Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I bought my jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil from Sprouts. I believe the brand is Natures Way. Currently using it as a makeup remover and it working great for that. I use to use the clear red foaming cleanser by Clean n Clear to remove a face full of makeup( I always wear full coverage foundation when I wear makeup) but that never took off everything because I would always see remnants of makeup after I'd use toner as well as sting the crap out of my eyes. The coconut oil on the other hand does great at removing everything and doesn't sting my eyes at all. It smells amazing and leaves my face soft after I wash it off with a warm wash cloth. Because I have oily skin I do feel like there is a slight oily film after I wipe my face with the wash cloth so I'll usually do a final scrub with a mild cleanser from Trader Joe's and the results are great IMO. My face feels squeaky skin and soft. There's a *glow* to my skin everytime I remove my makeup and wash my face with this method. Most importantly, it doesn't break me out but that might not be the case if I use this as a moisturizer. Could have the potential of clogging pores if left to sink into skin for longer periods. The only reason why I'm giving it 4stars is because of the packaging. Oil gets everywhere, so I'm going to pick up an empty dispenser bottle from Target to transfer this to.

on 7/3/2014 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I gave it many chances, and the first time I opened it and smelled it I loved it and wanted to believe it would help with my skin issues.
3+ years later, I've uses it every way possible. But I really regret putting it on my face. So many clogged pores, im not kidding. And those things dont just fall out, have to extract them and wait months for the little scar to fade. And yet people kept telling me to rub more oil into them to "slip them out" lol.
It sits on the face and clogs, and makes hair limp and stringy. Im done with this naturopath hype.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Ahh, coconut oil. Amazing on the skin: I have ridiculously dry skin in the winter, add to that the irritating anti-acne products that I use and you have peeling and flaking-- disgusting stuff. I used aquaphor, eucerin, covered my face in that stuff every night and it didn't help, I just woke up all greasy and disgusting.

Started using just this and african black soap, and it was MIRACULOUS. Healed all of the peeling and flaking and returned my sad skin to health. It sinks it really nicely and leaves your face baby soft-- I can't stop touching my face ever since I started using it! My skin felt so horrible and rough before, and now it feels amazing and smooth.

It's also amazing as a makeup remover, as a face wash, as a hair conditioner, and it smells subtle and yummy! You can cook with it, but I have not yet tried myself.

You can also use it as an awesome lip balm, it restores lips really quickly.

Overall 10/10 miracle product! Only thing is, it could clog pores so you don't want to use it every day.

I buy the tub found in the medicine aisle, Natures Way. Put it on the ends of my hair 3x a week, rub the remainder onto my scalp. Makes hair super shiny and smooth without weighing it down. Smells yum too!

on 6/14/2014 3:48:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Ok I have oily skin and this does NOT work, maybe it works for dry skin? But one things for sure it 100% does not work on oily skin. It feels rank, slimy and greasy and when I wash my face it's still all stuck on there, and will not budge at all. Even when I use a normal cleanser to try and get rid of the grease it does not move at all. I bought the unrefined virgin coconut oil from woolies and it has sat in my bedroom for like 3 months im thinking of either chucking it in the bin or palming it off onto some poor unwilling victim. Will not buy again.

on 6/13/2014 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have been using organic unrefined virgin coconut oil (across two brands/jars) as a sugar facial cleanser/scrub as well as moisturiser (mixed with lavender oil) for some months now, and it's done me quite well so far - but not spectacularly, which is slightly disappointing considering all the hype about the wonders of coconut oil.

- Improved general appearance of skin, but them blackheads tho:
It is a very decent cleanser (no soap! totes amaze) and does its job in ridding sebum, dirt, etc. I have gotten to enjoy some periods of good days when my skin was visibly clear. Unfortunately, I'd still have some noteable blackheads around my nose which I'd have to intentionally scrub away and prevent with lemon baking soda. I wish coconut oil could just help with it all, but the potential of coconut oil clogging your pores might be the issue here.

- Super greasy skin no more!:
I used to have very oily skin, but coconut oil has zapped away the grease by providing enough moisture. However, I have been left with one or two dry patches which coconut oil cannot exactly remedy (dryness likely caused by tea tree oil or ACV). And watch the amount of coconut oil you put on your face - it is very true that a little of this stuff goes a long way, as an excessive amount can leave your face unnecessarily oily (coconut oily) and clog your pores.

- Not exactly the miracle acne-zapper (external use):
I have light-medium acne and tend to break out hormonally. Unfortunately, CO has done nothing for my hormonal acne and I've curiously had breakouts on my jaw/neck area. Perhaps it's the way I cleanse and wash my face & how greasy my hair can get. And truth be told, there have been days when I fell lazy and did not wash my face (it doesn't help that my face doesn't get oily anymore, ironically thanks to coconut oil!), so that could definitely be a factor. I am also not faithful with daily oil pulling, and only occasionally take coconut oil internally.

All in all, it's good enough for me to be content with using it, and not to mention the many uses coconut oil can offer beyond facial skin care! While I would still be happy to recommend it to others, I am currently contemplating trying other oils which might work better for my skin (or jaw/neck, in my case?).

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I see what all the hype is about! Finally bought a jar, and used it as a hair mask so far, and it's made a huge improvement!

on 6/10/2014 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

HOLY GRAIL product I use it for a number of things I use it on my hair, I also mix it in with my conditioner for deep conditioning it can feel heavy on the hair though especially if you have fine hair like I do and like to stretch out the time between washes I have very long hair (waist length) and frequent washing causes breakage for me but it really does add shine to dark hair and makes hair thicker. Because of its antibacterial properties its excellent as shaving cream and prevents ingrown hairs. I also slap some coconut oil all over my body before I exfoliate my skin. I tried using this as a make up remover at first it made my skin so soft and it was wonderful because it even removes water proof mascara but within a week it clogged my pores and I broke out :( still a great product though just don't use it on my face or neck because of acne. I have gone through countless jars of it and will never be without it

update coconut oil started to make my hair feel like straw apparently its supposed stop protein loss in hair well my hair was getting crunchy from too much protein this exasperated the problem.
it doesn't moisturise my body skin much and gives my face skin acne strange story but Iv used this to get rid of a bad case of thrush nothing else worked!! sorry if this is TMI but I just put a scoop of coconut oil inside of down there literally the next day the itchiness was gone. Coconut oil is suppose to have great anti bacterial properties.
I have a sneaking suspicion that my eczema hasn't resurfaced in over 12 months because I use this constantly.
how i use it now is I mix it in with other oils and shea butter to create a lotion consistency this works on my skin and hair really well.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I'm part Indian, so I grew up using coconut oil for everything, including cooking.
I use CO as a lotion, in my hair, for oil pulling, for everything.
It makes me hair and skin so soft and shiny....
I even use it to take off my eye makeup.

on 5/26/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Terrible mistake, never again. It wont wash out of my hair. Stylist put loads of coconut oil to WET hair. Now its stuck. What can i do? Washing wont help. Hair is ruined.