Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 11/24/2014 11:33:00 PM

I LOVE COCONUT OIL!!!!!!!!!!! It leaves my skin and hair so soft! I use coconut oil to take off my makeup and it leaves my skin soft and supple. I also use it as a night time eye cream and I kid you not, no more dark circles! I use a coconut oil hair mask about once a month and my hair is soft and healthy for a whole month! It is worth the not-so-expensive investment! I also use it for baking and my morning coffee (try it!)

on 11/13/2014 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

As a mixed girl with insane curls, I thought my hair would LOVE coconut oil. Oh no. Instead of making my hair less frizzy or easier to handle, it just.....makes my hair look greasy and disgusting. I have fine hair, so maybe this was the issue. I can't even use this in my deep treatments-my hair will be so greasy and stringy and disgusting for days afterwards that it's not worth it.

On my skin? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Oh, what a nightmare. I have combination skin and decided to use this to cleanse, mixed with a little bit of honey. I woke up in the morning with the most blotchy, reddened, evil looking face.....I think this triggered my rosacea that I suffered from back in high school. I thought it would be a nice treat for my dry areas, and I only used it sparingly on my t-zone. Regardless, i had such badly clogged pores and my skin broke out so horribly that it took me almost a month to recover from the experience. Even my boyfriend was concerned because my cheeks were so red and raw looking. I've never had a breakout that bad before.

Coconut oil and I stay away from each other now. Btw, the brand I used was the Trader Joe's brand that comes in a glass bottle.

on 11/6/2014 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Cool

love coconut oil! I've been using it on my hair for as long as I can remember but only recently tried using it on my face. I can't use this everyday otherwise my pores become clogged but it works great every once in a while (couple times a month) as an overnight hydrating mask. My skin always looks amazing the morning after I've used this!

on 11/1/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am such a fan of coconut oil. I use it as a daily body moisturiser, hair treatment and for removing makeup. My boyfriend has started using it instead of shaving cream as he kept getting a shaving rash - he's loving it. The best thing about coconut oil is that's it's all natural - no chemicals or preservatives. I will always use coconut oil!

on 10/25/2014 5:03:00 AM

I have used coconut oil everyday.
- oil pulling in the morning and evening, after brushing my teeth.
- OCM for face every morning and evening.
- facial massage in the evening, while taking a bath
- hair, once for a while.
- eating it by itself or in tea or food
- cooking

it is amazing, and good price when i can find them in holland and barret half price, or in costco for a huge bottle.

[update Feb/25/2015]: because my skin becomes very dehydrated in the winter, I thought to give it a try to use it as facial moisturizer. IT WORKS. I use it every morning and evening very generously. Often one layer between serum and lotion, and one more layer after lotion and one more after it being absorbed. I tend to mix with HA toner with it. I use it very generously, so my face and hand look very greasy. I thought I might get acne, but after two weeks experiment, it is actually the level of oil my skin needs. my skin LOVES it. no more caking on foundation and first time feel hydrated skin in the winter. a MUST for dehydrate and dry skin in the winter.

Coconut oil for the face? No way! Too pore-clogging for my liking. But it's ideal for the hair and can be used in place of a serum, for dry hair ends or to tame flyaways. I use it for my hair ends once or twice a week when I'm due a hair cut - the smallest amount possible, warmed between the palms. As I have fine, bra strap length hair I have to be careful not to overload my hair and pure coconut oil is one of the few oils that my hair can tolerate as a leave-in. I can't tell you how great it is for people who 'can't do' oil - it's HG material for me.

This oil has changed my life (or at least my hair)! Really. I use a bit on the ends only after shampooing and conditioning. It helps detangle and fight frizz. My rough blow dry looks smoother and my hair is silky and stays shiny after flat ironing. A little worked through the ends of 2nd day hair that's pulled into a ponytail looks groomed and healthy rather than flyaway. Maybe my hair has just been really dry my whole life and just needed some oil. I thought I'd hate it or it would break out my problematic skin, but I love it. I rub the extra oil on my hands after doing my hair and my skin feels soft.

on 10/15/2014 3:11:00 PM

As this review is for the coconut oil as a cleanser I will tell you my experience with it (I also have reviews for other uses)- we don't have any relationship, not even as a cleanser. Which I tried once and it was enough because it is horrible. Gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores.
From time to time I like to massage my eye area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a ''veil '' on my eyes. It is also very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off. Yuck.

on 10/7/2014 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ah, what would I do without this? It's great for pretty much anything in my beauty regime. It can be a body lotion, hair mask, eye/face-makeup remover and even a face moisturizer for those with dry skin. Personally I use as a hair mask when I run out of my Organix Moroccan Oil renewing Treatment. It does the job just as well. I use it mostly though as an eye-makeup remover. I think it's really gentle. I first gently wash my eyelids and eyelash with warm water to get rid of the stiff mascara sitting on it then I get a cotton ball put some coconut oil on my eyelids and gently rub off the smudged excess. It's so gentle and doesn't leave my eyes watery. It moisturizes my eyelids and under eyes before I go to bed.

2015 ... omg i found another awesome self treatment with this. I get a teaspoon of this, warm it up with my hands and put some sugar on and it works as an amaaaazing hand scrub. It exfoliates beautifully and i can see the difference as my hand looked whiter after. Plus the coconut oil nourished my hands so well. And trust me it leaves your hands so soft like petals. I do this at least once a week because my hands tend to get dry.

on 10/1/2014 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

*This review is for coconut oil as a cleanser/makeup remover*

I wanted to love this because I thought it would be an affordable and natural way of removing my makeup/cleansing my face, but unfortunately my skin hated it.

For reference, the brand I used was Loving Earth Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I used this by applying to dry skin, massaging to cleanse and remove makeup and then used a hot washcloth to remove it. It took more than one washcloth for me to remove the residue of this from my skin and despite the fact that my makeup was removed my skin still felt really dirty.

I broke out in deep, cystic acne on my cheeks that took weeks to heal and I now have scarring that I am trying to fade. This seems to work so well for some people but for me it was awful. I have since started using a cleansing balm that emulsifies when wet and am much more satisfied with the results.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products