not that big a deal, just do your eyes while you wait. About to buy my 3rd bottle, highly recommend it.

I'd also like to point out that while this product does contain Lavender Oil, which has been proved to be toxic to human skin cells, it isn't toxic until levels of 0.25% have been reached - that would mean 141 milligrams of this product would need to be pure lavender oil for any damage to be done. I highly doubt there is that much Lavender Oil in it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by caz5000

Been using this for about two months and I don't like it. I don't find it does anything for pores, or make my make up look any better or last any longer.

The product has now split, meaning the tube is filled with stuff that looks like cottage cheese and some water.

Complete waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2011 9:49:00 AM More reviews by sherrier

This is a pretty good product. I have never used a primer before so I really have nothing to compare it to but I do like it. It makes my skin smoother and my foundation stays on longer. My blush goes on nicer also. It fills in my fine lines and helps make my pores look smaller. I have not had any breakouts and I have been using daily for 4 weeks. The only thing I don't like is how messy around the opening and inside the lid gets. But that is the only thing I dislike about this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2011 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Philipmom02

Did give a smooth base to apply my foundation but I didn't notice any longer coverage than without it. Waiting the two minutes for it to dry got kinda old after having to do the same with my moisturizer before it. It didn't have an offending smell and I felt like I got a large amount for the price vs philosophy's other primer hence why I bought it. I haven't tried the tinted primer so I can't compare the two. Its a large tube and it should last me a while but I'll be trying something different next time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 9:17:00 PM More reviews by lehzheng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I dont see how this could work as a "barrier" between my face and my make up. I dont see any difference at all. THis is quite cooling to the skin and I guess this could work as a moisturizer, but beyond that I dont see the point of keeping this. Back it goes!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by JMWT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was disappointed with this product. It claims to minimise the appearance of pores and it does do that, but the effect is very shortlived and my face seems to get oily quicker than when I am not wearing this product. Also I didn't find that my makeup stayed put any longer than usual. My hunt for the perfect primer continues . . .

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2011 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Candace8592

There isn't much to say about this product becuase it didn't do much. I wanted to love this but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
This claims to be a primer so I used it as one. It made my makeup look worse and didn't fill in any pores or scars. But then I read that this really isn't a primer that it is a no foundation foundation. So I wore it alone. My flaws looked the same. It also broke me out after a week. this went right back to sephora.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2011 5:18:00 PM More reviews by nrepin

This product was awful. I have a very nice Chanel foundation that usually goes on like silk. I applied this right before my foundation, after my moisturizer and made sure to wait the two minutes. My skin seemed ok, slightly matte, which I like. When i tried to put my foundation on it caked and was streaky and impossible to blend. Throughout the day my skin had white-ish patches on it where the product had clumped together. I will not be using it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2011 5:32:00 PM More reviews by liltweety

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i think this primer is better for mineral makeup only because when i used with liquid it does however fill in lines and wrinkles but i think its more matte and it made me look like a powdery effect. It didn't look right on me. I am going to try it with mineral makeup. I am going to stick with my dewy finish not matte...

I will keep you updated..
Anyone had this problem??

rated 2 of 5 on 12/23/2010 12:50:00 AM More reviews by redhedgrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Please note that this product contains lavender oil, which, based on the research done by Paula Begoun, The Cosmetics Cop (and I checked up on it myself) can contribute to skin cell death. There is no reason to have lavender oil in a product like this other than for aromatherapy/scenting purposes, and it's unnecessary even for that, as other types of scents that are not harmful in any way to skin could be used. I find that a lot of Philosophy's products contain contradictory ingredients for what the product *claims* to do. Check out Paula Begoun's Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, a very good resource if you don't want to waste money on skin care or makeup. Once I read in that book that The Present contains lavender oil and could be slowly ruining my skin, I figured there are MUCH better primers out there that don't contain unnecessary and damaging ingredients and are half the price of the $22 for this product.