December 20, 2014 | 1178 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 11:45:00 AM More reviews by user1988

My boyfriend can't stand any kind of musky scents so I only wear "new" scents everywhere else. I got this in sample size, sprayed once... left for school. It's way too strong and musky, which really distracted me and probably the person sitting next to me too. Good thing I didn't wear this around my boyfriend, he would've died from the smell.

Edit: Couldn't find the exact words to describe how I felt until I read this: "On my skin this creates the impression of a sickeningly sweet smell covering up a noxious rotting odor." <--- yep that's it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2009 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ekma2008

I am very surprised with the reviews here. For the first few minutes I could not understand what it smells like, but then my husband told me that I smell like bubblegum.Yes, It is a melon bubblegum. Perhaps that is black truffle, and I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. Maybe, but I would not buy it. And the smell didnt change at all on me, but stayed for a really long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2009 9:22:00 AM More reviews by danai

This frag really smells sophisticated and expensive. It's also a deep, smoky, seductive scent. Sexy yet very classy. I think it's more appropriate for fall/winter, as it's quite a strong one; it doesn't just sit there inoffensively, it makes a statement. Already considering it as a gift to self for this Christmas:-)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by MissSparkles

Sexy, daring, bold and seductive. Wear it if you dare. Definitely not for wallflowers :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2009 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

Now this fragrance deserves a round of applause*
Black Orchid is what i've been looking for. Very deep and mysterious. Sweet yet Femme Fatale all rolled up in one. Spice and dark chocolate..ummm. You can't judge this fragrance right out of the bottle..you have to give her time to develope and my god does she smell good. The bottle......sophisticado.One of my all time favorites.
UPDATE: Signature scent*

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2009 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Threshold

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Black Orchid (not its nasty little cousin Black Orchid Voile de Fleur) is a scent that reaches in and touches the soul. It IS "black"... or so purple that its black. It is night, it is winter, it is deep sleep, it is exotic mystery, and it is comforting too.

"Top notes of Black Truffle and Ylang mingled with fresh Bergamot and delectable Black Currant.
Middle notes of dark, tempting Florals and rich Fruit Accords. The heart is deepened with the intoxicating Lotus Wood.
Base notes of Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver. Vanilla Tears add a fluid creaminess to warm Balsam and smooth Sandalwood."

I find I am wearing this more and more; a scent that is perfect for all seasons, especially at night or winter-day wear. I am a scent addict and find this to be one of the most exquisite blends in my extensive collection. It is *certainly* among the finest Tom Ford blends, Champaca Absolute Private Blend being another fave. EDP goes for days, while edt will the wearer through a long day.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2009 2:09:00 AM More reviews by kabukiKILLER

I thought it was a bit overpowering at first, but this seriously lasts for days if you don't sweat. I sprayed it on a card at the store, and it was still fragrant a week and a half after. The smell is very intoxicating and kind of androgynous on me. I don't think a girl should need to have a love interest to wear good perfume, so I got this simply because I couldn't stop sniffing it. There are some dupes for it, but none of them are perfect. It is extremely expensive, but I think it'll be worth it if you really like it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2009 7:16:00 PM More reviews by jennifer42

This is a big fragrance; even for someone who likes it, I couldn't imagine this being used often. Black Orchid opens with a heady, overripe plum - on later wearings the overripeness went into "rotting" territory - with an undercurrent of allspice, candy, and musk. On my skin this creates the impression of a sickeningly sweet smell covering up a noxious rotting odor. I can't wear this one.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had this perfume for such a long time now and have not written a review. I can only guess that I was enjoying it so much last winter that reviewing was far away from my mind or maybe I had been spending too much time on the makeup board. I knew I had something special when a work collegue that I have work with for the past eight years but have never spoken to each other complimented me on this perfume. She actually spoke! She complimented me, asked me what it was and asked if it would be ok if she got the same one. Strange... perfumes bring people together. We now got to lunch every now and then and have realized that we are both lovers of perfumes and have a lot in common.

This is a very rich, deep and sophisticated perfume. It is not for the faint of hart or those who are not wanting to be noticed. I can see this perfume being enjoyed and loved by all women who like rich perfumes with depth but definitely not for the aqua de or light/fresh type of girls.

Though this perfume is touted as being unisex in certain circles, I could not imagine me as a woman having serious conversation with a man who wears this. I do not see this an being unisex. No! The bottle is also very special. This I can see on a man dressing table.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 4:18:00 AM More reviews by ruqayya33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm soooooo surprised that no one has yet to review this awesome EDP by Tom Ford!!!

Black Orchid is a heady, sexy, spicy-oriental floral. I can definitely smell the Black Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Lotus Wood, Orchid, Spicy Floral Accord, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Incense and Vanilla... while I don't get much of the Bergamot, Citrus and Mandarin. (I have no idea what the "Tom Ford Black Orchid Accord," which is also supposed to be in this scent, should/would smell like...)

On me, this EDP lasts 8+ hours. One spray is more than enough!!! While this may be too much for day time, casual wear and the office, it's a great scent for a night out....