Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is my signature fragrance. My husband bought it for me for Mother's Day two years ago, and I've been wearing it ever since. I love the sophisticated smell of it, and it was a nice substitution for my Fendi, which was my favorite since I was a teenager. I always get compliments on my Black Orchid, especially when I pair it with the lotion.

I personally really love this fragrance, but you have to like dark, sophisticated (and even a little complicated) scents for this one to float your boat. If you're more into playful, clean, bright florals, run the other way.

My only reasons for not giving 5 lippies is due to the price. This stuff is expensive.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Cannot stop smelling Black Orchid b/c it's so interesting. It's like black licorice -- you love it, or you don't get it. Seems like I pick up a different note every time I smell it. I can't decide if it's for a young vs. older woman, soft and powdery like a nursery or femme fatale. I thought I was a Fracas girl but to me this is much sexier. Kudos to Tom Ford for a wonderful creation that keeps me addicted. Great bottle and lasts all day.

My boyfriend can't stand any kind of musky scents so I only wear "new" scents everywhere else. I got this in sample size, sprayed once... left for school. It's way too strong and musky, which really distracted me and probably the person sitting next to me too. Good thing I didn't wear this around my boyfriend, he would've died from the smell.

Edit: Couldn't find the exact words to describe how I felt until I read this: "On my skin this creates the impression of a sickeningly sweet smell covering up a noxious rotting odor." <--- yep that's it.

I am very surprised with the reviews here. For the first few minutes I could not understand what it smells like, but then my husband told me that I smell like bubblegum.Yes, It is a melon bubblegum. Perhaps that is black truffle, and I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. Maybe, but I would not buy it. And the smell didnt change at all on me, but stayed for a really long time.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This frag really smells sophisticated and expensive. It's also a deep, smoky, seductive scent. Sexy yet very classy. I think it's more appropriate for fall/winter, as it's quite a strong one; it doesn't just sit there inoffensively, it makes a statement. Already considering it as a gift to self for this Christmas:-)

Sexy, daring, bold and seductive. Wear it if you dare. Definitely not for wallflowers :)

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Now this fragrance deserves a round of applause*
Black Orchid is what i've been looking for. Very deep and mysterious. Sweet yet Femme Fatale all rolled up in one. Spice and dark chocolate..ummm. You can't judge this fragrance right out of the bottle..you have to give her time to develope and my god does she smell good. The bottle......sophisticado.One of my all time favorites.
UPDATE: Signature scent*

Black Orchid (not its nasty little cousin Black Orchid Voile de Fleur) is a scent that reaches in and touches the soul. It IS "black"... or so purple that its black. It is night, it is winter, it is deep sleep, it is exotic mystery, and it is comforting too.

"Top notes of Black Truffle and Ylang mingled with fresh Bergamot and delectable Black Currant.
Middle notes of dark, tempting Florals and rich Fruit Accords. The heart is deepened with the intoxicating Lotus Wood.
Base notes of Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver. Vanilla Tears add a fluid creaminess to warm Balsam and smooth Sandalwood."

I find I am wearing this more and more; a scent that is perfect for all seasons, especially at night or winter-day wear. I am a scent addict and find this to be one of the most exquisite blends in my extensive collection. It is *certainly* among the finest Tom Ford blends, Champaca Absolute Private Blend being another fave. EDP goes for days, while edt will the wearer through a long day.

I thought it was a bit overpowering at first, but this seriously lasts for days if you don't sweat. I sprayed it on a card at the store, and it was still fragrant a week and a half after. The smell is very intoxicating and kind of androgynous on me. I don't think a girl should need to have a love interest to wear good perfume, so I got this simply because I couldn't stop sniffing it. There are some dupes for it, but none of them are perfect. It is extremely expensive, but I think it'll be worth it if you really like it.

This is a big fragrance; even for someone who likes it, I couldn't imagine this being used often. Black Orchid opens with a heady, overripe plum - on later wearings the overripeness went into "rotting" territory - with an undercurrent of allspice, candy, and musk. On my skin this creates the impression of a sickeningly sweet smell covering up a noxious rotting odor. I can't wear this one.

Popular Fragrances